What are you experienced renting by the room? - Househack

What are you experienced renting by the room? - Househack

Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

It always intrigue me that people are willing to do house hacks without an ADU or an additional living unit. It seems crazy to me to share the same refrigerator and thermostat. Seems like a constant headache and argument...

What are your thought/experiences?

Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
View Page
1Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
2y

It’s college living. Except instead of spending a fortune you’re building wealth. Definitely not for everyone but if you can sacrifice for a little while, why not? 

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
    2y

    It’s college living. Except instead of spending a fortune you’re building wealth. Definitely not for everyone but if you can sacrifice for a little while, why not? 

  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y

    Whenever I see properties that are being sold by an owner who did SROs they are usually in rough shape. The better ones seem to have a dorm room structure of cleaning and caring for the units with chore assignments. It does seem like the owner is less of a landlord and more of a glorified RA. 

    If you can find the right tenants and live there as long as possible to make sure care is given to the space, I believe that will go along way. 

    Just be careful about the lease structure when you get ready to sell. Having leaving leases line up so that any future owner can easily move in or even get financing is ideal. It will help with your exit strategy...down the road. Definitely ask your realtor in your market about that. Please give advise on here based mostly on the thing they see in their market and experience. I'm in also in a large city- Chicago. It's wise to think about these things even if you're 10 years away from selling. Best of luck! 

  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    2y

    @Alan Asriants

    Most people think this way, which is why it's a massive opportunity in my opinion. 

    I've done it twice in Reno, NV and it's changed my life and boosted my net worth significantly. 

    As @Daniel McDonald said, it's college living and definitely not for everyone. 

    But, if someone does the same thing as everyone else, and expects different results, would it be unreasonable to call that crazy...? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2021 · 147 posts · 150 votes
    2y

    Hey @Alan Asriants

    I agree with @Jake Andronico & @Daniel McDonald, it isn't for everyone, but it can certainly help those that do it. I'd say it can be a major hack for a younger person that wants to subsidize mortgage with room mates. I was on the other side of this as a renter in my early & mid twenties. Looking back at it, I wish I owned the home and rented out the rooms instead. I most certainly would have been further along in my investing career. 

    Many argue that I couldn't imagine doing it with a family. Once again, it isn't for everyone, but the sacrifice can be rewarding in the long-run. I personally know several families with spouses and children that rent out a portion of their home (finished basement/private entrance room, etc.) that offset their mortgage substantially. This allows them more financial flexibility, more discretionary spending, working less, and more time with loved ones. 

    There were my two cents. Haha

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Daniel McDonald:

    It’s college living. Except instead of spending a fortune you’re building wealth. Definitely not for everyone but if you can sacrifice for a little while, why not? 


     Guess you just have to be preppared for it and really screen your tenants. Most of my college roommates were a nightmare...

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Sarita Scherpereel:

    Whenever I see properties that are being sold by an owner who did SROs they are usually in rough shape. The better ones seem to have a dorm room structure of cleaning and caring for the units with chore assignments. It does seem like the owner is less of a landlord and more of a glorified RA. 

    If you can find the right tenants and live there as long as possible to make sure care is given to the space, I believe that will go along way. 

    Just be careful about the lease structure when you get ready to sell. Having leaving leases line up so that any future owner can easily move in or even get financing is ideal. It will help with your exit strategy...down the road. Definitely ask your realtor in your market about that. Please give advise on here based mostly on the thing they see in their market and experience. I'm in also in a large city- Chicago. It's wise to think about these things even if you're 10 years away from selling. Best of luck! 


     From agent side def agree with lease structure when it comes to selling. I wouldn't recommend that my sellers still have rent by the room lease options in place. Also pretty certain you have to have the proper licensing in most area to do this kind of lease structure legally...

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Beverly, MA · Member since 2019 · 358 posts · 308 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:
    Quote from @Daniel McDonald:

    It’s college living. Except instead of spending a fortune you’re building wealth. Definitely not for everyone but if you can sacrifice for a little while, why not? 


     Guess you just have to be preppared for it and really screen your tenants. Most of my college roommates were a nightmare...


     Yes you do…as you should for any rental. Don’t skimp on screening or you will pay for it. Literally and figuratively. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    2y
    I did it for almost 5 years with minimal issues back in 2010's. It's super common in your teens and 20s and I think the invention of BP has made it a bigger deal than it is. All my friends did it and that's how I got the idea. Saved a ton on my monthly expenses which I blew on cars and car parts. Now I do small multis instead which is much easier. 

    Totally worth it for someone under 30 and single. Live like no one else will now so you can live like no one else later! Or something like that.
  • Sarita ScherpereelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 659 posts · 376 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan Asriants:
    Quote from @Sarita Scherpereel:

    Whenever I see properties that are being sold by an owner who did SROs they are usually in rough shape. The better ones seem to have a dorm room structure of cleaning and caring for the units with chore assignments. It does seem like the owner is less of a landlord and more of a glorified RA. 

    If you can find the right tenants and live there as long as possible to make sure care is given to the space, I believe that will go along way. 

    Just be careful about the lease structure when you get ready to sell. Having leaving leases line up so that any future owner can easily move in or even get financing is ideal. It will help with your exit strategy...down the road. Definitely ask your realtor in your market about that. Please give advise on here based mostly on the thing they see in their market and experience. I'm in also in a large city- Chicago. It's wise to think about these things even if you're 10 years away from selling. Best of luck! 


     From agent side def agree with lease structure when it comes to selling. I wouldn't recommend that my sellers still have rent by the room lease options in place. Also pretty certain you have to have the proper licensing in most area to do this kind of lease structure legally...


    Definitely less structure. And harder to work through those details with traditional lenders. 

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Alan Asriants I lived among guests at my two B&Bs for 25 years. Some regular overnight guests and some were people who stayed with me from anywhere from 20 nights in a row to a couple of 6-9 month stays.

    I only had a real problem 1 time during those 25 years when I ended up with a full house (22 guests) and two of the rooms were from a different culture that stayed up late into the night and ended up annoying the other guests stomping around and making noise.

    It was never a problem with the extended stay guests that were sharing my kitchen. We simply all respected the space when someone else was cooking. I also had a good sized regular fridge and a decent sized mini fridge which made sharing fridge space easy.

    People bought what they needed for groceries for 2-3 days and then would go shopping again. No one hogged the space.

    One of the perks was that I ended up with a great spice cabinet because a lot of the renters would simply buy whatever spices they wanted (often duplicates of what I had) and then just leave them all when they left.

    Occasionally someone left the kitchen/living spaces messy and I would have to do a bit of extra cleaning but not often.

  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Alan Asriants I lived among guests at my two B&Bs for 25 years. Some regular overnight guests and some were people who stayed with me from anywhere from 20 nights in a row to a couple of 6-9 month stays.

    I only had a real problem 1 time during those 25 years when I ended up with a full house (22 guests) and two of the rooms were from a different culture that stayed up late into the night and ended up annoying the other guests stomping around and making noise.

    It was never a problem with the extended stay guests that were sharing my kitchen. We simply all respected the space when someone else was cooking. I also had a good sized regular fridge and a decent sized mini fridge which made sharing fridge space easy.

    People bought what they needed for groceries for 2-3 days and then would go shopping again. No one hogged the space.

    One of the perks was that I ended up with a great spice cabinet because a lot of the renters would simply buy whatever spices they wanted (often duplicates of what I had) and then just leave them all when they left.

    Occasionally someone left the kitchen/living spaces messy and I would have to do a bit of extra cleaning but not often.


     I guess to each their own right? Its good to know that people have good experiences. It is not up to me to judge what is ok for someone else. But there is certainly a "im ok with it" side and a "im not ok with it side" 

    Just depends where you fall...

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 590 Reviews
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.