New to Real Estate · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 3 votes
This is my first post although, I am a long-time lurker here. I am currently out of state and have never been to Pittsburg but have been digging into markets in the Midwest and have found a few properties in Pittsburg that look like great first deals. I just got my preapproval for FHA financing and plan to House Hack. Things are progressing quickly but I'm not currently working with an agent in Pittsburg yet. I am at the point that I could definitely benefit from some input from someone more familiar with the area than myself. I would love to connect and network and am definitely looking for some input on the different parts of the area, I've been looking at McKeesport, Coraopolis, Middle hill, and a little way out but Oil City. TIA
Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 13 votes
1y
Happy to connect you with the agents in my network that I personally use if that would help! I have 3 properties in the area that I manage out of state, and happy to share my experiences.
Investor · Boise, ID · Member since 2019 · 233 posts · 188 votes
1y
Hey @Nathan Jackson, welcome to the posting side of BiggerPockets—appreciate you sharing your journey so far!
Love that you’re moving fast with preapproval and looking to house hack; that’s often the move that opens the door to everything else down the road. I’d definitely recommend connecting with a local agent who isn’t just licensed in the area, but actually tapped in—the kind of person who knows which neighborhoods have strong tenant demand, where the zoning quirks are, and how each part of the city is trending (McKeesport vs. Coraopolis is a great example of that nuance).
Sounds like you’re doing the work, so just a thought: you might want to prioritize finding an agent who also works with other investors—someone who can help you evaluate a deal, not just open doors.
I’m based in Boise, and while it’s a different market, I work with a lot of first-time house hackers and out-of-state buyers too. There’s a huge difference between a city that’s just “affordable” and one that has long-term growth and infrastructure behind it. Boise’s been a great example of that over the years—it’s taught us a lot about how to spot markets with both cash flow and appreciation upside. That same mindset applies anywhere.
If you want help brainstorming questions to ask an agent or lender to vet them better, I’m happy to share what’s worked for my clients. You’re on the right path, good luck!
Rental Property Investor · Pittsburgh PA · Member since 2025 · 15 posts · 13 votes
1y
Happy to connect you with the agents in my network that I personally use if that would help! I have 3 properties in the area that I manage out of state, and happy to share my experiences.
New to Real Estate · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 3 votes
1y
@Joey Banasihan thanks for your reply! Thankfully I have connected with an investor friendly agent local to the area and definitely tapped in, he made sure to outline the nuance of different areas in the Pittsburgh area hahaha. I am getting in reps analyzing deals and submitted my first offer late last week...it wasn't accepted which wasn't cool but is a part of the process and still a huge milestone in the journey. Currently positioning to make the next offer.
Lender · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 90 votes
1y
Pittsburgh is not one size fits all market. Out of state investors often make the mistake of treating the city and its surrounding areas as one homogenous opportunity.
Take McKeesport, Coraopolis, Middle Hill, and Oil City, for example. These areas each operate like entirely different markets—with their own property values, tenant expectations, risk levels, and investment strategies.
🔹 McKeesport may offer high cash flow potential but often comes with greater management demands.
🔹 Coraopolis has more stability and proximity to the airport, appealing to working professionals and longer-term tenants.
🔹 Middle Hill is close to major hospitals and universities but remains transitional—timing and block-by-block knowledge are critical.
🔹 Oil City isn’t even in Allegheny County, yet some out-of-state investors lump it in with Pittsburgh due to price point alone—when in reality, it's a completely different economic ecosystem.
When your temperate gets 100+ in Phoenix hop on plan and come visit. We have a wonderful climate (spring-fall) to get feel for the area.