What type of insurance do I need for mid-term rentals

Most Popular Reply

Rod HanksBusiness Member
Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
1y

@Troy Anthony

Hi Troy, Mid-term rentals can usually be covered under a policy that allows both short-term and mid-term uses. In most cases, this falls under a commercial policy that’s specifically designed for those types of rental situations. Standard preferred risk carriers typically won’t insure short- or mid-term rental properties, but we do have a couple of solid markets that can cover you properly.

I’d be happy to walk you through the options and make sure you’re set up with the right coverage.

Rod Hanks Insurance4.9155 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rod HanksBusiness Member
    Insurance Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 743 posts · 462 votes
    1y

    @Troy Anthony

    Hi Troy, Mid-term rentals can usually be covered under a policy that allows both short-term and mid-term uses. In most cases, this falls under a commercial policy that’s specifically designed for those types of rental situations. Standard preferred risk carriers typically won’t insure short- or mid-term rental properties, but we do have a couple of solid markets that can cover you properly.

    I’d be happy to walk you through the options and make sure you’re set up with the right coverage.

    Rod Hanks Insurance4.9155 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Rod Hanks:

      @Troy Anthony

      Hi Troy, Mid-term rentals can usually be covered under a policy that allows both short-term and mid-term uses. In most cases, this falls under a commercial policy that’s specifically designed for those types of rental situations. Standard preferred risk carriers typically won’t insure short- or mid-term rental properties, but we do have a couple of solid markets that can cover you properly.

      I’d be happy to walk you through the options and make sure you’re set up with the right coverage.


       Thank you so much for the information!

  • Insurance Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 297 posts · 122 votes
    1y

    Here in FL we are able to write mid-term rental with many of our short term rental carriers on a landlord policy. If it is rented less than 6 times per year that opens up to even more carriers. You can also insure it on a commercial form if desired but it tends to be more expensive in our experience. 

  • Specialist · Austin TX · Member since 2018 · 82 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    Where I am in Texas, my broker advised me that as long as the lease is a 30 day minimum, it is considered long term tenant insurance. I think in California, it's a STR insurance program, so it's a bit of a state specific question!

    • Member since 2025 · 5 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Vivian Yip:

      Where I am in Texas, my broker advised me that as long as the lease is a 30 day minimum, it is considered long term tenant insurance. I think in California, it's a STR insurance program, so it's a bit of a state specific question!


       I am located in Texas, the DFW area. Can you share your insurance brokers contact information?

    • Owen RosenBusiness Member
      Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 680 posts · 259 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Vivian Yip:

      Where I am in Texas, my broker advised me that as long as the lease is a 30 day minimum, it is considered long term tenant insurance. I think in California, it's a STR insurance program, so it's a bit of a state specific question!


       You really can't go state by state on something like this.  Insurance programs can have different rules company to company.

      Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Kelly BaileyPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 32 posts · 29 votes
    1y

    Steadily is a great option. 

  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 298 posts · 140 votes
    1y

    Hi @Troy Anthony

    Reach out and I can recommend you a few insurance agents that works with commercial policies. I always recommend to shop around and get feedback from multiple insurance agents.

    Coming to your questions, in Texas it counts as a long-term if more than 30 days, but the rules are put by the underwriting insurance company so that will vary depending on who you go with.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.