Vacancy For Mid-Term Rentals

Vacancy For Mid-Term Rentals

Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes

For those doing mid-term rentals, especially using Furnished Finder, how long have your units stayed vacant between bookings? I've been pretty consistent so far this year, with my longest gap around 3 weeks, but I'm curious to hear what others are experiencing. 

2Reply
202 views

Most Popular Reply

New to Real Estate · Baton Rouge · Member since 2024 · 44 posts · 28 votes
6mo

In South Louisiana, my longest vacancy was just one week, only due to cleaning and prep time.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
    6mo

    We have nearly zero vacancy since we host short term in between midstay bookings. 

    • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Rosston Smith:

      We have nearly zero vacancy since we host short term in between midstay bookings. 


       Do you price your short term nights higher than your mid term nights to be competitive with other STRs or do you keep them at MTR nightly rates to capture the vacancy? 

    • Investor · Warner Robins, GA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 490 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Taylor Arbaugh:
      Quote from @Rosston Smith:

      We have nearly zero vacancy since we host short term in between midstay bookings. 


       Do you price your short term nights higher than your mid term nights to be competitive with other STRs or do you keep them at MTR nightly rates to capture the vacancy? 

      Price STR nights higher most definitely 
  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6mo

    @Mose Gebremeskel the biggest vacancy is always if I can't get someone whose contract runs through December. Mostly just a couple days it is room rentals. STR not allowed or licensed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6mo

    My longest gap this year has been about two weeks on my West Asheville MTR, right after a travel nurse contract ended in February. The Asheville property near the hospital barely goes vacant because I start marketing the next contract about six weeks before the current one ends. For Furnished Finder specifically I've noticed the leads come in waves so if I don't have something booked within the first week of listing, it usually takes another 10-14 days before the next round of inquiries picks up.

  • New to Real Estate · Baton Rouge · Member since 2024 · 44 posts · 28 votes
    6mo

    In South Louisiana, my longest vacancy was just one week, only due to cleaning and prep time.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2022 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    5mo

    My typical turnover runs 7-10 days between tenants, but I adjust the buffer case by case. If a tenant needs immediate move-in and my cleaning crew has availability, I'll go as tight as 3 days. especially. If it's a routine turnover with minor repairs or I want breathing room for deep cleaning, I build in the full 7 days.

    The decision usually comes down to three things: tenant urgency, property condition after walkthrough, and whether my cleaners can fit it in their schedule. Last-minute bookings work when you're set up for them, but I don't force it if the property isn't truly ready.

    I still have to find the right cleaning crew. They are either too expensive or not good. Can't have it all 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.