Property Manager · Boston / Cape Cod · Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 3 votes
Hi everyone,
I have been managing STRs on Cape Cod for about 3 years now. I was presented an opportunity to get involved in a mid-term rental and I wanted to get some information on the difference between the two. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1w
Is there demand for MTR in Cape Cod? What rates can you get? What is your target market? How do you reach them? Can you do hybrid where you rent STR during peak season and lower the rate and implement minimum stay on the STR platforms to force MTR only? What drives this decision?
Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2026 · 6 posts · 1 vote
5d
Biggest ops shifts people underestimate going STR → MTR:
1. Real screening and a real lease (not guest terms)
2. Security deposit rules by state
3. Monthly rent collection instead of OTA payouts
4. Calendar truth across Furnished Finder, Airbnb monthly, and personal blocks / extensions
Cape Cod peak-season hybrid (STR in summer, 30+ in the shoulder) can work, but Bruce's demand questions matter first — rates and who actually books monthlies there. Channel tools that excel at nightly messaging often do not own that middle layer well, so plan for lease + deposit + recurring rent as a separate ops problem from the STR stack.
If it’s helpful I can share what we ended up doing for that middle layer once you’re past the demand check.
CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
5d
Cameron, since you already have three years of STR management experience, the biggest adjustment with MTR usually isn't the property itself, it's the operating rhythm.
With an STR, you're constantly managing bookings, cleaning, guest communication, pricing, reviews, and turnover. With an MTR, you generally trade some of that revenue upside for longer stays, fewer turnovers, and more predictable operations. But you also need to think more like a traditional landlord around screening, deposits, lease terms, utilities, and what happens if a tenant stays longer than expected.
I’d underwrite the MTR based on realistic monthly rent, average stay length, vacancy between tenants, utilities, furnishings, cleaning between stays, and who the actual demand drivers are. Travel nurses get mentioned a lot, but depending on the market, relocations, insurance placements, contractors, and seasonal professionals may be just as important.
From the tax side, STR and MTR can be very different. A short-term rental may sometimes fall outside the normal rental-activity rules depending on average guest stay, and material participation can become important. A mid-term rental with longer stays is generally more likely to be treated like a traditional rental activity, so I wouldn't assume the same STR tax strategy carries over automatically.
I'd also keep the STR and MTR numbers separate if you're comparing both models. Different turnover, utilities, management time, and tax treatment can make two properties with similar gross revenue behave very differently.
Feel free to DM me, I'd be happy to send over a few resources that might help with STR-to-MTR planning, tax treatment, and underwriting the transition.
Attorney · 10451 Mill Run Cir #755 Owings Mills, MD 21117 · Member since 2024 · 367 posts · 140 votes
5d
Quote from @Cameron Scheuer:
Hi everyone,
I have been managing STRs on Cape Cod for about 3 years now. I was presented an opportunity to get involved in a mid-term rental and I wanted to get some information on the difference between the two. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated!
@Cameron Scheuer, one of the biggest changes I've seen when people move from STR to MTR is that you really have to stop thinking in terms of a guest stay and start thinking more like a landlord.
I would not just reuse your STR agreement for a longer stay. I'd want the lease to be clear about the exact term, extensions, utilities, deposits, access to the property, early move out, and what happens if the tenant wants to stay longer than planned. Those are the little things that usually do not matter much on a weekend stay but can become a much bigger issue over a few months.
I'd be glad to stay connected. I work with rental owners on issues like this, and the move from STR to MTR can be a good one when the paperwork grows with the business too.