My First House Hack Paid Off My Student Loans...

My First House Hack Paid Off My Student Loans...

Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 214 votes

I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but lots of newbies get shiny object syndrome and try to do really advanced tactics to start. The best entry point is a house hack. This story is a simple illustration of the impact it can have.

I truly believe that anyone can do this and that everyone SHOULD treat their primary residence like an investment.

3Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5mo

Thanks for sharing this is fantastic.  Not quite as glamorous or intentional, but my wife and my's first house just single family that we bought and sold is what paid off our loans, and got us into a house hack.  Wish I still had it today, but selling it allowed us to make major moves.  the house hack and a down and dirty rehab is always a winner in my book!  love to see it.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Thanks for sharing this is fantastic.  Not quite as glamorous or intentional, but my wife and my's first house just single family that we bought and sold is what paid off our loans, and got us into a house hack.  Wish I still had it today, but selling it allowed us to make major moves.  the house hack and a down and dirty rehab is always a winner in my book!  love to see it.

  • Real Estate Agent · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 446 posts · 214 votes
    5mo

    That's really inspiring, Michael! The first one is always the snowball to bigger things. Similar to you, I sometimes kick myself for selling when I look at the zestimate of what that house is worth now. BUT it's put me in a way better long term position than had I held onto it.

    What's your biggest house hacking/investing lesson?

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5mo

    Congrats! Thats huge! Love to see people house hack and win

  • Hersh ShahBusiness Member
    Realtor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 120 posts · 79 votes
    5mo

    @Kyle Spearin Congrats and well said!

    Hersh Shah Group4.9113 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Worcester, MA · Member since 2026 · 114 posts · 53 votes
    4mo

    Hello Kyle, 

    Thank you for sharing your real-life journey and experience. I'm planning on doing a house hack for our first property in central MA and excited to see how this will play out. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.