Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
Hey everyone, I'm currently chasing my first wholesale deal. I was looking for section 8 leads but recently switched to fix n flip for more volume. Right now I'm looking in Atlanta, mainly on zillow to find these properties and leave offers. I've been calling closed listings that have been flipped to find buyers and their buyboxes so I can send them deals once I get them under contract. My biggest problem right now is volume, its hard to get enough offers out each week because the math just doesn't work sometimes. I know majority will get ignored or rejected so I need to get more out. Any general wholesaling advice or recommendations for off-market searches? I really appreciate it, thanks!
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
1d
You don't wanna pursue wholesaling. The only people who make money wholesaling are the guys charging people for wholesaling education and training. In the real world, it's got a 99.9% failure rate. You can make way more money doing literally anything else.
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
1d
I havent yet, but the way I get my buyers is calling closed listings on zillow and asking the agent if the seller they represented for that flip is still looking and what for.
Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
1d
You don't wanna pursue wholesaling. The only people who make money wholesaling are the guys charging people for wholesaling education and training. In the real world, it's got a 99.9% failure rate. You can make way more money doing literally anything else.
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
1d
I hear your point and somewhat agree. I do believe it’s possible to be successful in wholesaling. You’re right though about those guys at the top selling courses. But where did they start? Are they just selling nonsense? I feel like getting consistent deals is doable with the right formula and volume. For me, wholesaling is a means to gain capital so I can become the investor who is buying. Not only can wholesaling provide that, but also I will learn what a good investment looks like.
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1d
Im going to be brutally honest. In 50 + years in real estate The only people I’ve seen sustainably succeed in “wholesaling” are those spending $10,000 per month on advertising, promotion, direct contact, SEO, SEM, social media marketing and website development. I have seen one person become the go to expert in MHP and RV Parks in Texas, and she became quite successful in this niche over a period of time.
Here’s the REAL bottom line. Wholesaling is NOT investing. It is a somewhat different method of brokering, that can be done with or (sometimes) without a license. More and more states are defining wholesaling activities as “brokering” and requiring licensure. The way some wholesalers operate is very close to what used to be called a “net” listing.
7 out of 10 newly licensed real estate salespeople are out of the business in less than one year. Only one out of ten are able to earn a sustainable livable income. Not get rich, not accumulate capital, just earn a living.
This 90 % failure rate is in spite of these licensed salespeople having the best training, best mentoring, best knowledge base and best technology available to them. So what shot do new wholesalers with no marketing budget have?
Wholesaling isn’t investing and it isn’t (except for the few running large operations and spending large amounts) building a “business”. What it is is a 100% commissioned sales job, with no training, no support and no leads provided with the sales person paying 100% of their own expenses.
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
1d
I’m also working to get my real estate license, I chose real estate for the freedom it comes with and really only being limited by the time you put in. What would your advice be then for someone like me, stop wholesaling?, don’t get my license?, I want to have the capital to invest and have a portfolio of properties and I thought what better way than in real estate already so I could learn.
Rental Property Investor · Perry Hall, MD · Member since 2016 · 587 posts · 598 votes
20h
The investors I know of who found the most success in my market got really good at other things and let the masses of wholesalers, big and small, kill themselves finding the deals. They got great at construction management, optimizing their operations, financing (raising funds from private lenders at well below hard money rates). They were generally amongst the first to see good deals from wholesalers because they paid well, were easy to deal with and closed without any funny business. As a result, they scaled to hundreds of units over the course of 4 to 5 years.
If I were starting over now, I'd follow their example instead of trying to find my own deals.
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
20h
How would someone get into those operations. Is there a trade those guys were learning or just working in construction in general. I’m 19 right now, wholesaling has taught me a lot while I’m also getting my license but I’m open to learn anything that would help me have a large portfolio down the line.
Specialist · Texas - DFW · Member since 2026 · 11 posts · 1 vote
1d
Hey Cristian, I'm also somewhat new to wholesaling but would love to connect with you and pick each other brains! I just sent you a connect feel free to dm me!
If most of your numbers don't work, the issue is usually the lead source, not your offer count. Properties listed on Zillow are priced for retail buyers, so there's rarely room for an assignment fee. Work backward from your buyers' max price (ARV times their percentage, minus repairs, minus your fee) and put your time into off-market leads like probate, tired landlords, and code violations, where sellers care more about speed than price.
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 182 posts · 69 votes
16h
Hi Christian,
You're on the right track by focusing on volume. In wholesaling, consistency is usually more important than finding the perfect deal. I'd also spend time building relationships with local agents, investors, contractors, and property managers since many off-market opportunities come through networking rather than public listings.
As you grow your buyers list, make sure you understand each buyer's criteria so you're only sending deals that fit their buy box. That will help you build credibility and increase the chances of closing deals. Best of luck on your first wholesale deal!
Wholesaler · Charleston WV · Member since 2026 · 241 posts · 126 votes
16h
Christian, I’ve done some deals in Georgia and know some buyers in the area. Calling agents who represented completed flips is a good start. I’d take those conversations further: what have those buyers purchased recently, what areas are they buying in, and what would they realistically pay for a property needing work?
If the math doesn’t work, sending more offers alone won’t solve that. Figure out whether the asking price, repair estimate, or resale value is creating the gap. That will help you narrow your search instead of chasing anything that looks like a potential flip.
Since you’re in San Diego targeting Atlanta, I’d also focus on building relationships with people who can walk properties and help you verify your numbers locally. Working alongside an experienced investor or agent could give you useful experience while you pursue your license and longer-term goal of owning rentals.
What made you choose Atlanta, and how many of the buyers you’ve spoken with are actively buying there right now?
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
16h
I appreciate the advice! I chose Atlanta because based on my research it’s a popular area where flips happen often. I’ve done most of my learning through hold my hand wholesale, not sure if you’ve heard of it but they are big on the on market listings. The buyers I’ve spoken too I know have flipped recently based on the listings I’m calling about that were bought by them and sold for much more within the past few months. Overall I’m still trying to refine my process, I’m not too far along in sending offers or making my buyers list so I’m just trying to grow both and learn along the way. Thanks again for the advice I’d love to know more from an experienced wholesaler if you’re open to sharing!
Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1h
If you are new, I'd find another approach in this business. In all my time, only a few get hit or miss deals every blue moon and that was the golden years of wholesaling. Most who did make it had tons of experience and put tons of money into marketing. I have no idea how gurus selling course convinced people they can fire their boss in a few months by wholesaling without some pot of money for the marketing.
On a second note, I don't get some of the things you said. Maybe others do and maybe I missed something.
I think I know what you mean but what exactly is a section 8 lead?
Looking for a flip wholesale? I flip here and there. What is a wholesaler supposed to do after I renovated? You are going to find me a retail price buyer? That is what my high-end realtor does. Why would a buyer overpay at a retail price, enough for you to get something out of it?
Wholesaler · San Diego · Member since 2026 · 7 posts · 1 vote
1h
No, and that’s why I stopped trying to find section 8 deals for investors and have moved to fix n flip because it’s certainly easier to get those at a discount. When I was looking for section 8, it was all about rent and cashflow, the pitch was that I would have to be at this price because of what an investors cash flow would be. At asking price it’s not a cash flowing deal. But I realized it’s much harder to wholesale those and have moved to fix n flips recently. So you think you must have money more marketing to be successful wholesaling?