Learn how to sound professional when talking to a lead

Learn how to sound professional when talking to a lead

Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes

I'm getting some decent responses with my direct mail marketing but I'm falling flat on the phone. I'm realizing I need a good elevator pitch describing what I do and how I can help the person with whom I'm speaking.  Here's a sample of a conversation I had this morning with a really nice older gentleman:

Him: I'm responding to a letter you sent me regarding my property at 123 Main St.

Me:  Oh uh...what address was that again?

Him: 123 Main St.

Me: Oh yes!  I...um...was in your neighborhood the other day and was...um... interested in that property.  I'm a real estate investor and I pay cash for homes that are in need of repair.

Him: Ok.  Well that property is actually in pretty good shape.  It's got 4 bedrooms, 2 baths, 1900 sq ft, etc...

Me: Ok do you currently have it rented? (absentee owner)

Him: Yes, a nice family rents it that has always paid the rent.

Me: Do you think they would let me inside to look at the property?

...It went on from there and I got through it but it was kind of painful.  We left it that he would talk to his wife on a price they're looking for and call me back.  Not only did I insult him by telling him his property had fallen into disrepair when he thought it was in good condition, I also didn't do a very good job building rapport in general.

I'm wondering if any other experienced investors or wholesalers have had similar experiences when they were starting out.  Can anyone give examples of elevator pitches they provide to potential sellers?  I'm sure all the other new investors out there would appreciate the advice as much as I will.

Thanks!

0Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Kevin FoxPro Member
Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
10y

Hey @Chris Pohlson

Having a script to fall back on certainly helps, but the biggest thing is to just take your lumps with a smile as you're building that skill set. 

Nothing will help convert more phone calls to closed deals than experience. So, gotta get that experience one way or another, right?

See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mountain View, CA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Hi,

    For starters, I would ask the owner to "Tell me a little about about your property please." ..... and after they finish some details, you can ask "have there been any recent major upgrades", "are you aware of any issues with the property", "are you considering selling for a particular reason?".

    Kind regards,

    Arpad

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Chris Pohlson 

    I'll give you a complimentary walk through of how we handle our calls. I've worked in call centers for years and now own one. If you'd like some tips/tricks shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell. 

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2016 · 208 posts · 76 votes
    10y

    I'm not sure where I saw them exactly, but Michael Quarles also has some stuff online that makes for a decent script. Also check YouTube for live calls and transcripts.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    knowing what to say when the phone rings is extremely important.  

    There are 4 questions everyone should master and tell me about your hpuse isn't one of them.  

    Property details don't matter until you confirm motivation. 

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    Thanks for your prompt responses!  

    @Ryan Dossey  Would you elaborate, please?  

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 192 posts · 126 votes
    10y

    @Chris Pohlson

    Just listened to one of @Michael Quarles

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    That's kinda close. However there's a lot more to do with those four sentences. 

    Example are things like... 

    • Positive and negative reinforcement
    • Mimicking
    • Pacing
    • Embedded commands
    • PAUSING
    • Never lose control
    • Never offer a price
    • Learn how to communicate utilizing tonality
  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the help, @Brent Hill.

    @Michael Quarles, I'll pick through your site and try to find podcasts and live call examples.  If you have any specific links, feel free to pm me.  I appreciate the responses.

  • Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 192 posts · 126 votes
    10y

    @Chris Pohlson

    Episode 238 he talks about the 4 questions for every inbound call, gives a sample voicemail and addresses questions for outbound calls.  Not sure if you use Evernote but I can share the 25 notes I have made for the episodes as I am listening.  I found if I don't do that, I forget a lot of good info that I hear but then can't find it later...Evernote has been a life saver.

  • Developer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 732 posts · 490 votes
    10y
    Chris Pohlson One thing I learned from my wife, who was a professional fundraiser for years, is that it's always nice to actually connect with people. It's much easier said than done, and some people are much better than others. A lot of what I personally think it boils down to is trying to frame the call as an opportunity to get to know someone a little bit. Find off ramps that you can talk about that so that you can find out more about the person and what their situation is. You want to get as full a picture of what's going on in their life so that you can build rapport and also pick up on clues on their motivation and goals. I personally don't see how people can follow a script because that really isn't the purpose of the call. The purpose is to get a face to face meeting. If you are going to talk about the property, ask them if they've enjoyed owning the place. You can get a lot just from that response alone and it will open up all kinds of doors.
  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    @Brent Hill that would be really cool.  I've never used Evernote but I just downloaded it.  Let me know how to connect using it.  I really appreciate you pointing me in the direction of that podcast.

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    @Neal Collins thanks for the response.  I would agree reading from a script would be even more painful than the um's and uh's I'm currently dealing with.  Love the tips on framing the call and asking if they've enjoyed owning the place.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I guess after 100s of houses bought and sold I've been doing it all wrong.  ROFLMAO

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 283 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    you need to chat with them like its an old friend and your having a conversation. Its not a formal interview here. So break that tension with a few comments. Today i spoke with a lady she said "yes my name is .... and you wrote me a letter for my property at ...." i usually always respond with, "hey (blank), hows it going? or how've you been" then, i say "(blank), so why is it your wanting to sell". then build rapport... she said, "well i don't live in town anymore, and since my husband passed away"... i said "i'm sorry to hear that"... "yeah trying to manage the property from way out there must be difficult". I try to mimic their tone, but i often ask them questions that are completely not related to the property. Just ask get to know you questions. Make small talk. 

    Go practice with paid workers in the stores. See how long you can chat with someone before they give you the "i have to get back to work look". The goal is to have a smooth flowing conversation without those awkward pauses and moments. Once you get that down then you can employ more advanced techniques like Michael is talking about. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    Actually Logan one better learn communication from strength and not whimpiness. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 338 posts · 332 votes
    10y

    Feel free correct me if I'm interpreting @Michael Quarles ' comments inaccurately, but it sounds like he's promoting a neurolinguistic programing (NLP) based approach--the same strategy used by pick-up artists and con men.  If that kind of thing works for you, more power yadda yadda.  But it takes a long time to become great at NLP (though there are many entrepreneurial types who would gladly teach you, for a price). 

    Then, once you master NLP, you'll have a powerful psychological tool to use for good, evil, or everything in between.  A lot of salespeople learn NLP.  

    Personally, I'd have a hard time sleeping at night knowing that my material success came mostly from manipulation, rather than from making people feel good while solving their problems.  I'd much rather do business by referral than by having to market to/hypnotize new prospects all the time.  

    Knowing how to use language to your advantage is definitely a plus, but that doesn't preclude connecting with people and developing rapport.  There's nothing "wimpy" about being genuine.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    NEWS BREAK: Investing is a business   Not a social experiment    

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    I think people forget what it's like to be on the other end of a phone call where someone is trying to sell you something.

    So, I advise you to start there.  There is absolutely no trick or technique that you could use successfully on me.  And the guy you were pitching was probably going to be offended by any offer below current market rates.

    What worked successfully for me, when I was buying homes and properties on seller financing, was to be very open and direct, and to make them a very good offer.

    Anything less, is insulting to the person you are trying to deal with.  And the odds of someone being stupid, who owns desirable property, is very slim.

    So, treat them like they're smart.  Treat them like you'd want to be treated, and offer them a deal you would think was fair.

    I just don't believe any other approach is going to be successful for you on any reliable basis.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 283 posts · 179 votes
    10y

    @Michael Quarles not sure what you interpreted to be "whimpiness". Building rapport so they open up, subtly suggesting this property is a burden to them?  

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    @Michael Quarles I didn't mean to imply you don't know what you're doing.  Your website is exactly what I was looking for.  

  • Papillion, NE · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Brent Hill I would love your notes if you could send them my way.

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    10y

    Hey @Chris Pohlson

    Having a script to fall back on certainly helps, but the biggest thing is to just take your lumps with a smile as you're building that skill set. 

    Nothing will help convert more phone calls to closed deals than experience. So, gotta get that experience one way or another, right?

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Fox, I appreciate the encouragement.  I'm just trying to work smarter!

  • Kevin FoxPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 635 votes
    10y

    My pleasure @Chris Pohlson!

    You'll get there, but it does take time. 

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    10y

    Just wanted to do a quick follow up on this post.  In the past 3 weeks I've listened to @Michael Quarles live seller calls.  They were exactly what I was looking for.  I wrote down most of the talking points and used that script as an outline during my phone calls.  I even practiced what I would say with my wife as the seller in our living room.  I practiced until it flowed smoothly.  I'm really excited/nervous/anxious/proud to say I got my first house under contract today in large thanks to what I've found on his website (and bp of course).  Thanks for everyone's help.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.