How to shut up the Wholesale bashers

How to shut up the Wholesale bashers

Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes

Wholesaling real estate can be life changing. I know a lot of people who started from nothing and now make 6+ figures annually doing so, that pisses agents off lol. 

The things I see about wholesaling on BiggerPockets are discouraging and borderline hate speech. 

Basically, the kids that grew up the nice comfortable middle class neighborhoods, went to college like mommy and daddy told them to are telling people that dont have the credit to get a traditional loan or capital to close on a property that you can't be in real estate. 

If you don't have a sh*t load of money to spend, or near excellent credit you shouldn't be in real estate, is the summary of the BS I've been reading. 

Now on to the legal part of it all...

Is wholesaling ILLEGAL? 

No. Wholesaling is simply buying something low and selling it low enough for the end buyer to make a profit. 

Assignments are legal in most states, some not so much...in every state that doesn't allow assignments I GUARANTEE there's an agent pissed off at guy who made his annual salary in one deal. 

Guys and gals, remember: From a legal perspective for a contract to be legitimate you have to have the intent and ability to close. 

The intent comes when you partner with a Transactional lender to fund your deals, you then have the intent and ability to close, if you meet the transactional lenders criteria with the way the deal is set up. 

Now I can already see someone saying "well if you're wholesaling you don't have the intent to buy" Well...you do. But you're only going to close on it if you can sell it, that's actually smarter to me. Rehabbers buy with the hope to sell, as a wholesaler we buy (double close) when we KNOW we can sell and I advise you to be upfront with your sellers as well. 

If you're an inspiring wholesaler be careful with what you pay attention to on here, chance are you got into the business due to lack of a big ol' fat bank account, excellent credit, connections, etc. (All the things the guys bashing wholesalers seem to have...hm...)

Organize your business, learn the laws, help sellers, be honest with them, and by all mean IGNORE THE WHOLESALING BASHERS ON THIS SITE. I bet none of them had to wholesale their way out of $37,380 in debt and a motel room. They don't know the struggle, they don't want you have a bigger pool than Kanye! 

But all jokes aside, guys and girls wholesalers get a bad rep because there are some people who mislead sellers, honesty and full disclosure is the key. 

I understand some people are afraid to tell sellers they wholesale, and that's understandable Don't say that; What you want to do is set up an LLC before you start, get the website the logo, etc. Look credible. Build your buyers list, build your transactional lender team as well, your business is dependent on those things.

So what do you say when a seller asks what you do or what the hell the and/or assigns means? 

"I work with a group of investors (the transactional funders and cash buyers; truth here!) I buy and sell properties to other investors, sometimes I'll assign the contract just to simplify things, that's less in transfer taxes, etc. 

....if they don't want you to assign it (yeah some people are picky and sensitive) and the numbers make sense just double close using a Transactional lender, 0 money out of pocket. It's very simple. 

So, let's go over that again. 

The "INTENT AND ABILITY TO BUY" comes from having a Transactional lender on your team, develop a relationship with them, get to know them. 

Too many people just brush off this idea, well let me tell you, the agents are getting tired of us helping sellers and making a killing so they're running to the big bosses and trying to stop it all, one day assignments may be illegal everywhere unless you're an agent, so in case that day comes be ready. 

Excuse any spelling or grammatical errors... actually don't, I don't give a sh*t. I made my point. 

Happy wholesaling! 

23Reply
658 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
10y

This thread should get a lot of responses:)

Your arguments are bogus. Selling a contract is NOT investing. Closing on a deal and then reselling is investing. Laws vary state to state. Regardless of your arguments, most are just unlicensed operators acting as brokers. Most of the time they bring no or little value to a deal. I just saw a guy "wholesale" a property 20% under market in a HOT area. Any agent could have listed the property and got the seller EASILY 30K more after commission. Please tell me how this benefited the seller?

p.s.--you want to "shut up" people that disagree with your concept, disagree with a lot of post promoting dishonest, etc. What does that tell the BP readers? If you felt like making a statement about disagreeing with posters (I am one well known for expressing opinions) maybe that would promote better responses? I don't recall any posts from people wanting to "shut up" people promoting dishonest or illegal practices. BTW, what professional licensing do you hold and who holds you accountable for honesty and ethics? Anyone? Your arguments are FALSE and misleading. Some people need to do that to convince themselves they are right.

See this reply in the discussion

137 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    If you actually want to be an investor then buy your first home with equity and use that equity to buy an investment opportunity. You could always use primary mortgage loan and flip it after 2 years and not pay capital gains. If you do not know what loans to get then google it.

    Wholesalers that initiate a deal and never own the property are garbage. A wholesaler that finds a deal buys it and then markets it is another story. Someone could easily buy a property that has equity then market it to investors. Heck you could even do some basic renovations so someone could get it financing. I have no respect for people that tie up properties for 5k - 10k. Anyone can do that and your are not helping the owner. 

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    So, once you find a buyer on the MLS do you close on the property first and then sell?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Michael Quarles  Love the line HUGE profit... I bet most wholesalers cringe at that one.. LOL. 

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Paisley:

    There are several way's to wholesale and not all deal with a distressed seller. On a side note, I tried getting an agent (friend of mine) on board with me 4-5 years ago and his "mentor" told him not to work with me. The funny thing is this "mentor" who was an agent himself told me a story of how he walked away from a property he owned describing it like, pulling up to a red light in a car, opening the door and just walking away like nothing ever happened"! What a guy! Fast forward my agent friend funded our last flip together and is freakin out about how much money he's gonna make because we brought the wholesale deal and he funded it. 

    I believe the vast majority of agents (like 98%) don't further their investing brain power past what they learn while getting their license...

    @Nathan Paisley

    It not just agents it is people in general. I am retired in my 30's from real estate and do very well. I have offered my services to key friends and family that have acted interested in making their lives better. I even offered them to make a percentage of the profit on my deals, since they don't have the cash I offered sweat equity. NONE of them have ever taken up my offer on anything. Whether it be free books, training, classes, investing, everything. People are LAZY!! They work 9-5 and expect their lives to change by the 1-5% raises that they MAY get. They want to have nice things or be wealthy but wont do anything about it. Yet they will spend 400.00 to go to a sports game.

    One of my favorite stories has to do with sports. 

    A man and his wife get free box seats to go see their favorite sports event. They scream at the players and opposing fans. "We Scored, We Won"! Yet what don't realize that the winners of the game are the players are the field. The fans and spectators have absolutely nothing to do with the skills and talent it took to win. The winners are on the field PLAYING the game. The FANS just watch the talent. 

    Also the real winner is the owner of the box seats. The person that worked 16 hr days for the chance to own that box seat. Yet probably hardly ever uses it. It more a marketing technique used by those that are successful. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    Some issue seems to exist with wholesalers calling themselves investors.  I think we can all agree that finding a below market property, tying the property up with a purchase agreement, and then assigning that agreement for a profit is not investing; it is a business.  Same scenario but double closing with some of your own money has a small investment aspect to it - but as in investing working capital in a business - not as in purchasing an investment.  Some posters seem to think that by spending money on advertising, bandit signs, earnest money, they are INVESTING in real estate and hence are real estate INVESTORS.  They are neither.  They are investing their money in their real estate related business, and hence are owners of a real estate related business.

    Not sure any of this matters at the end of the day, except that real estate INVESTORS are tired of getting a bad rap (rep?) because the public and press lump them together with wholesalers, flippers, etc.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    dude, not everyone has good credit and even the people who do dont want to follow your traditional bread and butter strategy, get over it. Wholesalers, wholetailers, DO help sellers, if you categorize an entire group of people based on a few stories you heard or a few things you've seen you have the same mentality as a racist. 

    You're the type of person this post was aimed at, you're telling people if they can't get a loan, etc they can't get into real estate, WHY NOT? because YOU didn't do it that way? You sound like an idiot, your arguments are based 100% on OPINION. 

    Get off the thread dream killer. People like you are the reason I ALMOST didn't take the leap to change my financial situation, luckily I ignored idiots like you. 

    There's things I can't say or call you on BiggerPockets so, I'll end it on this note: YOU MADE IT BECAUSE OF GOOD CREDIT, JOB, ETC IM MAKING IT BECAUSE I HUSTLE. 

  • Lender · Avondale, AZ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Allen Felker... Respect my friend, keep on hustling. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · High Point, NC · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 183 votes
    10y

    Can I ask, how is wholesaling through contract assignment NOT investing?

    In order to get that contract in the first place, a wholesaler has put in time - in searching, letter writing, driving, qualifying leads, negotiating, checking out properties, etc, which can take months or even years - as well as money - for books, classes, lists, even hundreds of dollars on stamps - and for people like me that DON'T have thousands and thousands of dollars to blow, that's a lot! I'm taking time and energy and money away from my own family to put into getting leads, for other investors, for a relatively small profit.

    Putting something in to get more out is investing, plain and simple. Just like putting "sweat equity" into a house for money on the back end is investing.

    It's easy to turn your nose up when you "have it like that". I don't. I'm not going to leave anybody high and dry, but contract assignment is the way I can scrape myself off the bottom and get the capital to start really buying for myself.

    Call me scum, call me garbage, call me whatever you want. But those that I've helped thank me, and that's what matters to me.

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ, NJ · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    10y
    I was totally following both sides of this argument because both sides were making great points, but you lost me with the "ghetto" talk. Let's not act as if the ghetto doesn't have home owners that need help as well. Any good real estate agent or wholesaler would be able to help people regardless of what you may feel is an acceptable area or not. Some people have no problem going into the ghetto to rent out their holds and that's fine, but let's try not to bash one thing to promote whatever story you're selling. Because let's be real there are investors HERE that buy homes in the "ghetto" rent and hold them or may plan to because it's a little more affordable to start off that way (me). You guys should know that being in the field and all. Also, the professional term instead of "ghetto" is urban areas or inner cities. I guarantee if you were to use either of those to explain an area, people will know exactly what type of area you're talking about. As a professional, you should learn to stay away from stereotypical titles. Not trying to bash anyone, but since this seems to be a teaching moment, you can't educate if you're not open to learn as well. Now carry on, I'm learning from this. Let's just remember to keep it classy, there is enough money out here for all of us to make. We do things differently, but we also have to respect one another and our differences of opinions. I'm sure we can all give a story about a shady wholesaler AND a shady Real Estate Agent. Just like everything in life you cannot escape the slackers in life.
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    10y

    I agree with Allen's comment as to close on the deal and then sell, but you aren't really wholesaling as it is commonly known, you're a buyer, then an owner then a seller and that is the proper way to do this. But, after that, I have to draw the line. There are several ways to buy without using much money, you also don't need credit or a job, but you do need more knowledge and that is what's grossly lacking in the real estate space. 

    Someone who believes they know will never learn. 

    Michael Q is one heck of a marketeer, he could sell ice to Eskimos in the Arctic. 

    Again, the problem is that real estate isn't ice and a different attitude is required in dealing with real property, but Michael also knows this. 

    Anyone who represents themselves in court has a fool for a client. That also applies to drafting legal documents or contracts. A biased contract can be set aside easily if push comes to shove. Seems most investors and operators use contracts for eye wash, so long as you stay out of court that can work. 

    Seems too, that with a little bit of knowledge contracts can be made to sound pretty good, but view them in a different light, on one hand you're saying I'm dealing with a distressed seller........oh really, well then that may just mean they aren't dealing from an informed position and aren't dealing as a prudent person! You can't have it both ways. So your biased one sided contract can cause you more trouble than your lawyer's mind will allow while dealing with someone acting under duress. 

    Now, incurring expenses is not investing, most here are real estate operators, not investors!

    But, the gurus devised the term to help market their folklore, investor sounds cool, important, like you have money, just sounds better than operator, so investor is used and there are some pretty wild justifications trying to keep that ego trip going. US Tax Code defines "Investor" and "Operator" it's in law, not some whipped up guru book. 

    Not long ago I read a post of a young lady who basically said she was so proud of herself now after being jobless, she could tell her family that she was on BP and that she was a "real estate investor" , poor young lady, her family probably knows she's misguided but they still love her I'm sure. 

    Gee, 2 months ago I couldn't spell "Reel Estate Envestar" now I are one! :)

    Don't forget, birds of a feather stick together. 

    With people, it's not really about having good credit or money, those that can't pull up their own boots use excuses for failure and to justify doing the wrong thing. That's because it's easier to stay on the bottom rung socially and professionally. When I started out I had no money, no credit and no real job, today, I have money and credit but I still don't have a job, LOL!  You get there through knowledge, something most are just too lazy to acquire. (like beginning wholesalers on BP)

    Now, back to Allen, in your last rude post you said you're making it because you hustle, well that's good, but if that's all you do then you're probably more of a hustler than an investor. It's pretty clear you don't know real estate as you probably think you do, especially as to valuations of property and services.  

    If you want to be an Eagle, stop acting like a Crow.  

    Oh, and please get off the ceiling inferring other posters are idiots or calling them names and YELLING at us, otherwise the powers to be here will be sending you off to fly with pigeons. 

    Good luck :)      

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs I am always amused that some folks think that someone who is proficient in sales and negotiation is somehow taking advantage for folks.  

    I think the opposite.  Those who understand negotiation aren't afraid of honesty.  We realize that it's an asset.  

    When one understands the concept of character closes they then understand the power of disclosing and thus its effectiveness.  

    Btw I have yet to have a seller complain about that paragraph.

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    @Bill gulley, I understand you're one of the "good old boys" and part of the in crowd with the higher ups on BiggerPockets, and that's cool. I learned a lot from you, but what do you mean exactly when u say I don't understand real estate as far as "Valuations of properties and services"? I'm always willing to learn more from more experienced professionals:-) I never said I knew it all, don't even think I implied it, heck, YOU even said u agreed with some of it. 

    Also, it's funny you call my comment "rude" yet there's a guy calling all people of a particular profession Scum bags, explain your logic.. 

    I'll wait. 

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Plese teach me more about valuation Bill. So I can retire even earlier.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    @Allen Felker

    Your comments on here make people not want to want associate themselves with you. I could not even imagine you in a deal. I respect your "Hustle" you call it. I called it good work ethic. You call everyone else good ole boys. As someone that is married to an African American I hope you are not pulling a race card. 

    As far as your comments about credit etc.. You have no idea where anyone has come from. I personally started invested with a 545 credit score. I purchased properties that I knew the seller could finance. I paid them payments until I paid them off in 10 years. I also purchased a condo in an area that was not in the best area but I knew growth was coming. Because it was in a low income area I was able to get 98% financed with a bad credit score. I was able to turn a 160% profit in one year due to my research. 

    Good luck in your pursuit. 

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    One more thing and I promise im done. 

    @Bill you mentioned something about one sided contracts ...have you ever read those iPhone Apple agreements where have to click disagree or "I Agree" now that's a one sided agreement if there ever was one, so is Apple a bad company too? Wait no, they can't be because they're worth billions right? I feel like most of your comments are grounded in opinion...someone mustve screwed you over lol. 

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Actually BRYCE I've gotten a lot of colleague requests from my comments, once again your OPINION BASED comment has been shattered. 

    I'm not here to be liked though, there's people who don't like me because of my skin color, do I cry at night because of it? NO. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · High Point, NC · Member since 2016 · 276 posts · 183 votes
    10y

    I'd love to go that route to get started in buy & hold.

  • Wholesaler · Madison , WI · Member since 2016 · 79 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    Guys let's just end this discussion. It got out of hand, you don't have to agree with me for me to make money and help sellers. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y

    As I explained in my first post on this thread, at least one method of "wholesaling" is actually brokering, and other methods have brokering aspects to it.  When one acts as a principal the other party knows they are (legally) adversaries with the opposing party.

    Wholesalers, "helping" home owners, are implying that they are acting as "advisers" to the home owner needing to sell.  But if that it true, AND they are making money by purchasing at the lowest price possible, then they are engage in a conflict of interest,  and arguably advising a homeowner while they have a financial incentive to provide misleading or incorrect advice.

    So, this leaves three scenarios.  One - the wholesaler acknowledges he is a principal, in an adversarial relationship with the seller, and discloses to the seller that he will be attempting to profit by assigning or selling the contract, and that he will not be closing if he can not assign or sell at a profit.  I am totally okay with this.

    Two - same as above, but the wholesaler leaves the seller believing that the wholesaler's intent to close is NOT necessarily contingent on his finding a buyer or assignee at a higher price.  I am NOT okay with this because it is not being honest; the wholesaler is portraying himself as a end buyer when he is not, and the seller has a much less solid deal then he is led to believe.

    Three - The wholesaler portrays himself as an adviser (see above), helping the homeowner market his home.  I'm am NOT okay with this under most cases because the wholesaler most often does not have the real estate knowledge, experience or oversight to do this competently.  And, in undertaking the task of acting as an adviser, success would not be measured by how much money the wholesaler made on the deal; it would be measured by criteria appropriate to the seller.

    While I am no great fan of the rel estate brokerage industry, we must admit that the educational requirements  leaves them with more basic knowledge and understanding of the real estate laws and process that the vast majority of wholesalers, and much more knowledge than new wholesaler, whose training emphasized how to get a homeowner to sign a contract and how to create a buyers list.  And that licensed real estate salespersons are overseen by licensed real estate brokers, whose business depends on making sure the salespeople operating under their supervision do not engage in blatantly ethically questionable practices.

    As per full disclosure, while I do not operate as a real estate broker, I do hold current real estate brokerage licenses in three states.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    Geeez....

    felker has now gone to calling people "racists"

    his comments about people being raised in certain neighborhoods, with silver spoons also has somewhat of an animosity in it

    So, anyone that disagrees with him is now a racists, and I am also MAD because I wasn't born with that silver spoon and momma and daddy didn't shower me with money to make money. Not everyone is born with the same "opportunities" as wealthy people, but we all have opportunities to make of ourselves what we desire. It appears felker has a chip on his shoulder from him past. He is the ONLY person here talking race. I post in many threads with no regard to race. I am glad to contribute to any respectable thread about making money in an honest manner. ANYONE who promotes dishonest dealings will never get a positive input from me. 

    @Bill Gulley

    The "good ole boy" does seem to insinuate something...yes!

  • Amarillo, TX · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Allen Felker please oh please Mr. Felker contact me! Love what you're doin! I've been wholesaling for about 3 months here in Texas and would love to hear some tips from you! Thanks in advance!
  • Investor · Yorba Linda, CA · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    "Can I ask, how is wholesaling through contract assignment NOT investing?"

    It just occurred to me that wholesalers are not investors.  Unless they actually invest money or take ownership of a property.   As far as I know this doesn't occur when assigning contracts.  Facilitating deals puts them in the realm of real estate agents, just without the licensing/ professional standards associated with being a professional.  So I think a wholesaler calling oneself an investor isn't quite accurate.  

  • Real Estate Agent · NJ, NJ · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 23 votes
    10y
    @ John Theradford I think you're over reacting a tad bit. You started off extremely credible because you are looking out for people, stick with being an informative source. Don't let opinions bring you to a place where it makes u look bad.
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Don Konipol

    This man has now resorted to calling respected BP posters "idiots" if he disagrees with him. In one of my previous posts I mentioned the "ignore" feature. I have only used it once but this case may require a second use. When people cannot win arguments with logic and honesty they resort to name calling and accusations. If felker had ANY respect when he started this thread, I don't know that he has much now. See ya later...I am off in my Bentley for dinner on my yacht...thanks to my glitzy upbringing, the millions in my trust fund, and of course..the fact that I didn't have to waste my time getting an education and learning how to make money the old fashioned way...

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Shaq Jones

    felker is the only one on here calling names and insinuating racism to those that disagree with him. Correct or not correct? You will find my posts trying to be constructive in LOTS of threads with NO concern as to race, religion, etc. When people get desperate they change subjects and resort to name calling. People disagree with me..and I don't call them names. They may be right and I learn something from them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.