What wholesalers?

What wholesalers?

Real Estate Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2013 · 87 posts · 55 votes
Where are all these wholesalers with all these deals? I've been contacted by several wholesalers, but when I ask for deals, crickets chirp. Sounds like big talk, no action.
3Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y

They haven't finished the course yet. Marketing and hype are in the first half, along with web sites, etc. The second half is pitching and negotiating. Then they have to 'buy up' with the upsell seminar to get to the point of actually having a property under contract. ;)

See this reply in the discussion

74 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    it appears he has no license if you are referring to carl brown. Here is the link:https://www.grec.state.ga.us/clsweb/realestate.aspx

    it appears VCA properties was just registered in July 2016. He is not the RA and I didnt find any way to look at officers or directors. Did he state he is a licensee?

  • Rental Property Investor · Decatur, GA · Member since 2016 · 155 posts · 57 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks for the heads up. That was my dilemma. As I currently use a barrel grill and a smoker. Usually when the grill gets lit, friends and family randomly show up! So yes, I'll definitely need the space! 

  • Investor · Marietta, GA · Member since 2016 · 131 posts · 84 votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs I think that's awesome for a creative licensed realtor if they are unsure whether or not they can sell a property. I however, NEVER put a contract in unless I know with certain that I can sell it. However, I personally don't mind putting EM in escrow to "lock down a property" Whatever the seller agrees on whether it be $10 or $1,000. As long as the seller has full disclosure and understand that I will make a profit for selling their property I don't see a reason to rewrite the book. Now, when wholesaling commercial properties like apartment complexes, shopping plazas, hotels etc. That method will not work. I get a fee agreement with the seller that allows me to be paid on both sides which is also understood and accepted by the sellers. It really boils down to "trust", if a seller believes that you can perform as stated by the contract in a timely manner than no harm no foul. I rely on my attorneys to ok or deny any action regarding my business and I encourage other wholesalers to do the same on every deal.  It just makes life easier to know that you are doing everything right. 

    Cheers!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    It appears we have a fraud and scammer operating as an unlicensed broker.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi All:

    As wholesalers the only License you NEED is your Driver License or State ID so you can cash your check.  It is a science to wholesaling.  NO your numbers!  This is in fact a business.  You need to understand how to structure your contracts.  Do good business and people will keep coming back and they will send you referrals.  It's really a good feeling to help all parties out.   Happy Investing!  Shonna Thomas

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Shonna Thomas

    The only license you need to drive is a DL. That doesn't make it legal to go 110mph in a 35mph. Many of these guys are operating illegally, violating state laws, and just as bad or worse, deceiving sellers with standard lies such as "subject to my partners approval, 60 day inspections" when in fact these frauds have no partner and have no intention of closing. Knowing numbers is one thing. Operating legally and honestly is another. Some of these clowns get mad when I state a few facts:
    1. no license
    2. no insurance
    3. no education
    4. usually no recourse for a buyer..no state agency oversight
    5. bogues ARV estimates are common
    6. most are operating like a broker but without a license
    So...what true value do they bring? What DO they do that a licensed agent doesn't do? 

    When I posed that question, one of these clowns could only respond by libel and defamation of character. They could not make any rational and honest response to the question. As I have stated, I take posts at face value. This clowns responses certainly show his true self, his level of education, and his integrity.  I am contacting the company he claims he works for, my attorney, and GREC today. I will go out of my way for some people, and this man is one of them!

    GREC forms: http://www.grec.state.ga.us/PDFS/RealEstate/GRECRequestForInvestigation.pdf

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:

    Regarding "If these people would spend some time learning about RE and the different avenues available to them that WOULD make them some money they would stand a much better chance of success." Yup. They would become brokers (licensed) and make money...

     I'm a real estate agent and a full time wholesaler.  My RE license is held by a broker who charges me $3000 a year and I keep 100% of the commissions I generate.  Why would I take the brain damage if that's available?  Traditional brokerages are folding all over the place here - that's not where the money is at anymore.

    My real estate commissions are enough to put me in the top 10% of agents in the country, but it's nothing compared to what the wholesaling business generates for me.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Sean Cole

    OK..you got the education. I am sure you know what it takes to stay legal, have an understanding of contracts, etc. Most of these others don't and you can find more frauds and scammers on BP promoting dishonest, illegal, and unethical behavior. Just search the forums. I believe in this particular thread you can find at least one post from a clown stating his method of operation. It certainly appears to be unlicensed brokering. I am referring this man to GREC and let them decide. Do you subscribe to the lies and deceit of "subject to my partners approval" or the 60 day "inspection period" BS...AKA weasel clauses? If you cannot assign do you close on all of them? How long is your inspection period? That "top 10" claim is pretty impressive.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    10y

    @John Thedford while Top 10% sounds impressive, it's not once you learn what that number really is - Pareto Principle and all...  It's more an indictment of real estate agents in general that I sit there.  The barriers to entry for a real estate agent are only very slightly higher than being a wholesaler.  I've worked with tons of awful agents and many great ones.  

    I don't play games with contracts. My minimum EMD is $1,000 and that's usually for a house I'm buying for under $30k. Anything over that and I'm at $2,000 and sometimes have to put 10% up for some of our bank deals. So, yeah, I know I'm not a typical wholesaler scraping $50 together for EMD when sometimes I have $25k or more on the line. One of my first posts on BP was to ask if we should have a different term for pros instead of newbies because it gets old putting the flamesuit on to hop on BP and try to help other folks out.

    There's lots of wholesalers out there that need an education.  There's plenty of "investors" that do, too.  

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    To All:

    Wholesaling is a great way to do real estate deals!  The ONLY license you need to do these type of Deals is your Driver License and or State ID.  If a person chose to do bad business wholesaling, they have to pay for that.  Notwithstanding, a Driver that has a Driver License and breaks the law by driving 110mph in a 35mph, he/she has to pay for their illegal driving, that does not make all drivers, driving illegal.  Again, no your numbers! Structure your contracts. Create Win-Win for all parties, if you do this people will continue to do business with you.  I enjoy real estate  and sharing with Others!  Happy Investing!  

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Shonna Thomas

    and a "wholesaler" or someone calling themself that doesn't make them necessarily legal! Are you licensed? Do you have insurance? What qualifications do you have (if any). Have you had any real estate education (besides the wholesaling threads on BP)? Just curious!

    See my thread titled Properties For Sale Are NOT Comps. He doesn't have a license either...except maybe a driver license!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Dayton, OH · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Hi All:

    Wholesalers will continue to grow and help the community of real estate!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Shonna Thomas

    You failed to answer a single question. I guess the education, licensing, and insurance don't exist. Can you say "brokering real estate without a license"? At least you supposedly have a drivers license LOL!  You can put "licensed driver' on your business card for qualifications and educational experience!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    John Thedford it's because you are in every forum under every post being negative. Nobody wants to hear your negativity and damn you have a lot of time on your hands to respond to every wholesaling post. Go drink a v8 or something. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I gave you a vote cause I know new guys sometimes need a hand up!

    If you care to dispute anything I have written with FACTS, not malarky, please do so. I learn something new every day. And yes, I post quite a bit in a LOT of forums. I do my best to be a positive contribution to the site but don't condone illegal or unethical tactics often promoted by these frauds and scammers. If you intend to take up wholesaling all you need is a driver license!

    And the REAL reason they don't respond is? Could it be no education, no license, no insurance? I chuckle at the ones stating they are an integral part of the puzzle all the while doing what agents do...but without the license. Nobody NEEDS wholesalers.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2009 · 17 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    @johnthedford I don't care what you're talking about and it doesn't matter to me at all, I don't need your vote or hand up.  Nothing you say bothers me but you're very annoying. All day you put people down and talk alot of irrelevant stuff that we don't care about. Nobody has to prove anything to you, show you anything or answer any of your questions because you're irrelevant. I'm new to this site but not new to the business and wholesalers are very useful, not our fault you're a grumpy man that sees negativity in everything. I'm just tired of seeing you in every single thread with the same bull crap. You picked the right person because I will definitely put you in your place because once again you're a nobody to me. Now have a good day and keep on with your hating!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    You are going to put me in my place??? LOL! There is an ignore feature on BP if you don't like my posts. Now, make sure you have a driver license! That is certainly the sign of a "professional"! LOL

    I am helping a victim of a fraud wholesaler file a complaint with DBPR this weekend. Always glad to help people that get hurt by scammers! 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Shonna Thomas  your information is not exactly accurate and much to my surprise and dismay it turns out in Wisconsin you MUST be a licensed agent or use a license agent even to sell your own property... now if you guys never come into title and are just assigning that would not matter..

    but when we watch the video from Ohio state regulators.. what I see with most wholesalers frankly. ( and of course I don't give a rip) is they are selling RE without a license.. they are NOT selling contracts.. their websites show the houses talk about bed and bath rehab etc.. just like an agent.

    But no matter until the state regulators start to really enforce the licensing rules its a free for all.

    And I stand by my earlier statement that a wholesaler GENERALLY if they want to get to the top will at some point realize they need a license. I have funded deals were there was johnny lunch bucket wholesaler and then with some of my high volume guys they are fed deals by wholesalers that are licensed and those are the one's that I see doing volume.  Again just from my little world here.

  • Investor · Willow Spring, NC · Member since 2009 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sean Cole:
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:

    Regarding "If these people would spend some time learning about RE and the different avenues available to them that WOULD make them some money they would stand a much better chance of success." Yup. They would become brokers (licensed) and make money...

     I'm a real estate agent and a full time wholesaler.  My RE license is held by a broker who charges me $3000 a year and I keep 100% of the commissions I generate.  Why would I take the brain damage if that's available?  Traditional brokerages are folding all over the place here - that's not where the money is at anymore.

    My real estate commissions are enough to put me in the top 10% of agents in the country, but it's nothing compared to what the wholesaling business generates for me.  

    You are making my point. You took the effort to educate yourself by becoming a licensed broker. I, too, took the RE licensing class (in 2002) but per the company attorney, I was instructed to NOT take the final because my focus was for company acquisitions, not general public brokerage. A RE license was perceived as a liability, not the knowledge or educational aspect of being a broker.

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2012 · 506 posts · 331 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:
    Originally posted by @Sean Cole:
    Originally posted by @Chris Martin:

    Regarding "If these people would spend some time learning about RE and the different avenues available to them that WOULD make them some money they would stand a much better chance of success." Yup. They would become brokers (licensed) and make money...

     I'm a real estate agent and a full time wholesaler.  My RE license is held by a broker who charges me $3000 a year and I keep 100% of the commissions I generate.  Why would I take the brain damage if that's available?  Traditional brokerages are folding all over the place here - that's not where the money is at anymore.

    My real estate commissions are enough to put me in the top 10% of agents in the country, but it's nothing compared to what the wholesaling business generates for me.  

    You are making my point. You took the effort to educate yourself by becoming a licensed broker. I, too, took the RE licensing class (in 2002) but per the company attorney, I was instructed to NOT take the final because my focus was for company acquisitions, not general public brokerage. A RE license was perceived as a liability, not the knowledge or educational aspect of being a broker.

    Not exactly. I was wholesaling for 2 years prior to becoming a licensed real estate agent. I haven't done additional deals since I became licensed (my annual volume is essentially flat). The difference is that my income has increased because I can now represent myself when I buy off the MLS. Candidly, the licensing classes here in Ohio aren't very helpful when it comes to actually being in the business. Sure you'll learn the laws regarding discrimination, etc., but you aren't taught a lick about running a real estate career (negotiations, contracts, prospecting, etc.).

    Perhaps there's also a difference occurring here because of language - in Ohio, a licensed real estate salesperson is not called a broker.  A broker in Ohio is the owner/manager/responsible party for a group of licensed salespeople.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.