Wholesaling, Direct Mail Target Area

Wholesaling, Direct Mail Target Area

Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 5 votes

Hello BP,

My name is Ethan Johnson. I live in the Portland, Oregon area. I am new to the world of real estate investing and i'm looking to get my foot in the door through launching a direct mail marketing campaign to bring me potential sellers that are either in trouble financially or just need to sell their property quickly . My goal is to send out my first round of mail by the 1st of October. I have started making my website, figuring out what its going to cost to send out the mail, as well as weighing out the pros and cons of sending out postcards, yellow letters, typed letters or flyers and getting prices on them all as well. I believe there was a thread that covered the different mailing methods, if i'm not mistaken. 

My question is, what criteria is used to filter down addresses for that initial send off? What is a good starting point? Are certain zip codes used or is it more based off of the potential sellers financial situation? Im sure plenty of you are familiar with listsource, what is a good starting point on their? Also if there are any additional places productive lists of addresses can be obtained please share some details! i'm just not sure how to narrow down that first mailing. I understand that later on in a direct mail campaign it becomes easier and easier to have a general idea where to send mail and where not to waste time. A good marketer will record the data and analyze as they go and switch things up to produce better results. also, when launching the first round of mail, what are some general guidelines, or specifics that have been used to start a successful marketing campaign?

0Reply
15 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Perry, GA · Member since 2016 · 46 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    If you want to pinpoint a particular area, the best way is the Haines Directory. It is like a phonebook alphabetized by street with names and phone numbers. Do a hand addressed envelope with a hand signed signature, to a well crafted form letter. Key is to make it look 'important' and personal so it isn't tossed as junk mail. Then be sure to follow up with a friendly phone call.

    Years ago you could go to the library and photocopy from the Haines Directory the streets you need. Not sure about today.

    Did this for many years to drum up painting and pressure cleaning jobs in Atlanta. Even worked as a lead chaser for a roofer in Texas. We would the weather for hail storms, which are frequent in Texas, then race to the library to get the Haines listings and beat all the other companies to the work with a simple phone call.

  • Wholesaler · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Ethan, I started a year ago with Property Farm, a group out of LA.  They provide lists that you can filter for notice of defaults, for sale by owners, non-owner occupied, etc.  I didn't have much luck with Property Farm and they seemed to have a very high error rate (returned mail).  I used post cards, then switched to invitation style cards, again without much luck.  I've heard of Listsource but never used it.  I now use Fidelity Title in LO for free lists.  These lists seem to be much more accurate (a lot less returned mail).  I've just switched to form letters and am zeroed in on a few zip codes where there is a lot of real estate activity going on.

    Hope this helps and I look forward to meeting with you in the future.

    P.

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Thanks Phillip. I will definitely check those out for sure.

    So you said you started with post cards and switched.. Did you try both methods of mail to the same lists of were you changing lists as you changed mailing methods? Just curious to know if you limited to changing only one variable at a time because if more than one thing is changed and its for the better you wont know exactly what you did to create that success.

    So up to date, what are you usibg as far as mailing methods and address lists? Are you having better luck these days? And how often are you pumping out mailing rounds and typically how many times are you sending to the same list?? 

    Thanks again for your input anything helps!

    Ethan

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.