Here is what I would do to start wholesaling virtually

Here is what I would do to start wholesaling virtually

Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes

If I was going to start virtual wholesaling, here is what I would do…

Hi all. I am a former wholesaler who is considering getting back in the game. Because I have relocated to rural Iowa, it is likely that I will have to wholesale virtually (in outside markets, all around the country)

Because I have actually done this, I figured I would share the roadmap that I will follow. Sharing with this group because I see a lot of people asking about wholesaling remotely/virtually.

When I start doing this, Ill work according to several rules:

1. This process will be kept SUPER SIMPLE. It’s how I closed my last deal before I stopped wholesaling, so, yes—it works because I have personally done it.

2. The process needs to be as hands-off for me as possible (outsource as much as possible).

NOTE: The process WILL involve finding a deal and then working with another “boots on the ground” wholesaler in the city I am targeting, then splitting the deal 50/50. This is often referred to as “co-wholesaling”. I know some people criticize this method because you are sacrificing so much profit by not hiring your own employee/boots on the ground person, but I see several MAJOR advantages to using a local boots on the ground wholesaler that is already established in my target market….

A local (boots on the ground) wholesaler will save you TONS of time and energy getting set up because they are already established and are set up with:

1. Local buyers

2. Local agents

3. Local (State approved) contracts

4. Local REIA

5. Local closing companies

6. Local real estate attorneys

7. Already knowledgeable about wholesaling

8. Know how to estimate rehab costs

9. Know how to negotiate

10. Know local market/price points

So, if that isn’t what you are interested in doing, there are several other options….

1. Hire your own employee in the city you want to target and train them on how to be boots on the ground

2. Hire someone to negotiate the deal only

3. Hire www.wegolook.com and have someone take pics of the house for $60-$70.

4. Etc.

OK, now that that’s out of the way, here is how MY process will work.

1. Ill pull the lists

2. Ill set up mailers

3. The calls will be screened by an answering service who will set appointments with motivated sellers (The appointment will go on a shared calendar with my boots on the ground guy)

4. Boots on the ground guy will meet with seller, take pics, evaluate rehab costs, negotiate price, and get contract signed.

5. Boots on the ground guy will then shop deal to his buyers lists or otherwise market the contract however they normally do.

6. Boots on the ground guy will go to closing

7. Split 50/50 or 40/60…depending on boots on the ground guy (how much work he did), but this is agreed to ahead of time.

That’s it.

Notice that I personally only do steps 1 and 2. The rest is outsourced. Of course, steps 1 and 2 could be outsourced too, but I actually enjoy pulling lists. Its fun for me – that is all I want to do. I hate talking to sellers, especially.

Ok, you are probably wondering HOW I would do these things, what resources I would use, etc.

Here you go.

1. Decide what city I want to wholesale in.

a. Read this: 17 U.S. Markets With the Best Predicted Single Family Rental Returns for 2016 (https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2016/04/02/best-single-family-rental-returns-2016)

b. Make a post on biggerpockets/wholesaling houses full time and ASK where hot markets are.

c. Google “Best markets for cashflow rentals” or “best markets for flipping houses”

2. Decide which ZIP CODES to target.

a. Watch this video: Virtual Wholesaling - market analysis - most active zipcodes (from Haim Mamane Palman) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WlGqVCyqFw

b. Watch this video: Finding the Best Zip Codes to Target – Brilliant At The Basics Part 2 (from Joe Mccall) http://www.realestateinvestingmastery.com/finding-the-best-zip-codes-to-target-brilliant-at-the-basics-part-2

3. Locate a Boots on the ground EXPERIENCED wholesaler WITH A GOOD REPUTATION in the cities I choose to work in

a. Seach linkedin for “CITY, STATE real estate wholesaler”

b. Contact REIA in city I want to target and ask for wholesalers

c. Search google for “CITY, STATE I buy houses” and contact the websites that come up

d. Make post in biggerpockets/wholesaling houses full time facebook group asking for wholesalers in the city you are targeting

e. Contact closing companies in your target city and ask if they know any established wholesalers they can connect you to (they won’t vouch for losers)

4. Get mailing lists of motivated sellers:

a. Listsource.com

b. USLEADList.com

c. www.Findmotivatedsellersnow.com

d. Public records requests to get (tax delinquent list, divorce list, tired landlord list, section 8 landlord list, code violations list, etc.)

e. Read this list for additional ideas on where to find motivated sellers: https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/93/topics/76751-finding-motivated-sellers-my-list

5. Get a google voice number (which will be forwarded to answering service)

6. Upload list/post card templates

a. Click2mail.com

b. Yellowletterscomplete.com

7. Hire answering service (FOR REAL ESTATE INVESTORS, NOT a regular answering service) that can screen calls, determine motivation, book appointment (ON FIRST CALL) with motivated seller

a. www.managelikeaceo.com (I’ve never used them but a buddy of mine said he uses them and they are awesome. NOTE: I used patlive for this and they SUCKED).

b. https://midwestrev.com/seller-snipers-rei-call-center (Never used them but was told by Haim that they are awesome).

c. Whatever service you choose, they need to be able to quickly determine soft-pass offer price by doing the following (video by Haim) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WTf1-2OUNI

8. Set up answering service to put appointments into google calendar, which will be shared with your boots on the ground wholesaler.

9. Boots on the ground guy will visit property, estimate costs, get under contract, and market for cash buyers, arrange closing

50/50 split.

I just did this a few months back and it worked just fine, so keep the negative ‘it wont work’ comments to yourselves.

Im posting this to help newbies….and because I was already in the process of laying out how I am going to get back into wholesaling for myself, so I am sharing this list which I really created for myself.

There is a bit more that you need to know but I am not going

to write a long book on this. However, this process should be able to help you get up and running….in the beginning. Then, you can bring the answering service in house, hire your own boots on the ground guy, etc.

The best part is…this can EASILY be replicated in any city you want to wholesale in…all from your computer.

22Reply
153 views

Most Popular Reply

Ramy BarsoumPro Member
Investor · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 25 votes
9y

How helpful you are !!

Really appreciate those guys who aren't afraid to share their "know-how".

Thanks you

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul AmegatcherPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brookville, OH · Member since 2016 · 488 posts · 363 votes
    9y

    As an established wholesaler, I would request more than a 50/50 split for the amount of work you are requiring from the boots on the ground/wholesaler.  I think you could do a few more tasks and save yourself the hefty price of the split.

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    9y

    Hi. Please read #7. 

    My point: its negotiable. 

    Thanks. 

  • Sarasota, FL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y

    Thanks.  As a newby (literally signed up for this website about 5 min ago), this is an excellent place to start.  

  • New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 420 posts · 172 votes
    9y
    Nice.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    This post might have taken you longer to write than it does others to do a few deals. You seem to have quite the system. So I assume you've done dozens or hundreds of deals?
  • Ramy BarsoumPro Member
    Investor · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    How helpful you are !!

    Really appreciate those guys who aren't afraid to share their "know-how".

    Thanks you

  • Ramy BarsoumPro Member
    Investor · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    Do you make contract with the Boots on the ground EXPERIENCED wholesaler ?

    or just a verbal agreement ?

    if there's contract, what's its name and terms ?

    Thanks

  • Temple Hills, MD · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Kenneth E.

    Hi Kenneth!

    Thanks so much for sharing. Helping others is the best thin you can do. I like the positive side you see. Much success to you.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing!

  • Phillip LanierPro Member
    Uvalde, TX · Member since 2016 · 141 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Awesome post!  Thank you for sharing!  I think a 50/50 split is fair because if I was one of your "boots", I am getting an appointment with a motivated seller with out having to risk any up front money for marketing.  I don't have to deal with mailers, etc.

    Besides, I love the negotiating part of the process.  

    Heck, where do I sign up?

  • Realtor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 84 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Awesome stuff!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing

  • Lubbock, TX · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank you! I'm "New"

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Sounds like a solid plan but the question I have is that if the "boots on the ground guy" has all of those resources and is doing all of the legwork, what do you bring to the table? I guess Im curoius that if he has the resources that you are looking for, chances are he has the resources that you bring as well.
  • Ramy BarsoumPro Member
    Investor · Ladera Ranch, CA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @Jason D. Your adding value here is getting leads to the experienced "boots on the ground guy". No one says no for more leads. So, if you're a marketing guy and can excel it to get leads, you'd definitely succeed in doing what @Kenneth E. presented, which is brilliant I think.

    Plus, keep in mind you are providing free leads with less profits for this guy, which is definitely good deal for him

    To keep you updated, I did what he proposed and it's working until now.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thank you for sharing

    Agree Haim is awesome!

    Great information.

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    8y

    Glad it helped! Good luck! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    Pass the koolaid!

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    8y

    What does that mean?

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth E.:

    What does that mean?

     Sounds great BUT....state laws come into play. Some states specifically disallow advertising properties unless you own them or are licensed. There is also the question of closing or using BS escape clauses and screwing over sellers. Now, if you are CLOSING--some people identify themselves as "wholesalers" and others as "flippers". What you are proposing, if strictly using contracts to broker in FL, is illegal. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    My head is spinning that just seems like a lot of brain drain to sell a house.. holly man..

    got to be an easier way to make a living

  • Davenport , IA · Member since 2011 · 213 posts · 265 votes
    8y

    Marketing contracts in Florida is illegal?  Are you sure?

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth E.:

    Marketing contracts in Florida is illegal?  Are you sure?

     Using contracts to circumvent licensing is illegal. You ARE selling a property for another. 475.42 and 475.43 apply.

    These guys were advertising properties they did not own:
    https://www.myfloridalicense.com/sto/unlicensedact...

    https://www.myfloridalicense.com/sto/unlicensedact...

    https://www.myfloridalicense.com/sto/unlicensedact...

    There are only two ways to LEGALLY "wholesale" in FL
    1. own it
    2. be licensed

  • Arlington Heights, IL · Member since 2017 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    This post is GOLD! I was just trying to figure out how to get into wholesaling while living abroad. Thank you @Kenneth E. for all the incredibly useful insight!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Kenneth, Thank you for the taking the time to list all this info. Did you ever end up using Seller Snipers with Midwest Revenue Group. https://midwestrev.com/seller-snipers-rei-call-cen...

    I'm thinking of using them to prospect a pre foreclosure list.

    Thank you,

    Frank

  • Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2018 · 38 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    @Kenneth E. I am new to real estate but looking to wholesale myself here in Omaha,NE. I may not be the boots you are looking for just yet here but I know a really good wholesaler in Lincoln,NE and planning to learn from him. He is the younger brother of a good friend of mine who happens to be a buyer here in Omaha, NE. Maybe we can work together in the future. And if you find deals in Lincoln it is possible my friends brother would be interested. All of us go to local REIA meetings as well.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.