Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
Hello, I am 19 and I’ve been following real estate investment for a while now. I would like to hit the road running and start investing as soon as possible. I would like to start through the wholesale market, but my predicament is that I am only 19 and am not sure if people will take my services seriously.
Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
7y
It probably depends on how you approach them. Tell them you are not buying the house but basically selling it for them to one of "your investors" and they will most likely take you more serious than if you told them you are a cash buyer and can close quickly. Not that some 19 year olds aren't cash home buyers, but it is probably rare.
Specialist · Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2013 · 392 posts · 116 votes
7y
@Jeremy Silva - I started a bit older, but I looked young. Many times people (sort of) jokingly asked if I was old enough to buy a house. You can make it work.
I would recommend working extra hard to come off as professional. Wear business casual (or higher) to all meetings, have quality business cards, a good website, etcetera. When you don't have any silver hairs to add to your credibility, people will look to other external cues to judge you. It's not really fair, but it's the real world.
Other than that, work hard, be professional, and go get great deals. Network regularly, read books, take classes, and WORK. You can do it.
Niles, MI · Member since 2015 · 38 posts · 6 votes
7y
If you are worried about how young you look and, therefore, how the seller will react to your offer to buy the home, grow your beard/facial hair out! It may seem minor, but a lot of sales is based on appearances and presentation. Especially if you have low rapport with the seller.