Using Voice over IP DID numbers to avoid the bandit sign police?

Using Voice over IP DID numbers to avoid the bandit sign police?

Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 17 votes

Has anyone used Voice over IP DID numbers to avoid the bandit sign police? I have read that they cannot track you on these numbers.

0Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
15y
Originally posted by Derek Smith:
Thank you Bill I am going to research this as it is probably cheaper. The service I was signing up to is 6.95 per month for 3500 minutes. I forgive me but what is a GV voice mail?

Much cheaper - GV is free :)

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y

    Hi Derek - I use google voice (forwarded to my cell) for my bandit signs. A big plus is that I can get a local number for pretty much any market that I choose to work. The only minor disadvantage is that when the number is forwarded my cell voice mail picks up the call (not my GV voice mail) if I choose not to answer.

    As far as I know, the numbers cannot be traced back to an individual.

    I know of a few investors who will purchase a prepaid cell phone to use for their bandit signs.

  • Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Thank you Bill I am going to research this as it is probably cheaper. The service I was signing up to is 6.95 per month for 3500 minutes. I forgive me but what is a GV voice mail?

  • Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Never mind...GV is google voice!

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Derek Smith:
    Thank you Bill I am going to research this as it is probably cheaper. The service I was signing up to is 6.95 per month for 3500 minutes. I forgive me but what is a GV voice mail?

    Much cheaper - GV is free :)

  • Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Thank you Bill. My account is set up and I have my number. Now I am ordering my first set of signs.

  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    15y

    Derek,

    It is not like they are gonna show up at your home, if they really want you, they will call you to come out and see a home, when you get there you will get nailed. LOL!

    The biggest problem is getting them taken down. It is just part of the game. :mrgreen:

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Rob Gillespie:
    Derek,

    It is not like they are gonna show up at your home, if they really want you, they will call you to come out and see a home, when you get there you will get nailed. LOL!

    Ha! Never thought of that...the devious rascals! Another reason I'm glad I make it a point not to run out to look at single family homes until I have a contract :-)

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    The "police" in Round Rock go to all sorts of extremes to nab those criminal bandit sign posters ;-) Sting operations are not uncommon from what I have heard. It is a good thing they are spending their time doing that while people can steal my tailgate from my driveway and the cops ask me what I want them to do about it!

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    15y

    What Rob posted has happened to my older brother, Kent twice down in South Florida. Great sounding phone call comes in from a really motivated seller only to be handed a ticket and a fine and a time frame for removal of signs!

  • Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 17 votes
    15y

    Thanks folks for you great advice and comments. Have you figured out a way to screen you caller to make sure it is legit. Bill mentioned not going to the house until he has a contract. I am new so how do you get the contract w/o seeing the place first Bill? Or are you buying site unseen? Thanks you all so much for your kindness.

  • Real Estate Investor · Northeast TN, TN · Member since 2008 · 516 posts · 361 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Derek Smith:
    Thanks folks for you great advice and comments. Have you figured out a way to screen you caller to make sure it is legit. Bill mentioned not going to the house until he has a contract. I am new so how do you get the contract w/o seeing the place first Bill? Or are you buying site unseen? Thanks you all so much for your kindness.

    I began getting a property under contract "sight unseen" years ago in order to keep sellers from wasting my time and theirs. I just make my offer contingent on my inspection of the property. Do I always make my offer sight unseen? No. But that's my usual practice.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.