I’ve been taking a look around my market and see tons of lead websites built by the popular site builders. Typically these websites from carrot and propeller have a lot of good strategies for helping people find your website.
My question is this: is it worth it to use one of the popular site builders if the differentiators it helps provide are no longer a differentiator?
For context: I work in software and am able to build websites by myself pretty quickly. I can also create content if I were to build a website on my own.
@Account Closed is the superhero of SEO and he (like I) loves Carrot.
I am also a internet software developer and could easily do all of that without paying for a Carrot site. In fact, I did start down that road. I created a starter site just to have something online as quickly as possible. Well... it's there. I'll give it that. After a while, as I was working in other areas of my business, I realized (largely from following Jerryll and reading his blog) that I really needed to step up my SEO. I now have a Carrot site in the works. It's a lot of work to personalize it, and from what they say, 60% of the people out there don't do that. So right there, you can stand out just by taking the time to personalize it.
So how do you stand out in such a field? It's largely where you focus. When I started, I picked 14 local counties. Some are huge, and some are not. (Hint: I'm working on narrowing my focus.) Within those counties, there are quite a few towns. I know a guy who's quite successful in his real estate business. He wholesales, flips, and rents. He also runs a local REI meetup. At a recent meeting, he said how important his Carrot site is. I had already started building mine, so I went to see how a successful person had set theirs up. Yes, he branded and personalized it, but not very much. He doesn't work on SEO at all. He just set it up and let it sit there. The thing is, in his market, if you do a Google search, he's right there at the top.
If you want your Carrot site to work for you, then prepare to spend quite a bit of time on it. Then also decide what your target market is, both geographically and situationally. For example, would you like everyone in three local towns who are trying to avoid foreclosure to come to you? If so, use your site to target them. Don't try to target everyone in your state. When you pinpoint your focus, you're much more likely to dominate that market.
Finally, this is a personal lesson I'm still learning. I've been a very successful software developer for a long, long time. I could totally do everything that Carrot, D4D apps, CRM apps, etc. can do, and I can likely do it better. (Yes, maybe I have a big ego in that area, but I really have been doing this forever. I also get angry when someone else's solution doesn't work the way I think it should.) The question is, do I want to do all of that? If I want to compete in those areas, providing software to RE investors, then maybe I do want to do all of that, and my real estate is a side gig or hobby. If I want to do it all of myself just to save a few hundred dollars a month, is that really where I want to put my effort? What business am I in here? Where is my time best spent to be successful at it?
And another Finally... You have to decide how to differentiate yourself. Your website is a tool. It's not going to do it for you. What is your message? What is your mission? What makes you special? Are you a NASA Robotics Engineer? If you are, then use that! In fact, I only know one of those, and he's quite successful in his RE business.
I’ve been taking a look around my market and see tons of lead websites built by the popular site builders. Typically these websites from carrot and propeller have a lot of good strategies for helping people find your website.
My question is this: is it worth it to use one of the popular site builders if the differentiators it helps provide are no longer a differentiator?
For context: I work in software and am able to build websites by myself pretty quickly. I can also create content if I were to build a website on my own.
In most businesses the differentiators are execution and improvement. Do those people with carrot websites close all of their leads? Do they have systems to follow up and cultivate their leads?
Websites are important, but a business is much more than a website! :)
@Mike M. Thanks!
Would love to hear your input Jerryll.
@Taylor L.
That’s a really good point, hadn’t thought of it that way! Thanks
@Account Closed is the superhero of SEO and he (like I) loves Carrot.
I am also a internet software developer and could easily do all of that without paying for a Carrot site. In fact, I did start down that road. I created a starter site just to have something online as quickly as possible. Well... it's there. I'll give it that. After a while, as I was working in other areas of my business, I realized (largely from following Jerryll and reading his blog) that I really needed to step up my SEO. I now have a Carrot site in the works. It's a lot of work to personalize it, and from what they say, 60% of the people out there don't do that. So right there, you can stand out just by taking the time to personalize it.
So how do you stand out in such a field? It's largely where you focus. When I started, I picked 14 local counties. Some are huge, and some are not. (Hint: I'm working on narrowing my focus.) Within those counties, there are quite a few towns. I know a guy who's quite successful in his real estate business. He wholesales, flips, and rents. He also runs a local REI meetup. At a recent meeting, he said how important his Carrot site is. I had already started building mine, so I went to see how a successful person had set theirs up. Yes, he branded and personalized it, but not very much. He doesn't work on SEO at all. He just set it up and let it sit there. The thing is, in his market, if you do a Google search, he's right there at the top.
If you want your Carrot site to work for you, then prepare to spend quite a bit of time on it. Then also decide what your target market is, both geographically and situationally. For example, would you like everyone in three local towns who are trying to avoid foreclosure to come to you? If so, use your site to target them. Don't try to target everyone in your state. When you pinpoint your focus, you're much more likely to dominate that market.
Finally, this is a personal lesson I'm still learning. I've been a very successful software developer for a long, long time. I could totally do everything that Carrot, D4D apps, CRM apps, etc. can do, and I can likely do it better. (Yes, maybe I have a big ego in that area, but I really have been doing this forever. I also get angry when someone else's solution doesn't work the way I think it should.) The question is, do I want to do all of that? If I want to compete in those areas, providing software to RE investors, then maybe I do want to do all of that, and my real estate is a side gig or hobby. If I want to do it all of myself just to save a few hundred dollars a month, is that really where I want to put my effort? What business am I in here? Where is my time best spent to be successful at it?
And another Finally... You have to decide how to differentiate yourself. Your website is a tool. It's not going to do it for you. What is your message? What is your mission? What makes you special? Are you a NASA Robotics Engineer? If you are, then use that! In fact, I only know one of those, and he's quite successful in his RE business.
I’ve been taking a look around my market and see tons of lead websites built by the popular site builders. Typically these websites from carrot and propeller have a lot of good strategies for helping people find your website.
My question is this: is it worth it to use one of the popular site builders if the differentiators it helps provide are no longer a differentiator?
For context: I work in software and am able to build websites by myself pretty quickly. I can also create content if I were to build a website on my own.
Dude I like you!
I’ve been taking a look around my market and see tons of lead websites built by the popular site builders. Typically these websites from carrot and propeller have a lot of good strategies for helping people find your website.
My question is this: is it worth it to use one of the popular site builders if the differentiators it helps provide are no longer a differentiator?
For context: I work in software and am able to build websites by myself pretty quickly. I can also create content if I were to build a website on my own.
OK check this out.
Sure there are 4K? carrot sites out there. And most (definitely not all... ahem) look a like, smell alike, taste a like and they all poop out orange carrots.
BUT, think about this for a sec.
Do you think auntie Betty that needs to sell her house because 3 raccoons are terrorizing her living room, knows what an "investorcarrot" website is?
Nope!
Also, do you think she will go past the 3rd Google result?
Nope.
So sure there are 30 more investor carrot websites after the 3rd Google result, she will NEVER even find that out. She will never go past the first few results.
I started with WIX, and learn from my mistake. Don't.
Do you want a pretty website or do you want to make money?
I pick money.
Just for you to get a bit of perspective. I rank #1 with my carrot website right?

These are my leads coming in in 3 days.
The quality of these leads are unmatched, and we get more leads in 3 days (FOR FREE) than most other investors get in 3 months! So honeslty, I wouldn't worry about your concerns.
Instead of focusing how you are the same like everyone else, focus on how you are different/better than everyone else.
If you need help, get on your knees, sacrifice a virgin goat and I will appear in a smoke of awesomecloud (awesomecloud is a thing btw.. it is a Jerryll in gas form... awesomecloud).
Good luck my dude!
@Account Closed is the superhero of SEO and he (like I) loves Carrot.
I am also a internet software developer and could easily do all of that without paying for a Carrot site. In fact, I did start down that road. I created a starter site just to have something online as quickly as possible. Well... it's there. I'll give it that. After a while, as I was working in other areas of my business, I realized (largely from following Jerryll and reading his blog) that I really needed to step up my SEO. I now have a Carrot site in the works. It's a lot of work to personalize it, and from what they say, 60% of the people out there don't do that. So right there, you can stand out just by taking the time to personalize it.
So how do you stand out in such a field? It's largely where you focus. When I started, I picked 14 local counties. Some are huge, and some are not. (Hint: I'm working on narrowing my focus.) Within those counties, there are quite a few towns. I know a guy who's quite successful in his real estate business. He wholesales, flips, and rents. He also runs a local REI meetup. At a recent meeting, he said how important his Carrot site is. I had already started building mine, so I went to see how a successful person had set theirs up. Yes, he branded and personalized it, but not very much. He doesn't work on SEO at all. He just set it up and let it sit there. The thing is, in his market, if you do a Google search, he's right there at the top.
If you want your Carrot site to work for you, then prepare to spend quite a bit of time on it. Then also decide what your target market is, both geographically and situationally. For example, would you like everyone in three local towns who are trying to avoid foreclosure to come to you? If so, use your site to target them. Don't try to target everyone in your state. When you pinpoint your focus, you're much more likely to dominate that market.
Finally, this is a personal lesson I'm still learning. I've been a very successful software developer for a long, long time. I could totally do everything that Carrot, D4D apps, CRM apps, etc. can do, and I can likely do it better. (Yes, maybe I have a big ego in that area, but I really have been doing this forever. I also get angry when someone else's solution doesn't work the way I think it should.) The question is, do I want to do all of that? If I want to compete in those areas, providing software to RE investors, then maybe I do want to do all of that, and my real estate is a side gig or hobby. If I want to do it all of myself just to save a few hundred dollars a month, is that really where I want to put my effort? What business am I in here? Where is my time best spent to be successful at it?
And another Finally... You have to decide how to differentiate yourself. Your website is a tool. It's not going to do it for you. What is your message? What is your mission? What makes you special? Are you a NASA Robotics Engineer? If you are, then use that! In fact, I only know one of those, and he's quite successful in his RE business.
Straw @Barry Pekin cake, is correct.
A site, carrot or otherwise is not going to just magically give you leads.
ALSO NOTE THIS:
Ranking #1 does NOT get you leads... AT ALL!!!
Ranking #1 gets you traffic. HUGE difference between traffic and leads.
Focus on website credibility and magic will happen!
@Noah Brinker I come from a computer background as well, here’s my take.
Why use a cookie cutter site?
Most people out there don’t have a background where they can code a webpage and link everything together into a seamless website. So what do they do? They open google and type “Easy website builder”. After the thousandth person does this, you start to notice trends when checking out all these sites.....they all look the same.
The harsh reality of it all? Most people don’t actively care about what the site looks like as long as they can access what information they want. Make it flow well, present the content in an easy to understand way and most people will be happy!
What’s important to you? You could spend hours crafting a work of art, the “Mona Lisa of RE websites”, or spend an hour or two throwing up a decent looking site. No one will be none the wiser.
Ultimately, if you enjoy building websites and you’re skilled enough to make one in a short amount of time, go for it! Make that site and have pride in the fact that you didn’t copy+paste into a template. Either way Noah, good luck!
@Barry Pekin
Thanks Barry. Good stuff to consider.
@Jerryll Noorden
Thanks man! That’s part of my question - does a Carrot website hinder credibility if it looks the same and has the same content as all the others?
What factors go into credibility if most websites look the same with the same keyword content etc.?
@Garrett Crawford
Thanks for the reply! That’s a good point. I’m not necessarily concerned with having a pretty website, more so concerned with getting the top ranking for keywords. I’m assuming (right or wrong) that a unique website would give me more credibility than having the same website and template as all the others.
@Noah Brinker I come from a computer background as well, here’s my take.
Why use a cookie cutter site?
Most people out there don’t have a background where they can code a webpage and link everything together into a seamless website. So what do they do? They open google and type “Easy website builder”. After the thousandth person does this, you start to notice trends when checking out all these sites.....they all look the same.
The harsh reality of it all? Most people don’t actively care about what the site looks like as long as they can access what information they want. Make it flow well, present the content in an easy to understand way and most people will be happy!
What’s important to you? You could spend hours crafting a work of art, the “Mona Lisa of RE websites”, or spend an hour or two throwing up a decent looking site. No one will be none the wiser.
Ultimately, if you enjoy building websites and you’re skilled enough to make one in a short amount of time, go for it! Make that site and have pride in the fact that you didn’t copy+paste into a template. Either way Noah, good luck!
That's all good and well, and why I did my site myself originally. But having a site, and having a good SEO site with good lead conversion is a whole different skillset from just making a site that looks good. Carrot has a LOT of resources helping you with those issues.
But, yeah, it costs money and a skilled person can always do it themselves. I ask again, is that where you want to spend your effort? Or, are you satisfied with just having a web presence?
SEO is a VERY DANGEROUS way to rely on to power your business. You are relying on Google to not change the rules.
And Google is CONSTANTLY CHANGING THE RULES. Penguin, Panda (7 updates so far), Hummingbird, and Pigeon are names that have killed many businesses that relied 100% on SEO for traffic. It takes a LOT OF WORK to keep up to date on the latest SEO changes. There are so many so called SEO Gurus, that charge major $, that don't know what they are talking about.
Google takes the top 3 positions for Paid Traffic. And many people don't even realize that is a mostly a pay to play position. Google pays their bills with paid advertising, and wants everyone to pay the Google Tax. FB is also a pay to play ecosystem.
Having a Funnel, and doing lots of remarketing to get a conversion is key. A/B Testing is a key part of this strategy to see what works best. Conversion is the final goal, and to get there takes a lot of work.
Coding is just a tool, and the question to consider, what is the best, most valuable use of your time. If it's playing $20 an hour coder for work you can outsource or use a third part site for, OK. Sometimes do to cash flow this is a necessity.The goal of any business owner should be focusing on the $100 or even $1,000 an hour work, and delegate the lower value work to others. Time is such a precious commodity.
Peter Drucker Question:
- Are you doing the right work?
Foundation Drucker Questions:
- Who is your customer?
- What does your customer value?
- What can you provide that your customer values?
- How do you measure this?
I ran my own eCommerce business for almost 20 years and it was a huge learning experience, as well as working doing E commerce Marketing for Fortune 500 reseller.
@Ray R.
Thanks Ray. Viewing it as a business is a good perspective to have. I think there’s still value in working on SEO to try to get a high organic ranking but I agree it shouldn’t be the whole strategy.
I’d love to know your thoughts on the impact of sticking with a Carrot website + content or trying to be unique and build the site and content myself.
@Noah Brinker - I have not explored that part of the Real Estate Business yet.
I would build a spreadsheet for making your decision, base it on what Glenn Livingston did. It gave me a whole new prospective on decision making to decide where I should prioritize.
http://payperclicksearchmarket...
Ryan Levesque builds on Glenn Livingson's market research methodology, to figure out the value in your market. He has a book on Amazon, "Ask", and it's a great read.
https://www.amazon.com/Ask-Cou...
Glenn Livingston I think, has figured out he can make a bundle of money by using his skills to go after a huge market segment, instead of teaching his skills as he used to or offering them as a service.
A good question to ask, is if my goal is X, what do I need to do to achieve X in 5 years. Write down, and start executing, and set up a review process to make sure you are on track.
@Ray R.
That’s really helpful. Thanks!
I’ll look into those resources.
@Noah Brinker I come from a computer background as well, here’s my take.
Why use a cookie cutter site?
Most people out there don’t have a background where they can code a webpage and link everything together into a seamless website. So what do they do? They open google and type “Easy website builder”. After the thousandth person does this, you start to notice trends when checking out all these sites.....they all look the same.
The harsh reality of it all? Most people don’t actively care about what the site looks like as long as they can access what information they want. Make it flow well, present the content in an easy to understand way and most people will be happy!
What’s important to you? You could spend hours crafting a work of art, the “Mona Lisa of RE websites”, or spend an hour or two throwing up a decent looking site. No one will be none the wiser.
Ultimately, if you enjoy building websites and you’re skilled enough to make one in a short amount of time, go for it! Make that site and have pride in the fact that you didn’t copy+paste into a template. Either way Noah, good luck!
Wrong.
Thats like saying because a car has 4 wheels, it is a cookie cutter automobil.
People simply don't think multidementional. You need to look further into twhat you THINK you see.
Tell me .. WHY do people say carrot is a cookie cutter site?
honstly.. why?
Because it has a menu on top? Oh because it has a form in the hero section?
Isn't it like saying all cars are the same because it has 4 wheels?
Are all hammers the same?
No.
So you have a computer background.
Well I have a Mechanical Aerospace, math... background.. does this mean I am going to make a mold out of clay heat it up, and poor molten iron in the mold to create the housing of a alternator when I build my own car?... JUST BECAUSE I know how to do it?
No. I go to Napa autoparts and I am buying the component.
Why in MSOOTKAUG's name would you want to reinvent the wheel when you KNOW carrot sites work. Do a search for "We buy houses city state" and see for yourself that carrot sites take the top spots on Google without fail.
Don't be so elementary and look beyond what is evident.
It is not just the site. It is the hosting speed, mobile friendliness, the security etc. etc. that Google loves about the sites that I do not have a say or access to. That is why I love the carrot sites. Sure I whiped the site clean and did my own thing afterwards.
But remember this... like a hammer to build a house, its a TOOL. Are you going to buy a differnt model hammer because the best hammer in the world, everyone also has?
Are you not going to buy a GMC pickup with the horsepower you desperately need because many people also have a GMC?
No right?
well there you have it!
If you have your own reasons for really needing a custom website, sure. Go for it. But to choose to pick a different site/system despite it obviously working simply because many people use it.. that is nonsense.
SEO is a VERY DANGEROUS way to rely on to power your business. You are relying on Google to not change the rules.
And Google is CONSTANTLY CHANGING THE RULES. Penguin, Panda (7 updates so far), Hummingbird, and Pigeon are names that have killed many businesses that relied 100% on SEO for traffic. It takes a LOT OF WORK to keep up to date on the latest SEO changes. There are so many so called SEO Gurus, that charge major $, that don't know what they are talking about.
Google takes the top 3 positions for Paid Traffic. And many people don't even realize that is a mostly a pay to play position. Google pays their bills with paid advertising, and wants everyone to pay the Google Tax. FB is also a pay to play ecosystem.
Having a Funnel, and doing lots of remarketing to get a conversion is key. A/B Testing is a key part of this strategy to see what works best. Conversion is the final goal, and to get there takes a lot of work.
Coding is just a tool, and the question to consider, what is the best, most valuable use of your time. If it's playing $20 an hour coder for work you can outsource or use a third part site for, OK. Sometimes do to cash flow this is a necessity.The goal of any business owner should be focusing on the $100 or even $1,000 an hour work, and delegate the lower value work to others. Time is such a precious commodity.
Peter Drucker Question:
- Are you doing the right work?
Foundation Drucker Questions:
- Who is your customer?
- What does your customer value?
- What can you provide that your customer values?
- How do you measure this?
I ran my own eCommerce business for almost 20 years and it was a huge learning experience, as well as working doing E commerce Marketing for Fortune 500 reseller.
(VERY) Wrong.
It is always those that know nothing about true SEO that say that.... spread the word, and then innocent people like you read that and are completely misinformed.
True SEO has NOTHING to do with Google. (at least not in the way you imagine).
I am completely immune (to certain extent of course) to Google updates.
Why?
If you understood the point and reason for Google's algorithm updates, you would clearly see and agree with me how and why I am immune.
SEO is a FANTASTIC way to incorporate with your business.
Tell me.. I rely on nothing but SEO to get my leads.
So lets say SEO suddenly disappears, Google dissappears..
How am I any different from all you other investors that are doing DMM?
All I have to do is send out 3000 mailers and I am back on track just like most of you are doing.
SEO is a long term strategy. Most everything else is instant gratification. There is ZERO risk relying on SEO to get your leads.
I have been ranking #1 on Goolge for 4 years now. How many Google updates has internet seen in 4 years? Yet I get stronger rankings every single time Google releases an update. All the while I keep saying "FROG GOOGLE ".. I do not give a crap about Google... and Google loves me for it... literally!
If you want to know the hows and why's just ask. If interested I will teach you the ins and outs about it!
@Jerryll Noorden
Thanks man! That’s part of my question - does a Carrot website hinder credibility if it looks the same and has the same content as all the others?
What factors go into credibility if most websites look the same with the same keyword content etc.?
Every time I hear anyone say "Ohh keywords this keywords that, Keyword volume, keyword.. BLA BLA BLA"..
I just laugh at them .
HOW many times do you see big popular companies and giants in the SEO field talk about keywords like that?
When I keep telling people NO ONE knows a damn thing about true SEO I am NOT KIDDING.
Friggin damn rookies ALL of them!
Proof?
Sure:
Do you honestly think I have that keyphrase on my website?
With my huge ego you'd think I do.. but I don't.
Google goes by SEARCH INTENT!!!!!!! Not the actual keywords.
Just make sure you let google know what your site is about and you will rank #1 for every damn keyword you can think off in our space.
BOOM!
And again...
having a carrot site being similar doesn't affect credibility... because the sellers won't ever go beyond result #3.
Let me repeat this to avoid missunderstandings...
having a carrot site being similar doesn't affect credibility, because it is not about being different. It is about the believability you will do as you say on your website.
Most of the time you see investors add videos, and pictures and put a "localized landmark" on their site. DUDES... stop that. I know carrot says you should do it, and they mean well... BUT you are simply trying TOO hard to look credible.
Do you honestly think that when a seller lands on your site, that because you do not have a picture of your local mall on your site they will not fill in the form?
Do you see ExpressHomeBuyers with a damn picture of the Mall on their site? Does it look like I put a picture of the Hartford skyline on my site? Does it look like I have a shortage of leads?
Trying too hard to be credible does the opposite.
Are you telling me that a scammer can not just grab a picture of a mall and put it on their site? That picture does nothing for you when it comes to credibility!
See the difference?
AND keep in mind what I said..
Credibility is not obtained by being different. Credibility you get by being credible!
And btw... when I tell you "you are wrong" don't be all butt hurt. I am simply direct, and I do not sugar coat things. I have no time honestly to mind other peoples insecurities and I won;'t adapt my language if others are not secure enough to be spoken to directly.
That said it is never meant rudely.. I am just blunt.
:)
@Jerryll Noorden
Thanks man! That’s part of my question - does a Carrot website hinder credibility if it looks the same and has the same content as all the others?
What factors go into credibility if most websites look the same with the same keyword content etc.?
Every time I hear anyone say "Ohh keywords this keywords that, Keyword volume, keyword.. BLA BLA BLA"..
I just laugh at them .
HOW many times do you see big popular companies and giants in the SEO field talk about keywords like that?
When I keep telling people NO ONE knows a damn thing about true SEO I am NOT KIDDING.
Friggin damn rookies ALL of them!
Proof?
Sure:
Do you honestly think I have that keyphrase on my website?
With my huge ego you'd think I do.. but I don't.
Google goes by SEARCH INTENT!!!!!!! Not the actual keywords.
Just make sure you let google know what your site is about and you will rank #1 for every damn keyword you can think off in our space.
BOOM!
And again...
having a carrot site being similar doesn't affect credibility... because the sellers won't ever go beyond result #3.
Let me repeat this to avoid missunderstandings...
having a carrot site being similar doesn't affect credibility, because it is not about being different. It is about the believability you will do as you say on your website.
Most of the time you see investors add videos, and pictures and put a "localized landmark" on their site. DUDES... stop that. I know carrot says you should do it, and they mean well... BUT you are simply trying TOO hard to look credible.
Do you honestly think that when a seller lands on your site, that because you do not have a picture of your local mall on your site they will not fill in the form?
Do you see ExpressHomeBuyers with a damn picture of the Mall on their site? Does it look like I put a picture of the Hartford skyline on my site? Does it look like I have a shortage of leads?
Trying too hard to be credible does the opposite.
Are you telling me that a scammer can not just grab a picture of a mall and put it on their site? That picture does nothing for you when it comes to credibility!
See the difference?
AND keep in mind what I said..
Credibility is not obtained by being different. Credibility you get by being credible!
Wow, thanks. I have been looking at Carrot too and had some of the same questions. Great points. I needed the examples and the assuredness that you demonstrate. Looking to do an investor site and an agent site. Carrot has different programs for each and also trying to see where they differ. I had an agent site and it sucked.
I was turned off by all the sameness of the Carrot sites. But the way I found the carrot sites was searching who is coming in top position for those motivated sellers keyword. Proof is in the pudding and you cleared up my issue.
What about focusing on Buyers, what is best strategy for that? Besides getting listings [Im an agent and looking for motivated sellers but also for ready buyers, not 9 months out buyers. Specific buyers, can you identify their intent and search modalities. Most go look at Zillow and the like and then Zillow dominates that model, would like to bypass that and siphon off some of those buyers to sell a particular property. ie a listing that needs some love.
When you look for agents and the like the big fancy, showing IDX sites come up. But they dont convert need something that does. And going back to the drawing board.
>And btw... when I tell you "you are wrong" don't be all butt hurt.
I see it as a Persona, so I don't take it personally. If it works for you in this area to get clients, good for you!
Seems you have a business teaching SEO in Real Estate, which is impressive.
Pro Tips - Free advice, no charge!
1. Get a script to update the all rights reserved date on your website, a 2017 date gives a poor impression to the more techi types. With WordPress there is lots of stuff available. Hopefully your keeping up to date with all the security stuff, WordPress has so many security issues, unfortunately.
2. Do A/B Testing, I am not seeing the plugins on your site. A key issue with websites, is you don't know, what you don't know. Yes, I have studied Avinash Kaushik, both reading and taken classes from him.
3. And get more than 70 connections on LinkedIn to build your credibility, along with people claiming you walk on water. LinkedIn SEO was another area I played around with for a while. Yes, I got more than 500 connections, and one person I helped as a favor on their linkedin profile doubled their salary getting a new job moving up to a Senior Executive Position in a Bay Area Company. Yes, I worked in Silicon Valley for a while.
Back to SEO Stuff:
I am not meaning to insult the business you have built. If you have the time, can keep up with the Google Updates, and willing to play the game, great. Most people don't have the time to do that, and Google does stealth updates and all of a sudden your traffic falls. And I have seen a lot of businesses get killed by Google Updates. And I have seen a LOT of people claim to be SEO Gurus, and they are full of it. I find I now more about SEO than they do, and they start saying they do stuff that google has deliberately targeted and no longer works. Relying on SEO for your business is highly dangerous, you are one algorithm change away from disaster.
The headache with SEO, is if a technique becomes too good, Google will target it. Google is looking for signals for how good a website is, and if they think you are faking those signals, out comes an update. Backlinks from lots of low quality websites - gone. Article Marketing - gone. Keyword stuffing - gone. Low quality content - gone. And since Google is spying on your website, they know your bounce rate, time on page, speed, etc.
And Google can decide to enter a business area, and there goes your business. Microsoft did the same thing in Windows, where they would incorporate functionality that was separate software.
Not to mention how reviews have become more important, as a signal on how good your site is.
Google is the source of most traffic now days, and Google is very focused on steering the traffic to paid search. Google is trying to make search individual, and that messes up the entire keyword methodology. And if Google deliberately down ranks your site, because they think it's spammy, good luck on recovering from that.
The problem with most SEO types, is they don't understand A/B Testing, the need to have a scientific approach to documenting changes, and focus on converting the traffic using remarketing, since it may take several visits to convert a customer. Usability, conversion, bounce rate, speed, keeping Google happy and getting the right traffic are key. All traffic is not created equal.
My background on SEO. I know a couple of non Real Estate Top 1% SEO people, and I have done SEO since 1996, pre Google, think Alta Vista where white text keyword stuffing was a technique. I'm active in a private group that has a lot of top Internet Marketers in it and we all agree, having a sole source of traffic, is very dangerous. On top of my personal study, I have personally paid for a couple of Internet Guru Marketing classes, coaching, and consulting, and got deep into usability, conversion optimization, and reviews. I was going to get into Conversion Optimization Consulting with a funnel and everything set up with white papers done, but my life went a different path, and now I am in property management. My Engineering, IT, E-Commerce, Marketing, and Business background do help a lot in figuring out the Real Estate Ecosystem. Peter Drucker told me I was very good at listening, so I listen to a lot to see trends in the industry.
My 2 Cents on SEO, worth what you paid for it.
>And btw... when I tell you "you are wrong" don't be all butt hurt.
I see it as a Persona, so I don't take it personally. If it works for you in this area to get clients, good for you!
Seems you have a business teaching SEO in Real Estate, which is impressive.
Pro Tips - Free advice, no charge!
1. Get a script to update the all rights reserved date on your website, a 2017 date gives a poor impression to the more techi types. With WordPress there is lots of stuff available. Hopefully your keeping up to date with all the security stuff, WordPress has so many security issues, unfortunately.
2. Do A/B Testing, I am not seeing the plugins on your site. A key issue with websites, is you don't know, what you don't know. Yes, I have studied Avinash Kaushik, both reading and taken classes from him.
3. And get more than 70 connections on LinkedIn to build your credibility, along with people claiming you walk on water. LinkedIn SEO was another area I played around with for a while. Yes, I got more than 500 connections, and one person I helped as a favor on their linkedin profile doubled their salary getting a new job moving up to a Senior Executive Position in a Bay Area Company. Yes, I worked in Silicon Valley for a while.
Back to SEO Stuff:
I am not meaning to insult the business you have built. If you have the time, can keep up with the Google Updates, and willing to play the game, great. Most people don't have the time to do that, and Google does stealth updates and all of a sudden your traffic falls. And I have seen a lot of businesses get killed by Google Updates. And I have seen a LOT of people claim to be SEO Gurus, and they are full of it. I find I now more about SEO than they do, and they start saying they do stuff that google has deliberately targeted and no longer works. Relying on SEO for your business is highly dangerous, you are one algorithm change away from disaster.
The headache with SEO, is if a technique becomes too good, Google will target it. Google is looking for signals for how good a website is, and if they think you are faking those signals, out comes an update. Backlinks from lots of low quality websites - gone. Article Marketing - gone. Keyword stuffing - gone. Low quality content - gone. And since Google is spying on your website, they know your bounce rate, time on page, speed, etc.
And Google can decide to enter a business area, and there goes your business. Microsoft did the same thing in Windows, where they would incorporate functionality that was separate software.
Not to mention how reviews have become more important, as a signal on how good your site is.
Google is the source of most traffic now days, and Google is very focused on steering the traffic to paid search. Google is trying to make search individual, and that messes up the entire keyword methodology. And if Google deliberately down ranks your site, because they think it's spammy, good luck on recovering from that.
The problem with most SEO types, is they don't understand A/B Testing, the need to have a scientific approach to documenting changes, and focus on converting the traffic using remarketing, since it may take several visits to convert a customer. Usability, conversion, bounce rate, speed, keeping Google happy and getting the right traffic are key. All traffic is not created equal.
My background on SEO. I know a couple of non Real Estate Top 1% SEO people, and I have done SEO since 1996, pre Google, think Alta Vista where white text keyword stuffing was a technique. I'm active in a private group that has a lot of top Internet Marketers in it and we all agree, having a sole source of traffic, is very dangerous. On top of my personal study, I have personally paid for a couple of Internet Guru Marketing classes, coaching, and consulting, and got deep into usability, conversion optimization, and reviews. I was going to get into Conversion Optimization Consulting with a funnel and everything set up with white papers done, but my life went a different path, and now I am in property management. My Engineering, IT, E-Commerce, Marketing, and Business background do help a lot in figuring out the Real Estate Ecosystem. Peter Drucker told me I was very good at listening, so I listen to a lot to see trends in the industry.
My 2 Cents on SEO, worth what you paid for it.
Thanks for the tips... very awesome tips.
Know though... all I truly care about is SEO.
You are correct that, all you said is what all the top 1% SEO people preach.. but sadly it is again... ok fine... let me not use the word: "wrong", I will say.. it is "not correct". Hope that comes over better..
And know this... I am not here to convince you or tell you what to do. I am here to teach you/correct you so you can do better... if you choose to be taught/listen to someone with a proven trackracord of dominating SEO. If not.. absolutely no offence taken. But know this. This is not a battle of "who knows more" I really do not care how much or how much you think you know or how many years you have been doing this. I am doing this a little over 3 years so that is not long at all compared to you.
So if you care to listen, this is how it all works:
Yes you are correct that Google looks at metrics that can be faked. And this is exactly why and how I develop my strategies. I will explain.
What is the ONLY metric that can NOT be faked?
thousands of people visiting your website, bookmarking your website, spending 9 minutes on your websites, scrolling all the way down, then back up, then down again, clicking all your buttons etc. etc.. and all that happening all over the next day.
that can not be faked.
My strategies use this and only this to rank, and no one can match me. Often because most of you "have no time", and this is an other reason I am at the top. Seriously people, if your EXCUSE is "I have no time for SEO" you really need to wake up. SEO = MAKING A LOT OF MONEY.
(who in the hell doesn't have time to make money?? thats lunacy). You have time for bandit signs? Cold calling? Dealing with pissed off sellers that received your mailer? You have time to track, design, KPI, skiptrace your mailers... but you have no time for SEO? Yeah you deserve to struggle (the generic you, not you, you).
While you and everyone else is obsessing with Google updates... I absolutely don't. Why? I will always be Google approved/immune, because I am doing exactly what Google wants me to do.... provide value to my traffic. And that is 100% of my SEO strategies. NONE of my strategies involve "pleasing Google" which is 100% of what you have tipped me... and if you have followed me for the last 3 years on here, that is the ONE thing I keep telling people NOT TO DO!
So you really shouldn't give these tips to people. They are wrong. Seriously man. Not joking!
Now let me address your indirect accusations:
1)
I do have A/B testing software.. (CrazyEgg, look it up. They are awesome. I also applied many of the things you have mentioned about my site, but again.. I am not going to play the "I know more than you" game.
How many SEO guys will return their FIRST name when they do a Google search related to the most sought after keywords?
2)
I do not look for clients on BP.
In fact On BP I focus on providing value. I ALWAYS tell people you can do SEO yourself and you do not need to hire or pay anyone for SEO. INCLUDING ME!
More?
Have you noticed my responses are 15 pages long explaining every single time how SEO works? Teaching people how to do it and giving away my secrets? People often just assume things and you really shouldn't. I have 31 more screenshots where I tell people directly :" Do NOT hire an SEO company. You can absolutely do it yourself it is easy".
So I hope you can see now, that you were wrong. Your entire perception of my messages were wrong. I AM trying to help you! No need to feel offended because someone tells you that you are wrong.
Anyways... lets not go back and forth... I hope you listen to me because I promise you, most people do SEO completely wrong. Good luck.
@Jerryll Noorden
Wow, thanks. I have been looking at Carrot too and had some of the same questions. Great points. I needed the examples and the assuredness that you demonstrate. Looking to do an investor site and an agent site. Carrot has different programs for each and also trying to see where they differ. I had an agent site and it sucked.
I was turned off by all the sameness of the Carrot sites. But the way I found the carrot sites was searching who is coming in top position for those motivated sellers keyword. Proof is in the pudding and you cleared up my issue.
What about focusing on Buyers, what is best strategy for that? Besides getting listings [Im an agent and looking for motivated sellers but also for ready buyers, not 9 months out buyers. Specific buyers, can you identify their intent and search modalities. Most go look at Zillow and the like and then Zillow dominates that model, would like to bypass that and siphon off some of those buyers to sell a particular property. ie a listing that needs some love.
When you look for agents and the like the big fancy, showing IDX sites come up. But they dont convert need something that does. And going back to the drawing board.
Very welcome my dude.
So... to answer your questions.
This is what you need to know to get buyers.
SEO is a formula. It is an equation. LITERALLY. It is an algorithm. The method to come up with the desired result keeps changing, BUT THE RESULT DOES NOT!
The result is "bring forth the best website relevant to the keywords entered into the search".
THAT is the end goal for Google. That is the result.
Now the reason the algorithm keeps changing is simply this.
"How do we stay 3 steps ahead of those that try to manipulate the rankings". So the ONLY real function of the algorithm is to catch people that try to manipulate the rankings.
This is why I told the gentleman above he is wrong. he and 3 other billion people try to rank high by pleasing Google. By obeying the rules Google has set forth. Which in theory is good. But in practice... you end up trying to please google and NOT your traffic. Pleasing your traffic is VERY different from trying to please Google.
THAT is the secret.
So now take a look again at Googles Goal. Bring forth the best website. Right?
The sure way to have google realize that your website is the best website is by making sure your traffic LOVES your website.
That is how you do it.
HOW simple is that??
So to get buyers... remember there is ONE formula for SEO.
You do the exact same thing you would do for motivated sellers.
The formula stays the same, the variables within the formula adapt now to "buyers".
See for motivated sellers this is what matters:
credibility because a lot of "us" are scammers and greedy wholesalers and they exploit sellers and this is sadly common knowledge. So for finding motivated sellers you need to provide value...
Value to a motivated seller is:
"please do not scam me".
"please really be able to close fast"
"please be the one that buys my house if you say you are the one buying my house"
"please don't give me an offer and then after contract is signed reduce the offer"
Those things provide value to a seller. and the sellers will love you if you can show them beyond a doubt you are "credible".
So to find buyers, you do the exact same thing:
What is a buyer? What are their concerns, what are there desires? Those items.. that is what you will substitute for the sellers items and you will attract buyers.
That is the buyer's "Credibility" that you need to have present on your site.
Do you follow?