How to wholesale ethically and honestly

How to wholesale ethically and honestly

Member since 2020 · 3 posts · 4 votes

Hello, i am new to real estate looking to get into wholesaling. My biggest hangup with this model is that it seems almost all the “gurus” teach to lie to homeowners and say that I am going to buy the property which is simply not true and I wouldn’t tell them something which is not truthful.

However, I know there are plenty of amazing wholesalers who do things with integrity and transparency, so I’m here to get some advice from you awesome wholesalers!

How do you position yourself to property owners so that you can get a deal done? I’d appreciate advice from the perspective of not actually having any capital to close the deal myself. How do I turn “Hey, I don’t have any money to buy your property but I have connections with people who do. I’d like one of those people to buy your property while I get a cut of the profits for having found the property” into something that actually sounds good and closes deals?

2Reply
135 views

Most Popular Reply

China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
5y

@Michael Yates It's good that you're asking these questions.  Sadly, the answer is that you can't.

For the record, I no longer sell real estate.  I've migrated into business brokering, so I have no dog in this hunt.  I just hate seeing people getting screwed.

Start with the law.  In every state that I know of, an unlicensed person cannot market a property that he doesn't already own - meaning that your name is already on the title.

Real estate license law is put into place to protect the public from unethical practices, whether that's from a wholesaler or a real estate agent.

Wholesalers and guru courses will tell you that by putting a property under contract gives them equitable interest.  I have personally run this by a real estate attorney and by the real estate commissions in the two states where I still hold a real estate license - Massachusetts and Maine.  They all agree that even discussing a property like this being available for sale or assignment is a license-required activity.

Look at how wholesalers operate. Typically, they put a property under contract with a vanishingly small EMD so that they have nearly zero skin in the game. While the homeowner thinks their property is about to be sold, the wholesaler tries to find a buyer. When he fails, he walks away and shatters whatever plans the homeowner had. But hey, they get to keep that $10.00 EMD, right?

Wholesalers make their profit by stealing equity from homeowners who are either not aware of the fair market value of their home or are in such a desperate circumstance that they have to take a bad deal (well below fair market value) so that they can get out of a jam.  The fact that these things are making you question the ethics of wholesaling is encouraging.  It means that your conscience isn't completely dead.

Here's a little icing on the cake. Entering into a contract like a P&S without both the intent and ability to fulfill the obligations therein is a tort known as "fraud in the inducement". https://dictionary.law.com/Def...

Wholesalers like to yell and scream "but the contract says it's assignable and that makes it legal!"  That's true if it's a contract to buy a truckload of apples, but state governments make an exception for real estate transactions.  Again, they do that to prevent unsavvy (and desperate) people from being taken advantage of - which is the wholesaler's stock in trade.

The weird thing is that wholesalers do a lot of the same things that Realtors do.  Find someone who wants to sell.  Market the property.  Find buyers.  Show the property.  Get the deal across the finish line - which involves a LOT of work.

The difference is that the Realtor works within the law and more important, the Realtor is a fiduciary to the seller.  That means that as a matter of law and ethics, the Realtor puts the seller's interests first and foremost.  The wholesaler puts his own interests first to the detriment of the homeowner.

If you want to wholesale ethically, close on the property and then resell it after you own it.  That's known as "wholetailing".  Better yet, buy dilapidated properties, rehab them and then sell them for a profit.  You improve the neighborhood, the seller gets out of a bad property, the town sees improved tax revenues, the buyer gets a nice home.  Everybody wins.

Rehabbers add value.  Wholesalers steal value.

Of course, the best solution is to get your real estate license and subject yourself to all the regulations that are in place to protect consumers. There is literally nothing that a wholesaler can do that a Realtor can't. Realtors will list a home on the MLS and expose the property to probably 100,000 times the number of potential buyers that a wholesaler can. By definition, that means more money in the seller's pocket and more protection during the process.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Michael Yates - Thank you for the kind words about my post!  

    We are looking for more bird dogs on our wholesale team (@Brandon Passley) so if you or anyone else you know has extra time we can put you to work.

  • Boxborough, MA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 62 votes
    5y

    Hi Michael,

    You do not have to lie to any person to wholesale. You are helping them out of a problem. Some reasons people sell to an investor is that they won't have to do any work to the property, won't need an inspection, won't need a clean out or any other pre-sale prep. There will be no financing contingency, no need for appraisal or worry that a loan will get rejected at the last minute. Also, it is completely on the sellers time -line, no matter how short or long that time frame is. A commission does not have to be paid. There are no open houses, no showings, and no re-negotiation on price.

    I am a student of someone named Chris Jefferson, who has created a step-by-step course on wholesaling. Look him up on ChargedUp University. There is an initial cost, but then is $97 a month thereafter. Chris is very involved in his program . We role play phone calls every week, and I think on Mondays, he holds a meeting where he answers any questions you may have. Chris is very down to earth, is not a con-artist like many gurus out there asking for thousands of dollars. Also, there is a place to post and get help in a place called BAND.  I am so glad I found his program! Just sayin'!

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    5y

    A lot of members on biggerpockets hate wholesalers, the last 10 years ive been on BP its been the same argument year after year. In a nut shell I would just say do what seems right to each party in the transaction. I cannot tell you how many times we have raised our front side purchase price just to throw the sellers more $$$ once we have secured a buyer or funding for a property, as well as how many times sellers have thanked us for what we do. I don't care how many times you want to throw around the "but a realtor could do XYZ" argument because I don't know many people in Orlando/Florida who could do what we do, as fast as we do it. I've had a seller with no will AND in preforeclosure call me on monday, start title work on tuesday, close on friday, and die on saturday. Those proceeds from the sale paid for their funeral, their debts, ETC. A regular Realtor would not be able to pull that off. I don't care what anyone says. (that being said, we are realtors/brokers as well but I am talking true off market real estate here)

    Good wholesalers are good marketers...that is their main job...Good investors/rehabbers/etc are good landlords/rehabbers...I find that typically a good rehabber rarely has time to become a good marketer as well, and vice versa. Wholesalers have a place in this world, unfortunately a lot of wholesalers have just given themselves a bad rap by not doing things as ethically as we would all like done.

    fight the good fight, do whats right. 

  • Contractor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 267 posts · 144 votes
    5y

    @Charlie MacPherson I’ve only recently started studying to be an agent in Indiana, in the first hour or so of reading I realized that by the definition of an agent/ broker wholesaling was illegal.

    In any case Charlie is right. You SHOULD get a license and help the customers sell their home to a much larger market AND you will also be better equipped to help them because you will have a better education than the average wholesaler.

    I used to work for a wholesaler, i thought a pretty reputable company, till I saw how slimy even those are. I couldn’t work there anymore.

    Don’t be a wholesaler. Do find a way to sell houses/invest within the law and with integrity.

  • New to Real Estate · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 19 posts · 21 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Howaniec:

    @Charlie MacPherson I’ve only recently started studying to be an agent in Indiana, in the first hour or so of reading I realized that by the definition of an agent/ broker wholesaling was illegal.

    In any case Charlie is right. You SHOULD get a license and help the customers sell their home to a much larger market AND you will also be better equipped to help them because you will have a better education than the average wholesaler.

    I used to work for a wholesaler, i thought a pretty reputable company, till I saw how slimy even those are. I couldn’t work there anymore.

    Don’t be a wholesaler. Do find a way to sell houses/invest within the law and with integrity.

     Could you elaborate on our first sentence? What would be illegal about being a wholesaler in Indiana? Or are you saying it would be illegal nationally to be a wholesaler?

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2019 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    What would be illegal about being a wholesaler in Indiana?

    Few reasons:

    1) Marketing real estate in expectation of a fee without a RE license

    2) Marketing effectively a net listing

    3) Blind assignments and lacking disclosure on who the true buyer is and what they're paying

  • Member since 2020 · 92 posts · 39 votes
    5y

    Steve,

    You told Marion that it's illegal to wholesale in Indiana. That's an incorrect statement. There's nothing illegal about it as long as you follow the correct guidelines.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.