Locking up a property with an out of state owner

Locking up a property with an out of state owner

Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 101 posts · 44 votes

Many say one of the best, common list is Absentee/OOS owner, right? 

I currently have a lead on a property with an owner who is out of state and I have no way of getting into the property. I won't even attempt to lock it up at a higher price sight unseen, which lead me to wonder what wholesalers/investors do in this situation with an out of state owner.

All advice and personal stories welcome!

0Reply
45 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Austin TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @John Mucilli Firstly I wouldnt say absentee owner lists are the best lists. If they arent properly filtered you are just going to get a bunch of pissed off landlords or longtime investors that want retail prices for property that hasnt been well maintained. Second, if the seller wants to sell they house they will tell you how to get inside. They can make a key, they can authorize you to get a locksmith, is the back door open—they can give your their permission to enter. There is always a way. If seller isnt willing to provide access but is wanting an offer site unseen then they arent serious about selling. If you were trying to sell your car and someone inquired about it and wanted to come take a look at it are you going to say no? Not if you want to get it sold. Houses are no different. Especially if its vacant.

  • Investor · Yonkers, NY · Member since 2019 · 101 posts · 44 votes
    5y

    @Lydia R. Great info Lydia! All points make a ton of sense. With the absentee list I am sure to get all you've described, as I have, but I think we are just trying to play a numbers game, right? How do you like to filter down such lists?

    I have a potential lead with an OOS owner, but it's definitely more so me pushing than him WANTING to sell, so your advice there says enough. I may have to wait for this owner to come back up to the house in the future, or follow up with him until he decides he wants to sell from a distance and provide access.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.