Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 22 votes
Hey BP community,
To all the investors out there..
I'm sure many of you have gotten that call from a wholesaler asking if they would like to be added to the list.. how do you respond? Do you appreciate the call or are you irritated? How about when they would like to set a meeting or ask you to sign a non-disclosure or POF.. what's your response and feelings about that?
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
4y
I usually just tell them I was about to call them to wholesale a property to them :D
Joking aside, I don't answer my phone any more unless I know the caller or they leave a message. I rarely bother calling any wholesalers back because a) I'm not looking that much these days, and b) it's been mostly a waste of my time since they rarely have an actual deal.
Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
4y
I appreciate any call I can get where there's an opportunity to make money. I always ask if they have a deal they're looking to sell currently, and if not then I ask to get put on their list. I'll comp their first few deals and give my feedback and my number (Or if I can buy it then I'll just put it under contract) and see how the relationship develops from there. If you get irritated about receiving a call you're probably in the wrong business. Signing a non-disclosure or providing a proof of funds is not an issue
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
I don’t answer my phone anymore. Too many auto warranty calls and other annoying spam. But if I did I would have no issue with a wholesaler trying to sell a deal and getting put on their buyer list.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
4y
@Joshua Viksman All the calls I get are from virtual assistants reading off a script. You can't have a real discussion with a telemarketer. Very few even call. Most send bulk texts. As an experiment, I have started responding "yes, I am interested in selling my house, call me". Nobody even responds. It is actually really strange. I have even responded and had another bulk message come back on the same number later. I have tried calling those bulk text numbers and they are not even good numbers. These wholesalers are not only wasting money but loosing opportunities.
The other day I got 12 post cards in the mail asking if I wanted to sell my property at various addresses. If you are going to buy a list, scrub it for duplicate mailing addresses or at least spread out the post cards. Sending 12 post cards just tells the seller you are inexperienced and not credible.
One final tip. If you put your phone number on a sign or a post card, answer every call. Don't outsource it to a virtual assistant or let it go to voice mail. When someone is ready to sell, they will find a wholesaler who picks up the phone.
On the rare occasion I do talk to a wholesaler, I just ask to be added to their buyers list. I have only been added a couple times.
My advice is stop worrying about irritating people. Prove that you are better than the other 99% and you will get plenty of deals.
As a buyer, If you asked me to sign a non-disclosure or show proof of funds, I guess that would be fine IF there was an actual deal in play. If you are asking for that to add me to your buyers list, it seems kind of excessive.
Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 22 votes
4y
@Joe Splitrock Awesome reply and feedback, I appreciate it! The issues you mention with VA's and salespeople who don't call back is something I have seen in every niche of real estate that I have been part of. As a property manager, realtor and investor, I see this all the time and it's still hard to fathom why even spend the money or time- to drive halfway to your destination and then just turn around a go home.
Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
4y
I usually just tell them I was about to call them to wholesale a property to them :D
Joking aside, I don't answer my phone any more unless I know the caller or they leave a message. I rarely bother calling any wholesalers back because a) I'm not looking that much these days, and b) it's been mostly a waste of my time since they rarely have an actual deal.
@Joe Splitrock Awesome reply and feedback, I appreciate it! The issues you mention with VA's and salespeople who don't call back is something I have seen in every niche of real estate that I have been part of. As a property manager, realtor and investor, I see this all the time and it's still hard to fathom why even spend the money or time- to drive halfway to your destination and then just turn around a go home.
Exactly Joe.. Even if I say sure I will sell send me a contract.. I have in all the years only had 2 send me contracts.. the rest I simply never heard from again.. or the contract was beyond rediculous IE 10 dollars EM that kind of thing.
Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
I get extremely irritated.
Mostly because of their approach.
That STOOPID crap line with
"hey I am an investor and often I come across a property that doesn't really work for us" BULLcrap. NO you friggin dope you do NOT buy houses. You have no friggin idea how to be transparent, honest and straigght to the point...
BUT.. MOSTLY I get furious because NOfrigginONE gave them permission to call me, It is annoying. Also most of the time they try to sell me contracts anywhere in the USA BUT Connecticut. Those damn morons don't give a crap. They add ANYONE and everyone on their list and instead of doing effort to AT LEAST not annoy the people on their list toooo much, by doing their homework and at least see what markets they are in they massfriggingaaadamnemail the ENTIRE gaaadamn list to EVERYONE regardless whether they are even in the market that damn house is located.
I wish someone would invent "nailsthroughthephone" technology where the phone shoots red hot nails through their head every time they reached someone not interested in their BS!
I like to say things to throw them off their script, like "wow you have a really nice voice". When the catch there composure and get back on script, I might say "have you ever thought of being on radio?"
I like to say things to throw them off their script, like "wow you have a really nice voice". When the catch there composure and get back on script, I might say "have you ever though of being on radio?"
Bro. I need to start a youtube series on this where I have fun with them and take them for a ride!!
I like to say things to throw them off their script, like "wow you have a really nice voice". When the catch there composure and get back on script, I might say "have you ever though of being on radio?"
I like to say things to throw them off their script, like "wow you have a really nice voice". When the catch there composure and get back on script, I might say "have you ever though of being on radio?"
LOL. I'm going to steal that Ned!
The best telemarketer response ever is in the movie Boiler Room. If you have not seen the movie, the main character sells stocks over the phone. They target wealthy people who are financially naïve like doctors and dentists. The main character is at home eating breakfast and gets a telemarketer call from a guy trying to sell newspapers. He coaches him on how to do it right.
Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
4y
@Joshua Viksman I usually answer the calls and let them talk for as long as possible, hoping to just waste their time while I continue doing whatever I was doing. The best was today when I asked what property of mine he wanted to buy, and he responded with "the one at PO Box."