Insurance policy cancelled due to exterior paint

Insurance policy cancelled due to exterior paint

Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 12 votes

I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

Thank you in advance for the advice.

2Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2y

I had this happen to me a while back with a house our here in Arizona, but it was the roof that they required to be replaced. It's a bummer but what I realized at the time was "they're right" so I went ahead and replaced the roof.

It's your opinion that November wouldn't be a good time to repaint a house in Ohio. I'd talk to a painting contractor and have them confirm that. They will either tell you you're wrong, or maybe they will provide you a contract/letter stating that they will repaint for you when the weather improves. I would think the insurance company would make an exception to that Dec 21 date if they had something like this from an actual painter.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     typically when completing an insurance form they ask for prior policy and if it was cancelled.

    If the property is occupied I would make sure I have insurance coverage on it. What does the exterior look like? How big is the property? I would consider putting vinyl siding on the exterior so I then do not have to worry about painting it every several years. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 12 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     typically when completing an insurance form they ask for prior policy and if it was cancelled.

    If the property is occupied I would make sure I have insurance coverage on it. What does the exterior look like? How big is the property? I would consider putting vinyl siding on the exterior so I then do not have to worry about painting it every several years. 


    Yes, I need insurance for many reasons. 

    I would consider putting vinyl siding on it in the future, but the problem is getting it insured for now. The exterior doesn't look terrible- just a few spots that are in need of repair. So I guess what I'm looking for is an insurance company that would insure it as it is while I work on getting it repaired. I would rather wait until warmer weather to repaint it, and it's a large house, so not sure that replacing it with vinyl siding will happen immediately.  

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     typically when completing an insurance form they ask for prior policy and if it was cancelled.

    If the property is occupied I would make sure I have insurance coverage on it. What does the exterior look like? How big is the property? I would consider putting vinyl siding on the exterior so I then do not have to worry about painting it every several years. 


    Yes, I need insurance for many reasons. 

    I would consider putting vinyl siding on it in the future, but the problem is getting it insured for now. The exterior doesn't look terrible- just a few spots that are in need of repair. So I guess what I'm looking for is an insurance company that would insure it as it is while I work on getting it repaired. I would rather wait until warmer weather to repaint it, and it's a large house, so not sure that replacing it with vinyl siding will happen immediately.  


     another option is just paint it where its damaged, take photos and buy yourself some time and do the real repairs in the spring.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    2y

    I had a similar thing happen (also in Ohio) and I wonder if we had the same insurance company...I received a notice that they wouldn't be renewing. I didn't lose my coverage, but I took the opportunity to shop around and switched to another company. They also did an inspection, but I didn't hear anything afterwards, so assumed all was well. This was a few months ago. Was your policy cancelled effective immediately, or was it a notice of non-renewal?

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Contractor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    I had this happen to me a while back with a house our here in Arizona, but it was the roof that they required to be replaced. It's a bummer but what I realized at the time was "they're right" so I went ahead and replaced the roof.

    It's your opinion that November wouldn't be a good time to repaint a house in Ohio. I'd talk to a painting contractor and have them confirm that. They will either tell you you're wrong, or maybe they will provide you a contract/letter stating that they will repaint for you when the weather improves. I would think the insurance company would make an exception to that Dec 21 date if they had something like this from an actual painter.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 543 posts · 474 votes
    2y

    @Emily Fraser There are paints that can be applied at 40 degrees. Why not touch up the areas that need it, even if it looks a little off, and then do a full repaint in the spring? I did something like that a few years ago and had no issues with the paint. Good luck!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


    Hi Emily,

    Call a Sherwin Williams COMMERCIAL paint store and ask if they have cold weather paint and if they can recommend a painter to help you out.

    Maybe something like this would work

    https://www.sherwin-williams.com/painting-contractors/business-builders/paint-technology-and-application/sw-art-late-season-painting

    Good Luck!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    2y

    Just get a new policy

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:
    Quote from @Chris Seveney:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     typically when completing an insurance form they ask for prior policy and if it was cancelled.

    If the property is occupied I would make sure I have insurance coverage on it. What does the exterior look like? How big is the property? I would consider putting vinyl siding on the exterior so I then do not have to worry about painting it every several years. 


    Yes, I need insurance for many reasons. 

    I would consider putting vinyl siding on it in the future, but the problem is getting it insured for now. The exterior doesn't look terrible- just a few spots that are in need of repair. So I guess what I'm looking for is an insurance company that would insure it as it is while I work on getting it repaired. I would rather wait until warmer weather to repaint it, and it's a large house, so not sure that replacing it with vinyl siding will happen immediately.  


     another option is just paint it where its damaged, take photos and buy yourself some time and do the real repairs in the spring.


     This is exactly what I would do. Also keep in mind that a lot of companies never follow up on these things. I'm not saying you should just ignore them, but I have personally had at least 3 instances where I was given a deadline for repairs on a new purchase by the insurance company, and they never cancelled, asked for photos or reinspected. So I wouldn't run out and reside the house with vinyl siding or spend all week shopping new companies just yet. Get some cold weather paint, spot repair the worst spots, take some pictures and send them in. That should get the cancellation notice rescinded. If not, then get a new policy before this one's cancellation goes into effect and cancel your policy with them voluntarily. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


    The actual reason why they do cancellation is because they lost money, they have layoffs in their company and insurance company is not profitable these days. Many of these company is trying to clean their books.

    While it's okay to fix issue, just change insurer.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     Do yourself a huge favor, find a good insurance broker. It's a game changer. 

  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 676 posts · 259 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     Do yourself a huge favor, find a good insurance broker. It's a game changer. 


     Two thumbs up to that.  This is something that a good, caring, agent should be advising and helping you with.

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber · CA · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Owen Rosen:
    Quote from @Alan F.:
    Quote from @Emily Fraser:

    I am a newbie and just made my first purchase of a triplex two months ago. I was surprised to receive a cancellation notice of my insurance policy after they inspected the exterior of the property. They said that 15% of the exterior paint is not up to standard. I would like to repair the problem and retain the policy, but November does not seem like an ideal time to repaint a house in Ohio. Unfortunately, they only gave me until Dec 21 to show that the necessary repairs have been done. This doesn't seem likely. 

    Would you suggest repairing the problem if possible, or trying to get new coverage? When I reach out to new insurance companies, do I disclose that the previous policy was canceled? What if no one will insure it? I feel a bit frustrated and stressed that the company said they would insure me before I purchased and then canceled the policy right after I closed. 

    Thank you in advance for the advice.


     Do yourself a huge favor, find a good insurance broker. It's a game changer. 


     Two thumbs up to that.  This is something that a good, caring, agent should be advising and helping you with.


     Absolutely, my brokers allegiance is to me, carriers allegiance is to carrier  (and keeping their job lol)

  • Owen RosenBusiness Member
    Professional · Clinton Township, MI · Member since 2015 · 676 posts · 259 votes
    2y

    As a broker...yep!

    Royal Oath Insurance Group4.9203 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.