Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Also, stay far away from LPs. You can lose your shirt... Just look at how many LPs are pausing distributions now. Connect with a local real estate agent and run the numbers. Factor 8%-10% for a reliable property manager (use AllPropertyManagement.com).
After that, you're golden.
@Spencer Ware what type of real estate are you most interested in? I have experience in single family fix and flip, 1-4 family rentals, small apartments (10-30 unit), 100+ unit apartments, development, commercial retail, industrial and office. I've done a ton active and some passive. I'd be happy to give you advice or refer you to someone.
They all have their pros and cons.
If you want to play a passive role, a real estate syndication or debt fund could be a great way to go. Make sure that you can find a sponsor that you trust. My company offers real estate syndications. I also have a lot of connections that offer debt funds. Investing in NNN lease (Walgreens, Dollar General, etc are your tenants) is also fairly passive, but you maintain a bit more control.
Absolutely interested. Would like to become more savvy in the multi units properties realm separate from some of my commercial properties tenants who have excelled in that type real estate.
Are you tapped into your local REI groups?
Have one of my own. Working with Batboys LLC . Acquired 3 lots on mulberry st near west end of Cincinnati about 3 years ago still sitting on it. Have not had much time really to put something on them yet.
Respect!
I'm not familiar with Cincy but it sounds like you have a good foundation in place. I'm sure you'll find strong connections on/through this forum.
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Hi Spencer! If you're open to checking out other Ohio markets, I personally recommend Columbus OH. The city has great macroeconomics - population growth, job growth, and lots of companies choosing to move and develop here like Intel, Amazon, Meta, etc. We still see positive cash flowing deals here with appreciation potential at really affordable price points. Happy to send over some resources regarding the Columbus Ohio market and why it's a great market to invest into!
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Also, stay far away from LPs. You can lose your shirt... Just look at how many LPs are pausing distributions now. Connect with a local real estate agent and run the numbers. Factor 8%-10% for a reliable property manager (use AllPropertyManagement.com).
After that, you're golden.
Sorry, NFL Player. You should not do what you say you want.
What you have is money. That's all you bring to the game. Everyone has money. They don't even know what to do with it. Your dentist has $4,000,000 in his 401k plan. The guy that turns on and off the lights in the P&G lobby has a couple million in stock. The world values your money at 3 or 4% with no risk. 8 or 10% with moderate risk. And, if a higher return is offered with moderate risk, don't believe it. They wouldn't be coming to you.
So you can get a gold standard investment advisor and give up .5 to 2% of your return, or you can send the money to one or more huge index funds like Vanguard 500 index fund and sleep well at night.
But if you think you have something of value other than the generic value of money, you will be sorely disappointed. Now if you have name regocnition and want to be a front man that is a different story. . . .
This is terrible advice/response.
@Spencer Ware what type of real estate are you most interested in? I have experience in single family fix and flip, 1-4 family rentals, small apartments (10-30 unit), 100+ unit apartments, development, commercial retail, industrial and office. I've done a ton active and some passive. I'd be happy to give you advice or refer you to someone.
They all have their pros and cons.
If you want to play a passive role, a real estate syndication or debt fund could be a great way to go. Make sure that you can find a sponsor that you trust. My company offers real estate syndications. I also have a lot of connections that offer debt funds. Investing in NNN lease (Walgreens, Dollar General, etc are your tenants) is also fairly passive, but you maintain a bit more control.
Absolutely interested. Would like to become more savvy in the multi units properties realm separate from some of my commercial properties tenants who have excelled in that type real estate.
Send me a DM
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Congrats on the transition to 'retirement'! Scaling well can make things more interesting, but putting good people around you would definitely help.
My question would be, as you scale, what kind of debt-load are you comfortable with? If you want to solely use your own funds you could do that, or are you wanting to maximize your balance between using your own capital and the money from capital sources?
Good luck!
Thanks Spencer. It used to be my job to protect our celebrity clients from so called investment specialists who promised more than the investment was worth and delivered less or nothing at all. If you bring something to the table be sure you know what it is and how much it is worth. And, if they offer a lot more, they probably are going to disappoint you. You said "hands off" and that tells me you bring your name to the deal. Its even more important that it is a great deal if you are going to be a drawing card for others to put in their money. Again, the money is only worth 6-8% without significant risk. Maybe 10% with a little risk. But if a syndicator is taking your money and promising more than that watch out.
@Spencer Ware - have you considered syndication? This may suit your investment goals if you're looking to be more passive. The biggest thing is vetting the operator as they ultimately drive the returns. There are a lot of poor operators out there but there's also a lot of good ones. I would be hesitant to jump in the first deal you find.
In Cincy, I'd recommend John Casmon as a great resource. Incredibly genuine person and is a multi-family syndicator.
Spencer,
Welcome to the group! I am a realtor, investor and own a construction company located in College Station, Texas (home of Texas A&M.)
I specialize In helping investors like yourself locate, and secure investment properties and provide a hands off experience along the way. I also work with atheletes to find housing since I am a retired athlete myself.
I sent you a PM to connect, and see how I can help you achieve your goals. Looking forward to chatting
Spencer,
Welcome to the group! I am a realtor, investor and own a construction company located in College Station, Texas (home of Texas A&M.)
I specialize In helping investors like yourself locate, and secure investment properties and provide a hands off experience along the way. I also work with atheletes to find housing since I am a retired athlete myself.
I sent you a PM to connect, and see how I can help you achieve your goals. Looking forward to chatting
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Pointing out the BS that people try to peddle. Your "books" are equivalent to the image below.

Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Pointing out the BS that people try to peddle. Your "books" are equivalent to the image below.

Really? I've read at least half of the books published and I don't think that's true at all. I'm curious which of the books you've read and why you didn't like them?
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Pointing out the BS that people try to peddle. Your "books" are equivalent to the image below.

Really? I've read at least half of the books published and I don't think that's true at all. I'm curious which of the books you've read and why you didn't like them?
Good for you. Please, share some tips and cite the pages and books on what was so enlightening that one cannot find for free in the forums here or on Youtube.
Hey @Spencer Ware! I know exactly where you're coming from. I spent time in the league and have since built my real estate portfolio and started a real estate agency and property management company servicing Indianapolis and its surrounding areas. I would love to connect with you.
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Pointing out the BS that people try to peddle. Your "books" are equivalent to the image below.

Really? I've read at least half of the books published and I don't think that's true at all. I'm curious which of the books you've read and why you didn't like them?
Good for you. Please, share some tips and cite the pages and books on what was so enlightening that one cannot find for free in the forums here or on Youtube.
"share some tips" is a very vague and unanswerable question. If you think that the forums and the books have the same information and the same quality, do you read books at all? Or do you get all of the information in your life from Reddit? Or do you not read anything on Reddit because Youtube has all of that same information? Different mediums have different purposes, that's the premise of media
Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
C'mon bro. The dude asking for advice is a 33 year old retired NFL player and she recommended he check out a $5 or $10 book written by another 33 year old retired NFL player. Seems like a pretty fair recommendation to me.

Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
C'mon bro. The dude asking for advice is a 33 year old retired NFL player and she recommended he check out a $5 or $10 book written by another 33 year old retired NFL player. Seems like a pretty fair recommendation to me.

Looking to start expanding portfolio. Would like to be more hands off as well. Seeking connections, advice, deals. Thanks
Have you connected with Devon Kennard at all? He just published a book on this with BiggerPockets and does a LOT in the space of trying to educate athletes on how to invest. Have met him personally a couple times and he is just a great guy all around.
His book: https://store.biggerpockets.com/products/real-estate-side-hu...
If you don’t believe in BiggerPockets message or mission then what are you doing here on the forums exactly??
Pointing out the BS that people try to peddle. Your "books" are equivalent to the image below.

Really? I've read at least half of the books published and I don't think that's true at all. I'm curious which of the books you've read and why you didn't like them?
Good for you. Please, share some tips and cite the pages and books on what was so enlightening that one cannot find for free in the forums here or on Youtube.
"share some tips" is a very vague and unanswerable question. If you think that the forums and the books have the same information and the same quality, do you read books at all? Or do you get all of the information in your life from Reddit? Or do you not read anything on Reddit because Youtube has all of that same information? Different mediums have different purposes, that's the premise of media
Feel free to reach out and we can chat about private lending.
@Spencer Ware do you still own the mulberry properties in the west end? Curious what your plans are. My contact info is easy to find–– reach out!
Would love to connect! I own multiple doors in Ohio, so I have experience managing rental properties and flips. Let's hop on a call and talk!