Investing In Indy, Pros & Cons!

Most Popular Reply

Kristen L GarnerBusiness Member
Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 451 posts · 287 votes
1y

Hi there! I invest in Indianapolis from out of state...and as someone originally from the area, it’s been both familiar and eye-opening. When I first started, my biggest challenge was selecting the right property. I learned quickly that a low purchase price and high projected cash flow can be misleading, especially if the property is in poor condition or in the wrong neighborhood. Over time, I refined my buying criteria to focus on long-term value, not just short-term numbers.

I now work with many other out-of-state investors in Indiana, and the ones who thrive usually have strong boots on the ground—whether that’s a mentor, property manager, agent, etc. That insight makes all the difference in choosing the right deals.

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    I am also looking for answers in the Indiana market. Also trying to do out of stare investing.

  • Gloria N GearBusiness Member
    Realtor · Indianapolis IN · Member since 2018 · 464 posts · 339 votes
    1y

    I am not out of state -- I live here in Indy.  But I work with out of state investors and happy to send you some contacts of people that have done it successfully if you PM me.  Even living here, I would say that the biggest challenge is reliable contractors.  I have some, but it seems that as soon as you get a good one, they get super busy and backed up.  I would say the second challenge is getting truthful information about areas from some local people -- I think you need a whole team of people from different aspects (realtor, property manager, lender, inspector, appraiser, contractor, outside consultant).  Have different opinions telling you a property is good before you purchase.

  • Kristen L GarnerBusiness Member
    Lender · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2021 · 451 posts · 287 votes
    1y

    Hi there! I invest in Indianapolis from out of state...and as someone originally from the area, it’s been both familiar and eye-opening. When I first started, my biggest challenge was selecting the right property. I learned quickly that a low purchase price and high projected cash flow can be misleading, especially if the property is in poor condition or in the wrong neighborhood. Over time, I refined my buying criteria to focus on long-term value, not just short-term numbers.

    I now work with many other out-of-state investors in Indiana, and the ones who thrive usually have strong boots on the ground—whether that’s a mentor, property manager, agent, etc. That insight makes all the difference in choosing the right deals.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    Going to take an educated guess and say, finding reliable people to add to your team.

    It's the same problem anywhere!

    Logical Property Management4.9446 Reviews
  • Ryan RomingerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 340 posts · 144 votes
    1y

    Yeah, quite a few out-of-state investors are active in Indy—it’s been a hot spot for a while now. Biggest challenge I see folks run into is finding a solid local team they can really trust, especially when it comes to contractors and property management. Communication and accountability can make or break the experience.

    Intrigue Real Estate & Property Management4.6285 Reviews
  • Nick GiulioniPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
    1y

    Ryan hit the nail on the head. I've done remote and local - and the team is everything.  PM and Contractor are the hardest ones (IMO). It's the reason we had to start our own contracting business... :/

    • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 9 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Nick Giulioni:

      Ryan hit the nail on the head. I've done remote and local - and the team is everything.  PM and Contractor are the hardest ones (IMO). It's the reason we had to start our own contracting business... :/


       Have you secure a good PM here in Indy?

    • Nick GiulioniPro Member
      Rental Property Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 615 votes
      1y
      Quote from @David Treat:
      Quote from @Nick Giulioni:

      Ryan hit the nail on the head. I've done remote and local - and the team is everything.  PM and Contractor are the hardest ones (IMO). It's the reason we had to start our own contracting business... :/


       Have you secure a good PM here in Indy?

       Hey - yes I have! There are a couple of really good ones here locally - and @Ryan Rominger with Intrigue is one of them!

  • Specialist · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2011 · 875 posts · 394 votes
    1y

    I currently own 2 rentals in the Indianapolis area and it's been good so far. Rents seemed to have finally caught up and cash flow is good. Fort Wayne is also another place that I am looking into.

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2024 · 16 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Thats is awesome to here Aristotle! I would like to connect and learn more about your rentals in Indianapolis and what pros ad cons have been working for you. 

    Lets connect! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.