Good Neighborhoods in Columbus for 4+ unit MF

Good Neighborhoods in Columbus for 4+ unit MF

Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 18 votes

Hi all!

OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

8Reply
273 views

Most Popular Reply

Patrick DruryBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6mo

@Chris Mooney
I would recommend checking out areas like Hilltop, Linden, Eastmoor/ Whitehall, and Franklinton. These are areas where you can cash flow in Columbus because the rent-to-price ratio is favorable. Out of these areas, Franklinton and Linden are seeing some of the most development. With things like the ONE Linden plan in Linden, which is a 50M plan to improve the neighborhood. Of that 50M, 25M was allocated for the construction of a new recreational facility that has since been completed. Franklinton has been seeing lots of developments like the completion of Gravity Phase 1 and phases 2 and 3 on the way. As well as coffee shops like Bottoms Up Coffee are moving in and small microbreweries like Brew Dog and Land Grant. 


See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    @Chris Mooney
    I would recommend checking out areas like Hilltop, Linden, Eastmoor/ Whitehall, and Franklinton. These are areas where you can cash flow in Columbus because the rent-to-price ratio is favorable. Out of these areas, Franklinton and Linden are seeing some of the most development. With things like the ONE Linden plan in Linden, which is a 50M plan to improve the neighborhood. Of that 50M, 25M was allocated for the construction of a new recreational facility that has since been completed. Franklinton has been seeing lots of developments like the completion of Gravity Phase 1 and phases 2 and 3 on the way. As well as coffee shops like Bottoms Up Coffee are moving in and small microbreweries like Brew Dog and Land Grant. 


  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Hi all!

    OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

    Hi Chris, I have a neighbourhood grade map in Columbus which can help you to understand the market better. I own 50+ units in Columbus. Happy to help!

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
    • Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 18 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Marc Rice:
      Quote from @Chris Mooney:

      Hi all!

      OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

      Hi Chris, I have a neighbourhood grade map in Columbus which can help you to understand the market better. I own 50+ units in Columbus. Happy to help!


       neighborhood map would be really helpful!

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Hi all!

    OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

    Hi Chris, and welcome to BiggerPockets! If you’re looking at Columbus for 4–12 unit MFH, you’re thinking along the right lines because the market has strong job and population growth right now, and you can still find value compared to a lot of other metros. A few areas people look at for A‑ to C+ class multifamily are Franklinton and South Linden and North Linden like you mentioned — those areas have decent rent upside and younger growing demand, so they can work well if you do your due diligence on occupancies and comps. Some folks also look in parts of South Columbus near the univ and some of the closer‑in suburbs that are still affordable but steady. Another thing to keep in mind is having a local property manager and doing boots‑on‑the‑ground due diligence because some blocks can vary a lot even inside the same neighborhood. The fundamentals in Columbus are pretty good with job growth from big employers and people moving here, which helps both rents and long‑term appreciation. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Kerlous TadresBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Hi all!

    OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

    Hey Chris, 
    I would definitely recommend looking into Franklington, North Linden, Southern Orchards, Hungarian Village, and other areas. You can definitely find solid rentals and make sure you build a solid team while you're at it
    Kerlous Tadres | Reafco Real Estate540 Reviews
  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Hi all!

    OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.


    Since you already own in Cleveland, you’ll probably notice Columbus is a different play, more appreciation-focused, with tighter cash flow. For 4–12 unit properties, a lot of investors keep an eye on pockets of Franklinton, parts of Linden, and areas on the south and west sides where there’s still room for value-add, but demand stays strong. I’m a local investor in the area, and many out-of-state buyers like it because the population growth and job base help support long-term appreciation. The key right now is finding smaller multifamily where there’s still some rent upside or operational improvements.
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Chris Mooney:

    Hi all!

    OOS investor here. I have a portfolio in Cleveland, but want to expand to Columbus for the appreciation potential that is not as strong in CLE. What are some neighborhoods to consider in the A- to C+ range for 4-12 unit MFH? I've seen parts of Franklinton, have heard north and South Linden are worth a look, and some random suburbs. But curious to hear from some local investors on best places to consider.

     I am local to columbus @Chris Mooney. I've got 28 rental units here and sold over 225+ properties to out of state investors. 

    For 4-12 units, if you want to hit 8-11 cap at purchase, you are looking at areas like Franklinton, North Hilltop, parts of linden, Eastmoor, Whitehall, south side of Columbus. Depends on your appetite for 1-bed units vs 2-bed units as well, the cost will vary. 

    I sold a 15-unit in westgate for $985k with $40k seller credit very recently. We negotiated the price down from 1.1M. Working on a 40+ unit deal right now for another investor. 

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    Hey Chris, 

    For cash-flow, I would into areas up north like Linden and areas on the west side of Columbus, like Franklinton and Hilltop.

    Linden is seeing a large amount of investment activity within residential 1-4 unit properties and newly developed facilities, which were ignited by the ONE Linden Plan. With new construction and renovations going on, on almost every block.

    In Franklinton there are plenty of large projects going on that will bring massive growth to the west side of Columbus, such as the Peninsula Development, which is a multiphase project that will erect a 24 story apartment complex featuring a grocery store, a multi use office space building, and a new hotel featuring a two-story venue.

    I'd be happy to share a list of useful contacts who you could potentially add to your boots on the ground team here in Columbus. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.