In today’s show we talk with Brian Burke, a house flipper and real estate investor from Northern California with a fantastic story and fascinating business model.
Two days ago, Brian wrote a wildly popular article on the BiggerPockets Blog titled, “Anatomy of the Grand Slam: How I Made $800,000 on One Flip” where he talked about flipping a large apartment complex using a combination of hard money and private capital he raised. In today’s Podcast, we’re going to look more in-depth at how Brian got started, the strategies he uses to flip over 100 houses per year, and how you can use the same techniques that he does to raise money for your next real estate deal.
Last week, the BiggerPockets Podcast reached #6 on the Top Business Podcasts in all of iTunes. This is an enormous honor and we want to just take a minute to thank everyone who has taken time to listen on iTunes or leave a review. As of today, we are up to 49 Five Star Reviews. If you haven’t yet left us a review and want to help us out, please click here to leave a review in your iTunes player.
Listen to the Podcast Here:
In This Week’s Podcast We’ll Explore:
- How Brian started with no money, no experience, and without rich friends
- How losing money on early deals helped grow Brian’s business
- Investing in real estate when you look 15 years old.
- Why dealing with sellers is Brian’s least favorite strategy for real estate investing
- Brian, Brandon, and Josh’s differing opinions on using credit cards to finance real estate
- Why raising private capital is one of the most important jobs for an investor
- Three tips for raising private capital
- Why Richard Branson gets in a hot air balloon and sails around the world.
- How Brian funds dozens of real estate flips per month
- Using property managers to get you inside information
- The one piece of advice new investors can’t survive without.
- Using partners to invest in real estate
Links from the Show
- Reg D Offering
- I.R.R. (Internal Rate of Return)
- The Anatomy of the Grand Slam Flip
- The BiggerPockets Radio Podcast 001 – Building a Successful House Flipping Business and Losing Millions with Marty Boardman
- BiggerPockets Facebook Page
“If you don’t screw up – you don’t learn.”
“They won’t say yes if you don’t ask.”
“Sometimes failure is your biggest boost.”
“Whether it’s Harvard, Yale, or on the streets of real estate school – every lesson costs you money.”
“Sell yourself… the more track records your build, the easier you can raise capital.”
“If you want to change your situation, change your vocabulary.”
“A lot of this business is sounding like you’re smart – but you’ve gotta back it up.”
“If you don’t love your work – you’ll never make it to the next level.”
Books Mentioned in the Podcast
- Rich Dad Poor Dad
- Real Leaders Don’t Do PowerPoint
- David Lindahl Books
- Art of the Deal – Donald Trump
- Art of the Comeback - Donald Trump
- Think and Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
Brian Burke is co-founder and Managing Director of Praxis Capital, LLC, a real estate private equity investment firm created to provide high rates of return to his investors while tactically managing risk. He has been a real estate entrepreneur since 1989, and has purchased over 500 properties valued at over $150 million, primarily from foreclosure.