BiggerPockets Real Estate Podcast

BiggerPockets Podcast 020: 20 Deadly Mistakes For Real Estate Investors to Avoid

Expertise:

While it’s unlikely that you are going to make a mistake in real estate that will kill you – there is a much higher chance that you’ll make a mistake that’s going to kill your chance of finding success. To help you fight the good fight and avoid those mistakes – you’ll definitely want to listen to today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast with Josh and Brandon. You might be a seasoned investor or you might be just starting out – but the 20 mistakes listed in this podcast are real, common, and deadly if not properly addressed, so be sure to listen to today’s show.

Read the transcript for Show 20 with Josh & Brandon here

Listen to The Show on iTunes (Preferred Method!)

Click here to listen on iTunes.

Listen to the Podcast Here

In This Show, We Cover:

• BiggerPockets Podcast _ Real Estate Investing and Wealth Building 9.42.11 AMThe best ways to get free education
  • How to overcome analysis paralysis
  • Exit strategies you should be using as a backup
  • How to establish your marketing machine
  • How to best protect yourself from being sued
  • The best ways to find great contractors
  • The worst way to screen for tenants
  • Plus MUCH more…

Links from the Show:

Books Mentioned in the Show

Tweetable Topics

You’re never going to know everything. (Tweet This!)

The math never lies. Stick with the math and don’t fudge the numbers. (Tweet This!)

You wouldn’t drive from Canada to Peru without a map. You need a plan – just knowing it’s south isn’t good enough. (Tweet This!)

Don’t talk so much. Just listen. (Tweet This!)

Comments, Questions, Concerns?

Can you think of any other mistakes we forgot to mention? Want to ask a question or add something? Want to comment on Josh’s sense of humor? Leave your feedback below!

Real strategies that work for real people seeking to build wealth through real estate investments. Co-hosted by Brandon Turner and David Greene, this podcast provides actionable advice from investors and other real estate professionals, who chat about failures, successes, motivations, and lessons learned.

Joe Liuzzi
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Just like buying stocks, one large mistake can take you out of the game for years. Sounds like a great investment of our time to listen in.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Definitely Joe! Thanks for the comment!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Absolutely. Have a listen and good luck to you!
    john milliken
    Replied about 6 years ago
    you guys getting silly on this one, i like it. the whole give a mouse a cookie applies to everybody/business, not just renters. gotta buy the book now,lol. haven’t read it since i was a child. you guys gave me a different prospective on the lesson in the book now that I’m an adult.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks John! We love doing the show . . . it is a ton of fun for us. And I love those books — as do my kids. Brandon definitely spun it around for me too.
    Shaundra
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Very good information. Still in the learning stages and I can’t say it enough that discovering Bigger Pockets was the best thing that could have ever happened. What really hit home for me was mistake #2: Waiting too long because you don’t know enough. When you realize that Investing is much more than what the “Gurus” are telling you, you become scared and begin to think that this would be too hard to accomplish, or just the thought of ” I’m not going to be able to do this”. Wow! great tips guys, thanks for sharing.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks so much Shaundra, that means so much!
    Brian
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Brandon excellent podcast here. Loved the advice and the content provided. I learned a lot and I’ve had some experience already…so special thanks to you!
    Brandon Turner
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks Brian! I always learn a lot as well, which is why we keep doing them! 🙂 Thanks for the comment!
    Christopher Reynolds
    Replied about 6 years ago
    As always, a great podcast. Lots of great tips to pick up. My favorite (universal) tip is the “give a mouse a cookie”. That one is a little too true in nearly every aspect of everything!
    Brandon Turner
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks Christopher! I think I should re-write that book, from an investor standpoint. “If You Give a Tenant a Cookie…” 🙂 Might make for a fun blog post! Thanks for the comment!
    Matt Sheridan
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Another informative and entertaining podcast, gents. Thanks!
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Thanks Matt! I’m glad you enjoyed it.
    Brandon Turner
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Hey Matt, thanks for listening (and commenting!)
    Clay Huber
    Replied about 6 years ago
    “Show #20… yeaaaa boyyyyy” My favorite moment of any podcast.
    Joshua Dorkin
    Yep.
    Vernon
    Replied about 6 years ago
    Enjoyed the podcast. They continue to entertain my long ride to work. Thanks again fellas
    Joshua Dorkin
    Replied about 6 years ago
    No problem, Vernon. I’m glad you’re enjoying them.
    Vana G.
    Replied over 5 years ago
    Great podcast, great Ultimate Beginner’s Guide! Thanks for all the info and tips. I’ve also signed up with Google voice. Thanks guys for going over this stuff!
    Warren
    Replied about 5 years ago
    Guys! Thank you both for another great show! Day over day…..I love to hear the information you have to offer. With or without a guest, you provide so much value. I am not sure if I ever did before, but I know for sure I left you a 5-Star rating yesterday. For this show, I am wondering why you did not list the 20 Deadly Mistakes on the show notes. I understand that one of the goals are to have more of us listen to the actual podcast through iTunes, but as your website is friendly and interactive, would be great to have the list here so we can just click on any of the 20 and get to additional information. I have an idea that for sure would help me and possibly several others. What about an instuctional based on research? If you want me to be more elaborate, please let me know who I should speak to and help develop this idea.
    Julie Marquez Investor from Seattle, Washington
    Replied almost 3 years ago
    So much great information! Does this podcast come with the list? For me, podcasts are better for general stories and conversations, lists are great to read.
    Ronald Erwin Rental Property Investor from Haverhill, Iowa
    Replied 8 months ago
    first off I absolutely love the podcast, I listen to It 6-8 hours aday,no joke, as I am educating myself. but there is one thing in this particular podcast that I dont quite agree with. that REI cant be a hobbie, and the bigger statement of biggerpockets “without all the hype ” I think that most people are looking for FI, or a passive income. but I do think motivation goes a really long way. so being hyped up is a good thing. there is one thing about currently me running a current business and my pervious w2 job, that I thought everyone may like to hear. “fun and profitable” it’s okay to have it as a hobbie absolutely take it seriously REI in its self is hard but I doesnt have necessarily have to be work. a lot of people are trying to get out of a “job” I truly believe that the minute you stop being motivated and having fun it turns into a job but there needs to be a balance with both.