Asking for critique, suggestions and advice on 3 potential plans

Asking for critique, suggestions and advice on 3 potential plans

NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes

Hey!

The title was a little too short in characters to allow me to fully describe the post, but in simplest terms i'm trying to ask for advice and critique of my plans - in addition to leaving a record in case I or whoever else would like to read later. Think of it as a snapshot of my learning journey at a single point, as well as a collection of (what I consider to be) interesting or informative links and info. Some information available on some sites seem to contradict others (namely FHA credit minimum requirements), but the trick seems to be a distinction between no credit as opposed to low credit, whereby minimums only count where minimums exist. Halfway through it decided to delete itself without my noticing, so please excuse me if it seems rushed towards the end.

As a quick prologue I am a soon-to-be Aussie migrant planning my move to probably Maine later this year with an 'Excellent'-ranked local credit score of 1024/1200 and a small history of SF REI near our East coast. Though my credit record is spotless and my score is respectable, I will have no US credit history or FICO score whatsoever. Now that the move is becoming a closer reality i'm looking to determine and record the most feasible landing plan. In order to do this I have a handful of questions and would like to invite critique to avoid as many mistakes as possible. Any advice given is welcome, even if not asked for - I'm likely missing many fundamentals without even realizing, and i'm grateful for any contribution either here on in a PM...Please don't be shy!

At the most general; i'm beginning my plan to liquidate everything I own starting early September following confirmation/activation/receipt of the 'visa' (a misnomer for a Green Card), get a US drivers license and bank accounts, and then follow one of these three paths. Hopefully, judgement and advice from this forum will allow me to narrow it down to a single choice so i'm very eager to hear from you all;

1 - A slow start at a small scale (cash)

a) Move in late October, applying for a bank account and small credit cards where feasible to build a credit history. 

b) Buy a simple and turnkey 3BR single-family to househack for ~ 100k in my own cash (Such as [1.i]), while transplanting or recreating my exterior cleaning business (1.ii).

c) As soon as any lender would allow, exit through whatever HELOC/mortgage on the house I could secure in order to buy a new one again in cash, and repeat until a 'normal' lending process is offered.

With only the taxes, insurance, maintenance, capital expenditures, and vacancies to account for at first and with room rentals in the area going for around 500-600/month, this seems to be a soft and forgiving method to land, and will become the backup plan regardless of my chosen path.

PROS:

*Eliminates FICO scores, lender/underwriter scrutiny, and credit history as potential barriers;

*Least risky due to small total investment;

*Least complicated process, and;

*Lowest initial ongoing expenses.

CONS:

*No leverage - Stuck for a prolonged period before continuation;

*No diversification - All eggs in one basket until refinancing;

*Effort, risk, and expense of starting a temporary small business, and;

*Loan ability throttled by self-employment.

*Capital gains and losses dictated by market trends.




1.i - Example of 3BR listing on zillow (https://www.zillow.com/homedet...). Simple, but hardly a deal!

1.ii - There's no concrete reason to self-employ in this path, but as it's the most risk-adverse it seems the most tolerable to act 'risky'. If anyone's interested, my business is (www.goulburnwashers.com)             though the business and site will become defunct post-move for both operational and tax reasons.

2 - A quick start at a small scale (FHA or conventional)

a) Begin approaching every lender I can find in Maine who offers FHA or conventional loans. A fantastic resource has listed relevant local lenders and whether they offer FHA/RD/VA loans (2.i). Under HUD guidelines, a FHA loan cannot be declined on the basis of no credit score (2.ii)(2.iii). FHA loans do not have minimum or maximum income requirements (2.iv).Rather than recreating my exterior cleaning business in Maine, i'd likely look for a full time entry-level job in any industry to find W-2 income to make myself more suitable for future loans, with a view to move to REI as immediately as possible.

b) Having found the best available lender, look to buy a cash-flowing fourplex using the lowest down payment available - I'd imagine i'd be stuck at a relatively high LVR given the lack of US credit history, which isn't great but is certainly better than buying in cash in terms of scalability. It's understandable that a lack of IRS records/current income would present a barrier to obtaining a conventional loan, likely limiting the scale of this path to <5 units. Similarly, unlike substituting international reports for FICO or using 'Non-Traditional Credit Reports' (NTCR) it's highly unlikely that any bank would consider ATO tax records for a conventional loan, given both that it's another country and the job/business has since been left in order to migrate. 

c) If possible after one year, refinance to a more generic loan in order to buy a new FHA fourplex using whatever savings have been gained in the preceding months through cash-flow and W-2 income.

PROS:

*Highest leverage of all paths available;

*Largest safety net of cash-in-bank, and;

*Increased turnaround for new projects.

CONS:

*Employment verification, credit history, and IRS records non-existent - multiple positive judgement calls from lender needed;

*Delays before scaling allows full-time REI;

*Maximum limits to property units and value - 4 units and ~$809,000 for a fourplex (2.v)


2.i - List of some Maine lenders, with whether they offer FHA (https://mainehousing.org/progr...)

2.ii - Information regarding how to get a no-credit-score mortgage (https://www.lendingtree.com/ho...)

2.iii - FHA loan without a credit history (https://www.fha.com/fha_articl...)

2.iv - FHA loan requirements + No income minimums (https://time.com/nextadvisor/m...)

2.v - FHA loan value limits by unit size for Maine (https://www.lendingtree.com/ho...)

3 - A quick start at a moderate scale (DSCR or private) This is my current focus of research as at 25/06/22 and any contributions, suggestions, critiques, or references are worth their weight in gold to me.

a) Find ten wholesalers who are focused on or who happen to find Maine multi-families, with a view of analyzing each <16 unit building that gets mailed to me. (2/10)

b) Find twenty lenders operating nation wide or in Maine who offer Debt Service Coverage Ratio (DSCR) loans or private money. (3/20)

c) Purchase one <16 unit multifamily with whichever available credit type is most appropriate (3.i) - either moving to the address on closing or renting something cheap in-town depending on whether or not the lender allows owner occupation.

d) Move to full-time REI, or part time if cash flow does not support growth.

e) Exit plan would depend on cash flow, regional trends, and the characteristics of the loan and future financial market and cannot yet be assessed properly. Likely exit would be a 1031 exchange after the 3 years seasoning most DSCR loans I've viewed have to avoid prepayment penalties, assuming better deals or terms at that date.

PROS:

*Fastest or immediate transition to full time REI;

*Fastest network of specialists;

*Most tenant diversification, reducing impact of vacancy/lateness, and;

*Smallest competition given characteristics of niche.

CONS:

*Small number of properties fitting criterion may impact ability to find target property at the right time;

*Niche lenders with niche criterion , and;

*Low reserves given relatively low LVR and necessity of property size.

3.i - Foreign National Datasheet for a broker stating that no US credit is equivalent to 680 (FICO, I assume) for DSCR loans (https://wholesale.thelender.co...)

iV - The Silly Section: Partnerships, owner financing, USDA loans, foreclosures, and international investment. (Not active plans, but valuable discussion points all the same)

Partnerships:
I've considered partnerships in order to work with a person with a FICO score/IRS record who could take the loan. It's quite attractive as a prospect but for the sake of those future partners I would love to prove myself locally in these US deals before asking anyone to rely on me as a partner. I imagine someone I've never met from overseas asking me if i'd sign on loans that they want and shudder - I shouldn't then want to make that imposition on others. This is an extremely flexible space in future, and after having demonstrated myself capable upon arrival i'd be ecstatic to find local partners for future projects.

Owner Financing:

Though not exclusively sought as a plan, i'm as open to the sky to the idea and will ask every wholesaler or seller I contact about its' possibility.

USDA Loans:

At first where I live and work will be one and the same. In future i'd love to live somewhere that qualifies for USDA loans - though everywhere but Augusta, ME that satisfies my targets for investment and therefore living in the short-term are ineligible (4.i).

Foreclosures:

I don't know even nearly enough to seek this as a venture. Given the lingering financial impact of COVID and current economic conditions it seems a very worthwhile thing to learn about for later investment and will likely form the bulk of my near-term purchases following these first ones, and may well be my predominate activity throughout 2023.

International Investment:
The idea of liquidating all personal and business assets whilst keeping my 4/2 sharehouse in Aus and househacking a small cash-bought SF in Maine is an appealing option, after all income/expenses/allocations however it would negatively cash flow $2.50/week assuming a stable currency rate.


Though principal paydown is a valuable wealth-building tool, my desire for cash flow in addition to a lot of trapped equity in Australia's fairly rigid/monopolistic/regulated financial market (and an unavoidable double-taxed hit on eventual sale[4.ii] for which i'd not utilize a 1031 exchange[4.iii]) makes this an unattractive option.

4.i - USDA loan qualifying region map (https://eligibility.sc.egov.us...)

4.ii - Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (FEIE) thresholds (https://www.americansabroad.or...)

4.iii - Challenges with international 1031 exchanges (https://atlas1031.com/exchange...)

If you've read this far, thanks so much for your attention. Any and all suggestions, critiques, questions, references, and facts you might think are relevant are wonderfully appreciated and may well be the deciding factor in which path ends up being taken. I hope at the minimum that this post at some point can at least help someone, and I hope to be able to post a follow-up thread by years end updating on what the chosen path was!

0Reply
44 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 11 votes
4y

I want to be sure you are clear on an FHA loan for a 3-4 unit. FHA requires that a 3 or 4 unit property be self sufficient. On top of that, you can only use 75% of the estimated gross rents as determined by an appraiser (although you do get use the estimated rents for the unit you would owner occupy). In other words, if the property makes 4,000 in estimated gross rents (1,000 per unit), we could use only 3,000 as the estimated rents. If your mortgage payment is 3,100 (including taxes, insurance, MI, any HOA dues, etc), that property will not qualify for FHA because the payment is greater than qualifying rents. I have never been able to qualify anyone on a 3-4 unit for FHA on the west coast, but I'm sure in some markets it would work.

While on the topic of loan programs, it's important to know that just because FHA (or other investor) says you can do a loan with XYZ characteristic, doesn't mean every lender does. Lenders have what are called "overlays" and they are basically stricter internal guidelines that have to be met. While one bank will do a loan with a 580 credit score, another may have an overlay that their minimum credit score is 620. One may finance mobile homes with FHA while another will not. One may do the construction 203k or Homestyle or portfolio construction loans/rehab loans, others may not.

Also, you mentioned several times about lenders in Maine.  Many companies, especially the ones that could help you with alternative loan programs, are licenced in multiple states or nationwide and US territories.  I wouldn't necessarily narrow down your lender search to the person you like best in the area you are looking at.  There are SO MANY lenders nationwide to choose from(though in this market, the ones that were in it for the easy refinance boom money will be leaving any time now).  I want to also add, that before taking the plunge, I would recommend using a company associated with a bank.  While all of us in lending are taking a beating with the interest rates as they are, the ones not associated with a bank have a greater chance of not being there the day you need to close because they don't have the balance sheet diversification to continue business.  

AND...(I feel like I keep talking), I remember doing a loan very similiar to yours with someone who lived in the UK.  I don't remember the card she had, but it was a Visa/Mastercard/AMEX- one of the big ones here in the states.  We were able to order an international credit supplement from them to add to her credit history.  Do you have one of these that could help?

I am personally on the "rent for six months to a year to get your bearings" train.  Imagine how horrible it would be to buy a property you later find out is in an area is completely not your style, especially given the differences in weather.  Experience a Maine winter first!

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about my rambling response!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    4y

    Maine has drastically different markets within the state. So not all advise will work in those different areas. You seem ambitious enough and have done research. My advice would to be to get here first and rent where you want to live. Then network with some local investors to that area. Learn in person in your spare time. You should be able to find a good investment within a few months. If you are sent deals from overseas you could really get in trouble unless you are real familiar with the area or have a local team in place. Do you know what part of the state you would like to live in?

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Oh dang, the page reset when I tried to post. That's two lost posts in a row, yeouch! I'll be brief because it's after midnight and I'm supposed to be inter-city in...Seven hours. Oops!

    @Ed EmmonsThanks for replying! Hey Ed!

    I narrowed it down to Lewiston/Auburn, versus Augusta. At a glance they have almost identical crime levels, personal incomes, sqft prices, and population trends. I still don't know the social or financial dynamics of capital investing particularly with an uncharacteristically small capital like ME has and so though I lean strongly towards Lewiston, I still haven't been able to rule out Augusta.

    And I fully agree regarding the importance of understanding a micro-market rather than observing markets' macro factors. A hundred meters West from me house prices rise 200k. A few hundred meters South West of me though house prices drop 150k in addition to the two seemingly comparable areas being entirely different in terms of tenant base and buyer desirability. I wouldn't even be able to determine the best place to invest in the city I live using just macro factors.

    I hadn't considered renting as a primary option until your suggestion - Just a backup in case of delays in liquidating or some unknown delay in converting AUD/USD. Based on some math I did here and lost on trying to post it's a valid option, and thanks so much for the idea!

    And I was wondering - Have you ever been down South for meet ups? I'd love to hear of them if you've any favourites - I signed up in advance for one in November but i'm having trouble separating true networking events from glorified sales conferences. Have a great day!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Aaron Wadsworth:

    Hey!

    The title was a little t......


     Hi Araron,

    All of these will not be the same "Easy" for YOU personally.

    Pick the one with the least risk (for you) that is easiest for you "Personally" and listen to (and think about) the words of this song.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hx4gdlfamo

    Good Luck!

  • Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 21 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Ed Emmons:

    Maine has drastically different markets within the state. So not all advise will work in those different areas. You seem ambitious enough and have done research. My advice would to be to get here first and rent where you want to live. Then network with some local investors to that area. Learn in person in your spare time. You should be able to find a good investment within a few months. If you are sent deals from overseas you could really get in trouble unless you are real familiar with the area or have a local team in place. Do you know what part of the state you would like to live in?


     Couldn't agree more with this sentiment...and in Lewiston Auburn, Ita even more accurate of one street being a great investment option and the next not 

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    I've heard that expression but never knew it came from a song - Cool! You similar to my Mother and my Aunt; they're risk-adverse and love cash investment. Easier said then done in their expensive markets! It's a shame, the least risky/ most easy seems to be a simple FHA fourplex - But https://www.hud.gov/sites/docu... page 222 (4155.1 4.E.5.c Analyzing Projected Income) makes me think that FHA is the least likely of all loan types to be approved without finding a lender willing to overlook that as some sort of judgement call, given the lack of US income.

    And also strongly agreed, @Chelsea A. I know you're in the area; is Lewiston Auburn/Lewiston-Auburn the correct nomenclature? I'm struggling to find the easiest way to refer to them both at once. I'd love to meet you and your partner this Fall/Winter! I know that was in a different thread, but one reply is always simpler than two!

  • Specialist · Milford, ME · Member since 2016 · 630 posts · 378 votes
    4y

    I haven’t attended the meetings there but there are a few BP members active in that area. I used to invest in Lewiston but it has been 15 years. There are definitely micro markets in that area and you will want some local guidance.

  • Jon KellyPro Member
    Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2016 · 929 posts · 951 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Wadsworth it's great you're spending a lot of time and thought preparing before starting your journey. 

    To put it bluntly, all 3 of those "plans" are meaningless unless you find deals. I would be very aggressive identifying your market and networking with people that can find you deals. 

    Clearly #3 is the most lucrative and the most time consuming option. #3 would be my selection, but it ultimately depends on your lifestyle and your goals. 

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Aaron Wadsworth I am just going to ask you some direct questions...

    -Out of curiosity, why Maine?  Job, family?  

    -Are you keeping your SF portfolio in Australia?

    -Will you have a significant amount of cash to invest, or will it be tied up in other investments?

    -Have you considered renting while you get your feet under you?  I know that BP makes you feel like you have to buy right this second, but renting in the short term is a great deal... it's finite, and there are no closing costs, taxes, transaction costs or realtors fees.  When your lease is up... you move out.  And I promise you... there will be still be RE in ME to buy after six months or a year.

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Agreed with your assessment on deal importance, @Jon Kelly. The 'deal' part is slightly more important than the 'lender' part, because all those publicly-available MLS's aren't necessarily deals. If I can see a deal from all the way here then it's already been analyzed by the seller and agents' respective networks, a dozen in-the-know locals in advance, and a hundred others the week it was listed and was passed by them all. Working to get in to that those first groups is the only way to get ahead. (For keyword alert's sake, let me take this chance to say wholesalers Maine, Lewiston, Auburn, Augusta, and Androscoggin)

    @Nicholas L. Regarding the questions in order
    1) A blog from a woman in rural Maine made me consider migrating to the state years before I even started actively looking in to REI, though I never learnt her county; A moment during a walk outside of Augusta in 2018 confirmed the desire to move; surrogacy laws are more liberal compared to Australia; I think it's beautiful; the people are the most lovely I've yet met (but they can't understand my accent!); and I'm sick of heat drought and fires - Cool temperate, precipitous oceanic climates are a vibe and i'm still sad none of the acorns I snuck out of the US germinated (though given Australia's strict biosecurity measures and laws I certainly never did that, no sirree)

    2) Liquidating everything, no portfolio. Just two bank accounts and some IVC shares.

    3) All cash, not tied up. Not sure how much it'll be because CGT is calculated differently in Australia and the largest chunk i'll pay is based on apportionment countered by depreciation/offset losses on business assets i'm yet to sell for a price i'm yet to know. Anything beyond 200k AUD/140k USD will be used for IVC shares, however (to create AUD for tax, charities, and holidays)

    4) I hadn't until @Ed Emmons brought up the idea earlier in the thread. It's become one of the most attractive options, and I can't believe it was only a backup all this time. It was originally a point on the silly section (iV) on my first post until I deleted the post when posting, and I plain old forgot about it when retyping. So far my track record for bulldozing my own posts is not enviable.

  • Bethany TuronPro Member
    Property Manager · Durham, ME · Member since 2019 · 179 posts · 102 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Aaron Wadsworth:

    Oh dang, the page reset when I tried to post. That's two lost posts in a row, yeouch! I'll be brief because it's after midnight and I'm supposed to be inter-city in...Seven hours. Oops!

    @Ed EmmonsThanks for replying! Hey Ed!

    I narrowed it down to Lewiston/Auburn, versus Augusta. At a glance they have almost identical crime levels, personal incomes, sqft prices, and population trends. I still don't know the social or financial dynamics of capital investing particularly with an uncharacteristically small capital like ME has and so though I lean strongly towards Lewiston, I still haven't been able to rule out Augusta.

    And I fully agree regarding the importance of understanding a micro-market rather than observing markets' macro factors. A hundred meters West from me house prices rise 200k. A few hundred meters South West of me though house prices drop 150k in addition to the two seemingly comparable areas being entirely different in terms of tenant base and buyer desirability. I wouldn't even be able to determine the best place to invest in the city I live using just macro factors.

    I hadn't considered renting as a primary option until your suggestion - Just a backup in case of delays in liquidating or some unknown delay in converting AUD/USD. Based on some math I did here and lost on trying to post it's a valid option, and thanks so much for the idea!

    And I was wondering - Have you ever been down South for meet ups? I'd love to hear of them if you've any favourites - I signed up in advance for one in November but i'm having trouble separating true networking events from glorified sales conferences. Have a great day!


     Hi Aaron, you’re interested in my local markets! You can connect with me and I can give you some advice on where to look as well as a lender you may be able to use right away. 

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Oh wow, thank you @Bethany Turon. That's very generous! I'm sending the request now.

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Aaron Wadsworth OK - great!  My dad grew up in Maine so I can confirm - it's a beautiful state with lovely people!  Cold winters though =-)

  • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    4y

    I want to be sure you are clear on an FHA loan for a 3-4 unit. FHA requires that a 3 or 4 unit property be self sufficient. On top of that, you can only use 75% of the estimated gross rents as determined by an appraiser (although you do get use the estimated rents for the unit you would owner occupy). In other words, if the property makes 4,000 in estimated gross rents (1,000 per unit), we could use only 3,000 as the estimated rents. If your mortgage payment is 3,100 (including taxes, insurance, MI, any HOA dues, etc), that property will not qualify for FHA because the payment is greater than qualifying rents. I have never been able to qualify anyone on a 3-4 unit for FHA on the west coast, but I'm sure in some markets it would work.

    While on the topic of loan programs, it's important to know that just because FHA (or other investor) says you can do a loan with XYZ characteristic, doesn't mean every lender does. Lenders have what are called "overlays" and they are basically stricter internal guidelines that have to be met. While one bank will do a loan with a 580 credit score, another may have an overlay that their minimum credit score is 620. One may finance mobile homes with FHA while another will not. One may do the construction 203k or Homestyle or portfolio construction loans/rehab loans, others may not.

    Also, you mentioned several times about lenders in Maine.  Many companies, especially the ones that could help you with alternative loan programs, are licenced in multiple states or nationwide and US territories.  I wouldn't necessarily narrow down your lender search to the person you like best in the area you are looking at.  There are SO MANY lenders nationwide to choose from(though in this market, the ones that were in it for the easy refinance boom money will be leaving any time now).  I want to also add, that before taking the plunge, I would recommend using a company associated with a bank.  While all of us in lending are taking a beating with the interest rates as they are, the ones not associated with a bank have a greater chance of not being there the day you need to close because they don't have the balance sheet diversification to continue business.  

    AND...(I feel like I keep talking), I remember doing a loan very similiar to yours with someone who lived in the UK.  I don't remember the card she had, but it was a Visa/Mastercard/AMEX- one of the big ones here in the states.  We were able to order an international credit supplement from them to add to her credit history.  Do you have one of these that could help?

    I am personally on the "rent for six months to a year to get your bearings" train.  Imagine how horrible it would be to buy a property you later find out is in an area is completely not your style, especially given the differences in weather.  Experience a Maine winter first!

    Good luck and let me know if you have any questions about my rambling response!

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    @Linda Garcia That was a beautiful and informative post - Thank-you!

    I saw on page 217 of HUD 4155.1 that rental income could be used; was that 25% deduction from gross rents the HOC vacancy and maintenance factor the handbook mentions? I've been curious about the factor since first seeing it, but the link provided on the handbook doesn't land on a valid page and google searches only put forth a 15% vacancy factor with no reference to maintenance.

    I'd never heard of overlays before, thanks for the heads-up - it could have easily saved me a false start! Most lenders follow near-identical underwriting here, and I hadn't thought of there being such variability, internationally. I'd seen different credit score requirements, but didn't think they'd treat different asset classes differently provided they were residential and under 5 units.

    I have no prejudice with regards to location or institution type (bank vs nonbank), I've just heard quite a great many times to find "a local lender" and assume there's some lender-granted flexibility whilst borrowing intrastate. I'll take your advice to stick to bank-associated lenders to heart though - I've heard rumors about credit contractions and it'd be inconvenient to start a relationship with a lender who ends up withdrawing financing. You mention 'us' and 'we', which lender were you working with? I'm always interested in connecting!

    I've had two credit cards -1500 and 19500 respectively- from Commonwealth Bank of Australia. I've closed both, and hopefully the two will contribute to some sort of NTCR.

    I hope to experience a good Northern Winter as soon as I get there - The timing seems to put my move in late Autumn Fall, assuming the delays finally stop. I was surprised to learn that Maine was only 0.9 degrees Celsius colder on average over the year than my area - I presume due to proximity to the ocean and lower altitude. I'm still expecting to struggle a bit though, and those arctic blasts can stay well North of the border.  Regarding renting, it's such a seemingly-good option and everyone posting agrees it's a good idea. I'm still trying to get over my bias against it but come time to move i'm sure that'll be the dominant option, assuming there's any rental in town with a sub-year lease option (such as https://www.rentals.com/Maine/...).

    Thanks again for your reply - it was enlightening, rambled the exact right amount, and was a pleasure to read!

  • Dan WeberBusiness Member
    Realtor · Portland, ME · Member since 2015 · 655 posts · 552 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Wadsworth - @Linda Garcia makes some good points about not limiting your search to only local lenders. However, Maine is all about small business and if you are targeting any properties that are listed on the market, listing agents like to see buyers that are using local lenders. Every time I submit an offer with a buyer from a big bank or national lender, they ask me if the buyer has been pre-approved with anyone else. It can legitimately hurt your offer in a competitive situation. With this being said, I would encourage you to talk to some big banks AND local lenders before making a decision. Shoot me a DM and I'm happy to provide a few recommendations for local banks and mortgage brokers.

  • NC · Member since 2022 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Thanks for your reply, @Dan Weber! I'd never heard of listing agent lender preferences before - Definitely worth remembering, to try and get an advantage over interstate investors. It makes sense, here there's an expression to "Shop local so the money stays local" - That sentiment must hold true in Maine financial markets too. I'll send you a message now!

  • Member since 2022 · 14 posts · 11 votes
    4y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.