Why I Believe Many Investors Have the Wrong Goals

Why I Believe Many Investors Have the Wrong Goals

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes

It’s my opinion that many investors have the wrong mindset when it comes to real estate investing.  This is evident when they express their goal as “ I want to own enough real estate to provide me a $10,000 per month income to replace my salary”.  While financial independence is a worthy goal, defining it this way leads to investing that’s (1) too restrictive , (2) too heavily emphasized on cash flow and (3) too heavily reliant on only one way to achieve financial independence.

I always stated my goal as “ I want to have an investable net worth of $x in 5 years while utilizing a maximum of 50% leverage.  This allows for a wide variety of ways to achieve the goal thru all aspects of real estate; investing in assets that have great capital gains potential but may not cash flow (options, land, redevelopment, gentrification, etc. ) utilizing “fee income” to build my estate (syndication, brokerage, partials, participations), and “creating” high yielding notes, and “creating” wealth through creative real estate buying, selling and exchanging. 

I’m a firm believer in that before one masters any creative or wealth building strategy in real estate investing, they need to master three things; (1) real estate PRINCIPLES, (2) real estate LAW, (3) real estate FINANCE.  Once the investor understands these three FOUNDATIONAL aspects of real estate investing, they can comprehend the creative and wealth building techniques and strategies and successfully apply them to individual deals.  It is precisely because of mentoring programs that teach strategies and techniques to people who do not have any grasp of the three afore mentioned fundamentals that we have such a mess with “wholesaling” and “subject to” that governmental authorities are figuring ways to heavily regulate or outright ban these activities in the residential real estate field. 

Let us know what you think.  What are or were your goals in real estate? Have you achieved them? Or are you on the path to achieving those goals? 

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
17Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
2y

This got out of hand a few years ago. There was a thread going that asked if folks would rather have:

- A $3M equity portfolio that produced breakeven cash flow.

- A $1M equity portfolio that produced $15K per month.

Many people chose the second option.

Another way of phrasing the question is:

“Would you rather have $3M or $1M?”

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y

    retiring on cash flow is a pretty tough thing to do for most folks full stop.

    to me to do that its highly dependent on your location and price points.

    And how much capital you have to start with and or your day job to allow you to scale.

    On wholesaling that is just transactional real estate with income that is taxed at the highest level and to be successful at it one needs partners or access to pretty decent amount of start up money to afford the marketing it takes to get your leads. Most simply don't have it and or also have very limited sales and closings skills ..

    For wealth generation to me its all about appreciation organic or forced. Especially in high priced markets were married couple gets that 500k tax free.. do that a few times in your life that will make you more money than most rentals at 200.00 a month cash flow. And managing your own owner occ la bode is far eaiser :)  

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    This got out of hand a few years ago. There was a thread going that asked if folks would rather have:

    - A $3M equity portfolio that produced breakeven cash flow.

    - A $1M equity portfolio that produced $15K per month.

    Many people chose the second option.

    Another way of phrasing the question is:

    “Would you rather have $3M or $1M?”

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    “And managing your own owner occ la bode is far eaiser :)”

    I don’t know Jay, apparently you never met either of my ex wives!

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    “And managing your own owner occ la bode is far eaiser :)”

    I don’t know Jay, apparently you never met either of my ex wives!


     LOL  Touche '  

  • Gregory SchwartzBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · College Station, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Well said. 


    One of the best pieces of advice I heard years ago on a podcast was from a gentleman worth $100+ million. He said, "Start tracking your net worth now." I took that to heart in 2016, and since then, my net worth has been my primary financial KPI.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Cashflow increases your lifestyle. If you already have a high net worth or a high enough salary then you can focus more on equity plays. I think the bulk of BP members are not high networth so cashflow is their number 1 priority. It's also hard to access that equity unless you have enough properties to sell one off every few years, cash out refi do not always work for example I have a 4 unit its got like $400k equity but if I cash out refi it then it would no longer cashflow so the money is just stuck in there the old mortgage is at 3% so I won't ever refi it anyways. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

    Cashflow increases your lifestyle. If you already have a high net worth or a high enough salary then you can focus more on equity plays. I think the bulk of BP members are not high networth so cashflow is their number 1 priority. It's also hard to access that equity unless you have enough properties to sell one off every few years, cash out refi do not always work for example I have a 4 unit its got like $400k equity but if I cash out refi it then it would no longer cashflow so the money is just stuck in there the old mortgage is at 3% so I won't ever refi it anyways. 


     This is exactly the type of reasoning I do not agree with.  LOL.  

    Of course, your opinion is just as valid as mine, and if it works for you, that's all well and good.

    True, you definitely do NOT want to give up a 3% loan....BUT there are numerous CREATIVE ways to build net worth FASTER than hold and reinvest cash flow.  My focus when I say concentrate on net worth is to be open to the possibilities.  For example, let's say you find a great deal but don't have the  cash to make it happen.  You could borrow a second against the $400k of equity in your property - and accept short term negative cash flow to earn a lot more on the great deal you don't want to pass up.  You can create a second lien against same property, and substitute it for a down payment on the property you want to buy.  You can sell the property utilizing a wrap note, with the note at 10% interest and earn 10% on your equity and 7% on the amount of the note.  If the note is 50% that's a 17% note you just created.  Further, you should be able to sell the property for 10-20% ABOVE cash sale value because you're providing owner financing.  You can exchange your property for a larger property and build your net worth faster through greater appreciation (because of higher starting value) and greater amortization.  

    I have personally utilized numerous creative strategies and techniques to accelerate my wealth, while still making judicious use of leverage to provide a reasonable margin of safety with each deal and a very strong margin of safety for my portfolio as a whole.  And I made most use of these "wealth accelerating' techniques when I had little capital and was in the initial stages of investing.  

    There's nothing wrong with buy and hold for cash flow, but I believe strongly that with enough knowledge and experience, one can accelerate and enhance building an estate utilizing "creative" strategies, all without taking undo risks. 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    Yeah i would consider a 2nd mortgage cashout on it if rates fell in future to recapture the equity. I have a $90k heloc on it can use also use for flips, etc. but thats more temporary cash out that I only pull if plan to repay.

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    It’s my opinion that many investors have the wrong mindset when it comes to real estate investing.  This is evident when they express their goal as “ I want to own enough real estate to provide me a $10,000 per month income to replace my salary”. 

    This is so fundamentally wrong, but for different reasons too. And none of them think differently so they continue to say this in these threads.10k is fine, today. You need to be inflation-adjusted, every 12-15 years it needs to be 40-50% more.

    If you're 40, and want to retire at 55. You want to withstand life till 80-85, at minimum, 95 at the tops. So you want basically +40 years of retirement income. Therefore, the right goal should be $25-$35k/mo. Yes, your rents will appreciate so you don't need that today but you need that at 1-2% net back dated to today. 

    The right move is for folks to have 3 income streams + SS going into retirement. 401k/IRA, Real Estate, 1 other business. But most folks in the 25-45 year old age group won't even be sufficient in 1 of them to retire at 67, let alone 62.

    Plus, this is a lever. Increasing income is one, you need to reduce expenses too so managing debt is key.


  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    2y

    An old tv infomercial championed you to get rich quick and sit on the fan tail of a Luxury yacht sipping a tall cool drink surrounded by swimsuit clad models.

    (Now that is a financial goal on another planet from replacing your working income and retiring to plunge toilets for a bunch of Class C people who've never held a job in their life)

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    2y

    Most, if not all, of the $10K per month posts come from people who have not purchased a property yet.  It's a wish rather than an informed goal.

    I find it better to focus on systems/actions (analyze X properties, offer on Y, close on Z).

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    Most, if not all, of the $10K per month posts come from people who have not purchased a property yet.  It's a wish rather than an informed goal.

    I find it better to focus on systems/actions (analyze X properties, offer on Y, close on Z).


     Agree, I never went after things for X or Y amounts. It's all about systems, and see where it takes you. Too many variables in life force change.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    It’s my opinion that many investors have the wrong mindset when it comes to real estate investing.  This is evident when they express their goal as “ I want to own enough real estate to provide me a $10,000 per month income to replace my salary”.  While financial independence is a worthy goal, defining it this way leads to investing that’s (1) too restrictive , (2) too heavily emphasized on cash flow and (3) too heavily reliant on only one way to achieve financial independence.

    I always stated my goal as “ I want to have an investable net worth of $x in 5 years while utilizing a maximum of 50% leverage.  This allows for a wide variety of ways to achieve the goal thru all aspects of real estate; investing in assets that have great capital gains potential but may not cash flow (options, land, redevelopment, gentrification, etc. ) utilizing “fee income” to build my estate (syndication, brokerage, partials, participations), and “creating” high yielding notes, and “creating” wealth through creative real estate buying, selling and exchanging. 

    I’m a firm believer in that before one masters any creative or wealth building strategy in real estate investing, they need to master three things; (1) real estate PRINCIPLES, (2) real estate LAW, (3) real estate FINANCE.  Once the investor understands these three FOUNDATIONAL aspects of real estate investing, they can comprehend the creative and wealth building techniques and strategies and successfully apply them to individual deals.  It is precisely because of mentoring programs that teach strategies and techniques to people who do not have any grasp of the three afore mentioned fundamentals that we have such a mess with “wholesaling” and “subject to” that governmental authorities are figuring ways to heavily regulate or outright ban these activities in the residential real estate field. 

    Let us know what you think.  What are or were your goals in real estate? Have you achieved them? Or are you on the path to achieving those goals? 


     I had no goals when I started other than finding a non-stock market investment that would pay better than anything at the bank. I picked RE because I had a lot of practical knowledge and experience that I thought I could leverage to add value to my purchases. I already had a decent job with a future pension, and no thoughts of living off of cash flow. So I reinvested everything back into the business until I found myself with a nice fleet of rental homes, some fully paid off and others with minimal leverage. One day I noticed my rental properties produced significantly more cash flow than my W2, and since I was at retirement age for my pension and the state was screwing me on my time, I was able to take my retirement pension and live (hopefully) happily ever after 😅

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Valhalla, NY · Member since 2013 · 132 posts · 84 votes
    2y

    Great post @Don Konipol! I’m sure every investor has a different mindset and different goals. I know my goals align with trying to build generational wealth for my family and trying to create my own real estate business that helps support my family/friends in whatever goals they want to accomplish. I know for some people real estate is just an investment while for others it may be a calling or passion. Ever since joining this community over 10 years ago I have truly been passionate about real estate investing and helping teach others about financial independence. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 673 posts · 677 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

     What are or were your goals in real estate? Have you achieved them? Or are you on the path to achieving those goals? 

     I had no goals like JD Martin starting out, I was just fed up with being miserly with my money and still broke. 5 years later owning $2.4m through 3 properties via the hojse hacking strategy with my spouse, I am starting to see the vision and path.

    I continue to flip flop on what my exact investing strategy will look like (do I continue in small multi which is going well or switch future purchases to note buying via the cash flow the properties kick off?) but in the short term (2 years), we have enough cash and plan to buy a 4 unit and enough equity in my first duplex to buy another 4 unit. That would get us to about $5m in properties owned solely in our name and from there I want to reasses. I always enjoy your posts which get me thinking and will be commenting in your note discussion tomorrow.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    I'm one of those investors that had a goal of 10k/month cash flow. lol. I was clueless when I started 9 years ago and didn't really have any strategies. I just kept recycling the equity to scale up without using any of my own money. It took me 6 years to hit 10k/month net cash flow. Much faster than I thought. I'm at 17k/month now with 27 SFR. Some of us just sort of wing it and ok with cash flowing in random ways without a plan. If I see a deal, I find ways to borrow money and snag it. I'm usually taking out 0% interest for a year credit card loans or 401k loans to find the cash. Then pay them off with the cash flow. Pretty simple strategy, but it works for me. RE definitely isn't rocket science and anyone can get very wealthy off it if they just give themselves 5-10 years. My "base hits" are paying off finally. They definitely weren't home runs for at least the first 3-5 years. lol. Patience is key!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    2y

    When my mindset changed from having an emergency fund to having an opportunity fund with extra savings or credit lines, it was a breakthrough.  

    This was the simplest way I knew how to explain to an everyday person around the campfire when we 'retired'. It's not always obvious.  Looking ahead and being aware of opportunities vs behind/above waiting for another shoe to drop. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2023 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    It’s my opinion that many investors have the wrong mindset when it comes to real estate investing.  This is evident when they express their goal as “ I want to own enough real estate to provide me a $10,000 per month income to replace my salary”.  While financial independence is a worthy goal, defining it this way leads to investing that’s (1) too restrictive , (2) too heavily emphasized on cash flow and (3) too heavily reliant on only one way to achieve financial independence.

    I always stated my goal as “ I want to have an investable net worth of $x in 5 years while utilizing a maximum of 50% leverage.  This allows for a wide variety of ways to achieve the goal thru all aspects of real estate; investing in assets that have great capital gains potential but may not cash flow (options, land, redevelopment, gentrification, etc. ) utilizing “fee income” to build my estate (syndication, brokerage, partials, participations), and “creating” high yielding notes, and “creating” wealth through creative real estate buying, selling and exchanging. 

    I’m a firm believer in that before one masters any creative or wealth building strategy in real estate investing, they need to master three things; (1) real estate PRINCIPLES, (2) real estate LAW, (3) real estate FINANCE.  Once the investor understands these three FOUNDATIONAL aspects of real estate investing, they can comprehend the creative and wealth building techniques and strategies and successfully apply them to individual deals.  It is precisely because of mentoring programs that teach strategies and techniques to people who do not have any grasp of the three afore mentioned fundamentals that we have such a mess with “wholesaling” and “subject to” that governmental authorities are figuring ways to heavily regulate or outright ban these activities in the residential real estate field. 

    Let us know what you think.  What are or were your goals in real estate? Have you achieved them? Or are you on the path to achieving those goals? 




    Thank you for sharing your perspective—it’s given me a lot to think about. My primary goals in real estate investing are to diversify my investment portfolio, build generational wealth, and lower my taxable income. Given your emphasis on mastering the foundational aspects of real estate, I’d love to hear your advice on how I can effectively integrate these principles, laws, and finance into my strategy. What steps would you recommend for someone like me who is just starting out but eager to build a solid foundation in these areas? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I work toward my investment goals.

    Here's my original posting: 

    Requesting Investment Strategy Advice for a Real Estate Newbie (biggerpockets.com)


  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:

    It’s my opinion that many investors have the wrong mindset when it comes to real estate investing.  This is evident when they express their goal as “ I want to own enough real estate to provide me a $10,000 per month income to replace my salary”.  While financial independence is a worthy goal, defining it this way leads to investing that’s (1) too restrictive , (2) too heavily emphasized on cash flow and (3) too heavily reliant on only one way to achieve financial independence.

    I always stated my goal as “ I want to have an investable net worth of $x in 5 years while utilizing a maximum of 50% leverage.  This allows for a wide variety of ways to achieve the goal thru all aspects of real estate; investing in assets that have great capital gains potential but may not cash flow (options, land, redevelopment, gentrification, etc. ) utilizing “fee income” to build my estate (syndication, brokerage, partials, participations), and “creating” high yielding notes, and “creating” wealth through creative real estate buying, selling and exchanging. 

    I’m a firm believer in that before one masters any creative or wealth building strategy in real estate investing, they need to master three things; (1) real estate PRINCIPLES, (2) real estate LAW, (3) real estate FINANCE.  Once the investor understands these three FOUNDATIONAL aspects of real estate investing, they can comprehend the creative and wealth building techniques and strategies and successfully apply them to individual deals.  It is precisely because of mentoring programs that teach strategies and techniques to people who do not have any grasp of the three afore mentioned fundamentals that we have such a mess with “wholesaling” and “subject to” that governmental authorities are figuring ways to heavily regulate or outright ban these activities in the residential real estate field. 

    Let us know what you think.  What are or were your goals in real estate? Have you achieved them? Or are you on the path to achieving those goals? 

     Everyone needs to read this again everyday for at least 30 days.  

    There are jewels written within those vowels and consonants.  


    although I jumped in not know that they would try and cash my deposit check having a very good understand of principles, law and finance is paramount to success.  The three are only missing ethics. 


  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    OP
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry Lazerow:

    Cashflow increases your lifestyle. If you already have a high net worth or a high enough salary then you can focus more on equity plays. I think the bulk of BP members are not high networth so cashflow is their number 1 priority. It's also hard to access that equity unless you have enough properties to sell one off every few years, cash out refi do not always work for example I have a 4 unit its got like $400k equity but if I cash out refi it then it would no longer cashflow so the money is just stuck in there the old mortgage is at 3% so I won't ever refi it anyways. 

    There are ways to utilize the equity in that 4 unit - but the techniques require work, offers, rejection, and hopefully end up in success.
    An example would be as follows.  You locate a property you want to own, let’s say the seller is motivated to get out because he has had no success in maintaining tenants and tenant turnover is killing any cash flow.  You, being experienced in residential as a landlord, understand that his major problem is that he is not selective in choosing tenants merely doing a very superficial background check and basically jumping at the first person to apply. (Btw, I found this to be a very common first time landlord mistake).  You make him an offer subject to his existing (hopefully) low interest loan.  The down payment consists of a second lien on your 4 unit with no payments for 6 months and payments beginning month 7.  For maximum NET WORTH BUILDING, the note can  be structured as a 5 year no interest fully amortized note.  Let’s say the second lien on your 4 plex represents 40% equity in the newly acquired property.  While you may be at b/e for cash flow, at the end of 5 years you have 40% equity in the property if 0 appreciation.  Let’s say your property acquistion appreciates at the historical 6% per annum.  That’s an addition (compounded) 34%.  All on 0 cash invested.  Think wealth building, not cash flow in this instance will result in a good opportunity. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.