It's 2018. Whatcha Gonna Do About It?

It's 2018. Whatcha Gonna Do About It?

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes

Every year around this time I see threads on BP asking about your goals for the coming new year. “Put it out there, hold yourself (or each other) accountable” yada yada yada. Those of you that know me well know that I don’t normally post this type of stuff.

This one is different.

I’ve never been big on the whole state your goals thing. I’ve never had a coach or mentor to hold me accountable. But I’ve still managed to accomplish things that many people aspire to but never do (like going from broke grocery clerk to buying over 700 properties for starters). I didn’t do it by just putting it out to the universe. I did it by taking action. Taking specific thought-out steps on a consistent basis.

Your goals don’t matter to anyone but you. They can be as lofty or as modest as you want—because they are YOUR goals. So whether your goal is to buy the Empire State Building or your first house hack, your participation in this thread is relevant. Someone out there will benefit from what you have to say.

Go ahead and state your goal, not to hold yourself accountable, but to give context to your answer to the real question: What are you going to do in the coming year to accomplish your goal?

I’ll start. My goal is to buy $100 million of real estate in 2018 (my primary focus is large apartment complexes). I’ve done $50 million-ish a year for the last two years so this goal, while lofty, isn’t an impossible stretch. And if I don’t accomplish it, I don’t care…if there aren’t enough great deals to get to $100 million I’m perfectly fine if the final tally is less.

But I’m going to fight hard for it. I’m going to evaluate over 1,000 deals. I’m going to thoroughly underwrite several hundred deals and I’m going to tour and make offers on many dozens. I’m going to implement a secure online portal on my website where my investors can obtain copies of their quarterly reports and tax documents, which will give added transparency and make it easier for them to monitor their investments and performance. I’ll add a place on my website where investors can view new offerings and subscribe to investments online without shuffling paper documents via email which will make it easier to invest. These last two steps will build additional investor loyalty and referrals, which ultimately leads to more capital to fuel purchases.

I’ll post on BP to help others, and at the same time build awareness to my skill set and my business. I’ll write a series of articles for the BP blog which will initiate discussion about topics of interest to income property investors, which will ultimately lead to more brand awareness. I’m going to put at least ten opportunities in front of institutional private equity groups, guys that can write $10 million checks (or even more) to further leverage my investor base, which will allow me to not only buy larger properties, but more properties, and give additional opportunities to my growing base of investors.

@Tarl Yarber

Now it’s your turn. Whatever your goal is, give the rest of the BP community a peek behind the curtain. Some readers will have the same goal as you and are struggling to figure out how to accomplish it. Or maybe you need this more than they do…have you really thought about the steps you’ll need to take to get to where you’re going? If not, think about it now and post it here. You’ll thank me next year.

Maybe I can even convince some of my go-getter BP friends to participate?  How about it, @Tarl Yarber, @Jered Sturm, @Arlen Chou, @Mindy Jensen, @Scott Trench, @Jay Hinrichs, @Brie Schmidt, @Joe Fairless, @Michael Blank, @Engelo Rumora, @Ben Leybovich, @Reed Goossens, @Jeff Pollack, @Account Closed, @David Greene, @J. Martin, @Serge S., @Johnson H., @Bryan Hancock, @Jeff Greenberg, @Dave Van Horn, @Brian Adams, @Karen Margrave, @Brandon Turner, @Will Barnard, @Chris Clothier and @J Scott?

So…what are you going to DO in 2018 to accomplish your goals?

46Reply
160 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

Seems like many great minds start in the Grocery industry like   @Chris Clothier  my first pay check was a bagger at Food Villa in Santa Clara CA  1.65 an hour.. !!!

2018  finish new construction projects that I have going in PDX and CHS .. Flip two big plats I am working on to Lennar or Toll Brothers !

Continue to fund all my mid west and east coast companies.. we are at 1,500 fundings and climbing

Continue to provide 5 year non recourse financing for buy and hold IRA buyers and other investors.. and help locals build that buy and hold portfolio when they cant get scale ( highly picky on this)

continue to provide quality performing notes for NON Accredited investors..

In negotiations with a developer right now for my 4 acres in Rohnert Park.. mixed use resi.. commercial on the bottom 3 stories of resi on top. ( oh the Joys of Sonoma county development  LOL)

And lastly pay all my state income tax this week.. and then get moved into my place in Vegas and take NV residency.

See this reply in the discussion

94 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Gautam Venkatesan:

    Awesome thread!  What is clear to me from reading this thread is I need to work on defining SMART goals for myself for 2018 :)

    @Chris Clothier - interesting your team picked STL to start investing in 2018. I travel to STL often on work and was surprised to learn of all the Fortune 500 companies in this "small" Midwest city. Can you educate us on what factors led to choosing STL market?

    @Mike Dymski - I've battled the decision of turning our primary residence to a rental multiple times over the past year. It's in an A-class neighborhood, walking distance to the elementary school so there is no shortage of renters that will definitely cover all expenses and them some, there is definitely long-term appreciation possibility... so should I give up tax-free profit?? Any advice on how to make an objective/quantitative decision?

    The correct answer is to calculate the IRR as a rental (including the tax on sale) compared to the IRR on the alternative use of the funds (i.e. a different rental). The shortcut would be to figure the tax on future sale and your home will not break even as a rental until it covers that amount.

    Members ask about converting their primary residence into a rental all the time on BP and they rarely make good rentals (especially in expensive A-class neighborhoods).

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2017 · 126 posts · 110 votes
    8y
    My goals for next year are to 1) get a few deals under my belt to build credibility and experience and 2) get plugged into my local RE community in Atlanta. Tactically, I want to: 1) Participate in at least 3 real estate deals by the end of 2018. 2) Attend every BP Atlanta monthly event, as long as I am not traveling that day. 3) Get plugged into 1 Atlanta REIA and attend each of their monthly events, as long as I am not traveling that day. 4) Analyze at least 10 deals/week, to support goal #1. 5) Get my RE License, mainly so that I can get access to the MLS. By 2019, I want to be doing enough deals where the MLS access is worth the annual membership fees. Tactically to do this: January I will select a program, likely an online course. February I will pay for the program and start the course. I want to complete the course by end of May 2018. 6) Do a good job at my day job to get my full performance bonus, which will be capital for one of my deals.
  • Investor · Ponte Vedra, FL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke Would love your feedback on how to achieve my goals...

    Our goal for 2018 is to own 12 rental properties. We are newbie investors with 1 SFH under our belt. We have $27k in an IRA that we are using to help us kick off our purchases. The price range for the homes is around $50k each. So purchasing the first 2 is pretty straight forward (20% down /conventional loans). After that we plan on tapping into a HELOC to purchase 3 more in the 2nd quarter.

    After this, I'm a little unsure how to purchase the remaining 5 properties as we won't have anymore cash reserves for the 20% down needed for either conventional or hard money loans. We thought seller financing could be an option, but doubtful we can get all 5 this way and we would still need money to put down. We've also partnered with a company named "Fund and Grow" that can access business funding via credit cards. The money is interest free for 6-18mos. Figured we could use this for the down, but then we would need money to pay the CC back after 6-18 mos.

    In addition, we are going to start the year wholesaling properties to raise capital.

    Would love some guidance on how to move forward!!

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 287 posts · 270 votes
    8y

    @Kirsten Braddock research the BRRRR strategy. You'll be able to recycle your money if you do it right. Good luck in 2018!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Golden, CO · Member since 2013 · 590 posts · 319 votes
    8y

    2018- Complete 100 deals this year with a mix of flips and wholesales in Denver Metro. 

    Help other local investors by creating a platform to help acquire and move their deals.

    Buy a few off market multi families in between the madness!

  • Golden, CO · Member since 2017 · 65 posts · 35 votes
    8y

    Hi @Lumi Ispas - Awesome set of goals; do you ever present via webinar or podcast? 

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @David Krulac It's funny, reading through your posts how much we have in common. I too reduced a portion of my holdings (33%), and of course, I'm hoping to stress less and relax more as time goes on but we'll see! I think the key is to delegate to the experts and try to only focus on what you're absolutely best at. I'm also looking to write and speak more in the new year. Very excited to hear you talk at our Mid Atlantic Summit in the Spring!

    Oh and it looks like we're both the outliers on this thread, since I was also a newspaper boy! I even won a trip to Disney World as one of the top "salesman" of the year. That was quite the big deal for me back then haha

    @Brian Burke

    Appreciate the kind words about the book. I'll have to get you a signed copy when it comes out! As for the writing aspect though, I do have to warn you, it can definitely become a massive undertaking. Especially while trying to run a business, so let's just put it this way...my next book will definitely be written in seclusion....hopefully some place nice like Siesta Key ;)

    P.S. 

    Can't wait for @Brie Schmidt's event in Chicago as well! Hope to connect with a lot of Midwestern folks there!

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I should also add that I really enjoyed your post @Chris Clothier, glad to hear another BPer has their sites set on a Billion! I have no doubt 2018 will get you one step closer to the magic "B" word.

    Also very interested to hear about the new book, I'll have to get a copy when it comes out!

    Lastly, your Charity work is beyond inspiring. I think it may have motivated a future forum post/article for me on the subject. 

    It's threads like these that make BiggerPockets so powerful. Aside from the sheer breadth of knowledge outlined in these posts (I bet a new investor could figure out an entire business plan working backwards from some of these!) , the goals here show the power of not only Real Estate but also community. And to think, many of us started out as grocery store baggers and paperboys!

  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2017 · 791 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I've never been one for specific goals. I had one goal when I started in 2010 and that was to achieve financial freedom passively through rentals. I left my job in mid-2015 and my wife left hers this year. So that's done! We did that through just taking advantage of the home run deals when they were there, and patiently waiting when they weren't. In fact in 2015 I didn't buy a single investment property. Had I stuck to some arbitrary goal of X properties in Y time, I may have forced an ok deal to reach my goal and then not been able to do the great deals when they came (bought 80 units in 2016).  

    The closest it comes to a "goal" for me in 2018 is to be more intentional with my time. To live life intentionally. To enjoy and appreciate every day since any day may be my last. To travel, explore and enjoy our freedom.

    We have the income we need for the life we want to live. I have general plans for real estate because I love putting deals together. So continuing to invest fits in with my goal of enjoying life. I bought two portfolios in 2017 (June & November) that I will finish up all the work on, refinance them, and have that additional income. When they are both done (summer), I'll also have around $200-300k to deploy into the next deal. I'm playing with ideas of what to do with that and wether I will do something alone, or go bigger. I'll see what fits in with my main goal of enjoying life. Time commitment will be a big deciding factor. If it takes up too much of time, then it won't be an option. I'll also be very patient with that and wait for the right deal as I always have. I still look for deals because I like analyzing and have a few investors I can partner with if a good one pops up before I refinance these other packages.

  • Rental Property Investor · Pompano beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 478 posts · 194 votes
    8y

    My goals for 2018:

    1. Purchase 20 SFH, after buying my 1st 15 in the past 8 mths

    2. Work on my presentation to attract private lenders

    3. Invest in my education by attending Reia mtgs & Best ever conf in Denver, & midatlantic summit in philly.   To learn from those more experienced & knowledgable than myself.

    4. Having read 30 real estate books in past 8 months, increase that to 40

    5. Build massive & passive income as a legacy for my children.

    6. Create a financial path to purchase 100 SFH

    7. Provide safe, clean, affordable, comfortable homes for 35 families.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dave Van Horn

    I also won a trip for new newspaper customers, but alas not to Disney.  My prize was a trip to the Presidential Inaugural.  We left on the train the night before and got to Washington DC in the early morning and turned loose on the city, as i recall we got tickets to the parade and instructions to be back at Union Station for the train ride home.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 745 votes
    8y

    Ok, I could say our goal is to close on our first house of the year in January, but that would be kinda cheating.  We are supposed to meet the notary to close on our next rental on Tuesday the 2nd.

    I honestly think this year, we might look for one other either BRRR or fix and flip later in the year.

    We have a rental we bought last year for cash.  We have a few nice choices, either do some minor work and leave the current tenant in place.  Or else we do a reasonably amount of rehab and get a new tenant at a higher price point.  Or else we do a full rehab, maybe add some square footage and do a full flip. 

    My inclination is minor rehab, refinance it and keep the renter in place and just cash the checks, either way, we will  either sell, or refinance to get our cash out.

    I think we are at a good time and place for now, but I would like to end 2018 a little more flush with cash and long term notes.

    So net net, we plan on buying one house, refinance another and maybe do another BRRRR or flip.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Chris Clothier thanks for jumping in on this thread!  What many people might not realize is that you are scaling literally $135K at a time.  We apartment guys can do $100 million in 2018 in 3 to 6 deals, but for you that's more like 700 to 800 deals.  It's so inspiring to people when they see that working hard pays off so well.  If anybody doubts that it can be done they just need to re-read your post.  And now I have another book to add to my reading list!  I'll be watching for that one!

    @Daniel Hyman, "learn to say no better in order to say yes to really important things".  I love that!  So many new investors say yes to everything because they don't know which one will be their big break.  But the big break comes with focus.  I was guilty of the "yes" for probably my first 25 or so years in this business.  

    @Tarl Yarber that's a great strategy...set the bar for 2017 so low that 2018 HAS TO be remarkable!  It was great meeting you at @J. Martin's Bay Area Summit.  Now if only I get invited to the big PNW Expo......  :)  With a goal list like that I need to hang around you more and hope some of that ambition and philosophy rubs off on me.

    @Kirsten Braddock the best advice I can give is to read the responses to this forum thread.  There is so much good stuff in here, great ideas, motivation, you name it.  Specific to your situation, for your last five properties you could get your friends & family to invest with you...they put up the money, you find and manage the deals and split the profits.  Instead of doing five, do ten and then after the money is split it's just like you had five all to yourself.  Don't load up on debt by borrowing all those down payments...that could take you down before you realize your dream. 

    @Dave Van Horn thanks for the warning.  I talked to @J Scott after he wrote his first book and he told me the same thing.  I can appreciate your thoughts about writing in seclusion.  One of my goals for the last decade was to have an oceanfront place in Maui one day.  I fulfilled that goal in 2017 (thanks to real estate investing!) so my new goal is to spend more time there.  I got a nice zero-gravity beach chair, an umbrella, and a new laptop.  I'm thinking that and the sound of the waves should be all the inspiration I need to write that book.  Don't hold your breath though...I keep using that time to write BP posts instead.  LOL

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by :
    I talked to @J Scott after he wrote his first book and he told me the same thing.  I can appreciate your thoughts about writing in seclusion.  One of my goals for the last decade was to have an oceanfront place in Maui one day.  I fulfilled that goal in 2017 (thanks to real estate investing!) so my new goal is to spend more time there.  I got a nice zero-gravity beach chair, an umbrella, and a new laptop.  I'm thinking that and the sound of the waves should be all the inspiration I need to write that book.  Don't hold your breath though...I keep using that time to write BP posts instead.  LOL

    Brian - I already told you that you have a ghostwriter (or better yet, a co-author) if you ever want one...  ;-)

  • Lawrence L.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2008 · 144 posts · 64 votes
    8y
    Brian Burke Thank you for starting this thread...I’m motivated and pumped by these post. I’ve read these posts twice. My GOALS FOR 2018..Read the Bible daily 1.Acquire 150 units(14 units a month) Small Multifamily 4-20 unit buildings in state and out of state 2. Cash flow per door 200 3. Underwrite 10 deals a day 4. Attend 1 Monthly REIA and make 1 friend at the meeting 5. Attend the Mid Atlantic Summit Dave Van Horn 6. Read 2 real estate books a month and 1 motivational book 7. Make better use of my time 8. Pay off my credit cards by March 31 9. Give away 15 pounds 10. Change my eating habits 11. Go to the GYM in the morning before going to work 5 days a week weightlifting 3 days 40 min each day Cardio 2 days 20 min 12. Help and add value to people I meet!!!!! TO ALL ON THIS THREAD THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME THE MOTIVATION AND DIRECTION THAT I NEED....SEE YOU AT THE TOP..!!!!
  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 338 posts · 444 votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke, I usually keep a lot of my investment details close to the vest on BP, but you've inspired me to try to be more transparent and layout some of the things I'll be working on in 2018. 

    I don't really think of these as "goals" so much as just "things I have to get done" this year:

    1.) I'm closing on a 40+ unit apartment building in March. At the risk of becoming a laughing stock on BP, I'm paying $500k a door! How's that for your Bay Area MF prices?! I'll be using the next 2-3 months before closing to get my repositioning plan in place, lining up visits with my architect, structural engineer, and gc to make sure we hit the ground running. I'm also working on my financing for funding 60%+ LTV, which isn't as easy as it was even a year ago, but luckily I've built up good banking relationships, and it looks like they're willing to take the leap with me.

    2.) Hire a new assistant to help with the day-to-day property management. I've been mostly a self-manager (I let my first assistant go early 2017), but it's time to get over my lingering trust issues and free up part of my brain again away from customer service and back to the business building activities I enjoy.

    3.) Diversify. First of all, I'm like 99% invested in real estate right now. And secondly, within real estate, I've pretty much got all my eggs in MF within two local communities. With the market topping off (in my opinion), I'd like to look at other investment opportunities both for the sake of diversifying and simply to learn some new stuff. I've already moved some funds to stocks, and I've taken a couple of long shots on a VC fund and crypto-currencies. I'm looking forward to learning more about performing notes and shorter-term syndications. I'm also doing my first ground-up development project this year - a 3000 sq. ft. spec house. Should be fun!

    I tend to be more of a lurker on BP, with some occasional input, but I do enjoy reading many of your posts (and listening to the podcasts), since I learn about topics much less familiar to me. I tend to think that investing over the long term is less about having strict goals and more about expanding your knowledge on what's out there, so that you can recognize the future BIG opportunities when they present themselves. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bennington, VT · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    Lots of inspiration in this thread! My goal for 2018 is purchasing my first property. Looking for a multi family in need of repair to combine house hacking and BRRRR strategies. I've got the cash, I know the area market and I'm connected with an investor friendly agent, now time is the only missing ingredient as I wait to hit six months of employment at my current job for financing to pull through.

  • United States · Member since 2015 · 401 posts · 394 votes
    8y

    @Mike Dymski thanks for the heads up on the 121 gain exclusion.

    Also thanks for the words of encouragement, I look forward to a busy and successful 2018!

  • Investor · Ponte Vedra, FL · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Rita Medeiros:

    My goals for 2018:

    1. Purchase 20 SFH, after buying my 1st 15 in the past 8 mths

    2. Work on my presentation to attract private lenders

    3. Invest in my education by attending Reia mtgs & Best ever conf in Denver, & midatlantic summit in philly.   To learn from those more experienced & knowledgable than myself.

    4. Having read 30 real estate books in past 8 months, increase that to 40

    5. Build massive & passive income as a legacy for my children.

    6. Create a financial path to purchase 100 SFH

    7. Provide safe, clean, affordable, comfortable homes for 35 families.

    How were you able to purchase 15 SFH over the past 8mos?

  • Real Estate Investor · New Hope, PA · Member since 2014 · 193 posts · 113 votes
    8y

    @Dave Van Horn Thanks for the mention, and sorry for being late to the party!! @Brian Burke Thank you for starting such a terrific discussion/thread. This is the #999 reason I absolutely love BiggerPockets!! @Matt Faircloth and I finalized our business and personal goals for 2018, and I wanted to jump in and share with the group as well: 

    1) Double our passive income via purchasing value add multifamily properties (focus 10-200 doors)

    2) Earn a quarter of a million via flips, turn key sales, new construction deals, etc. (we call these "capital gains" activity)

    3) All current pipeline projects (i.e. new construction and flips) exceed profit goals, pre sold, and attract multiple offers

    4) Continue to increase our investor returns, ongoing communications with investors, and new investor base

    5) Optimize, simplify and increase profitability of current rental portfolio. Begin to position Matt out of the day to day operation of the Trenton portfolio.

    6) Current redevelopment "mixed use" projects are complete, full of fantastic tenants, and strong cash flow for their owners

    7) DeRosa brand continues to provide tremendous value and education through ..... our newly formed New Jersey Real Estate Investing meetup group we are in the midst of organizing/launching, YouTube channel, speaking engagements, participating in conferences such as the MidAtlantic Summit in April, blogs, BP webinars/facebook live, and a new weekly podcast that will launch by the end of January called the Real Estate InvestHER Podcast (with @Andresa Guidelli).  

    8) On a personal note, some of my goals are to go on a trip (for a special birthday) with close friends, participate in 1-2 running races, work out at least 3x a week, engage in daily prayer and meditation, travel a ton with our family and go on a "couples retreat" with Matt, read at least 5 books, participate in at least two cleansing/fasting programs. Wake up each day with confidence, faith and enthusiasm! 

    Here is to a phenomenal year together! :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    Every year around this time I see threads on BP asking about your goals for the coming new year. “Put it out there, hold yourself (or each other) accountable” yada yada yada. Those of you that know me well know that I don’t normally post this type of stuff.

    This one is different.

    I’ve never been big on the whole state your goals thing. I’ve never had a coach or mentor to hold me accountable. But I’ve still managed to accomplish things that many people aspire to but never do (like going from broke grocery clerk to buying over 700 properties for starters). I didn’t do it by just putting it out to the universe. I did it by taking action. Taking specific thought-out steps on a consistent basis.

    Your goals don’t matter to anyone but you. They can be as lofty or as modest as you want—because they are YOUR goals. So whether your goal is to buy the Empire State Building or your first house hack, your participation in this thread is relevant. Someone out there will benefit from what you have to say.

    Go ahead and state your goal, not to hold yourself accountable, but to give context to your answer to the real question: What are you going to do in the coming year to accomplish your goal?

    I’ll start. My goal is to buy $100 million of real estate in 2018 (my primary focus is large apartment complexes). I’ve done $50 million-ish a year for the last two years so this goal, while lofty, isn’t an impossible stretch. And if I don’t accomplish it, I don’t care…if there aren’t enough great deals to get to $100 million I’m perfectly fine if the final tally is less.

    But I’m going to fight hard for it. I’m going to evaluate over 1,000 deals. I’m going to thoroughly underwrite several hundred deals and I’m going to tour and make offers on many dozens. I’m going to implement a secure online portal on my website where my investors can obtain copies of their quarterly reports and tax documents, which will give added transparency and make it easier for them to monitor their investments and performance. I’ll add a place on my website where investors can view new offerings and subscribe to investments online without shuffling paper documents via email which will make it easier to invest. These last two steps will build additional investor loyalty and referrals, which ultimately leads to more capital to fuel purchases.

    I’ll post on BP to help others, and at the same time build awareness to my skill set and my business. I’ll write a series of articles for the BP blog which will initiate discussion about topics of interest to income property investors, which will ultimately lead to more brand awareness. I’m going to put at least ten opportunities in front of institutional private equity groups, guys that can write $10 million checks (or even more) to further leverage my investor base, which will allow me to not only buy larger properties, but more properties, and give additional opportunities to my growing base of investors.

    @Tarl Yarber

    Now it’s your turn. Whatever your goal is, give the rest of the BP community a peek behind the curtain. Some readers will have the same goal as you and are struggling to figure out how to accomplish it. Or maybe you need this more than they do…have you really thought about the steps you’ll need to take to get to where you’re going? If not, think about it now and post it here. You’ll thank me next year.

    Maybe I can even convince some of my go-getter BP friends to participate?  How about it, @Tarl Yarber, @Jered Sturm, @Arlen Chou, @Mindy Jensen, @Scott Trench, @Jay Hinrichs, @Brie Schmidt, @Joe Fairless, @Michael Blank, @Engelo Rumora, @Ben Leybovich, @Reed Goossens, @Jeff Pollack, @Account Closed, @David Greene, @J. Martin, @Serge S., @Johnson H., @Bryan Hancock, @Jeff Greenberg, @Dave Van Horn, @Brian Adams, @Karen Margrave, @Brandon Turner, @Will Barnard, @Chris Clothier and @J Scott?

    So…what are you going to DO in 2018 to accomplish your goals?

    Lofty-ing up my goals!! I'm tired of accomplishing all my annual goals with months left in the year!  Raise 'em up! I posted about it here:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/8160/69274-tim...

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks for the call out @Brian Burke.

    This is my first post on BP in many, many months.  2017 was a transformative year for me and thus I have not posted.  I am planning to make a long post soon to discuss what has happened to me, but what I can tell you briefly is that NOTHING matters without your family.  

    My 2018 goals are much humbler than the ones I would have cited at the beginning of 2017.  I was running 3 businesses and working full time with 3 small kids.  Can you say busy?!  Crazy.  I was also speaking across the country, acting as an angel investor, and generally doing too much.

    In 2018 my goal is to learn to raise the baseline level of my happiness and invest as much time as I can with my children.  I also plan to give back to others after I have been fortunate enough to make a considerable amount of money prior to age 40 (I'm 38 now) doing what I love to do.  Right now I am currently reading The Art Of Happiness by Dalai Lama and Dr. Howard Cutler and have a call scheduled with a former monk to learn about meditation later today.  I am working with my daughter to learn softball, have played video games with my kids lately, and will be working with my oldest daughter to improve her writing skills.

    What's the use of all the trappings of success if you can't cash in your chips and enjoy life at some point?  I plan to continue investing passively is projects from others and advising with startups that I have started or that can use my help.  Aside from that 2018 will be a year where I do mind training and learn to raise my baseline level of happiness.  This is something for folks to consider as they read this thread.  

    Good luck to everyone in 2018 and beyond.  Remember that your family should come first!

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    @Bryan Hancock - Sounds like you and I have had similar years of reflection.

    One of the reasons I love BP is learning from others experiences.  I have been investing for 6 years and my "6 years ago" self would be surprised at what my goals are now, or where I have gotten now.  We all share a fundamental ideology of financial freedom, and even though we all have different definitions of that, the end game is time.  

    We can always want more and work more and accomplish more, but we need to remember that this adult game of monopoly is fun, but the reason we got into it is to enjoy our life.

    Also - I am adding a new 2018 goal to my list... Never see a post again about the "2% Rule" 

  • Investor · Asbury, NJ · Member since 2015 · 226 posts · 205 votes
    8y

    I'm going to steal @Brian Burke's idea and buy the Empire State Building...

    Seriously, though, we completed two flips this year and bought a vacation rental investment property. Also worked like dogs and did not have enough downtime. Plan for 2018 is to stop and smell the roses...from The One Thing by Gary Keller: "What's the ONE thing I can do such that by doing it everything else will be easier or unnecessary?" The answer for us is getting into multifamily, looking to buy a ten+ unit once our current flip closes, also working more on our business and not in our business which for me means maybe going parttime in my regular career in order to devote more time to RE. If I could focus more on project management, acquisitions, etc, I could eventually transition out of the other career entirely.

    Here's to a great year for everyone!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    My goals are below!

    1. Ramp up to 5 flips at one time by end of year

    2. Purchase first buy-and-hold small multi-unit (preferably a BRRR strategy buy)

    3. 8 Wholesales (as we are fully leveraged)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.