It's 2018. Whatcha Gonna Do About It?

It's 2018. Whatcha Gonna Do About It?

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes

Every year around this time I see threads on BP asking about your goals for the coming new year. “Put it out there, hold yourself (or each other) accountable” yada yada yada. Those of you that know me well know that I don’t normally post this type of stuff.

This one is different.

I’ve never been big on the whole state your goals thing. I’ve never had a coach or mentor to hold me accountable. But I’ve still managed to accomplish things that many people aspire to but never do (like going from broke grocery clerk to buying over 700 properties for starters). I didn’t do it by just putting it out to the universe. I did it by taking action. Taking specific thought-out steps on a consistent basis.

Your goals don’t matter to anyone but you. They can be as lofty or as modest as you want—because they are YOUR goals. So whether your goal is to buy the Empire State Building or your first house hack, your participation in this thread is relevant. Someone out there will benefit from what you have to say.

Go ahead and state your goal, not to hold yourself accountable, but to give context to your answer to the real question: What are you going to do in the coming year to accomplish your goal?

I’ll start. My goal is to buy $100 million of real estate in 2018 (my primary focus is large apartment complexes). I’ve done $50 million-ish a year for the last two years so this goal, while lofty, isn’t an impossible stretch. And if I don’t accomplish it, I don’t care…if there aren’t enough great deals to get to $100 million I’m perfectly fine if the final tally is less.

But I’m going to fight hard for it. I’m going to evaluate over 1,000 deals. I’m going to thoroughly underwrite several hundred deals and I’m going to tour and make offers on many dozens. I’m going to implement a secure online portal on my website where my investors can obtain copies of their quarterly reports and tax documents, which will give added transparency and make it easier for them to monitor their investments and performance. I’ll add a place on my website where investors can view new offerings and subscribe to investments online without shuffling paper documents via email which will make it easier to invest. These last two steps will build additional investor loyalty and referrals, which ultimately leads to more capital to fuel purchases.

I’ll post on BP to help others, and at the same time build awareness to my skill set and my business. I’ll write a series of articles for the BP blog which will initiate discussion about topics of interest to income property investors, which will ultimately lead to more brand awareness. I’m going to put at least ten opportunities in front of institutional private equity groups, guys that can write $10 million checks (or even more) to further leverage my investor base, which will allow me to not only buy larger properties, but more properties, and give additional opportunities to my growing base of investors.

@Tarl Yarber

Now it’s your turn. Whatever your goal is, give the rest of the BP community a peek behind the curtain. Some readers will have the same goal as you and are struggling to figure out how to accomplish it. Or maybe you need this more than they do…have you really thought about the steps you’ll need to take to get to where you’re going? If not, think about it now and post it here. You’ll thank me next year.

Maybe I can even convince some of my go-getter BP friends to participate?  How about it, @Tarl Yarber, @Jered Sturm, @Arlen Chou, @Mindy Jensen, @Scott Trench, @Jay Hinrichs, @Brie Schmidt, @Joe Fairless, @Michael Blank, @Engelo Rumora, @Ben Leybovich, @Reed Goossens, @Jeff Pollack, @Account Closed, @David Greene, @J. Martin, @Serge S., @Johnson H., @Bryan Hancock, @Jeff Greenberg, @Dave Van Horn, @Brian Adams, @Karen Margrave, @Brandon Turner, @Will Barnard, @Chris Clothier and @J Scott?

So…what are you going to DO in 2018 to accomplish your goals?

46Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

Seems like many great minds start in the Grocery industry like   @Chris Clothier  my first pay check was a bagger at Food Villa in Santa Clara CA  1.65 an hour.. !!!

2018  finish new construction projects that I have going in PDX and CHS .. Flip two big plats I am working on to Lennar or Toll Brothers !

Continue to fund all my mid west and east coast companies.. we are at 1,500 fundings and climbing

Continue to provide 5 year non recourse financing for buy and hold IRA buyers and other investors.. and help locals build that buy and hold portfolio when they cant get scale ( highly picky on this)

continue to provide quality performing notes for NON Accredited investors..

In negotiations with a developer right now for my 4 acres in Rohnert Park.. mixed use resi.. commercial on the bottom 3 stories of resi on top. ( oh the Joys of Sonoma county development  LOL)

And lastly pay all my state income tax this week.. and then get moved into my place in Vegas and take NV residency.

See this reply in the discussion

94 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    Seems like many great minds start in the Grocery industry like   @Chris Clothier  my first pay check was a bagger at Food Villa in Santa Clara CA  1.65 an hour.. !!!

    2018  finish new construction projects that I have going in PDX and CHS .. Flip two big plats I am working on to Lennar or Toll Brothers !

    Continue to fund all my mid west and east coast companies.. we are at 1,500 fundings and climbing

    Continue to provide 5 year non recourse financing for buy and hold IRA buyers and other investors.. and help locals build that buy and hold portfolio when they cant get scale ( highly picky on this)

    continue to provide quality performing notes for NON Accredited investors..

    In negotiations with a developer right now for my 4 acres in Rohnert Park.. mixed use resi.. commercial on the bottom 3 stories of resi on top. ( oh the Joys of Sonoma county development  LOL)

    And lastly pay all my state income tax this week.. and then get moved into my place in Vegas and take NV residency.

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I have 5 concrete goals for 2018:

    1. Purchase a 40,000 sqft light industrial building in Milpitas or San Jose Ca.
    2. Take my "shared equity" financing plan, for some of my key employees, from alpha testing to beta level deployment
    3. Take my thesis of "distributed affordable housing" from concept to alpha level deployment.  This is a "not for profit" goal...
    4. Work with some great people that I have met here on BP to get some deals going.
    5. Lastly have a great time and survive motorcycling through Vietnam with @J. Martin!
  • Investor/Syndicator · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 470 posts · 599 votes
    8y

    Thanks for asking @Brian Burke . Great goals, always good to see good people succeeding at such a high level. Congrats on 2016,17 and the exciting coming 18. 

    In 2018 I will swallow the tough pill of going back for more on an unmet goal of 2017. taking what we learned, where I fell short and going back to work to reach what we set out for. My goal was to acquire $10M in rental property with a focus on large multifamily. 

    What I did wrong:

    I was outplayed by the competitive nature of the market. I lacked strong enough relationships and a deep enough track record to break into a new market (ATL) and in a niche, I have not successfully executed (100+ unit apartments) at the same time. The result was 1) Not getting enough quality opportunities in front of myself to execute on. 2) Eliminating any competitive advantage I did have when bidding. 3) I was too focused on getting the big deal done when I should be also scooping up bread and butter deals on the way to the big one. This is the organic growth we have always relied on and we simply lost sight of it when we really wanted to make the leap to the next big thing.

    What we did right: 

    Although I did not even come close to my goal what we did do was lay a lot of very solid foundation blocks that will allow me to build upon this year. 1) We have built upon the trust and relationship we do have with equity investors. We now have a sizable investor pool ready to participate with us when we are ready to deploy. 2) I personally relocated to (ATL) to build relationships with local owners, managers, and brokers. gaining some competitive advantage  3) We continued to build our track record through efficient operation of our existing portfolio. 4) We remained very disciplined in our underwriting. It is my fault we did not get opportunities good enough to execute on. This could have easily resulted in frustration and fluffing of numbers to just get one done. But we didn't. We stuck to what we know is a good opportunity and owned up the fact that we simply failed to bring one home. 

    What I will do: 

    I will combine my "rights" with what I have learned and I will go back to work. I will 1) Continue to grow in the sub 100 unit space where we have had our success thus far all while also continuing to seek the larger opportunities. 2) I will use the successful networking event I put together in ATL to add value to those in the industry and begin to grow my network through being an asset to those active in MF rentals and others they are associated with. 3) I will continue to foster the strong relationships I have with Investors who are there for us when we are ready. 4) I will continue to keep my investment underwriting discipline 5) I will continue to hold my character to a higher importance than achieving this or any goal.

  • Johnson H.Pro Member
    Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2010 · 910 posts · 889 votes
    8y

    Hi Brian, I am honored that you tagged me. Looking at the names that you tagged, I don't think I belong to be mentioned as a go-getter. The struggle into prime Bay Area multifamily was real for me in 2017 so I am in your latter camp of needing this more than they do.  Thanks for forcing me to think about this before the new year. Here is the list of things I think I need to work on for 2018. 

    1. Increasing lead generation. As I am the small fish in the big pond, I need to work harder on securing leads on off market deals from agents, brokers and wholesalers which will involving more reaching out and networking by me.
    2. Loosening my underwriting. My underwriting has been too stringent due to my irrational fear of the next correction. @Account Closed, keep kicking *** in what you do. I heard you speak at J Martin's summit and have followed your endeavors.  It's been great to see your company grow since our meeting in Santa Rosa many years ago.
  • Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Don’t buy turnkey and only with value add so when the tide goes out (who knows if that’s 2-6 years away) there is still equity. Plus shorter and less aggressive holds.
  • Investor · Overland Park, KS · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Great post and topic! My goals are much smaller than the ones above but they are a fairly large stretch for me. I'm looking forward to the new year and keeping up with how everyone is coming along. Here are my top three. 

    1. Buy, Rehab and Rent 10 single family houses, that cash flow at least $250 a month by the end of the year. 

    2. Continue to develop my motivated seller lead generation system so that it is producing at least 120 leads a month by the end of June. 

    3. Flip four houses and profit a minimum of $35k on each one. 

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I'm going to get to work with @Mindy Jensen to launch and sustain a world-class new podcast helping people build private wealth and create a financial position strong enough to easily invest in real estate, start a business, or live the lifestyle of their dreams. 

    Including this podcast, but not exclusive to this podcast, I hope to reach 10M people (between podcasts, new content, blog posts, etc) with work that I create or contribute to in order to help grow BiggerPockets and spread good and thought-provoking financial concepts. The goal of each of these 10M hits is to encourage great financial habits that assist in some way or other in helping folks attain early financial freedom.

    For real estate, my goal is to purchase a $500,000 - $700,000 property that will make for a great house-hack in a place that I will love living in the downtown area of Denver, CO. I am not sure exactly how much cash I will need to bring to the table to make this happen yet, as a number of things may influence that number. So, more specifically, I want to deploy at least $150,000 into solid cash flowing real estate investments, including a house-hack purchase and possibly an additional long-distance acquisition or partnership.

    I'm not an entrepreneur in real estate like some others in this thread, I am an employee at BiggerPockets who invests part-time for some passive cash flow on the side, so I am not ready to scale into a ton of deals like some other folks quite yet! Sticking with conventional financing and seeking easy-to-manage investments for the next few years with real estate, if practical. Thinking big and creatively with content.

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    8y

    I recently listened to one of the newer BP podcasts and have changed my goal setting mindset. I've always heard to set realistic attainable goals. I dropped that in the past few years to set more unattainable goals with the mindset that if I set them higher, I'll get higher than my realistic goals. I thought that was the key ticket. NOW, after listening to that podcast I'm more interested in setting systems in place that beget goals. For example, you have a goal to lose 20lbs by so and so. Very specific and with a time line set. But you hit that goal and then a month later you're back to that 20lbs overweight after all this hard time working to cut calories, work out etc. Instead, setting a system in place will hit that 20lbs weight loss and keep you going forward. If you set a system of I'm going to workout x amount of times per week that 20lb goal will come and will stay in place and health will continue to succeed. 

    To relate it to real estate I'm going to be setting systematic goals instead. I will send out x mailers per month. I will talk to x leads per month. I will reach out to x people per month to grow my network. I'll be trying this strategy this year to see how it pans out and I feel more secure and motivated with those goals more than I ever have. I'm sure I've heard this strategy before but just have never had it click mentally for me until now.

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke Thanks for the tag, I think this is a great post idea (and different than many of the other Goal posts I see here on the site).

    We have a 10 year goal (to have $1 billion+ under management), a 3 year goal, a 1 year, and of course quarterly goals. All of which play into each other.

    As CEO of my company, my goal is to oversee the upper management team (and hold them accountable) to complete the following initiatives by the end of the 2018:

    1.) $100 million+ under management (This is different than $100 million in hard real estate world. This is $100 million+ in cash and holdings, without any traditional bank financing).

    2.) Evaluate and improve current buying strategy (this, like many other department’s strategy is something that consistently changes. My coach likes to say, “Your strategy is only good for about 18 months, maximum.”)

    3.) Improve Data Systems and internal reporting from Trades and Acquisitions.

    4.) Continue to refine loss mitigation strategy and portfolio analysis/management.

    5.) Fully implement operational systems that ease manual processes and provide accurate reporting to support transparency, especially as it relates to accounting and fund management.

    6.) Launch our licensed Loan Servicing affiliate to buy/hold/sell loans throughout the U.S.

    7.) Develop and implement our HR Design and Talent management plan for the continued acquisition of subject matter experts. This is key for growth. You’re only as good as the people you surround yourself with, so building a team of qualified experts is essential.

    So with that being said, my goal essentially is to get all of these departments at the company to reach their goal. And I'm held accountable too. Not just to our organization and our investors, but we employ business coaches that meet with us monthly, as well as CEO think tanks, consultants, and other business leader groups that top management (including myself) work with.

    Alongside that, as CEO I'm also the face of the company (as many of your are), which is why I'm here on BP telling you this. Well that's not the only reason, I also happen to very much enjoy talking to you guys ;) Sharing advice and experience is something I'm very passionate about, and always keeps the gears turning. I get inspired almost everyday from someone on this site!

    It of course also promotes us and what we do. And in 2018, we plan on raising that awareness big time (so it looks like Brian and I think alike!). I've made a point to dedicate more time in the forums as well as continue my weekly blog posts. On top of that I have a book coming out with BiggerPockets publishing in the Spring. I’m also hosting an event called the MidAtlantic Summit in my hometown of Philadelphia (with a lot of familiar faces from the site speaking and in attendance). Both the event and the book have been massive undertakings and were very much 2016/2017’s goals for me. So as much as 2018 will be a launchpad for new strategies and plans, it'll also serve as a culmination of a lot hard work from the last few years. I think direction was something we struggled with as we found ourselves and our business model over the past decade, but today it's clearer than ever. 2018 is about moving forward in that direction. And we have the steps outlined (even more in-depth than above) to help get us there. So I’m with Brian, planning actionable steps is pivotal to success.

    The last thing I want to mention is that as elaborate as all this seems, it definitely didn't come out of thin air. Through our coach and a few other key advisory people, I was turned onto the Rockefeller Habits, Verne Harnish's book "Scaling Up", and Lewis Schiff's (of Inc Magazine) group - "Birthing of Giants" program based out of Manhattan. All of which have helped PPR and I to decided to dedicate serious time and effort to work on the business, rather than just in it. Anyway, writing this has actually helped me clarify even more what we’re doing than before and I hope it helps anyone reading this as well. Hope to look back in a year and see a lot of check-marks next to these 7 initiatives!

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Also let me tag a few BP friends and see if they have any other goals they’d like to share: @Matt Faircloth, @Liz Faircloth, @Brandon Hall, @Paul Moore, @Carl Fischer, @Douglas Skipworth, @Al Williamson, @Darren Sager, @David Krulac

  • Rental Property Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2017 · 350 posts · 611 votes
    8y

    Great goals! I feel like a very small fish LOL!

    My goals for 2018 are pretty simple - go from (1) 4 unit commercial property + 1 SFH flip to 40+ multifamily units with $200+ positive cash flow per door. Prefer acquiring larger properties, such as 15+ unit apartments, etc. Sprinkle in 2-3 SFH flips here and there to keep things interesting.

  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Dave Van Horn thanks for the tag and good idea @Brian Burke!

    I have two key 2018 goals:

    1. Generate over $10MM in value for BP members and our clients (who are pretty much all BP members). I will do this primarily by:

    • Introducing our clients who are accredited to our other clients who are syndicating large apartment deals (one of our clients raised over $1.5MM from the connections we provided them with in 2017, I'd like to see that double)
    • Helping our smaller clients grow their portfolios through providing deal analysis support and connecting them to our industry partners who have proven track records of getting things done
    • Saving our clients, and those who consume my content, thousands of dollars in taxes via the new GOP tax plan

    2. Grow my firm revenues to $3MM in annual recurring revenue. I will do this by accomplishing #1 above and, since I obviously cannot do this alone, by creating a unique and awesome work environment for accountants and CPAs that will attract top talent. 

    My experience at the Big 4 taught me how NOT to run a CPA firm. My ultimate goal is to show the accounting world that a truly virtual CPA firm can not only exist, but thrive. 

    One of our values is to provide a WOW experience to clients AND our employees. This year will be big for us as we hone in on the systems and processes that will take us to $10MM. 

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Same thing I’ve always done. Stay focused and keep doing what works. Hire more employees, and buy 140 more units in 2018. Beyond that I’ll be spending my summer on the beaches of Nice France, and in the mountain of Colorado. Keeping it simple!

  • Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 163 posts · 312 votes
    8y
    This thread is already a great read. There are some real heavy-hitters in here. I’ve enjoyed and greatly appreciated learning from several of you through podcasts, blogs and forum posts. I will lay out a few of my goals here for a few of you too performers to look at and laugh about (or possibly reminisce?) lol. - Generate deal flow to necessary to be successful at a low volume while implementing systems with scalability in mind. - Generate $100k of profit through house flipping - Obtain a real estate license (my wife, actually) - Read 10 books associated with business/real estate investing - Establish a BiggerPockets meetup for the local Pensacola area investors - Establish and build great, profitable relationships - Increase my personal savings capacity by 15% Thanks again for the thread. Good luck to everyone on accomplishing their goals in 2018.
  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Thank you @Brian Burke for starting this post. I continuously gain a tremendous amount from BP, and I am grateful to all of my new and old friends.  

    I have never been great at long term goal setting. I have learned in life that way too many curve balls can get thrown at you, that you constantly have to re-evaluate those goals.

    One goal I would like to share, somewhat RE related, is to give away $50,000 to charity in 2018. My custom is to tithe 10% of earnings (at least) to help others who need it. Real estate, can give us financial freedom, but I know what it's like not to have anything, and have many of life's challenges be thrown at you. I prefer to help those whom I know, who are struggling, and help get them back on their feet.

    To get there, I have to earn $500k, right?

    RE goals: analyze 10 deals a week, use my investors, and leverage, to maximize buying capacity. Buy $5,000,000 worth of cash-flowing properties.

    Make many more introductions for others to benefit from one another, and create synergy in this amazing community.

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    Consider setting goals on daily and weekly processes rather than on the outcomes.

    “Every result that you desire […] is preceded by a process that is required to produce the result. When you define YOUR process and commit to it for an extended period of time, the results take care of themselves.” -Hal Elrod

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke Good one mate.

    Funny timing as I just put the finishing touches on my 2018 goals (Started planning 2018 in 2016 lol).

    I'm super weird when it comes to this stuff as I like playing "Nostradamus" and "calling" out to my fate.

    I started this in 2015 and had 39 major goals to hit.

    2016 had 43

    2017 had 58

    And now 2018 has 50

    Here are some of them below:

    1. Buy, fix and sell 250+ properties
    2. Grow List’n Sell Realty to 200+ agents 
    3. Raise $3m for List’n Sell’s online platform (Rogue), app, expansion (new markets), ICO, mergers/acquisitions and lead generation
    4. Buy a condo in Lombardy, Italy (Lake Como)
    5. Buy a condo in Havana, Cuba
    6. Win a company award for Ohio Cashflow (Inc 5000)
    7. Give 3 houses away
    8. Publish “The Raw Truth To Success In Real Estate” Book
    9. Start my license to become a pilot (Look out @Jay Hinrichs) haha

    And the list goes on...

    So far I have around 20 listed for 2019 and 10 or so for 2020 lol

    It's truly amazing how when you write down your goals, they subconsciously become a part of you and they start coming to fruition.

    Nothing beats hard work and taking action.

    This has been our best year to date (4x) and am looking forward to doubling it in 2018

    Much success to everyone

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Thanks, @Dave Van Horn

    I have goals every year.  At years end I evaluate the performance of the properties currently in the portfolio.  I consider myself primarily a Buy and Hold Investor.  I've owned an apt building for 37 years, and other long term holds.  I call it "thinning the herd", even though a Buy and Hold, I evaluate properties and decide which ones might be candidates to part with.

    1.  This year I'm going stronger on the thinning, my goal is to reduce 20% of the holdings.

    2.  Be much more selective on any and every new purchase, it must be a super winner, like a sure bet number one draft choice.

    3.  I've accumulated some "back burner" properties that need something and need some kind of work, but I thought they were too good of a bargain to pass up.  Well now is the time to get crackin' and to fix what needs fixin' and liquidate.

    4.  I think 2018 will be a great year to sell and my goal is to sell more properties in one year than I ever have, probably the hardest goal of mine.

    5.  I'm going to sell more of my non-income producing property, mostly land, close out some of the subdivisions, and maybe sell another beach house this year.

    6.  My goal is to work less, sell more, stress less and relax more.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    OP
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs I started as a bagger too, but in 1985 wages had grown to $5/hr!  I made enough money each week to pay for one flying lesson.  It took almost a year to get my license, and after high school life came along and flying was expensive.  Back then I wouldn't have imagined that real estate would allow me to own my own plane, but I'm going on a decade plus in the Cirrus.  Sounds like we might soon be sharing the airspace with @Engelo Rumora...God help us.  LOL

    @Arlen Chou be careful out there on that motorcycle ride, @J. Martin is a wild man but you already know that.  :)  I had a great time speaking at his summit, I'm humbled that he still asks me back even though he's attracting "real" speakers now.

    @Jered Sturm you nailed it.  Very well said and excellent self-assessment.  That's why I posted this thread--when you really start to think about this stuff so much clarity is gained and I think plenty of people are going to learn lessons from your post.

    @Johnson H., @Account Closed what a great perspective you've added.  So many people on BP are focusing on how to build their business and they don't even think about how they'll wind it down.  Thanks for posting that! 

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    @Jay Hinrichs I started as a bagger too, but in 1985 wages had grown to $5/hr!  I made enough money each week to pay for one flying lesson.  It took almost a year to get my license, and after high school life came along and flying was expensive.  Back then I wouldn't have imagined that real estate would allow me to own my own plane, but I'm going on a decade plus in the Cirrus.  Sounds like we might soon be sharing the airspace with @Engelo Rumora...God help us.  LOL

    @Arlen Chou be careful out there on that motorcycle ride, @J. Martin is a wild man but you already know that.  :)  I had a great time speaking at his summit, I'm humbled that he still asks me back even though he's attracting "real" speakers now.

    @Jered Sturm you nailed it.  Very well said and excellent self-assessment.  That's why I posted this thread--when you really start to think about this stuff so much clarity is gained and I think plenty of people are going to learn lessons from your post.

    @Johnson H., @Account Closed what a great perspective you've added.  So many people on BP are focusing on how to build their business and they don't even think about how they'll wind it down.  Thanks for posting that! 

    I won't ask them for permission to land mate 

    "DingoAir" lands whenever and wherever the F*** it wants hahahaha

  • Levi T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    @Jay Hinrichs I started as a bagger too, but in 1985 wages had grown to $5/hr!  I made enough money each week to pay for one flying lesson.  It took almost a year to get my license, and after high school life came along and flying was expensive.  Back then I wouldn't have imagined that real estate would allow me to own my own plane, but I'm going on a decade plus in the Cirrus.  Sounds like we might soon be sharing the airspace with @Engelo Rumora...God help us.  LOL

    @Arlen Chou be careful out there on that motorcycle ride, @J. Martin is a wild man but you already know that.  :)  I had a great time speaking at his summit, I'm humbled that he still asks me back even though he's attracting "real" speakers now.

    @Jered Sturm you nailed it.  Very well said and excellent self-assessment.  That's why I posted this thread--when you really start to think about this stuff so much clarity is gained and I think plenty of people are going to learn lessons from your post.

    @Johnson H., @Account Closed what a great perspective you've added.  So many people on BP are focusing on how to build their business and they don't even think about how they'll wind it down.  Thanks for posting that! 

     I got a participation trophy post 😂😂😂

    140 units... no partners, not a syndicator making a percentage.. just keeping it simple, nets $740,000 in rents after expense each year with debt services, also will average a little north of 5.6 million in instant net equity at the closing table.. do that for 20 years of buy and hold.. no one ever likes the beginning, but they all love the ending, 20 years in the making - warren buffett simplicity

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke @Jay Hinrichs I started out bagging groceries too...maybe that's the path to wealth rather than that rich dad book...  Back then, customers tipped baggers for taking groceries out to their cars.  I knew which customers tipped well and how they liked their groceries bagged (yes, some people are particular about it); so, I would nudge out the other baggers on those customers when I saw them waiting in line.  And I'd rather jump out of the airplane than fly it but I have not jumped in a number of years.  Maybe that needs to make it to the goal list...

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs  I never worked as a bagger; but you and @Brian Burke are in good company as Kurt Warner was working as a bagger before going to Super bowl and Hall of Fame.

    I worked delivering the daily newspaper as a kid for what now seems like such a pittance.  The daily newspaper was 5 cents and the Sunday paper was was 20 cents, if I recall correctly I got 1 cent for the daily paper and 5 cents for the Sunday paper.  After graduating from high school, I couldn't get a factory, mill or other jobs because I was under 18 and there were laws and regulations against that.  Classmates worked in the steel mills, construction and even security guard with a gun.  Not me I got a job making pizza at a small shop, no tables almost all take out, some to the bar across the street.   The shop was open 6 to midnight and some day I opened, worked all night by myself and closed; for which i was paid $1 an hour which was minimum wage at the time.  Later in the summer I got a raise to $1.10 an hour.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @David Krulac  what I like about us lifelong real estate junkies is the interesting way we all started.

    not many with silverspoons.. pretty much we all boot strapped it.. did some apprenticing and then worked smart and diligently and somehow the harder we worked the luckier we got.

    @Mike Dymski I was telling @Chris Clothier  the other day I just cringe when I go to the store today.. checkers talking to other checkers while customers are standing in line.. etc etc. we would have gotten a big reprimand for that.. and yes I had one sweet little older lady who always bought a huge cart full of groceries then I had to put them all neatly in here little Austin Healy :)

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Brian Burke

    Few people talk about business succession.  I've had maybe 15 businesses, mostly real estate.  I've had some partners along the way, but never any employees.  When we did a new development we set up a new company exclusively for that development and when the development was sold out, we would go out of business for that company.

    My wife has her own businesses, not in real estate, but now in candy.  All of the children are scattered out of state and neither my wife or children are interested in the real estate businesses.  In 2017 we sold the last property in one partnership, and in 2018 expect to sell out another development and collapse another company.  My wife's business plan is that she starts a business, develops it to a viable state,and show it was sustainable, profitable and desirable, then when it needs the 7 figure infusion to grow to the next stage, she sells out to a much larger company.  She has sold businesses to Wang, Kodak, and Sprint.  Her most recent acquisition, she sold half a company to Fry Communications.  So her succession plan is to sell out to somebody bigger.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.