To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
I find it very interesting that people's monthly retirement income number seems to be solidly split between those 10k/MO and above, and very low numbers of less than 4k/mo.
My goal is $15k/mo, but by the time I reach it, my number will have gone higher due to inflation. Not only that, but I'd most certainly want 3 yrs of living expenses in cash and/or CDs.
One thought that comes to mind that I haven't seen brought up is that if one "retires" early off rental income that's just barely hitting your expenses, you'll likely get squeezed over time as interest and depreciation deductions go away and more of your income is taxed.
Also as someone mentioned earlier, when long term care and/or other health events happen in older age, you'll be forced to sell property, pay huge depreciation recapture taxes, and cut off your income streams.
One part of the difference is probably cost of living. In some more rural areas not on the coast one can live really cheap, compared to high cost of living areas on the coasts.
If I recall correctly, some of the people who posted low numbers are single with no children as well (which may not be the case in the future).
Of course, lifestyle is another part of it.
A big part of a 'freedom number' or early retirement would be cost of health insurance. That can be really expensive, and I doubt is being included in any $4K/month numbers that have been posted.
Exactly my wife and i pay 1600 a month just in health insurance.. what these kids think will work in their early years will not be real in their later years if they are self employed..
To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
Derek I am on your team you keep at it... nothing wrong with paying cash.. most of the most successful and truly wealthy poeple investors i know have much of their real estate debt free and no other debt alltogether..
Did those people make their money in RE, or did they make it elsewhere and then just needed somewhere to park it and chose RE?
To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
Derek I am on your team you keep at it... nothing wrong with paying cash.. most of the most successful and truly wealthy poeple investors i know have much of their real estate debt free and no other debt alltogether..
Did those people make their money in RE, or did they make it elsewhere and then just needed somewhere to park it and chose RE?
well my friends got there pretty much with everything but real estate.. but there are plenty on BP that of course have done well and others.. but if i tick them off.. One was in Garbage,, one in court reporting.. .one took a company public.. the other Japanese development family big interests in hawaii ( so that is real estate).... Tech ,,,, and other and sundry business's.
remember 08 knocked many back a few pegs myself included..
I've seen several people day it's not really retirement if you are going to manage and do the work on your rentals. I disagree. Many a month goes by when all I do is deposit rent and pay the mortgages. 30 minutes max. When we are placing a tenant, we may spend several hours doing that. And I don't mind the occasional repairs, it will give me something to do. I won't ever look at it as another job, even if and when I may spend weeks or months on a major remodel. Why would I? I'm working for myself, doing things for my immediate benefit. What's not to like?
How many units do you have? I'd think a low number to live off would be 40. More likely closer to 100 or even more. With that many units I'd expect one would be quite busy if self managing.
Lol. I guess I'm retiring on a lower budget than you. We have 10 SFRs and am working on buying 1 more. So far this month I haven't hit a lick of work.
"I've seen several people day it's not really retirement if you are going to manage"
It does not make any difference how many hours you work. You have a responsibility to do a job, that means you are not fully retired.a
Well, I'm sure not everyone agrees with your idea of what being retired is. When I leave my job, I'll consider myself retired. By your criteria, my 85 year old dad, whose been retired for 25 years isnt really retired because he does a lot of work at the church. I'm sure he disagrees with you.
I think Joe Splitrock has the right idea. Most people are probably going to need a lot more money than they think they will when they retire. If things continue to go as planned, me and my wife will make 50% more in retirement than we make now and that number will continue to grow every year. For me it not just about making money, it's a way to keep active as well. I enjoy working on houses so that way I won't get bored once I quit my regular job.
We all are ambitious if we’re on BP.. so what are your goals? What is the line where you say “this is enough for me?”
Different strokes for different folks.
My goal to give up my regular job? My lifestyle is not extravagant, so $6000-$7000/month cash flow will do for a walkaway-point. I'm about halfway there, and can realistically plan on being there in 10-18 months. I would continue to add to my portfolio after that point.
Cash flow? Includes CapEx, but not PM.
Retirement? I would actively manage and grow my portfolio, and raise my kids. Some would say that doesn't qualify as retirement. So what? I'm not looking to live by someone else's beliefs. Not going to work everyday while I'm still far away from 70 years old is good enough for me.
I'm also another guy who got started, more or less, with cash purchases. It worked for me (so far.) I'll incorporate some leveraging soon enough, but that really wasn't an option before.
Good luck to everyone with their own respective paths.
Well my military retirement will be close to $50K a year and health bills will only cost my family $3,500 (cat. cap) . This makes my situation different. With a primary home paid for at the time of retirement I could live off the $50K. For my retirement plans my real estate needs to clear another $200K a year so I can start the non-profits and ministries I desire to do. I am on track to accomplish this within 4 years at age 45.
I've seen several people day it's not really retirement if you are going to manage and do the work on your rentals. I disagree. Many a month goes by when all I do is deposit rent and pay the mortgages. 30 minutes max. When we are placing a tenant, we may spend several hours doing that. And I don't mind the occasional repairs, it will give me something to do. I won't ever look at it as another job, even if and when I may spend weeks or months on a major remodel. Why would I? I'm working for myself, doing things for my immediate benefit. What's not to like?
How many units do you have? I'd think a low number to live off would be 40. More likely closer to 100 or even more. With that many units I'd expect one would be quite busy if self managing.
Lol. I guess I'm retiring on a lower budget than you. We have 10 SFRs and am working on buying 1 more. So far this month I haven't hit a lick of work.
A lot of rentals cash low $200-300/month, so 10 usually would give a pretty low income. Unless they are paid off, but even then still wouldn't be a lot. Sounds like you jave some great properties and tenants.
For the person mentioning healthcare a change was made I believe ( cannot say for sure) that if you get catastrophic care coverage then you are compliant now. Before you had to get Obamacare or if you did not and went to another plan it didn't count.
I have business owner friends for a family of 4 pays about 275 a month for catastrophic coverage. There are also religious networks people can use sometimes.
My wife had a 3d imaging mammogram the newest thing they are using where we live and normally over 1,000 but cash pay was a little over 200 bucks!
My brother-in-law has regular healthcare and they pay through the nose for it. They pay almost 1,000 a month and then have a high deductible that restarts each year. Even when healthcare kicks in it covers 50% and that amount they have to pay is often higher than someone just paying cash.
I can pay for most things with cash I just want catastrophic to cover the big stuff minus a deductible.
For the person mentioning healthcare a change was made I believe ( cannot say for sure) that if you get catastrophic care coverage then you are compliant now. Before you had to get Obamacare or if you did not and went to another plan it didn't count.
I have business owner friends for a family of 4 pays about 275 a month for catastrophic coverage. There are also religious networks people can use sometimes.
My wife had a 3d imaging mammogram the newest thing they are using where we live and normally over 1,000 but cash pay was a little over 200 bucks!
My brother-in-law has regular healthcare and they pay through the nose for it. They pay almost 1,000 a month and then have a high deductible that restarts each year. Even when healthcare kicks in it covers 50% and that amount they have to pay is often higher than someone just paying cash.
I can pay for most things with cash I just want catastrophic to cover the big stuff minus a deductible.
Can you provide any info (e.g. ins company name) that offers that catastrophic plan?
I'e seen one of the religious 'networks' and they were cost sharing, not insurance.
I've seen several people day it's not really retirement if you are going to manage and do the work on your rentals. I disagree. Many a month goes by when all I do is deposit rent and pay the mortgages. 30 minutes max. When we are placing a tenant, we may spend several hours doing that. And I don't mind the occasional repairs, it will give me something to do. I won't ever look at it as another job, even if and when I may spend weeks or months on a major remodel. Why would I? I'm working for myself, doing things for my immediate benefit. What's not to like?
How many units do you have? I'd think a low number to live off would be 40. More likely closer to 100 or even more. With that many units I'd expect one would be quite busy if self managing.
Lol. I guess I'm retiring on a lower budget than you. We have 10 SFRs and am working on buying 1 more. So far this month I haven't hit a lick of work.
A lot of rentals cash low $200-300/month, so 10 usually would give a pretty low income. Unless they are paid off, but even then still wouldn't be a lot. Sounds like you jave some great properties and tenants.
That's about right. I'm looking at 28k or so from rentals and our total income will be about 44k. That's almost all tax free. That the equivalent of a 60k a year job. We'll be just fine.
I've seen several people day it's not really retirement if you are going to manage and do the work on your rentals. I disagree. Many a month goes by when all I do is deposit rent and pay the mortgages. 30 minutes max. When we are placing a tenant, we may spend several hours doing that. And I don't mind the occasional repairs, it will give me something to do. I won't ever look at it as another job, even if and when I may spend weeks or months on a major remodel. Why would I? I'm working for myself, doing things for my immediate benefit. What's not to like?
How many units do you have? I'd think a low number to live off would be 40. More likely closer to 100 or even more. With that many units I'd expect one would be quite busy if self managing.
Lol. I guess I'm retiring on a lower budget than you. We have 10 SFRs and am working on buying 1 more. So far this month I haven't hit a lick of work.
A lot of rentals cash low $200-300/month, so 10 usually would give a pretty low income. Unless they are paid off, but even then still wouldn't be a lot. Sounds like you jave some great properties and tenants.
That's about right. I'm looking at 28k or so from rentals and our total income will be about 44k. That's almost all tax free. That the equivalent of a 60k a year job. We'll be just fine.
I love the low cost of living in small town TX.
I've read all the replies concerning all the things that could happen in retirement to bust your budget. Honestly, these are all the same things that could happen during your working life. At some point you just have to decide if you're willing to give it a go. Like I've mentioned, our income will be about 44k a year, tax free. That's the same as a 60k a year job. We have no debt besides our rentals and a small house payment.
Our only extravagance will be travelling and our airline miles will get us there, we can rent a place for a month for less than a week in a hotel.
My wifes insurance is through her disability. I can get Obamacare for almost nothing due to our income, or I'll buy a catastrophic plan. I'm on no meds and in very good health. Sure, I could have something major happen tomorrow, but that's not going to keep me from my goal.
Lots of people are raising families on a lot less than we will have. Our kids are all grown and doing well. My parents are financially secure. Our expenses are well in line with our income and we will still be putting something in savings. We have a good sized reserve fund and put away every month for maintenance, capex and vacancies.
We've been planning this for several years and think we are well positioned for our goals.
To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
Derek I am on your team you keep at it... nothing wrong with paying cash.. most of the most successful and truly wealthy poeple investors i know have much of their real estate debt free and no other debt alltogether..
Did those people make their money in RE, or did they make it elsewhere and then just needed somewhere to park it and chose RE?
well my friends got there pretty much with everything but real estate.. but there are plenty on BP that of course have done well and others.. but if i tick them off.. One was in Garbage,, one in court reporting.. .one took a company public.. the other Japanese development family big interests in hawaii ( so that is real estate).... Tech ,,,, and other and sundry business's.
remember 08 knocked many back a few pegs myself included..
Yeah, I don't think there are a lot of people that generate huge wealth in 1 generation of RE investing.
I think you have valid points regarding the risks associated with debt. Examples of people who are already wealthy owning RE debt free doesn't really seem to relate to whether people trying to create a bit of wealth should own RE free and clear.
To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
Derek I am on your team you keep at it... nothing wrong with paying cash.. most of the most successful and truly wealthy poeple investors i know have much of their real estate debt free and no other debt alltogether..
Did those people make their money in RE, or did they make it elsewhere and then just needed somewhere to park it and chose RE?
well my friends got there pretty much with everything but real estate.. but there are plenty on BP that of course have done well and others.. but if i tick them off.. One was in Garbage,, one in court reporting.. .one took a company public.. the other Japanese development family big interests in hawaii ( so that is real estate).... Tech ,,,, and other and sundry business's.
remember 08 knocked many back a few pegs myself included..
Yeah, I don't think there are a lot of people that generate huge wealth in 1 generation of RE investing.
I think you have valid points regarding the risks associated with debt. Examples of people who are already wealthy owning RE debt free doesn't really seem to relate to whether people trying to create a bit of wealth should own RE free and clear.
I hear ya you need leverage to scale no doubt... the Hawaii friend of mine ( and I am sitting in his Ocean front condo as I type this) they made it in development.. then took those funds and paid cash for all their income property and they own a bunch.. I met them when I brokered a 5 million dollar multi in PDX to them.. I was shocked when I asked if they needed a lender referral only to be told they only pay cash.. they own malls on Maui tons of industrial in Honolulu etc etc .. also income property in Vegas they recognized vegas 5 years ago and loaded up.. but a bunch of that they just moved to the foundation..
the Garbage guy ( neighbor of mine I Napa) sold for 65 million to wastemanagement.. etc etc.. different paths but I call wealthy 20 million in cash or more..
To retire at a normal retirement age you need a income of around 70% of your gross employment income.
To retire younger your passive income will need to equal your working income and you will need to continue saving for retirement.
You would need 10X your working income invested to generate sufficient income for retirement.
"I also buy all of my homes with cash so they cash flow even more."
Buying cash flow is not the same thing as investing to generate income. To efficiently use your money to generate income for retirement you must invest it. This will actually reduce the amount of money needed to retire. Buying retirement income is not a efficient use of money, it will effectively double the amount of cash required to retire.
I've tried ignoring you but you just keep at it. I don't give a crap what YOU THINK about my investment style. Goodness gracious you have to be one of the most pompous and self loathing people I have come across on this website.
If you want to leverage all your properties then go right ahead. Stop trying to tell me how wrong you think I am for buying properties with cash.
I buy cheap homes and cash flow extremely well. I don't care what you think about how I invest. Every situation is different. Most people can see/understand that. You live in some fantasy world where everyone else is wrong unless they are doing things the way Thomas does them.
Derek I am on your team you keep at it... nothing wrong with paying cash.. most of the most successful and truly wealthy poeple investors i know have much of their real estate debt free and no other debt alltogether..
Did those people make their money in RE, or did they make it elsewhere and then just needed somewhere to park it and chose RE?
well my friends got there pretty much with everything but real estate.. but there are plenty on BP that of course have done well and others.. but if i tick them off.. One was in Garbage,, one in court reporting.. .one took a company public.. the other Japanese development family big interests in hawaii ( so that is real estate).... Tech ,,,, and other and sundry business's.
remember 08 knocked many back a few pegs myself included..
Yeah, I don't think there are a lot of people that generate huge wealth in 1 generation of RE investing.
I think you have valid points regarding the risks associated with debt. Examples of people who are already wealthy owning RE debt free doesn't really seem to relate to whether people trying to create a bit of wealth should own RE free and clear.
I hear ya you need leverage to scale no doubt... the Hawaii friend of mine ( and I am sitting in his Ocean front condo as I type this)
Living the good life! Who needs to retire when your work life is one extended vacation.
I’m an accountant and will scale back my hours when I hit $10k/month. There isn’t a monthly dollar amount where I would retire early. I enjoy my work too much to do that!
I really find it hard to believe so many on here would get more satisfaction in life from working than from all the other possibilities in life that include Not Working! Not being critical here, but it is just suprising.
I’m an accountant and will scale back my hours when I hit $10k/month. There isn’t a monthly dollar amount where I would retire early. I enjoy my work too much to do that!
I really find it hard to believe so many on here would get more satisfaction in life from working than from all the other possibilities in life that include Not Working! Not being critical here, but it is just suprising.
I agree with that. I don't enjoy my job. I kinda like most of the people I work with, but the day I walk out will probably be the last time I see any of them, other than social media. We have decided we want to see and do the tings we couldn't while we were raising our kids, and we aren't going to wait until I'm 65 to do it. My rentals will give me the occasional chore to do, I like to hunt and fish, and twice a year we will take extended trips to visit places we've been before and loved, and new places we want to discover.
Tell that to Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who have all the money in the world and continue to work.
Tell that to Warren Buffet and Bill Gates who have all the money in the world and continue to work.
Different strokes. And that's one of the reasons I'll never be a Bill Gates. That, and I'm not a genius. LOL
I'm not against work, but it's said that on their deathbed nobody ever says "I should have spent more time working."