What are your Real Estate Goals for 2011?

What are your Real Estate Goals for 2011?

Real Estate Investor · Fishers, IN · Member since 2009 · 408 posts · 196 votes

The holidays are around the corner and before we know it, it will be 2011. What are your goals for 2011? Did you accomplish your 2010 goals?

2Reply
43 views

Most Popular Reply

Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
15y

Mehran,

If I may make a suggestion, your 1st property should always be a 2-4 unit multifamily. You can get O/O rates. And THEN buy your "real" residence. You can get O/O rates for a 2nd time.

OTOH, if you buy a SFR first, you will have to cough up 25-30% down plus pay a higher interest rate on an investment property.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2010 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    Our company goals just for our assignment strategy only, not including projects that we also plan to rehab and/or buy and hold are to assign 50 contracts by the end of next year.

    Our target is 4 deals per month just for assignments.

    This month of December we already have 5 under contract that we will flip to investors looking to make larger spreads.

    All our properties are in our control with pending negotiations on another 10, so we are projecting we will have a total of about 7-9 properties under contract before the end of December.

    We are shooting for an average of making 10k per assignment. 50 deals x 10k per = $500,000 gross earnings for 2011

    We are going high volume eventhough we are not a huge company. We are leveraging all our relationships and working VERY hard.

    Those are just our goals for the assigment strategy of our operations.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    We were looking to add one more investment property to our portfolio in 2010 and it looks like we're going to miss, but just by a little. We do have an REO under contract now with a closing date sometime in January. But that still gives us most of 2011 to fulfill our goal of acquiring another property for that year.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    when looking at my goals for this year, i am very happy with how 2010 played out for me..i added several great rentals that cashflow extremely well....for 2011, i plan to continue purchasing apartments that cashflow well...i'd also like to flip more homes than i did in 2010 for immediate cash...in addition, i plan to delegate more responsibility to others and hopefully hire someone by june...2010 was spent doing way too many things that i could've paid someone to do, like dropping off appliances in apartments, putting out signs, etc. time to start treating my business, like a business!

  • Certified Public Accountant · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2008 · 279 posts · 151 votes
    15y

    2010 was a good year for me. My wife and I bought a house and we had our first child, Mabry. On the business side my rentals stayed occupied all year and had limited vacancies. We also purchased a small self storage facility with an on-site house in September. It's a fixer-upper, but was sold at a discount due to the seller being motivated by personal issues. Overall a very good 2010.

    In 2011, I'd like to finish the renovations on the self storage facility and the small house that is on the property. Also wantto get the occupancy factor above 90% on the self storage facility. Probably won't buy anything as most of my funds will go to fixing up this project and paying down some debt.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Alenky:
    2010 was spent doing way too many things that i could've paid someone to do, like dropping off appliances in apartments, putting out signs, etc. time to start treating my business, like a business!

    I don't see any problem in erring on the side of fiscal conservatism (and I'm talking business here, not politics). I would much rather roll up my sleeves and tackle some jobs just a little too much than write way too many checks.

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    15y

    I am very happy with my 2010.

    I found a lot of private money, and I bought quite a bit of paper.

    I would like to increase my net monthly cashflow by 25% and I plan on doing this via the acquisition of a small apartment building and have my note portfolio increase its net monthly income by at least 25%.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Goals for 2011:

    1. Raise $5M for our new fund and start $10M 2nd raise (2nd raise stretch goal)

    2. Reduce our debt to equity ratio in our personal portfolio to 1 and raise 20% of our long-term debt in cash (20% stretch goal)

    3. If goals 1 and 2 are done purchase another commercial portfolio property and repeat goal 2 (This whole goal = stretch goal)

    2010 was extremely chaotic and I learned a great deal. Hopefully 2011 will be less chaotic!

  • Investor · CA · Member since 2010 · 150 posts · 40 votes
    15y

    I'm hoping to get my first property, and learning from it. I did tons of research and put my time into the game, and feel that my first deal won't be a flop (I'm in contract, but am awaiting appraisal and inspections).

    I'm hoping 2011 will bring me the reserve funds I have planned, and to start the savings process of a new property with another purchase in 2012. (if I get a purchase in 2011, then I'll be ecstatic).

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    Currently I am signed up with about 30 banks and counting with direct contacts to the commercial special assets vp's and directors.My goal is to sign up with a few hundred more.

    Most distressed properties released by banks are lots and raw land for which they see no recovery followed by mom and pop type stuff.

    2011 I believe more of the bigger stuff will hit the market more frequently.

    Goal is to do at least 30 million in transactional volume on real estate deals as a broker and then purchase a few investments of my own.

    Between triple net,apartments,and bank distress deals I believe my goals are achievable.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    2010 wqs a very stabilizing year for us. We met several people who are seeking additional investments and may be able to do some business together.

    2011 will be a year fo get some advanced education on different areas of real estate investing, creative financing, lease options, notes, and anything else that pops up.

  • Real Estate Investor · Surrey, British Columbia · Member since 2010 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    I'm just beginning to invest in luxury homes and I set a goal of $500,000 in gross income for 2011.

    Chester

  • Investor · Cary, NC · Member since 2010 · 74 posts · 9 votes
    15y

    Great question!

    I think our largest are to increase our rehab and sell projects and to add administrative staff.

    We also have goals to raise commercial financing.

  • Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    -To create 6 months liquid living expenses.
    -Drop the W2 job and do real estate exclusively.
    -Complete 16 Retail Transactions.
    -Add a property to our Hold Portfolio
    -Complete our First Flip and reach for (2) next year.
    -Bring on Wife full time so she can quit her job as well.

    Have all of our "Dream Team" In place - Accountant, Attorney, General Contractor, Handyman, Insurance, Subs, Hard Money, Conventional Funds, Private Funds.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    hey mitch, i hear ya! i think i've done that enough now...i'd like to be able to use my time better to expand my business...my hope is that i have too many rental units by the end of 2011 that i have to hire someone to help collect rents...i will keep yall posted

  • Involved In Real Estate · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    15y

    My goal is to make 15 other investors dreams of purchasing multi-family apartment complexes a reality.

    [LINK REMOVED]

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Alenky:
    i'd like to be able to use my time better to expand my business...my hope is that i have too many rental units by the end of 2011 that i have to hire someone to help collect rents

    I agree with you Bryan. That is the ultimate goal... make enough money that you can AFFORD to have everything done for you. :rock:

    I'm not quite there, yet, so I still get my hands a little dirty while making sure all my cash-flow doesn't fly out the checkbook. :eyes:

    Let us know when you "arrive". :clap: :clap: :clap:

  • Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2009 · 90 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    My goal is to re-retire. The recession forced me to liquidate almost everything as I battened down the hatches. 2011 will be time to restructure for the long term or foreseeable future, and real estate will be a more prominent feature of that. I also hope to buy my own home next year, but that really depends on whether prices dip some more.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    15y

    My RE goals for 2011:

    Purchase 1st home to live in.
    Rent out spare roooms.
    Buy 1st rental property
    Find a Mentor

    Good luck to everyone on their goals as well!

  • Note Investor · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2009 · 849 posts · 544 votes
    15y

    Mehran,

    If I may make a suggestion, your 1st property should always be a 2-4 unit multifamily. You can get O/O rates. And THEN buy your "real" residence. You can get O/O rates for a 2nd time.

    OTOH, if you buy a SFR first, you will have to cough up 25-30% down plus pay a higher interest rate on an investment property.

  • Investor · Wichita Falls, TX · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 603 votes
    15y

    Solid,

    I've considered that idea but the problem is the place I need to live (SFV) is rent controlled and on top of that the cap rates are between 5 and 6 percent. I have not found a single multifamily property that even comes close to the the 50% rule etc.

    Thats why I plan on getting a SFR and then just coughing up the 25-30% and invest in a property somewhere elsewhere (maybe san jacinto/hemet or vegas who knows) when I save up enough.

    I know you're pretty close to me, what do you think?

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    gotta give this a bump...c'mon guys, who else has goals for 2011? it can be big or small...if you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

  • Real Estate Investor · Garland, TX · Member since 2010 · 86 posts · 34 votes
    15y

    I'll jump in,

    Still new to the game but my goals are as follows:

    Finish building the team, still need a few contractors and a great accountant

    Do at least two fix and flips to build cash

    buy and hold one of Duplex, triplex, quadplex or smaller apartment building (6-10 units) for cashflow and wealth building.

  • Investor · Newbury Park, CA · Member since 2010 · 80 posts · 19 votes
    15y

    To successfully complete our purchase of our 3rd sfr and get it rented out(in escrow right now). Maybe getting a 4th property.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lake Mary, FL · Member since 2010 · 35 posts · 5 votes
    15y

    My goals for 2011 is to do my first deal as a wholesaler. Steps I will be taking are, but not limited to, completing my profile, setting up my UPS address next week for mails and getting a foreclosure list for mailing.

  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    There have been a couple of these threads, but I'll share my goals here as well.

    I intend to purchase 2 commercial properties in 2011. In the process I will be selling one of my free and clear properties to do a 1031 exchange.

    This is going to be a busy year though. Besides working on my investments I expect to be expanding my business practice and will be starting a major remodel of my home.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.