Super motivated and looking to build a new career

Super motivated and looking to build a new career

Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 33 votes

I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

Some other goals of mine:

1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  

8Reply
79 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 975 votes
3y

@Matthew William Welcome to bigger pockets! You're in the right place to learn about real estate investing. Here's what I recommend:

1. Educate yourself! Personally I like books and podcasts, but theres a ton of youtube content out there as well. You can do most of your education for free or nearly free (cost of books) so don't spend any money on courses right now. Once you're ready to niche down, then courses may be appropriate for you. I'm happy to recommend my favorite books and podcasts. 

2. Network! Start going to as many local meetups as you can. Connecting with others in real estate is the secret sauce of real estate investing. Every future deal you do will likely be the result of a relationship you have with someone else. Seek to provide value to others first! Don't be a net-taker. 

3. Give back! Once you're a successful real estate investor, (you will be) you should give back to others. Help them along their journey without expecting anything in return. 

Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    welcome! if i can be a resource, im definitely open to connecting

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Why the RE license? Are you trying to be an agent or an investor? Big difference in those career paths....and a license is definitely not necessary to be an investor. Neither is a Contractors License. But learning the skillsets of both would be a huge asset for a beginner like you.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southern Maryland · Member since 2021 · 22 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Congrats on starting the journey! I'm relatively new(3 years) as well and honestly, getting my real estate license was the best choice I've made. 

    While a lot of people focus on the cost it could save in commission, I feel the biggest asset is that your immersed in the field you're trying to invest into. 

    My learning curve is not nearly as steep as it could have been and I'm able to build up capital to use on my next deals through my real estate commissions. 

    Congrats again on getting started and if you need any help or advice just let me know!

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    3y

    Welcome! I invest, lend and am located in Ohio (about an hour south of Cleveland). Happy to connect if I can be of assistance. 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:

    I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

    Some other goals of mine:

    1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

    2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

    I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  


     I would recommend getting your real estate license here in Ohio. That is what I did after I had 10 doors

  • Accountant · McKinney, TX · Member since 2023 · 394 posts · 580 votes
    3y

    Welcome!  The best advice I can give is to plan properly and write things down.  Identify the professionals you need to surround yourself with and get systems and processes in place.  Try to work on your business (that won't happen immediately) rather than in it and leverage solid people.  The best business owners are ones that probably know there are others smarter or more experienced than them and they make them part of the team.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 427 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    Columbus has a large network of real estate professionals- capitalize on that. Continue using BP forums and try and attend local REI meetups.

    For licensing in Ohio, I'd recommend Davis College. 

    https://www.daviscollege.edu/p... 

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 975 votes
    3y

    @Matthew William Welcome to bigger pockets! You're in the right place to learn about real estate investing. Here's what I recommend:

    1. Educate yourself! Personally I like books and podcasts, but theres a ton of youtube content out there as well. You can do most of your education for free or nearly free (cost of books) so don't spend any money on courses right now. Once you're ready to niche down, then courses may be appropriate for you. I'm happy to recommend my favorite books and podcasts. 

    2. Network! Start going to as many local meetups as you can. Connecting with others in real estate is the secret sauce of real estate investing. Every future deal you do will likely be the result of a relationship you have with someone else. Seek to provide value to others first! Don't be a net-taker. 

    3. Give back! Once you're a successful real estate investor, (you will be) you should give back to others. Help them along their journey without expecting anything in return. 

    Good luck and keep us updated on your journey!

  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

    welcome! if i can be a resource, im definitely open to connecting

    Appreciated!  Are you a private investor or with a company?
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Why the RE license? Are you trying to be an agent or an investor? Big difference in those career paths....and a license is definitely not necessary to be an investor. Neither is a Contractors License. But learning the skillsets of both would be a huge asset for a beginner like you.

    Looking to have as many skill sets as I can.  Is one better then the other? 
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    Welcome! I invest, lend and am located in Ohio (about an hour south of Cleveland). Happy to connect if I can be of assistance. 

    What’s the best way to work into my first invest as a newbie? 
  • Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 33 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Columbus has a large network of real estate professionals- capitalize on that. Continue using BP forums and try and attend local REI meetups.

    For licensing in Ohio, I'd recommend Davis College. 

    https://www.daviscollege.edu/p... 

    Great!  Is that the average cost of licensure? 
  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 427 posts · 254 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:
    Quote from @Account Closed:

    Columbus has a large network of real estate professionals- capitalize on that. Continue using BP forums and try and attend local REI meetups.

    For licensing in Ohio, I'd recommend Davis College. 

    https://www.daviscollege.edu/p... 

    Great!  Is that the average cost of licensure? 
    They are the cheapest option I found in Ohio, plus it is all online, including the final examination (which is proctored online).
  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:

    I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

    Some other goals of mine:

    1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

    2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

    I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  


    Hey Matthew, super excited for you man! That's an awesome start and you sound like you got a great head on your shoulders. I definitely agree with the route of getting your real estate license. I did the opposite - I became a full time real estate investor first THEN I got my license. I honestly feel like being an investor first helped so much because learning how to BRRRR and flip and use hard money and private money and buying houses myself, gives me such a huge competitive advantage over other agents. Also, I work specifically with a lot of investor clients and they trust me with reviewing their deals, estimating renovation budgets, referring GCs, etc. because of my prior investor background. As a local investor and agent here in Columbus Ohio, I'd love to answer any questions you have or connect!

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:
    Quote from @Brittany Minocchi:

    Welcome! I invest, lend and am located in Ohio (about an hour south of Cleveland). Happy to connect if I can be of assistance. 

    What’s the best way to work into my first invest as a newbie? 
    I'd consider the following to start:

    Are you focusing on appreciation, cash flow, or both?

    Are you planning to fix and flip or buy and hold? If buy and hold - short term or long term rentals?

    Single family or multi-family? 

    Will you be using your own money to fund your deals or OPM? If OPM, will it come in the form of private money, hard money, a conventional loan, or a nonQM loan? 

    Is your credit currently at a place that puts you in a position for a great rate and terms, or are there things you could work on? 

    Do you have boots-on-the ground and/or a person or team of people you can count on, especially if you end up investing out of state? 

    Are you planning to manage yourself or hire a property manager? 
    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 664 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:

    I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

    Some other goals of mine:

    1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

    2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

    I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  


     Welcome to BP and that's great you're so excited about your career! I started by getting my license as well in 2016. Being an investor and an agent goes hand and hand. So you are heading down the right path the way I see it

  • Hamp Lee IIIPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 832 votes
    3y

    Welcome to BiggerPockets!

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:

    I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

    Some other goals of mine:

    1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

    2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

    I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  


    Hi Matthew, welcome to BP!

    Firstly, I would say getting a mentor is a good start. I am a part of a great brokerage where each person that comes in has to be mentored. This really helps the agents get a good foundation and support. Before I even became an agent I had a mentor and he really guided me in buying my first property as well as how to grow my business.

    I would say Ohio is a fantastic place to invest because: 

    Columbus is great for appreciation, purchase price is a bit higher around $220k for multifamily https://learn.roofstock.com/blog/columbus-oh-real-estate-market

    Cincinnati has a mix of cash flow and appreciation, average multifamily around $180k. https://www.noradarealestate.com/blog/cincinnati-real-estate-market/

    Cleveland has a lot of cash flow potential, average multifamily is around $140k. https://learn.roofstock.com/blog/cleveland-real-estate-market



  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:

    I am new to the real estate space and am first and foremost looking to network.  I am very motivated, don't mind hustling, and can work as many hours as it takes.  Open to finding agents, investors, lenders, etc to help build and become success.  

    Some other goals of mine:

    1.  Looking to invest in properties, ideally starting on the residential side but open to commercial.  I am currently in Ohio but open to all states.  I can invest solely, or jointly.  What should I look for to avoid investment scams or pitfalls?

    2.  Open to getting my real estate agent license.  Once obtained I'd be open to joining a team, or finding a mentor to help me gain an understanding of the market, being an agent, etc.

    I understand that as a newbie in the space, it may take time to see growth and want to manage expectations.  However, I know with research, education, network, training, and putting in the time growth sooner rather then later may be possible.  


     Welcome! Excited to have you here! If you have questions about Greater Cincinnati, let me know!

    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:
    Quote from @Kerry Noble Jr:

    welcome! if i can be a resource, im definitely open to connecting

    Appreciated!  Are you a private investor or with a company?

     Private.....its just me

  • Real Estate Agent · Wilmington, NC · Member since 2021 · 166 posts · 116 votes
    3y

    I was in a very similar position to you, with similar goals as well. I chose to get my license so I could spend 100% of my time fully involved in some sort of real estate. For me, it has opened up tremendous opportunities I do not regret it in the slightest. When people say you don't NEED a license to invest, they're absolutely right. But I can promise if you are motivated to succeed, it's certainly not going to hurt. You will be able to build relationships with other investors, and also have access to a lot more tools and off market properties.

  • Realtor · Ogden, UT · Member since 2019 · 338 posts · 415 votes
    3y

    I would strongly recommend reading Scott Trench's Set For Life.  He walks you through the process to saving $25k and then taking a leap into a sales career that can 2x or 3x your income.  Then, with slashed living expenses and a huge income, you'll be on the path to be "set for life" really quickly.

    Good luck!

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Blake Novotney:

    I was in a very similar position to you, with similar goals as well. I chose to get my license so I could spend 100% of my time fully involved in some sort of real estate. For me, it has opened up tremendous opportunities I do not regret it in the slightest. When people say you don't NEED a license to invest, they're absolutely right. But I can promise if you are motivated to succeed, it's certainly not going to hurt. You will be able to build relationships with other investors, and also have access to a lot more tools and off market properties.


     I agree...although I said it is not necessary, it is still a valuable tool. In a perfect world, a newbie investor would have a RE license AND a GC (B1) license.....both will teach a lot in the process of acquiring them, and both will open a lot of doors down the road.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Matthew William:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Why the RE license? Are you trying to be an agent or an investor? Big difference in those career paths....and a license is definitely not necessary to be an investor. Neither is a Contractors License. But learning the skillsets of both would be a huge asset for a beginner like you.

    Looking to have as many skill sets as I can.  Is one better then the other? 

    IMHO, you really don't need wither license, and a GC license is waaay harder to get. But you do need the knowledge that comes with the license(s) and you can get that by taking the courses. Also just dive into the businesses....volunteer at a RE office on weekends.....volunteer at a construction jobsite to do clean-up or weekend security, etc....

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    Having an experienced team around you is essential in the real estate world, as it can help you make informed decisions and maximize returns. That said, investing in yourself is just as important. Taking the time to educate yourself about the market, develop strong communication skills and stay on top of trends are all vital steps towards success. With solid preparation and knowledge, combined with a network of trusted professionals, you can be sure that your business will benefit from being run by a capable owner. With determination and smart planning, there is no limit to what you can achieve! Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.