How to Find Rental Properties in Michigan?

How to Find Rental Properties in Michigan?

New to Real Estate · Grosse Pointe · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 5 votes

I am currently undergoing my studies in real estate; I have minimal experience in the real-life environment of real estate but I'm passionate about the industry and want to pursue it full time in the future. I have read multiple books on the topic as well as countless videos and decided that it was time to move towards taking action and begin to truly analyze deals and get serious. However, when I went to look for multifamily properties in the Michigan area, I was distressed to come to the realization that a multifamily deal outside of Detroit seemed near impossible to find. If anyone could share how to find multifamily properties it would be much appreciated. Mailers? Agents? Door Knocking? Any tried and tested advice is again, much appreciated.

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael SmytheBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
3y

@James Valice you need to build your network, so they present to you off-market deals and deals before they get listed.

Besides Renegades Detroit, you should also attend MREI, Oakland REIA and join FB Metro Detroit RE Investors.

Your network will directly affect your net worth!

Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    James, I see you're in GP... what city's are you wanting to purchase in? Also, are you looking at duplexes or something larger?

    I live in California but have 12-doors in Detroit. Two are duplexes and they've all been great investments for me. I got started in 2019.

    I'm actually in Detroit right now until this afternoon checking on projects.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Valice:

    I am currently undergoing my studies in real estate; I have minimal experience in the real-life environment of real estate but I'm passionate about the industry and want to pursue it full time in the future. I have read multiple books on the topic as well as countless videos and decided that it was time to move towards taking action and begin to truly analyze deals and get serious. However, when I went to look for multifamily properties in the Michigan area, I was distressed to come to the realization that a multifamily deal outside of Detroit seemed near impossible to find. If anyone could share how to find multifamily properties it would be much appreciated. Mailers? Agents? Door Knocking? Any tried and tested advice is again, much appreciated.


     Local forums and RE groups, there will be deals there, All off market. You need to cash however to get the great deals

    All the best . 

  • New to Real Estate · Grosse Pointe · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    James, I see you're in GP... what city's are you wanting to purchase in? Also, are you looking at duplexes or something larger?

    I live in California but have 12-doors in Detroit. Two are duplexes and they've all been great investments for me. I got started in 2019.

    I'm actually in Detroit right now until this afternoon checking on projects.

    Hi Travis, I am looking to invest in multifamily properties ranging from a duplex to triplex, since I am relatively new to the business. I have heard from other investors that areas such as Ferndale, Allen Park, and Detroit have potential for development and appreciation in the future so those are definitely points of interest. Wow! Congrats on your success in Detroit, glad all your investments are running steady. I would be more than happy to help you with anything you need whilst you are in Detroit! I can put up signs for you, make cold calls, as well as help you with the tenant screening process for your properties if you would like. Thanks again for reaching out and responding, I appreciate it.
  • New to Real Estate · Grosse Pointe · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bob S.:
    Quote from @James Valice:

    I am currently undergoing my studies in real estate; I have minimal experience in the real-life environment of real estate but I'm passionate about the industry and want to pursue it full time in the future. I have read multiple books on the topic as well as countless videos and decided that it was time to move towards taking action and begin to truly analyze deals and get serious. However, when I went to look for multifamily properties in the Michigan area, I was distressed to come to the realization that a multifamily deal outside of Detroit seemed near impossible to find. If anyone could share how to find multifamily properties it would be much appreciated. Mailers? Agents? Door Knocking? Any tried and tested advice is again, much appreciated.


     Local forums and RE groups, there will be deals there, All off market. You need to cash however to get the great deals

    All the best . 

    Thanks Bob, I am currently in the process of building capital right now. However, since I am relatively young, I am unsure how I will submit decent offers due to probable financing contingences I will need to protect myself. Is there any advice you could give a young guy like me on how to navigate through this hurdle? 
  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @James Valice:
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    James, I see you're in GP... what city's are you wanting to purchase in? Also, are you looking at duplexes or something larger?

    I live in California but have 12-doors in Detroit. Two are duplexes and they've all been great investments for me. I got started in 2019.

    I'm actually in Detroit right now until this afternoon checking on projects.

    Hi Travis, I am looking to invest in multifamily properties ranging from a duplex to triplex, since I am relatively new to the business. I have heard from other investors that areas such as Ferndale, Allen Park, and Detroit have potential for development and appreciation in the future so those are definitely points of interest. Wow! Congrats on your success in Detroit, glad all your investments are running steady. I would be more than happy to help you with anything you need whilst you are in Detroit! I can put up signs for you, make cold calls, as well as help you with the tenant screening process for your properties if you would like. Thanks again for reaching out and responding, I appreciate it.

     Thanks James, I have a really strong team in place here so we're pretty set on those fronts. I would echo Bob's advice though... there's a great monthly meetup I highly recommend. Looks up the Detroit Renegade Investors and attend their meetings each month. It's a great mix of newbies and experienced folks.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @James Valice you need to build your network, so they present to you off-market deals and deals before they get listed.

    Besides Renegades Detroit, you should also attend MREI, Oakland REIA and join FB Metro Detroit RE Investors.

    Your network will directly affect your net worth!

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @James Valice ....

    Your network will directly affect your net worth!


     ()-->Your network will directly affect your net worth!<<--()

  • New to Real Estate · Grosse Pointe · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:
    Quote from @James Valice:
    Quote from @Travis Biziorek:

    James, I see you're in GP... what city's are you wanting to purchase in? Also, are you looking at duplexes or something larger?

    I live in California but have 12-doors in Detroit. Two are duplexes and they've all been great investments for me. I got started in 2019.

    I'm actually in Detroit right now until this afternoon checking on projects.

    Hi Travis, I am looking to invest in multifamily properties ranging from a duplex to triplex, since I am relatively new to the business. I have heard from other investors that areas such as Ferndale, Allen Park, and Detroit have potential for development and appreciation in the future so those are definitely points of interest. Wow! Congrats on your success in Detroit, glad all your investments are running steady. I would be more than happy to help you with anything you need whilst you are in Detroit! I can put up signs for you, make cold calls, as well as help you with the tenant screening process for your properties if you would like. Thanks again for reaching out and responding, I appreciate it.

     Thanks James, I have a really strong team in place here so we're pretty set on those fronts. I would echo Bob's advice though... there's a great monthly meetup I highly recommend. Looks up the Detroit Renegade Investors and attend their meetings each month. It's a great mix of newbies and experienced folks.

    Thank you for sharing, I will definitely join the Detroit Renegade Investors group.
  • New to Real Estate · Grosse Pointe · Member since 2023 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Smythe:

    @James Valice you need to build your network, so they present to you off-market deals and deals before they get listed.

    Besides Renegades Detroit, you should also attend MREI, Oakland REIA and join FB Metro Detroit RE Investors.

    Your network will directly affect your net worth!


    Thank you, Micheal. I really appreciate all the reference groups you just shared; I will definitely check them out!

  • Investor · Cincinnati/Fort Thomas, KY · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 183 votes
    3y

    @James Valice

    Join the meetups and local real estate investor associations. You will be able to network, get deals, find mentors, contractors and partners.

    In this business, your network truly equals your net worth.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.