What's the worst advice you've ever received?

What's the worst advice you've ever received?

Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes

So in taking a break from the seriousness of real estate, what's the worst advice you've ever received (or seen if it wasn't directly to you) and where did you get it? No need to name names unless you are referring to someone who is in the public eye (they wrote a book or something). I expect some of you will think some of the advice you read in this thread isn't the worst (or even bad). Everyone has their own comfort level. I slapped this in the Starting Out section because I feel the people new to real estate would receive the most benefit from a thread like this.

To get you started, here are a few I've seen:
You don't need an entity for your investments, umbrella insurance is all you need - Right here on Bigger Pockets
You don't need umbrella insurance, all you need is an entity (LLC) - Again, here on bigger pockets
Negative cash flow is ok as long as (I'll stop here because I've seen about 10 "as long as" statements :) - Almost everywhere.
Borrow money from a credit card or 401k to fund your real estate - Lots of places (Quick note: In the right circumstances, I don't think this is necessarily bad advice but for the general public, I believe it is).

I have lots more but that should get you started. I'll chime in with more as the thread drives on.

0Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
12y

"Money doesn't buy happiness."

Sure, then let me have all of your money.

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2013 · 465 posts · 170 votes
    12y
    Don't try Worst advice ever
  • Investor/Realtor · Hoover, AL · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 459 votes
    12y

    1. OHHHH, so you're doing the Real Estate thang!--- I really didn't know how to take this one

    2. It's a hobby----well it's one that I enjoy and it pays..

    3. Tenants will not pay rent..---maybe 5% won't but 95% do and on time for many years...wow!

    Watch out for naysayers!!.. Keep it moving!!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    My Wife!

    If she likes a house she falls in love with it and has to have it no matter what shape its in!

    Luckly she doesn't put up much fight lol

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    "You need to stop that...no one is ever going to pay you to drive around looking at houses" - An Ex...obviously.

    "But you just bought a house a couple of months ago...you need to wait at least another year" - An Ex-Real Estate agent.

    "Don't put your houses on S8...they'll just tear it up" - A non-investor. By the way my S8 tenants are some of my better tenants.

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    @Ann Watkins I like the second one! heard that from many people!

    I need to check out S8. haven't done that yet. hear its solid money.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    On my first rental my mortgage broker convinced me to do 25% down instead of 20% down because it saved me like an 1/8 of a percentage point.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    "Money doesn't buy happiness."

    Sure, then let me have all of your money.

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bobby Beard:
    @Ann Watkins I like the second one! heard that from many people!

    I need to check out S8. haven't done that yet. hear its solid money.

    Indeed it is...you put a good not great tenant in a great property and they will stay for years. Yeah from time to time I've had to replace mini-blinds, door locks, broken windows, and every year it seemed like for a while smoke alarms...but I'm talking same tenant for 7 years and another tenant going into her 5th year.

    One thing I do is I always put my S8 on the MLS. Reason being when you're showing comps for what your home leased for should you get ready to sale it, you can show how your property produced income vs. other rentals which were private pay. S8 tends to be higher than fair market rent. Don't ask me why, it's the government...and wouldn't you know I never argue with that one!

    They want to pay me $1300 when everyone is getting $1000...who am I to disagree...right?

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    "Money doesn't buy happiness."

    Sure, then let me have all of your money.

    I like this one. I've always said, just give me the chance to prove that money can't make me happy :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    I agree @Ann Watkins

    i take it they set the rent? what if its less then your asking?

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Bobby Beard:
    I agree @Ann Watkins

    i take it they set the rent? what if its less then your asking?

    Then they don't qualify. I've rarely had this happen.

    But...BUT....when I post my listing, I have on occasion had a realtor bring his/her client saying I know you want $1300 but their voucher is for $1250. At which point I do the math. If they are solid and have the full deposit I may take it. But usually it's just the opposite, I want $1250 they have a voucher for $1350 but keep hearing "no section 8" from other landlords. That is actually how I've grown my rents through the years. The next time I list it, it's for $1300 or $1350.

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    12y

    Thank you @Ann Watkins great info!!!!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 481 posts · 189 votes
    12y

    put your money into the CD

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    "Money doesn't buy happiness."

    Lets be Honest folks........It does.

    Also

    worst advice is "sleep on it"

    best advice is "Real Estate doesn't sleep"

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 218 votes
    12y

    "You can't get a loan in the name of the LLC, you need to change the title back to your name, we can do the loan, then you can put the title back in the LLC after".

    Yeah because that doesn't break the veil of liability. Hmm.. Mortgage Brokers acting as attorneys!

    --

    There was a "mentor" here in Chicago that told you to "calculate your expenses to live and work for 6 months. Borrow that amount, unsecured, at a high rate of interest (15-20%) from a private lender. Quit your job because with my teaching you will easily pay that back and make money in 6 months". Most of the "borrowers" were broke, no deals or bad deals, and their family now didn't have benefits. And the lenders were out the money with no security. Yes both sides were his students. The fact people believed this advice shows that P.T. Barnum was 100% correct about suckers.

    --

    But the best thing is when someone says "I can't do that", well not only do I do it, I love to prove them wrong and laugh at them when I accomplish it and they are still there hating what they do and being negative.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Montreal, Quebec · Member since 2008 · 2 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    to save my money and not take any chances,,,....lol

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 108 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    Worst Advice :

    Don't buy out of state, major PITA.

    Best Advice:

    "Just Do It" - Nike.

  • Rental Property Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2011 · 111 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    "Real estate always goes up in value."

    Not that I took the advice, but I heard it many times! Funny, I don't hear that so much these days.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2013 · 61 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    Minh L. I've heard this too from someone filthy stinking poor. Lol. Also, someone told me to not take risks and I truly believe they meant it. Lol. I like to think that radical risks can lead to radical success or radical failure, but radical success can lead to radical freedom.
  • Alex CraigBusiness Member
    Real Estate Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    By a house on our 0% interest credit card then refinance it. Did that in 2007, went to refinance the home and the lender told me, "your credit card is maxed out, pay that off and we will do the loan."

  • Real Estate Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Ann Watkins I see you do S8 is it usually easy to occupy your places if a tenant moves out?

  • Real Estate Broker · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 187 posts · 111 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Brennan Burke:
    @Ann Watkins I see you do S8 is it usually easy to occupy your places if a tenant moves out?

    Yes it actually is. I always list my property once the current tenant gives me a 30 day notice.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Another bad advice is "Don't invest in real estate." And then they go on and give me a list of horrible tenant, plumbing, and litigation stories.......

    I thank god for those individuals. Because of their thinking, I have less competition.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2013 · 866 posts · 487 votes
    12y

    There is so much bad advice out there and on this site; it is hard to pick just a few...

    1. You need an entity before you start buying real estate.
    2. Entities protect you from personal liability.
    3. You don't need a lawyer (or CPA), you can use off the shelf forms from Staples or such and such guru for that.
    4. Stay out of the stock market.
    5. Stay out of real estate.
    6. Stay out of lending.
    7. Stay out of angel investing and venture capital.
    8. Quit your day job and focus on making your investing your job.
    9. Keep your day job and forget about that investing nonsense.
    10. Follow Kiyosaki's investing and financial model.

    It goes on and on and on.

    Take all advice given you and filter it using your personal experience and goals. Use what helps, toss away what doesn't and get a good laugh once in a while as you follow your own path.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 451 posts · 96 votes
    12y

    "I wouldn't do that you ain't gonna make any money till you fix it up" Duh really? Then he ended it up with "let me hold $6 and ill pic you up some stuff when I get my link"

    I wasn't truly looking for his advice I was hoping he'd show some initiative and ask to help out for a few bucks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.