Which city in Ohio to start out?

Which city in Ohio to start out?

Investor · bucks County PA · Member since 2020 · 29 posts · 17 votes

I was looking into SFH or small Multifamily and have been looking into Philadelphia and it seems not so Landlord friendly per the (landlord tenant laws and asking around) Many areas are over priced (i.e. Center City) and other areas are war zones. There isn't much cash flow in Bucks County PA from what I see and some of the fringe areas have a flat population with little growth. NJ comes with its own issues. I have seen many mention OHIO specifically Columbus. Looks like at least 24 major corporate headquarters there and lots of different industries (universities, government, Hospitals etc) I want to do a deep dive into Columbus but want to see what you all think about other Cities in Ohio like Cincinnati. I understand that location is super nuanced, but before delving in on a micro scale I wanted to know what the big overall picture is in your Opinion! Thank you so much!

9Reply
68 views

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Yechiel W.:

I was looking into SFH or small Multifamily and have been looking into Philadelphia and it seems not so Landlord friendly per the (landlord tenant laws and asking around) Many areas are over priced (i.e. Center City) and other areas are war zones. There isn't much cash flow in Bucks County PA from what I see and some of the fringe areas have a flat population with little growth. NJ comes with its own issues. I have seen many mention OHIO specifically Columbus. Looks like at least 24 major corporate headquarters there and lots of different industries (universities, government, Hospitals etc) I want to do a deep dive into Columbus but want to see what you all think about other Cities in Ohio like Cincinnati. I understand that location is super nuanced, but before delving in on a micro scale I wanted to know what the big overall picture is in your Opinion! Thank you so much!


 I like Cleveland as well. Columbus, Ohio has seen a rapid growth in jobs and population. Cleveland is amazing for cash flow.

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Taz Zettergren:

    I prefer to invest south of the mason dixon line for a few reasons but the main one is it's local to me. The winters aren't as harsh down here and the price points/landlord laws are also friendly but I've heard great things about Ohio! @Engelo Rumora is an expert on/in Ohio and has been in the business quite a long time. 


     Other Ohio investors can pee their name in the snow but Engelo can pee his name in the concrete.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis, TN · Member since 2019 · 365 posts · 264 votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Taz Zettergren:

    I prefer to invest south of the mason dixon line for a few reasons but the main one is it's local to me. The winters aren't as harsh down here and the price points/landlord laws are also friendly but I've heard great things about Ohio! @Engelo Rumora is an expert on/in Ohio and has been in the business quite a long time. 


     Other Ohio investors can pee their name in the snow but Engelo can pee his name in the concrete.

    lol or @James Wise! I'm still new to the platform so learning everybody as I go. Just looked you up and that first video on the youtube channel is great literally laughing out loud still! Love the sense of humor

  • Dave SpoonerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2020 · 869 posts · 823 votes
    2y

    I would check out Columbus for its opportunities. Ton of growth there especially for STR.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Taz Zettergren:

    I prefer to invest south of the mason dixon line for a few reasons but the main one is it's local to me. The winters aren't as harsh down here and the price points/landlord laws are also friendly but I've heard great things about Ohio! @Engelo Rumora is an expert on/in Ohio and has been in the business quite a long time. 


     Other Ohio investors can pee their name in the snow but Engelo can pee his name in the concrete.


    When I grow up, I want to be like James.

    Rumors around Ohio circulate that James once killed 2 stones with 1 bird and when he crunches numbers on deals he is known to be the only one that can divide ZERO.

    I also heard that James makes onion's cry and uses pepper spray to spice up his steaks haha

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Engelo Rumora:
    Quote from @James Wise:
    Quote from @Taz Zettergren:

    I prefer to invest south of the mason dixon line for a few reasons but the main one is it's local to me. The winters aren't as harsh down here and the price points/landlord laws are also friendly but I've heard great things about Ohio! @Engelo Rumora is an expert on/in Ohio and has been in the business quite a long time. 


     Other Ohio investors can pee their name in the snow but Engelo can pee his name in the concrete.


    When I grow up, I want to be like James.

    Rumors around Ohio circulate that James once killed 2 stones with 1 bird and when he crunches numbers on deals he is known to be the only one that can divide ZERO.

    I also heard that James makes onion's cry and uses pepper spray to spice up his steaks haha


     Pepper Spray on the steaks....I like that one. I'm gonna steal that one.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 292 posts · 364 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Yechiel W.:

    I was looking into SFH or small Multifamily and have been looking into Philadelphia and it seems not so Landlord friendly per the (landlord tenant laws and asking around) Many areas are over priced (i.e. Center City) and other areas are war zones. There isn't much cash flow in Bucks County PA from what I see and some of the fringe areas have a flat population with little growth. NJ comes with its own issues. I have seen many mention OHIO specifically Columbus. Looks like at least 24 major corporate headquarters there and lots of different industries (universities, government, Hospitals etc) I want to do a deep dive into Columbus but want to see what you all think about other Cities in Ohio like Cincinnati. I understand that location is super nuanced, but before delving in on a micro scale I wanted to know what the big overall picture is in your Opinion! Thank you so much!

    Hey Yechiel! Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Columbus indeed offers promising opportunities for real estate investment, given its diverse industries and steady population growth. As an investor based in Columbus, I've witnessed firsthand the favorable market conditions here. Let's connect!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.