Real Estate Investing Tax advisors

Real Estate Investing Tax advisors

Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 6 votes

Looking for real estate focused tax advisors for new investors, someone who will take time to explain and advise benefits, best practices and any areas of concern in real estate investing based on our current financial portfolio.  Location in Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Durham, North Carolina area. Thank You.

3Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
2y

@Rebecca Busch - Finding a RE specialized tax advisor is not an easy undertaking. I know some folks who use Hall CPA out of Raleigh. They only work with RE investors. The folks I know who work with them seem happy, but I know you have to pay for their strategic planning before they will onboard you as a client. The plan is something you can purchase and then use with another advisor as well. 

If you get involved with local real estate groups like NCREIA or TREIA they may have vendors that they refer or CPAs that you can connect with at those groups. TREIA has a vendor event on the 14th at NC State. I have not seen a vendor list but it may be a good place to go ... i'm planning to attend. 

Ultimately if you are really looking for someone entry level, then I would call CPAs and try to find one that personally owns several rental properties. They are more likely to know the ins and outs better than a CPA who advises on real estate but hasn't ever invested personally. 

Best of luck! If you come up with a good name be sure to share it with the group! I am sure there are tons of folks out there looking for a CPA. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · NC · Member since 2023 · 123 posts · 163 votes
    2y

    Hi @Rebecca Busch I am local to NC and we offer basic courses on real estate taxes. Are you looking for in person courses? Im also looking for real estate meet up groups in the area to join if you know of any good ones!

    But to be fair there are several tax professionals on bigger pockets who would be able to help if you are willing to work remotely. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    Thank you Kelly for your reply. Much appreciated.

    We are seeking a tax professional who can help us locally, as well as, be available virtually with specific investing questions and guidance. At this time we are not looking into courses, but, will keep your name in mind if we do. 

  • Cory J ThorntonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2021 · 240 posts · 281 votes
    2y

    @Rebecca Busch - Finding a RE specialized tax advisor is not an easy undertaking. I know some folks who use Hall CPA out of Raleigh. They only work with RE investors. The folks I know who work with them seem happy, but I know you have to pay for their strategic planning before they will onboard you as a client. The plan is something you can purchase and then use with another advisor as well. 

    If you get involved with local real estate groups like NCREIA or TREIA they may have vendors that they refer or CPAs that you can connect with at those groups. TREIA has a vendor event on the 14th at NC State. I have not seen a vendor list but it may be a good place to go ... i'm planning to attend. 

    Ultimately if you are really looking for someone entry level, then I would call CPAs and try to find one that personally owns several rental properties. They are more likely to know the ins and outs better than a CPA who advises on real estate but hasn't ever invested personally. 

    Best of luck! If you come up with a good name be sure to share it with the group! I am sure there are tons of folks out there looking for a CPA. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2024 · 3 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    @Cory J Thornton- Thank you for the tips and the heads up regarding the vendor event. I will  share any knowledgable CPA's that I may come across! 

  • Accountant · Bryn Mawr, PA · Member since 2023 · 409 posts · 321 votes
    2y

    @Rebecca Busch

    Not an easy task to find a great real estate centric tax advisor and certainly won't be cheap.

    Jon Bock, CPA/PFS

  • Nate MeekerBusiness Member
    Real Estate CPA | California · Member since 2020 · 543 posts · 251 votes
    2y

    @Rebecca Busch as some others on here have mentioned, are you willing to hire a remote CPA? I have found that it is much more beneficial to hire a CPA that is highly qualified in real estate rather than one locally. 

    If I were you, I would have a conversation with a few REI CPAs and then select the one that will best support your REI goals, regardless of their location.

    Happy tax season!

    The CPA Realtor 569 Reviews
  • Bill HamptonBusiness Member
    Accredited Investment Fiduciary, AIF®, Financial Planner, Tax Strategist, Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 977 votes
    2y

    @Rebecca Busch

    I recommend finding a tax strategist that specializes in real estate taxation. You may want to consider working with your tax strategist remotely to expand your options.

    I would also recommend looking for a tax strategist who is willing to work with you throughout the year, not just when preparing your tax return. You want an accountant that can help you strategize and who is responsive when you want to know the tax consequences of the decisions you are making throughout the year.

    Good luck in your search.

    Hampton Tax and Financial Services LLC4.7106 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.