Starting out in Temple TX

Starting out in Temple TX

Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 10 votes

Hi everyone, I'm about to start investing in Texas and I'm leaning towards focussing on the Temple/Belton area. I might start with a Duplex for LTR and then add 2 SF for MTR close to the hospital in Temple. I'd probably have sufficient funds available to add either another Duplex or 2 more SF later this year. 

Does anyone currently have duplexes in Temple and how are they renting? Same for SF and MTR in Temple? 

I'd love to connect if anyone is following this strategy in the Temple/Belton area.

1Reply
111 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
2y

Floris,

I just sent you a DM about a property that might fit your criteria. 

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lawrence BriggsPro Member
    Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2020 · 366 posts · 377 votes
    2y

    @Floris V. , thank you for your post! Currently, I reside and invest in Central Texas too -Fort Cavazos/Copperas Cove area! All of my properties are single family homes, but I'm happy to connect with you since we're in the same area! 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    Floris,

    I just sent you a DM about a property that might fit your criteria. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    2y

    I’m actually looking to get started investing in Temple/Belton area. I currently own properties in West Texas but I live in the Austin area and want to buy closer to home. Currently looking for a fix and flip to get started in the Temple area. Let me know if you’d like to connect.

  • Robin SimonBusiness Member
    Lender · Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Floris V.:

    Hi everyone, I'm about to start investing in Texas and I'm leaning towards focussing on the Temple/Belton area. I might start with a Duplex for LTR and then add 2 SF for MTR close to the hospital in Temple. I'd probably have sufficient funds available to add either another Duplex or 2 more SF later this year. 

    Does anyone currently have duplexes in Temple and how are they renting? Same for SF and MTR in Temple? 

    I'd love to connect if anyone is following this strategy in the Temple/Belton area.


     Welcome to BP - lots of great investors and opportunities here in Central Texas!

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Floris V.:

    Hi everyone, I'm about to start investing in Texas and I'm leaning towards focussing on the Temple/Belton area. I might start with a Duplex for LTR and then add 2 SF for MTR close to the hospital in Temple. I'd probably have sufficient funds available to add either another Duplex or 2 more SF later this year. 

    Does anyone currently have duplexes in Temple and how are they renting? Same for SF and MTR in Temple? 

    I'd love to connect if anyone is following this strategy in the Temple/Belton area.


     I have a friend with quite a few in the area and demand is down slightly but they're renting well

  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jordan Moorhead:
    Quote from @Floris V.:

    Hi everyone, I'm about to start investing in Texas and I'm leaning towards focussing on the Temple/Belton area. I might start with a Duplex for LTR and then add 2 SF for MTR close to the hospital in Temple. I'd probably have sufficient funds available to add either another Duplex or 2 more SF later this year. 

    Does anyone currently have duplexes in Temple and how are they renting? Same for SF and MTR in Temple? 

    I'd love to connect if anyone is following this strategy in the Temple/Belton area.


     I have a friend with quite a few in the area and demand is down slightly but they're renting well

    Thanks for the feedback! I’ll go look at some properties there this week.
  • Member since 2023 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Robin Simon:
    Quote from @Floris V.:

    Hi everyone, I'm about to start investing in Texas and I'm leaning towards focussing on the Temple/Belton area. I might start with a Duplex for LTR and then add 2 SF for MTR close to the hospital in Temple. I'd probably have sufficient funds available to add either another Duplex or 2 more SF later this year. 

    Does anyone currently have duplexes in Temple and how are they renting? Same for SF and MTR in Temple? 

    I'd love to connect if anyone is following this strategy in the Temple/Belton area.


     Welcome to BP - lots of great investors and opportunities here in Central Texas!

    Thanks!
  • Ryan KellyBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Floris V. I own rentals in Temple and have helped client purchase both duplexes and MTRs in Temple. Happy to chat and share trends in the market.

    Ryan Kelly Group - Keller Williams5110 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Real Property Management Talent · Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Hi Floris, 
    Did you end up getting any properties in the Temple/Belton area? If so, id love to connect and talk about possibly managing those for you. Let me know, id love to help!

  • Taylor DaschBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
    6mo

    I'm an agent and active investor in Temple — 100+ transactions here. Quick data dump for you: The MTR play near BSW is still strong. Travel nurses and residents cycle through constantly. BSW Temple campus has 8,800+ employees and PGY-1 residents start at $70,993/year. A 3BR in South Temple or Midtown ($220K-$280K range) can pull $1,700-$2,200/month furnished vs $1,500-$1,750 unfurnished. For duplexes — inventory is thin. Most of the duplex stock is older (1970s-80s builds) in the $180K-$250K range or completely new builds in the high 300s. The older ones work for cash flow but some neighborhoods have foundation issues.

    Temple vs Belton: Temple has better rent-to-price ratios. Belton schools are stronger if you're targeting family tenants. Both have the demand floor from Fort Hood + BSW that Austin doesn't have.

    Happy to share specific neighborhood data if you want to narrow it down

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.