Hi everyone! First-time poster long-time reader here.
In short:
My husband and I finally pulled the trigger on our first Flip investment here in the Tampa area. We made a quick cash offer and gave the owner 30 days to allow her to move out since the deal was done quickly. It has been 35 days now and she still hasn't moved and we are kind of freaking out as time is money and the lady is not very responsive to our calls and text messages.
We have offered help moving, carrying stuff, and anything to make this process go smoothly but nada. I think we should act now, whatever that means..
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y
If anyone stays in past closing you hold a LARGE amount of money in escrow and charge 2x market rent. You want to be nice you make that first 30 days reasonable and then double it on day 31.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
2y
If anyone stays in past closing you hold a LARGE amount of money in escrow and charge 2x market rent. You want to be nice you make that first 30 days reasonable and then double it on day 31.
You shouldn't have closed until she was out. If she wanted an extra 30 days to move, you should have charged her rent AND kept a large hold back at closing with escalating amounts if she wasn't out in 30 days (ie you get an extra $500 from the hold back for every day after 30 days that she's not out).
Handyman · MN · Member since 2022 · 23 posts · 6 votes
2y
Is the house habitable for rent? If you would have worded in rent would that have made her and her living conditions your responsibility to maintain at her benefit?
If she hasn't moved by day 35 she won't be ready by day 45. She's going to need a push by either a legal or financial threat.
Our first flip the seller left a drool covered growling pit bull caged in the kitchen. After 24 hours we told her she needs to get there before animal control takes the dog. Our lesson learned.
Welcome to flipping! If you think things are weird now just wait. Best of luck! It will be worth it, this is just one of the many problems you will get to solve.
Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 680 votes
2y
This is a very creative strategy that has worked for me: If nothing works, offer this!!!! If she moves out quickly, offer her a profit-sharing agreement of 5% or less on top of your goal profit when the property sells. This will give them the illusion that they will benefit from leaving and will cooperate with selling the property. In the end, if you do the math right and you are putting it on top, it would be better than losing time and potential money to interest payments if you have a loan.
Hi everyone! First-time poster long-time reader here.
In short:
My husband and I finally pulled the trigger on our first Flip investment here in the Tampa area. We made a quick cash offer and gave the owner 30 days to allow her to move out since the deal was done quickly. It has been 35 days now and she still hasn't moved and we are kind of freaking out as time is money and the lady is not very responsive to our calls and text messages.
We have offered help moving, carrying stuff, and anything to make this process go smoothly but nada. I think we should act now, whatever that means..
What do we do?
Thank you in advance!
Why did you close while they are still there? NEVER! Also, you should have held back 10k, what to do, evict her! Knock on the door, tell her to get out! Lesson learned, never close until vacant Good luck
Hi everyone! First-time poster long-time reader here.
In short:
My husband and I finally pulled the trigger on our first Flip investment here in the Tampa area. We made a quick cash offer and gave the owner 30 days to allow her to move out since the deal was done quickly. It has been 35 days now and she still hasn't moved and we are kind of freaking out as time is money and the lady is not very responsive to our calls and text messages.
We have offered help moving, carrying stuff, and anything to make this process go smoothly but nada. I think we should act now, whatever that means..
What do we do?
Thank you in advance!
Why did you close while they are still there? NEVER! Also, you should have held back 10k, what to do, evict her! Knock on the door, tell her to get out! Lesson learned, never close until vacant Good luck
Lesson learned!
Also, I did held back 10k on an escrow account, but as I understand it, it wont come straight back to me? I have to start a legal process to get the money back.
This is a very creative strategy that has worked for me: If nothing works, offer this!!!! If she moves out quickly, offer her a profit-sharing agreement of 5% or less on top of your goal profit when the property sells. This will give them the illusion that they will benefit from leaving and will cooperate with selling the property. In the end, if you do the math right and you are putting it on top, it would be better than losing time and potential money to interest payments if you have a loan.
Hi Jorge Thank you for this tip! We will definitely consider it.
Is the house habitable for rent? If you would have worded in rent would that have made her and her living conditions your responsibility to maintain at her benefit?
If she hasn't moved by day 35 she won't be ready by day 45. She's going to need a push by either a legal or financial threat.
Our first flip the seller left a drool covered growling pit bull caged in the kitchen. After 24 hours we told her she needs to get there before animal control takes the dog. Our lesson learned.
Welcome to flipping! If you think things are weird now just wait. Best of luck! It will be worth it, this is just one of the many problems you will get to solve.
It is habitable for rent. This is another great idea that I did not consider.
I am very positive it will be all worth it in the end. But this added stress is hitting us HAAAAARD!
You shouldn't have closed until she was out. If she wanted an extra 30 days to move, you should have charged her rent AND kept a large hold back at closing with escalating amounts if she wasn't out in 30 days (ie you get an extra $500 from the hold back for every day after 30 days that she's not out).
Yeah, now it makes sense and would never do so again. Lesson learned.
If anyone stays in past closing you hold a LARGE amount of money in escrow and charge 2x market rent. You want to be nice you make that first 30 days reasonable and then double it on day 31.
Do I discount the rent from the escrow automatically?
Hi everyone! First-time poster long-time reader here.
In short:
My husband and I finally pulled the trigger on our first Flip investment here in the Tampa area. We made a quick cash offer and gave the owner 30 days to allow her to move out since the deal was done quickly. It has been 35 days now and she still hasn't moved and we are kind of freaking out as time is money and the lady is not very responsive to our calls and text messages.
We have offered help moving, carrying stuff, and anything to make this process go smoothly but nada. I think we should act now, whatever that means..
What do we do?
Thank you in advance!
Why did you close while they are still there? NEVER! Also, you should have held back 10k, what to do, evict her! Knock on the door, tell her to get out! Lesson learned, never close until vacant Good luck
Lesson learned!
Also, I did held back 10k on an escrow account, but as I understand it, it wont come straight back to me? I have to start a legal process to get the money back.
Sorry but that's another mistake, it should have been worded, not out within say 2 days of closing, the money is sent to me
Hi everyone! First-time poster long-time reader here.
In short:
My husband and I finally pulled the trigger on our first Flip investment here in the Tampa area. We made a quick cash offer and gave the owner 30 days to allow her to move out since the deal was done quickly. It has been 35 days now and she still hasn't moved and we are kind of freaking out as time is money and the lady is not very responsive to our calls and text messages.
We have offered help moving, carrying stuff, and anything to make this process go smoothly but nada. I think we should act now, whatever that means..
What do we do?
Thank you in advance!
Why did you close while they are still there? NEVER! Also, you should have held back 10k, what to do, evict her! Knock on the door, tell her to get out! Lesson learned, never close until vacant Good luck
Lesson learned!
Also, I did held back 10k on an escrow account, but as I understand it, it wont come straight back to me? I have to start a legal process to get the money back.
Sorry but that's another mistake, it should have been worded, not out within say 2 days of closing, the money is sent to me
This is a very creative strategy that has worked for me: If nothing works, offer this!!!! If she moves out quickly, offer her a profit-sharing agreement of 5% or less on top of your goal profit when the property sells. This will give them the illusion that they will benefit from leaving and will cooperate with selling the property. In the end, if you do the math right and you are putting it on top, it would be better than losing time and potential money to interest payments if you have a loan.
Hi again Jorge. I see you are local to the Tampa area too. Do you recommend any Real Estate Atty?
Real Estate Consultant · Madison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
2y
Who was helping you with this sale? Did you have a real estate agent and did you buy this on the market? Did you use an attorney to close? There a million ways that this should not have closed with the owner still there. Someone or multiple people let you down during this process unless you bought it direct from a wholesaler or seller off-market, then you should have known this would happen.
You may be able to go direct to the sheriff as this is not an eviction because she is not a tenant and you own the house.
Who was helping you with this sale? Did you have a real estate agent and did you buy this on the market? Did you use an attorney to close? There a million ways that this should not have closed with the owner still there. Someone or multiple people let you down during this process unless you bought it direct from a wholesaler or seller off-market, then you should have known this would happen.
You may be able to go direct to the sheriff as this is not an eviction because she is not a tenant and you own the house.
We have a realtor helping us with this. He has been very hands-on and responsible. He did inform us that the lady needed 30 days to move after closing since we were closing so fast (Cash sale) and we did agree to it. He also added a clause to hold 10k in escrow account giving her 30 days to move out.
I guess we could have been a bit more aggressive with the contract and included other things mentioned in this post.
If can I go directly to the sheriff that would be great!
This is a very creative strategy that has worked for me: If nothing works, offer this!!!! If she moves out quickly, offer her a profit-sharing agreement of 5% or less on top of your goal profit when the property sells. This will give them the illusion that they will benefit from leaving and will cooperate with selling the property. In the end, if you do the math right and you are putting it on top, it would be better than losing time and potential money to interest payments if you have a loan.
Hi again Jorge. I see you are local to the Tampa area too. Do you recommend any Real Estate Atty?
Who was helping you with this sale? Did you have a real estate agent and did you buy this on the market? Did you use an attorney to close? There a million ways that this should not have closed with the owner still there. Someone or multiple people let you down during this process unless you bought it direct from a wholesaler or seller off-market, then you should have known this would happen.
You may be able to go direct to the sheriff as this is not an eviction because she is not a tenant and you own the house.
We have a realtor helping us with this. He has been very hands-on and responsible. He did inform us that the lady needed 30 days to move after closing since we were closing so fast (Cash sale) and we did agree to it. He also added a clause to hold 10k in escrow account giving her 30 days to move out.
I guess we could have been a bit more aggressive with the contract and included other things mentioned in this post.
If can I go directly to the sheriff that would be great!
Why did you close before she moved out? You agreed to give her 30 more days after close with a use and occupancy agreement? If so, then you do not need an attorney to evict as they are only a licensee, not a tenant, and can be removed.