Best Resources for Rookie Investors?

Best Resources for Rookie Investors?

Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 1 post · 1 vote

Hey everyone! What resources helped you the most when you were getting started in real estate investing?

I’ve been involved in real estate for several years, but I’m always looking to improve my systems and learn how other investors approach deal analysis, financing, renovations, and building a reliable team.

Are there any books, podcasts, calculators, courses, or free resources you genuinely recommend? I’d especially like to hear from investors working in Florida or similar markets.

1Reply
300 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2023 · 220 posts · 183 votes
    3w

    Hey Shawn, For me, one of the best resources is actually the local investor community. Books, podcasts and calculators are great for learning the fundamentals, but talking with people who are actively doing deals in your specific market gives you information that's hard to get from a course.

    Since you mentioned Florida specifically, I’d recommend checking out JaxREIA since you're around the Jacksonville market. I’m a member there, and it’s a great way to connect with investors, lenders, contractors, property managers and other people actively involved in the local market. You get a much better feel for realistic rehab costs, insurance issues, rents and what investors are actually seeing on current deals.

    BiggerPockets has also been a great resource. Beyond the calculators, I think there’s a ton of value in searching older forum discussions about specific strategies or problems. Chances are someone has already dealt with the same situation you're researching.

    On the financing side, I'd also spend some time learning how lenders underwrite investment properties. Understanding LTC/LTV, ARV, DSCR, liquidity requirements, carrying costs and your different exit strategies can make a big difference when analyzing a deal. I work with investors on fix-and-flips, BRRRRs and rental financing, and some of the strongest investors I work with understand their financing options before they ever put a property under contract.

    If you're in Florida and would like to connect, feel free to reach out. Always happy to talk real estate and be a resource where I can.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3w

    Would recommend the book on DSCR loans for financing help! Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Book-DSCR-Loans-Investors-Professiona...

  • Nicholas FloydBusiness Member
    NY · Member since 2026 · 181 posts · 61 votes
    3w

    One resource I think gets overlooked is learning the financing side early. A lot of investors spend time studying deals, ARV, rehabs and markets, but don’t learn what different lenders actually require until they’re already trying to close.

    Understanding your funding profile, available liquidity, and options like business lines of credit, 0% APR business credit cards, and other business funding solutions can help you structure deals better and avoid scrambling at the last minute. I work on the business funding side, and I’ve seen that investors who understand their capital options before finding the deal usually move a lot more confidently.

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3w

    I think a lot of investors forget about the sales and negotiation aspect in real estate. Reading books on sales, marketing, negotiating, etc.. helps you win deals and partners. The numbers are also important, but sales and negotiation is the game changer.

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
  • Dan HandfordPro Member
    Investor · Lexington, SC · Member since 2018 · 779 posts · 501 votes
    3w

    Shawn, I would organize learning around a repeatable deal-review process rather than collecting more content. Choose one strategy and market, then practice estimating rent, operating expenses, renovation, financing, reserves, and multiple exits on real listings. Compare your assumptions with closed sales, local managers, contractors, insurance agents, and lenders. Books and podcasts can explain concepts, but a written underwriting checklist and post-analysis review turn information into judgment. Which part of your current process feels least reliable: estimating rehab, validating rent, financing, or deciding the maximum purchase price?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.