How did you find your first investment property?

How did you find your first investment property?

Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 46 votes

I am curious how people found their first investment property.  Did you  find it by 

searching the MLS?

recommendation from wholesaler, rehabber, realtor, or some other way?

0Reply
28 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Consultant · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 223 votes
12y

I was paid $15K to buy my first house in 1997. I found it in the newspaper, but it wasn't advertised that way. It was advertised as $110K 3/2 house. The person had an assumable FHA loan with a balance of $130K. He was going to make a final payment for $20K to bring the balance down to $110K and the new owner could refinance. I could easily afford the monthly payments and told him to give me $15K and I would assume the loan. So that's how I bought my first house.

God Bless You!

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ben G.Pro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 196 votes
    12y

    Sent out letters via @Jerry Puckett and ended up just flipping it fast to a rehab buyer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2012 · 87 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    Very first one was via a FSBO sign that my dad happened to mention when I said I was looking for properties in the area. It wasn't the best deal ever (I know that now), but luckily I bought it in 2003 and was able to take advantage of some very nice appreciation.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    12y

    First investment prop was the one my wife and I purchased to be our first home in The Woodlands, now its on a rocketship of appreciation AND it cash flows like crazy. Its the one that sparked my interest in REI.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lancaster, CA · Member since 2014 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    12y

    I was paid $15K to buy my first house in 1997. I found it in the newspaper, but it wasn't advertised that way. It was advertised as $110K 3/2 house. The person had an assumable FHA loan with a balance of $130K. He was going to make a final payment for $20K to bring the balance down to $110K and the new owner could refinance. I could easily afford the monthly payments and told him to give me $15K and I would assume the loan. So that's how I bought my first house.

    God Bless You!

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    We have found all 5 of our properties and 4 for my parents were all found from the mls with a realtor. Personally my realtor has been my ace in the hole.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    I think it was a letter campaign, I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I don't really remember exactly.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    I am just starting out too. My first deal: I was renting a townhome and bought it from the landlord at a killer price! Now I have great cash flow with my tenant and doubled with appreciation. I recently bought SFR with a guest cottage and have a tenant there as well. Now in search of my third deal!

  • Rental Property Investor · New Martinsville, WV · Member since 2012 · 105 posts · 44 votes
    12y

    I actually found mine on a Facebook yard sale page. A lady's mother recently died and she wanted the house gone fast so I checked it out and made an offer that was accepted. 

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 202 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    Through my SOI (Sphere Of Influence). I was young and green! I would tell anyone and everyone that would listen I am a real estate investor and that I buy all types of properties. Little did they know I had no money or experience (other than what I “learned” from old Carlton Sheets infomercial).

    A friend from my SOItold a struggling home owner that I buy houses and she should call me to help her out. I got the call from her, pretended to know what I was doing and worked the deal. I landed a $110k already updated rent ready SFR for $50k. Of course I had no money! So after I had the contract I had to find the cash.... That's a whole other story but I was able to pull it off and POW I was in the game.

    I believe one of the absolute best ways to find deals is to network and use the tools that are already at your disposal. You would be amazed at how many of your friends have friends that have friends that can lead you to a deal. Endless! I have purchased many properties this way.

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2014 · 74 posts · 46 votes
    12y

    Thanks everybody. That confirms that I need to do more than just scour the MLS listings!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.