How useful is having a RE license when becoming an investor

How useful is having a RE license when becoming an investor

Real Estate Broker · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 2 votes

I am new to investing and was contemplating getting my license to help me find deals, comps and other property information. 

Are there any wholesalers who have gotten a license to make it easier to find more deals is that recommended. I am in Miami FL does anyone know of a good place to get my license and a broker to get started under. any advice on this subject would be appreciated. 

0Reply
19 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
11y

critical to success long term... as mentioned above  just being able to go into any house when you want as opposed to setting appointments etc etc.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    I am a real estate investor and also a licensed Realtor and to me it has made life easier and allowed me to make even more money.  It also helps with finding deals and looking at comps also.  For me all around it was worth it. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    Thanks Curt good to know it has helped you any tips on getting started becoming an agent.

  • Flipper · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    11y

    I think it depends on the volume you are looking to achieve. I decided to go after my license because we have big goals, and my time valuable. I don't want to waste my time (or other's time) hunting down a broker to show a property to me when I could be doing that myself. I think it also gives you a more intricate view of the market in your area. In WA state, there is a great online option for obtaining your license, but I'm not sure about FL. Good luck!

  • Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    How is it possible to get your licence in TX?

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Mordchai Lunger check out 

    http://www.realestateexpress.com/

    You can get your Florida license here at your own pace online.

    Also check out myfloridalicense.com on what you need to do in order to get your license.

  • Real Estate Agent · Riverside, RI · Member since 2014 · 70 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    The first thing you will need to do is take the pre-license class.  This may vary depending on the state.  You should call your local Board of Realtors office and they will be able to direct you on where to take the class, cost, requirements, etc.  

    As a Realtor, I find having my license is very helpful for the reasons listed above, plus you can put in your own offers without having to inconvenience a Realtor.  The more you know about the process, the better investor you can be.

    Good luck

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    critical to success long term... as mentioned above  just being able to go into any house when you want as opposed to setting appointments etc etc.

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2008 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Having a license

    Wholesaling - it allows you to get respect from sellers and buyers and attorneys and title companies.

    Lease Option assignments - helps to show houses for lease 2 own otherwise you may need to hire a leasing agent or have a leasing agent in your LLC.

    I would encourage all to get a license if they doing volume (or want to do volume) in real estate investing.

  • Alexandria , VA · Member since 2014 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Much  like everyone else I concur with the other great minds. Our partnership allowed us to divide up some of the vital roles in making our business a success. Real estate licensing,  business liscensing, broker, investment licensing (series6, 63, 26, 65), marketing team, etc. Eliminating fees, and expenses that can be put back in your cashflow is a vital element of  "thinking"business. Every dollar counts :) 

  • Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 491 votes
    11y

    I don't think it is a requirement, but I think it will only help you in the long run.  I'm working on obtaining mine now!  I think it will definitely be worth the several hundred $$s.  Good luck!

  • Blue Springs, MO · Member since 2014 · 353 posts · 52 votes
    11y
    If you get a license, are u required to work for a company?
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    IN most states you must work for a broker for a set amount of years then you take the brokers exam... LIke in Oregon because I was licensed in CA I was able to be a sole practioner.. now they got rid of that license designation and if I want to work on my own again I need to take the Principal brokers module and pass it then I could work by myself..

    for me I like working at a company the networking benefits to an investor like myself more than pay for any dues I am paying... I will pop 1 to 4 deals a year from newbie agents bringing me killer deals on a platter IE they don't know what to do with them and I have a reputation of buying said deals... :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.