Should I file for bankruptcy?

Should I file for bankruptcy?

Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
A couple disclaimers before I start:
  • If you look through my profile and previous posts, you'll see that I am young (just turned 22), and also may believe I don't have the right mindset or maturity yet to start REI. This is understandable, but also note that this isn't really a REI question, but more of a financial strategy question from those more experienced than me.
  • I know that all this should be taken as simply advice and I can't base this decision solely on the opinions/guidance of people from the internet. Trust me, regardless of the responses, I will still make the best decision I believe for myself. I'm just trying to get some light in my relatively dark tunnel, for lack of a better expression. I know plenty of people have experience in this subject or at least enough to offer some words of advice to a young entrepreneur.

Now, like I said, I'm only 22. I have NO student loan debt. I had a good job for about a year. In this time, I went and financed things like crazy. Long story short, I was laid off. I'm currently over $20k in debt. All my debts are unsecured. I have loans and credit cards, that is all. I moved back in with my parents and my next focus is going back to college. I plan to get a degree in Construction Management. I feel like this would be very beneficial being that I eventually want to buy homes to fix and also possibly spec build homes at some point.

With that being said, I've read a lot into filing. My parent's have had a few friends file. One filed and 3 years later, bought a new home and a new truck. One has amazing credit and he filed 5 years ago. I've also heard it's not as bad as most people think. A bunch of people believe if you file, you just can't do anything for 10 years, but that isn't the case. I've read a bunch of positives as well as negatives. Obviously every situation is different. But given what you know with my situation, what do you believe is best? If it were up to me right now, with no guidance... I would say to file and take it as a lesson learned. I think dealing with the consequences of having no credit or access to any for a few years while I go back to school and focus on my education would mature me. But I'd like to hear your advice!

1Reply
376 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
10y
I think everyone has given a lot of good, solid advice. I will throw one more angle at you. Even after 7 years when the bankruptcy has disappeared off of your credit report, you will be asked on every application that you fill out, "have you ever filed bankruptcy"? It will follow you the rest of your life. At 22 years old you can work a 40 hour job and go to school at the same time. You can pay that 20k off a lot faster than you think while living with your parents. Here's two scenarios while you are in front of a banker asking for a loan a few years from now: 1. Yes, I filed bankruptcy when I was 22. I bought a lot of stuff I didn't need. 2. Yes, my credit was terrible when I was younger. I bought a lot of useless stuff and financed it. I didn't file bankruptcy because I knew I owed the money and pay all of my debts. I have learned by my mistake and won't repeat it. Who do you think will get the loan?
See this reply in the discussion

146 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Albert:

    The key to making money is thinking outside the box.  Look into selling ebay and amazon.  It requires virtually no start up money and you can make between 50 and 100 k per year if you really hustle and put in the time to understand the system.  Anything you want to learn about both the platforms can be researched on youtube (what to look for, how to sell it, how to ship it).  I thought that I'd just throw this option out there for you because a lot of times college isn't the answer.  I have 2 friends that graduated with business degrees last year and both make less than 35k a year and have about 100k in debt.  If you're going to invest in an education you have to really know if its worth it.  What are the chances you'll get a job when you graduate?  How much will this job pay?  Will you have to move out of state to take the job?  How much will college cost?  You might also want to give Dave Ramsey a listen.  When it comes to personal debt management he really knows what he's talking about.   

     I use eBay all the time! Haha. Also, I'd be going to college for around $10,000 total and getting a Bachelors degree. I feel like it would be worth it. This is based off me getting the right grants and whatnot. It wouldn't really get the best job, but not necessarily the word either. I'd really just use this to help my own real estate business since I want to go for Construction Management.

  • Irwin, PA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed  If you already know how to sell on ebay that's half the fight haha.  If you want to scale it up just go to local goodwills, thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales to find items to buy low and sell high.  If you're genuinely interested in learning more about it just shoot me a message.  You'll have to work at it but you can definitely pay off your 26k debt within 6 months.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Marcus Johnson, there aren't many technical colleges to choose from in my city. I go to one now online just to obtain my real estate license. I'd also like to get a Construction Management degree. I would get enough from tuition to go to school for practically free as long as I kept my GPA in a good standpoint. My only problem is working while I go to school is really hard for me. I can handle it physically, just not mentally. I pretty much have to devote most of my time into school. Even if I worked some small part time job while going to school, paying off over $20,000 in debt would take years and I couldn't do it in a timely manner. My credit seems like it will be ruined regardless and there's no need for me to get anymore credit cards anytime soon. So I feel like it would make more sense for me to file than to pay off for 5 years and in the end my credit still not be that great. I know people who had around a 650 credit score 2-3 years after filing. Obviously not amazing, but I'd probably be around the same boat anyways, maybe...

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y

    cmon man that's a cop out.   I was never an A student, yet I worked 50 hours a week and went to school full time.  Quit making excuses.   

  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Kevin Albert, I've used it for a few years now. I just was never really into buying small items. I've always sold iPhones. Cheap to ship and obviously very profitable! I'll send you a colleague request!

  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Cheryl Bolognese, thank you so much for the kind words and encouragement! I believe I'm going to attempt paying it off. I just really don't want to ruin my credit in the time trying to do so. Hopefully it'll be fine.

  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Marcus Johnson, I swear it's not excuses, I'm just realistic with what I can take personally. I swear I can work 70 hours a week, but asking me to work 50 hours and keep above a 3.0 GPA while having 4 different subject and not much time to study would be insanely hard. And if I drop under a 3.0, I'd have to pay out of pocket. It's not my will power at all that's bad. I'm sure there's plenty of college kids who try working that much and end up having their grades slip because of it, I'm just being realistic and saying I would probably contribute to that crowd.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Benjamin Haberman, that's what I'd like to do. But working a minimum wage job in college won't pay my monthly debts is my only problem.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y

    are you sadly told that there are no jobs for you that pay minimum wage?   Well, then you have poor advice because there are plenty of people out there that will pay you $40 dollars an hour to mow their lawn, change out a faucet, move debris from their lawn or paint a room.   Quit making excuses and face reality.  Either your lazy or your not.  

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mike Z.:

    You never know all the unforeseen repercussions from declaring Bankruptcy.  If an employer is looking at two candidates who have the same basic qualifications on paper expect one has a bankruptcy, which one do you think he will hire?  If you ever needed to get clearance for a job down the road someday, the bankruptcy would be a problem. 

    If you delayed school and picked up  two or three jobs you could pay off the debt pretty quick. Why not work for someone in the rehab or construction business and get real life experience.  You'll probably get a lot better education paying off your debt and working through your problems than any university could give you. 

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y

    @Peter Masonthank you for your encouraging words I'm going to rack up a bunch of debt and then declare bankruptcy because I don't feel like paying it thank you for your advice

  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Marcus Johnson, I understand that I could make extra money doing side jobs but those things aren't guaranteed. A guaranteed paycheck is more comforting to most people. I know I can go do side gigs, but what if I can't find anything for a month? Does that make me lazy because I can't find the handyman side jobs? If I'm offered the work, I'll take it. Finding consistent work on the side like you're saying isn't easy. I'd take any opportunity though. This is the first time I've been without a job since I was 16 years old, I don't think laziness is the issue.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y

    OK so post an advertisement in the local paper saying that you do handyman services for them and then report back to us saying what complications you've had

  • Investor · NOVA, VA · Member since 2014 · 99 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    Join the military, learn a trade (even construction!), experience the broader world and go to school part-time on Uncle Sam's dime.

    A complete life make-over.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    That's what I did and it changed my life.
  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Marcus Johnson, I'll give it a shot. Only tried word of mouth and social media so far for side work.

  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed, I've also considered that. I heard on a BP podcast about the military being great for getting you in the right mindset.

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    10y
    Hunter Groover great to hear. I advertised handyman services and I had to pull the ad because I had too much business I hope the same goes for you
  • Investor · Barnhart, MO · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey when it comes to matters such as these.  Not sure if he would say this exact thing but based on his books, podcast and my personal experience this would be my advise for you.

    1. Set a detailed budget (and stick to it, bare bones minimum) you have to make sure spending is under control.  Its going to suck for awhile.

    2.Save $1,000 fast! (safety blanket)

    3.List your debts smallest to largest. Pay minimum payments on everything but the smallest.  Attack the smallest with a vengeance when that one is gone move to the next. (this will build confidence and momentum).

    4. Sell everything you can (think outside the box)

    5. Get aggressive with work, think outside the box like others have said.  You can make more money in less time if you think outside the box. (what are you good at that other people need, charge for it)

    I have followed these principles and got out of a lot more debt that what you are talking about. You just have to be intense.  I am not a financial expert by any means but you can pay this off.  Good luck. Not trying to advertise for Dave Ramsey but his stuff really helped me out I would suggest looking into it.  If it makes sense run with it if not find some other material to help you pay this off.  Good Luck and get intense.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Thanks, @Ken Sauer! I'm actually less than two weeks into unemployment now. I just was scared that I may end up losing that and not having a job. Then being forced to file anyways. And I figured it would be best to do it sooner rather than later. I'm going to spend the weekend calling all my lien holders and trying to come up with better ideas than filing. I also from the beginning of this thread thought that $20,000 was a LOT of debt, but everyone's responses has made me feel a lot better about the situation.

    To be clear:  you are never forced to file BK.  If you don't pay your creditors they will either write off the debt and/or get judgement liens. The worse that could happen is one of your creditors goes so far as to actually get a judgement and then garnish your wages (assuming you have a job). It's just not that big of a deal.  BK is overrated for people in your situation.

  • Wholesaler · Stow, OH · Member since 2015 · 28 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Johnson:
    Originally posted by @Mike Z.:

    You never know all the unforeseen repercussions from declaring Bankruptcy.  If an employer is looking at two candidates who have the same basic qualifications on paper expect one has a bankruptcy, which one do you think he will hire?  If you ever needed to get clearance for a job down the road someday, the bankruptcy would be a problem. 

    If you delayed school and picked up  two or three jobs you could pay off the debt pretty quick. Why not work for someone in the rehab or construction business and get real life experience.  You'll probably get a lot better education paying off your debt and working through your problems than any university could give you. 

     Actually -- I agree!   PLUS, I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Investor · Coppell, TX · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 646 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Seth Larson:

    (first post on BP, this topic resonates with me, had to comment)

    a year and a half ago I got out of the military and immediately got a $11,000 loan, bought an RV and started traveling for a few months.

    I also made a couple of horrible investments and generally became an extreamly irresponsible person financially..

    I ended up blowing through my savings ($15,000), and taking on around $16,000 in debt.

    around 8 months ago i made the commitment to get back on the horse and get my act together.

    fast forward to now, working 9 hrs a day, 6 days a week, ive sold a car, sold the RV, payed off my loan ($11k), and payed a huge tax bill ($9k)

    i have no savings and still have about $4k of debt to pay, but im well on my way to actually having positive net worth around mid january 2016.

    cliffs: 24k in debt and taxes payed off in 8 months. make sacrifices/work your *** off, dont file

    Hello! I don't know if you have any retirement money but if you do I would look into a true self-directed IRA and switch that money before you file because I have heard that that will protect your money even if you file bankruptcy. I would try to stay away from filing bankruptcy and do not file. Just keep doing what you have done. Depending on how you are with people and are excited about, I would go to some sort of buying and selling real estate. I have heard that rentals do not do well. Just know your market and always do your numbers. The faster you get a good bit of learning, the better off you will be. Just keep on trucking and you will hopefully be fine. Good luck to you!

  • Rockford, IL · Member since 2015 · 343 posts · 95 votes
    10y
    Well you have a lot of good advice being thrown at you. So I will also give you some advice and experience. I am a firm believer in Cash and your Credit score is the key to the kingdom. I do not think filing is the way to go. You created it, you need to own it. I get it you got laid off, been there, but honestly 20k is nothing. I have been reading your posts and you seem very set on going to college. Good for you, however college can be done at anytime. I am 42 and still take continuing education classes. There are all sorts of options. Look into a apprenticeship program. Whether it is Hvac, electrical, millwrights, toolmaker, pipe fitter, welder, carpenter, or labor. Not sure what it is like down south but up here in the Midwest, Union apprenticeship are great. I am a electrician, went through a union electrical apprenticeship program. You now receive an associate degree after you graduation. I can only speak for the electrical apprenticeship. This can be credited to your bachelors. Oh by the way did I tell you it is FREE,of course there are certain guidelines you would need to follow. You are working at a contractor at a % of a journeymen scale. Every year the % increases. You get on the job training and you get paid to work if you are not at school. Once you are done you can go anywhere providing the correct state license. No one can take that from you. Is there positives and negatives about it sure everything has it. Just remember construction is a feast or famine beast. You may have bad years and great years. I did my construction days and made really good money. But I wanted to move toward technology. So I got hired into a small facility that supplied parts to the auto industry. Now I work in the auto industry maintaining and programming Robots. You made a comment that you feel you have more potential then to work a job for 23/HR for 40+ hours a week. I am curious on what you mean by that. I think most people on here would agree they work more then 40 hours a week. You cannot think you are going to get a high paying job and only work minimal hours. I do not feel you are being realistic at all. I personally work sometimes 7 days a week 10 hrs a day at my regular job and work on my rentals or my home before or after work. I sleep maybe 4-6 hour a day. I think and dream about real estate all the time. I love my job but would like to eventually do rentals full time. There is a lack of talent and experience when it comes to a trades. Baby boomers are retiring. There will be a shift coming if not already and pay will increase do to demand. If you are a self motivated, hard working, wanting to learn. Trades are the way to go. You are young. Own up to your debts. Get into a trade make good money and start your real estate dreams. Just some thoughts. Good luck.
  • Real Estate Broker · Ocean View, NJ · Member since 2014 · 188 posts · 82 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Benjamin Haberman, that's what I'd like to do. But working a minimum wage job in college won't pay my monthly debts is my only problem.

     @hunter groover 

    Don't get a job working minimum wage. Wait tables at a higher end restaurant which will help you with people skills which will help you in future real estate deals. Strategize on everything you do from here on out. If you were 13 I would of told you that a minimum wage job is perfect. That is because you are 13 and everyone needs to experience a minimum waged job. I started washing dishes in a golf club when I was 13. You are 22 though and you need to start making some legit money. Waiters in upscale restaurants can make $3-500 a night. Do that for a semester and pay down most of the debt. Move on and conquer. Small mind thinking gets you small money.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Elkhart, IN · Member since 2014 · 197 posts · 41 votes
    10y

    There are so many pro's and con's to filing. 

    Just my opinion, but if your parents will work with you to allow you a little time to work things out with your creditors. I would work it out to pay off the debts. Some times you can cash out some of them for 10%. So potentially your debt could be around $2k not $20k. If you take one at a time and say this is the best you can do "will you take $ this and remove the derogatory remark from the credit reporting agencies?" I removed $500k in less than 2 years this way. Those were mostly business debts years ago in a different industry, but it works on personal too. 

    It is sometimes very difficult to live with your parents at your age and to do what you need to do, by also showing them you are sincere and dedicated to doing the right things to get yourself out of debt. This will really be a very short time in your life of sucking it up and staying on a good path. The BK will always be there, even after the seven years. I'm all for education too, but right at this time you might want to reconsider what you need to do at this moment to get yourself straightened around. 

    Wholesaling for you should be relatively easy. It's the steps that you need to take to get some deals under your belt. The first of anything you will do in life can be difficult. After you do a few deals it will become easier. Estimating a deal and the rehab will get you further in this field. You could also add that you could do the work for the investor looking at buying your deal. 

    GO to your local REIA meeting and you might find part time work rehabbing for an investor. They might even take you under their wings and help direct you in your REI career. Network here on BP and learn all you can about the market you want to be in. You might find investors that would love to help you and give you work that you can do. A win win situation. Network, network, get yourself out there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.