I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

OK I got my first phone call. (Well this is the second) but this one seems really serious.

Would it be ok if I asked a few of you to walk me through my first call experience?

I will tell you exactly what is happening and can you all advice what I should do? I know my education and I think I now what to do, but I would rather not make any mistakes. Also other newbies could really benefit from this if it is layed out as detailed as possible.

So:

I just got a call from a seller.

I was completely unprepared. I just send the mailers out yesterday. So I didn't go over the script.

I am not sure if he is very motivated.

He wants to sell,  but he started saying that he wouldn't go below 500K and if you put 100K into it you could easily resell it for about 1.2M

Those are really scary numbers.

So what I am going to do now is do my due diligence, do a driveby, and calculate the numbers.

He said he will be on a business trip and he can not deal with this too much till in March. (not sure if it is a motivated seller).

He did mention the house is not as updated as the others in the neighbourhood.

Other than my research now. 

WHat do you all advise I do?

I told him I will prepare an offer within a few days and I will email him the offer.

PLEASE can ANYONE recommend an attorney?  I don't care where in CT, I just really need an investor friendly one.

2Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

Hi @Jerryll Noorden.  Scary and exciting at the same time, right?

I would start by looking up the property address at the county assessor's site. See what info they have on the property - who owns it, sales history, assessed value, lot size, house characteristics, etc. Make sure you are dealing with the owner. Never had one suggest a rehab budget and ARV before! Them being out of town AND suggesting and ARV has my hackles up a little bit. Double and triple check who owns it.

Then I would drive by, take notes and try and get some comps. Hard to make an offer without seeing inside.  First steps I would do.  Good luck and please keep us posted!

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    listsource. Yes absentee And I sent out 126 . I send out 40 every day.

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, ME · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 54 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    so tell me. How do you amazing experts manage to do comps (if you are not a REA) without worrying some shady investor REA will swoop the deal from underneath you?

    Hi Jerryll, here is a method to get comps without a REA and use the info to calculate after repair value for single family homes.  First, you need to find the sales data on the assessors webpage for the city or town where the property is located.  In some places the county government keeps this info.  If you cannot find it, then call the assessor's office and ask how to get it.  You want the sales data for the most recent six month period. 

    Next, you need to search the list for the properties that are most comparable to the prospect. 

    1. Location - Find comps that are nearby.  If you live in a city, then you should look within the neighborhood.  If you live in a small town, then you will probably need to look within the whole town for comps.  Here are some other things to look for in comps:

    2. Square footage - use comps within 500 square feet more or less than the prospect.

    3. Beds and baths - use comps that have a similar number of bedrooms and bathrooms.  Consider properties that have one more or one fewer of either bedrooms or bathrooms.  If you have a 3/2 prospect, then look at properties with 2/2, 4/2, 3/1, and 3/3.

    4. Age - use comps that were built around the time as the prospect.

    Create a list of 10 properties that have similarities. The more similarities the better.  If you are having a hard time finding 10, then you'll need to be a little more flexible and consider properties that are older and newer and also look into nearby neighborhoods.

    Then, calculate the cost per square foot for the list of ten.  Divide the sales price by the square feet.  

    Finally, calculate the average cost per square foot.  Add the 10 results for the cost per square foot together and divide by 10.  This number is an estimate for the after repair value.  

    For more info, check out the book Flip by Rick Villani and Clay Davis.  They recommend this method in the book.  Audible has an audio book for it.  You can see the figures from the book by going to kellerink.com/flip

    Good luck with finding comps.  

  • Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    Sounds like an awesome response rate.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerryll Noorden  so you got 5 calls in 126 letters.. is that what your saying.. that my man is one heck of a return and in an area were homes are 500k.. that is really something. don't get spoiled.. it could be that these folks never get letters as this is usually not really the prevue of wholesalers.. but I don't know your area.

    FLA could be better pickings in some markets.. I fund some folks in Orlando that do some serious volume.. so just saying

  • Glen Cove, NY · Member since 2015 · 110 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    I am about to start a mail campaign to 3K people (my first ever)

    I really hope I get the same type of response rates you are getting (3.96%). I would be an extremely happy man. Are you going to start sending some large volume mailers?

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    So serious question. Why does no one want to share attorneys? Is there something I do not know? How does  refering me to an attorney have any effect on you? I need work done. I need my contracts reviewed. I will pay.  I just don't get it...

    Baller real estate investors think they if they share my name with someone else, I wont have time to do their 2 or 3 deals a year that are workable using the types of financing I offer ...I think they have no idea what my annual volume is or they wouldn't worry about another 2 deals/yr jamming up the gears LOL, and actually a referral to a RE investor that closes will probably get you on my short list that is capped at 25 names (good place to be, though I don't tell people who is and isn't on that list). 

    So they will refer like their mom or brother to me, but not their fellow ballers, because they think I'm going to spend time on that person's loan and not theirs. 

    I'm guessing it's the same for real estate lawyers.

    It's certainly the same with kick-butt investor friendly realtors. Ballers often will not share the name of their go-to because THEY want to be the first to know about that killer opportunity that their go-to realtor stumbled upon, and don't want to risk YOU getting that information first.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David Marshall:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Wow, this is excellent. Thank you. This should definitely do it.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Thanks everyone.

    I thought a response rate of 10%-15% was more normal... but I guess not.

    And to you that is going to send out 3K mailers.  I would be prepared to be able to handle all incoming calls. I am just getting 4-5 a day and I feel like it is too much to handle.

    But there is a steep learning curve though. I am getting the hang of it.

    I just bought the book on estimating rehabs offered here. (last night). I am speed reading through it now to be able to get an accurate costs of repair value so I can make higher (and more accurate) offers to the sellers.

  • Annandale, VA · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    You're living the dream man!  Enjoy the ride and thanks for sharing so us newbies can see what it will look like when we're up and running.

    AdamP

  • Curtis YoderPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 187 votes
    10y

    @Jerryll Noorden, just a thought after reading your posts. Keep in mind that you are in charge of the deal. These folks are calling you for a reason, you have the money. They will say or do anything at times to get it, but you are the BOSS of the deal. So take the lead and if they refuse to dance... move on. 

    With that said, I have forced several deals in my career and they rarely work out to my favor. Emotion can drive a bad deal. So when the right one comes, it will flow and just seem to fall into place. I love hearing these stories of success beginning to grow! Keep it up and great things will happen!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    seriously thank you. What people do not see between the lines I write is the frustration hard work and constantly fighting the urge to give up. You all really keep me going. Thanks a lot!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    10y

    Make sure there's no liens on the property, short sale or going into foreclosure.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Thanks everyone.

    I thought a response rate of 10%-15% was more normal... but I guess not.

    And to you that is going to send out 3K mailers.  I would be prepared to be able to handle all incoming calls. I am just getting 4-5 a day and I feel like it is too much to handle.

    But there is a steep learning curve though. I am getting the hang of it.

    I just bought the book on estimating rehabs offered here. (last night). I am speed reading through it now to be able to get an accurate costs of repair value so I can make higher (and more accurate) offers to the sellers.

    so let me just understand this you sent out 126 letters and your getting 4 to 5 calls PER DAY... not just 4 or 5 calls in total ?  if that is the case that must be one heck of a letter.

    normal response is 1% so the person putting out 3k letters if they get 3 to 5 calls that would be expected anything more is gravy and if they got one deal that would be fabulous.

    your reponse rate is off the charts.. there must be some outlier here.. its just way off for industry norm.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Judy Parker:

    Make sure there's no liens on the property, short sale or going into foreclosure.

     "going into foreclosure". Is this pre foreclosure? (Probably not right?) Because I thought pre foreclosures are a hot item.

    That is also something I am struggling with.

    First how do you find out if there are liens on the property. And if there are,  what does one do?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Thanks everyone.

    I thought a response rate of 10%-15% was more normal... but I guess not.

    And to you that is going to send out 3K mailers.  I would be prepared to be able to handle all incoming calls. I am just getting 4-5 a day and I feel like it is too much to handle.

    But there is a steep learning curve though. I am getting the hang of it.

    I just bought the book on estimating rehabs offered here. (last night). I am speed reading through it now to be able to get an accurate costs of repair value so I can make higher (and more accurate) offers to the sellers.

    so let me just understand this you sent out 126 letters and your getting 4 to 5 calls PER DAY... not just 4 or 5 calls in total ?  if that is the case that must be one heck of a letter.

    normal response is 1% so the person putting out 3k letters if they get 3 to 5 calls that would be expected anything more is gravy and if they got one deal that would be fabulous.

    your reponse rate is off the charts.. there must be some outlier here.. its just way off for industry norm.

     Indeed. I just sent my letters out 3 days ago, The letters arrived yesterday to the people and I got 4 calls.

    None so far today though... :/  

    but this gives me a bit of time to catch up and do some analysis.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam Phillips:

    You're living the dream man!  Enjoy the ride and thanks for sharing so us newbies can see what it will look like when we're up and running.

    AdamP

     Hey Adam, thanks. But not.. yet.

    I recon I need 30 calls to make 1 deal... so 4 calls is not going to cut it.

    Need to send more mailers out, but I am doing it all myself. I am doing everything at the same time....

    After one deal and I will automate it all and outsource the work. I just want one deal.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Curtis Yoder:

    @Jerryll Noorden, just a thought after reading your posts. Keep in mind that you are in charge of the deal. These folks are calling you for a reason, you have the money. They will say or do anything at times to get it, but you are the BOSS of the deal. So take the lead and if they refuse to dance... move on. 

    With that said, I have forced several deals in my career and they rarely work out to my favor. Emotion can drive a bad deal. So when the right one comes, it will flow and just seem to fall into place. I love hearing these stories of success beginning to grow! Keep it up and great things will happen!

     Hell yes!!

    Absolutely right.

    I have written several quotes from your email and put them on my personal quotes list.

    Good things to live by!!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Jerryll Noorden  Ok that makes more sense you might get one more call etc.

    still 4 calls on  126 letters is 3 times industry average.. your fishing in the honey hole it appears...

  • Real Estate Agent · Charlottesville, VA · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Jerryll Noorden Congrats on your call backs in the new CT territory!
    Regarding an attorney, you might chat with your title insurance company and ask for someone they use locally who is good. Our title company actively recruits attorneys on the referral of our agents. For you, this could be a way to leverage local perspective, and you could refer the same attorney to your seller for closing. 

    Hope that helps. Good luck!

  • Annandale, VA · Member since 2010 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Absolutely right. You've got more steps to take but you've STARTED. From the perspective of a work-a-day attorney who moonlights as a REI you're living the dream.

    Can't get to the end without starting man.  Great job.

    AdamP

  • Wholesaler · Waldorf, MD · Member since 2015 · 459 posts · 245 votes
    10y

    @Jerryll Noorden congrats on "firing" before "aiming". Regarding getting your "first deal", what is your exit strategy, it wasn't clear from your initial post or I missed it? Are you trying to wholesale or buy it to rent or flip?

    Also, isn't it great to be paid like a "god" on your full-time job. I'm married so sometimes it doesn't feel like it,...LOL. Oh to be single and to be paid like 2 "gods"!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    Good job so far. You seem to want it bad and that is what is all about. I am in the Dallas Texas market but I would like be to ask you some questions about your system. I may be abel to give you some good information. Give me a call  if you need anything!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @James Green:

    @Jerryll Noorden congrats on "firing" before "aiming". Regarding getting your "first deal", what is your exit strategy, it wasn't clear from your initial post or I missed it? Are you trying to wholesale or buy it to rent or flip?

    Also, isn't it great to be paid like a "god" on your full-time job. I'm married so sometimes it doesn't feel like it,...LOL. Oh to be single and to be paid like 2 "gods"!

     Haaaaa!!

    observative yes. My exit strategy is foremost, do not do bad deals so you do not need one.

    But like a condom (or was it a gun?) better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it.

    I am still trying to find a good attorney to lay a good exit strategy out for me. If I end up needing to sign a contract NOW , I will just add and create my own based on common sense and internet findings.. scary yes I know.

    Thank you. I did aim though.. as accurately as the situation permitted. Waiting for everything to be in place, I would still be waiting. And look at me now. Comping 2 properties!

    :)

    I don't see this at all as a "good job" though, although I really appreciate everyone's encouragement. Just 4 people decided to call. I need 30!!

    Still sending out mailers. But it is too slow.. I think I will spend this weekend to write all 600 remaining ones....

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Josh Zelaya:

    Good job so far. You seem to want it bad and that is what is all about. I am in the Dallas Texas market but I would like be to ask you some questions about your system. I may be abel to give you some good information. Give me a call  if you need anything!

     Hey Josh,

    Sure feel free to ask. I do not believe in "competition" so ask away.

    Some things I am experimenting with to see how it works, but when I have a report I will share it all if you like. I just need to send all of my mailers.

  • CRE Bridge Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Congrats! @Jerryll Noorden... At least you are in the game and getting calls... Stay excited, the energy will bring good things (if not this deal, the next one, and the next one, and the next one). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.