I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

OK I got my first phone call. (Well this is the second) but this one seems really serious.

Would it be ok if I asked a few of you to walk me through my first call experience?

I will tell you exactly what is happening and can you all advice what I should do? I know my education and I think I now what to do, but I would rather not make any mistakes. Also other newbies could really benefit from this if it is layed out as detailed as possible.

So:

I just got a call from a seller.

I was completely unprepared. I just send the mailers out yesterday. So I didn't go over the script.

I am not sure if he is very motivated.

He wants to sell,  but he started saying that he wouldn't go below 500K and if you put 100K into it you could easily resell it for about 1.2M

Those are really scary numbers.

So what I am going to do now is do my due diligence, do a driveby, and calculate the numbers.

He said he will be on a business trip and he can not deal with this too much till in March. (not sure if it is a motivated seller).

He did mention the house is not as updated as the others in the neighbourhood.

Other than my research now. 

WHat do you all advise I do?

I told him I will prepare an offer within a few days and I will email him the offer.

PLEASE can ANYONE recommend an attorney?  I don't care where in CT, I just really need an investor friendly one.

2Reply
139 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

Hi @Jerryll Noorden.  Scary and exciting at the same time, right?

I would start by looking up the property address at the county assessor's site. See what info they have on the property - who owns it, sales history, assessed value, lot size, house characteristics, etc. Make sure you are dealing with the owner. Never had one suggest a rehab budget and ARV before! Them being out of town AND suggesting and ARV has my hackles up a little bit. Double and triple check who owns it.

Then I would drive by, take notes and try and get some comps. Hard to make an offer without seeing inside.  First steps I would do.  Good luck and please keep us posted!

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tim Shin:
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tim Shin

    10. If success, a immediately get your signed contract to title co/lawyer (however your state does title), consider clouding title at the court, advertise your deal on BP, your local Reia, etc.

    Tim,  what do you mean clouding title at the court ?  can you please expound on that comment !   thank you

     I've never done it myself but to avoid predatory "wholesalers"stealing your deal from a dishonest or uninformed seller, you can go to the courthouse and place a block on title, typically for free, by showing your signed contract and intent to purchase indicating you are the only one able to purchase this property. This will prevent anyone from pulling title besides you. Your title company or lawyer can help you with this. 

  • Wholesaler · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    On one of my wholesale deals I saw the need to cloud the title. It's a simple process. You just go to the register of deeds with your contract and they will recorded it and that clouds the title. It seems like there was a $12 recording fee here in Tennessee

  • Investor · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I am starting to see Real Estate as any other deal.

    For me its about giving and getting and everyone/everything involved in the deal being the best it can be.

    For me deals do and hopefully will always bring out emotion in me, I am trying to focus on making it all positive.  Why stress? 

    My advise for any 1-100000 steps is be comfortable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.