I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

OK I got my first phone call. (Well this is the second) but this one seems really serious.

Would it be ok if I asked a few of you to walk me through my first call experience?

I will tell you exactly what is happening and can you all advice what I should do? I know my education and I think I now what to do, but I would rather not make any mistakes. Also other newbies could really benefit from this if it is layed out as detailed as possible.

So:

I just got a call from a seller.

I was completely unprepared. I just send the mailers out yesterday. So I didn't go over the script.

I am not sure if he is very motivated.

He wants to sell,  but he started saying that he wouldn't go below 500K and if you put 100K into it you could easily resell it for about 1.2M

Those are really scary numbers.

So what I am going to do now is do my due diligence, do a driveby, and calculate the numbers.

He said he will be on a business trip and he can not deal with this too much till in March. (not sure if it is a motivated seller).

He did mention the house is not as updated as the others in the neighbourhood.

Other than my research now. 

WHat do you all advise I do?

I told him I will prepare an offer within a few days and I will email him the offer.

PLEASE can ANYONE recommend an attorney?  I don't care where in CT, I just really need an investor friendly one.

2Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

Hi @Jerryll Noorden.  Scary and exciting at the same time, right?

I would start by looking up the property address at the county assessor's site. See what info they have on the property - who owns it, sales history, assessed value, lot size, house characteristics, etc. Make sure you are dealing with the owner. Never had one suggest a rehab budget and ARV before! Them being out of town AND suggesting and ARV has my hackles up a little bit. Double and triple check who owns it.

Then I would drive by, take notes and try and get some comps. Hard to make an offer without seeing inside.  First steps I would do.  Good luck and please keep us posted!

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hey Guys and gals,

    I just got a new call in.

    I am not sure how to handle this one.

    One of my mailers reached a seller (duh), but the house was listed. The EA called me up. was so excited and then he said he is an agent. So I was like  well crap!

    Then  he said....  the house is way WAY below value. I mean WAY below value.

    I told him I have a list of csh buyers (I have like 10 .. don't laugh at me).

    Is there anything I can do with this deal?

    Listed at 1.5M ARV would be over 2M

    Is anyone kind enough to guide a rookie through this one?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    I'd ask the realtor to e-mail you a blank PSA if you don't already have one. That's a bonus! Ask for financing and inspection addendums as well. Each state has their own standard realtor (MLS) forms.

    If it works out, I would submit an offer to the LA (sorry- what's an EA?) and make sure it's assignable.  Also have the closing agent hold the EM, not the brokerage.  

    @Chris Mason- "Baller real estate investors think they if they share my name with someone else, I wont have time to do their 2 or 3 deals a year that are workable using the types of financing I offer."   What the heck is a baller?  Thanks!    

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    I'd ask the realtor to e-mail you a blank PSA if you don't already have one. That's a bonus! Ask for financing and inspection addendums as well. Each state has their own standard realtor (MLS) forms.

    If it works out, I would submit an offer to the LA (sorry- what's an EA?) and make sure it's assignable.  Also have the closing agent hold the EM, not the brokerage.  

    @Chris Mason- "Baller real estate investors think they if they share my name with someone else, I wont have time to do their 2 or 3 deals a year that are workable using the types of financing I offer."   What the heck is a baller?  Thanks!    

     Sorry, I meant REA (Real estate agent) y keyboard sucks.

    Man this is so complicated.  "yeah go do wholesaling, easy money no risk no money down." my butt!

    I also was going to ask what a baller was. Sounded dirty o I didn't :)

    My turn, what is an LA? :)

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    LA = Listing Agent. Not so bad once you have the purchase and sale agreement (PSA).  Pretty self-explanatory.  Read the assignment section.  Cross out and initial 'not' assignable if printed that way.

    Thought EA was Exclusive Agent!  My tablet keyboard is the pits, too!

  • Los Angeles - Tujunga, CA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Love this thread. A baller is one who plays ball (basketball, baseball etc) and is very good at it. It's slang like gangsta.

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    I'd ask the realtor to e-mail you a blank PSA if you don't already have one. That's a bonus! Ask for financing and inspection addendums as well. Each state has their own standard realtor (MLS) forms.

    If it works out, I would submit an offer to the LA (sorry- what's an EA?) and make sure it's assignable.  Also have the closing agent hold the EM, not the brokerage.  

    @Chris Mason- "Baller real estate investors think they if they share my name with someone else, I wont have time to do their 2 or 3 deals a year that are workable using the types of financing I offer."   What the heck is a baller?  Thanks!    

     Sorry, I meant REA (Real estate agent) y keyboard sucks.

    Man this is so complicated.  "yeah go do wholesaling, easy money no risk no money down." my butt!

    I also was going to ask what a baller was. Sounded dirty o I didn't :)

    My turn, what is an LA? :)

     I meant "baller" as in the slang term for someone who is very very successful at what they do. Someone that started hustling & struggling like everyone else, that is now basically in the pro leagues. 

    Some part of my brain randomly reached back to middle school when a song about someone that was a "baller, a shot-caller" came out on the radio, and then my brain inserted that into my BP post in 2016. :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Well I learned something new today :)

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    10y

    Hey @Jerryll Noorden

    I receive correspondence from a realtor/attorney out of Philly. When I saw your post seeking legal counsel I asked her if she knew any real estate attorneys in CT. She doesn't but does know of one out of NY. Often they work a tri-state area so maybe the NY attorney works CT or knows someone that does. If you want I can have her send you the info of the attorney in NY. It's worth a shot. Just pm me your contact info and I'll have her forward it to you.

    Kudos,

    Mary 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Mary, That is so very kind of you.

    I will PM you :)

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 354 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    Three things you should know as a wholesaler before you start taking calls:
    A list of questions you want to ask about them and the property.
    What contract you will use and how to fill it out.
    What title company you will use.

    I wrote a blog post about it tonight. You can read it here if you are interested.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y

    Jeryll congratulations on the early success! Keep grounded and realize that you may have reached a fluke response rate for your first campaign. I was pulling those types of response rate but that died off to less than 3-5%. Consider using Jerry Puckett when you're ready to scale up. 

    I have some tips for you to build off others mentioned here before:

    1. Get your comps and values. Find out if your state shows accurate sales data for free, if not ask an agent to help you and let them know you're building the relationship in the long run and will eventually use them to buy and sell on the MLS with little work on their side. Texas is a non disclosure state so I must use an agent.

    2. Get your script ready. Build a rapport if you can, listen to their problems, ask them why they're selling, ask them address, number of rooms, bedrooms, if there's a garage, how many stories, how many sqft (many don't know so tell them you'll figure it out from county assessor/appraisal website), have the county appraisal website up to look up values while you're taking, ask foundation type, ask exterior type, age of house, basement and if it's finished, attic type and if it's finished, central heating and ac or window units/space heaters or whatever is normal in CT, roof condition, any back taxes or mortgage, then start to ask them if there have been any recent updates and how long ago that occurred, ask them what they think is wrong with it and how much they think it would cost to repair, ask them what they think their property would be worth if it were fully fixed up, then let them know you will either come see them or issue a an offer over the phone. Your preference. I no longer do offers over the phone. 

    3. When engaging the seller in person after knowing your comps, build rapport again try to listen to their story, be personal, and make the conversation about solving THEIR problem and what they need. Make sure to bring a purchase and sale agreement with you and make sure it has you listed as buyer and/assigns or whatever is legal in CT

    4. Estimate repairs

    5. Use your formula for ARV - your fee - repairs - end buyer investor profit - agent fee if needed = maximum allowable offer. This is more complicated if there is a mortgage or back taxes you need to deal with. Consider also subtracting closing cost so the end buyer can pay their closing cost.

    6. Understand where the seller's price point is and why. Why they are motivated, when they need the money, and

    7. Sit them down. Tell them what you think repairs need (consumer cost not investor cost) to be to get them fair market value. Tell them honestly that if they list it with an agent after repairs they will get a higher value but repairs will take x amount of time. Tell them that if they try to list with an agent now, they will have to pay a commission and holding costs where as with you they get the flat price after any taxes since you will get them closing costs since you are not an agent and this will likely net them more money.  Ask them three questions you know they will answer with a yes. Then, make your 1st offer lower than your max allowable offer and ask them if that sounds good to them.  Make sure they know you will close within 30 business days ( or 45 if you want).

    8. If success, sign there. If nnot, negotiate. Do not go above your Max allowable offer if you want to be a good wholesaler. 

    9. If you are unable to negotiate, keep in contact regularly to chat, see how things are going, and ask them if they will reconsider an up to date offer (market dependent). Keep trying, motivated sellers become more motivated. Unmotivated seemed become motivated sometimes. 

    10. If success, a immediately get your signed contract to title co/lawyer (however your state does title), consider clouding title at the court, advertise your deal on BP, your local Reia, etc. 

    11.  Set up visits for your prospective buyers and require a non refundable deposit for buyers to lock it down. High margin houses should be painful enough only serious buyers will bother you. $2500-5000. Caveat: fully refundable if you cannot close due to title or seller. Visits go best if you can schedule several buyers all at once. Builds competition and scarcity. If you want you can refund their deposit if they back out during their inspection period. It's nice for buyers but ****** for you. I don't recommend it. I'm sure this will start a flame war here but you can even ask @Sam Craven about this and he'll agree with me. I think he's podcast Episode 78. Or63. 

    12. Give your buyers an inspection period of no greater than 10-15 business days. 

    13. Got a legit buyer? Close at title co or lawyerbwith simultaneous blind closing. Check. Double check. And triple check your HUD documents before they send them to both parties. They can even close with mobile notary.

    14. Set up either wire or transfer for your check! 

    15. Profit!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Tim Shin

    10. If success, a immediately get your signed contract to title co/lawyer (however your state does title), consider clouding title at the court, advertise your deal on BP, your local Reia, etc.

    Tim,  what do you mean clouding title at the court ?  can you please expound on that comment !   thank you

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tim Shin

    10. If success, a immediately get your signed contract to title co/lawyer (however your state does title), consider clouding title at the court, advertise your deal on BP, your local Reia, etc.

    Tim,  what do you mean clouding title at the court ?  can you please expound on that comment !   thank you

     I've never done it myself but to avoid predatory "wholesalers"stealing your deal from a dishonest or uninformed seller, you can go to the courthouse and place a block on title, typically for free, by showing your signed contract and intent to purchase indicating you are the only one able to purchase this property. This will prevent anyone from pulling title besides you. Your title company or lawyer can help you with this. 

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Great job make sure you do your homework and enjoy the experience. The first one is when you learn the most!
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Tim Shin  

    Not sure were your getting your information but you cannot put a block on title you cannot just show up at the recorder show them a contract to purchase and they keep another from pulling title.. and who is to say the person doing this is not the one taking advantage of the seller  LOL...these are the types of things that are getting wholesalers in a bunch of trouble with regulators.. Not really knowing what your doing and thinking you do...

    I would keep that scheme in your back pocket. are you saying there is no honor among wholesalers  :)  and its unregulated activities and dog eat dog... I think that's how many view it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2013 · 276 posts · 147 votes
    10y

    Hey @Jay Hinrichs

    In CT, you can file a signed contract in the land records so it will be on title but I don't really know anyone that does this. 

    @Jerryll Noorden Congrats on taking MASSIVE ACTION!

    I actually live in Norwalk, right next door to you and grew up in Wilton. We should get together this week. I have some people you can talk to and I can help you out with comps and paperwork and such.

    @Everyone else. Very few people in our area use direct mail for this type of investing activity. Most homeowners get lots of postcards and mailers from real estate agents trying to list properties, but few get appeals to purchase properties, etc. I am mailing out about 700 mailers a week right now and typically get 10-20 calls a week. Most of them are just curious or upset about the mailers and telling me where I can shove it. Last year I did about 10,000 mailers spread out over 6 months and only got two deals. So this year I am both increasing my geographic area and number of mailers. While I am an agent I don't have time to really by listing properties, so I have also created a team of agents within my office that I can refer listings to for cut. Hopefully this will all help with the success rate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 106 votes
    10y

    as far as comps go.... If you are working with or know any local agents they can do comps for you or........ Try zillow or trulia or Redfin and look at only SOLD homes near the one you want to comp. pick about three with similar sqft, beds, baths, and also consider the condition they are in. Look within 1/2-1 mile that have sold in the last 3-6 months then average those sale prices.  

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tim Shin  

    Not sure were your getting your information but you cannot put a block on title you cannot just show up at the recorder show them a contract to purchase and they keep another from pulling title.. and who is to say the person doing this is not the one taking advantage of the seller  LOL...these are the types of things that are getting wholesalers in a bunch of trouble with regulators.. Not really knowing what your doing and thinking you do...

    I would keep that scheme in your back pocket. are you saying there is no honor among wholesalers  :)  and its unregulated activities and dog eat dog... I think that's how many view it.

     Jay, as I said I'm not familiar with the technique and I've never used it. I believe in honor amongst REAL legitimate wholesalers but there are a lot of misguided individuals out there who think they're doing wholesaling. It likely varies from state to state and I may not be using the correct terminology for it but I know in Texas you can put your contract on file at the court so that your intent to buy is there. A title company may pull title after, but they will not be able to execute any other additional contract because your contract is recorded already as being in process. 

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @David D'Errico:

    as far as comps go.... If you are working with or know any local agents they can do comps for you or........ Try zillow or trulia or Redfin and look at only SOLD homes near the one you want to comp. pick about three with similar sqft, beds, baths, and also consider the condition they are in. Look within 1/2-1 mile that have sold in the last 3-6 months then average those sale prices.  

    Right! If you have an intent to buy, you can get a login from Redfin which allows you to collect comps on solds. This is another tool in Texas to get you started. Some argue this is not accurate like the MLS but I haven't seen discrepancy yet. Your best comps are solds last 6 months within .5 mile with similar sqft and room/and bathroom count. Also, age +-5 years. If that doesn't work, expand their 12 months or 1 mile.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Tim Shin:
    Originally posted by @David D'Errico:

    as far as comps go.... If you are working with or know any local agents they can do comps for you or........ Try zillow or trulia or Redfin and look at only SOLD homes near the one you want to comp. pick about three with similar sqft, beds, baths, and also consider the condition they are in. Look within 1/2-1 mile that have sold in the last 3-6 months then average those sale prices.  

    Right! If you have an intent to buy, you can get a login from Redfin which allows you to collect comps on solds. This is another tool in Texas to get you started. Some argue this is not accurate like the MLS but I haven't seen discrepancy yet. Your best comps are solds last 6 months within .5 mile with similar sqft and room/and bathroom count. Also, age +-5 years. If that doesn't work, expand their 12 months or 1 mile.

     WOW, that is a great piece of advise Tim! Thank you very much!

    I am getting a lot of calls but no motivation, and a few of these calls are REALLY threatening, angry, telling me to shove the letter up my butt!

    Kind of scary really. I don't get it. WHY so angry? If someone wanted to buy MY house I would see it as a compliment! But these people act as if I did something really personal to them. Go figure.

    To be honest, I really still do not call this success. It is frustrating. I really have to force myself to keep going.

    I guess I see now why do many wholesalers do not lest. I really see that now. I keep thinking "I will not be one of THOSE wholesalers:. And I keep tugging on.

    Thanks for the encouragement all!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Daniel Raposo:

    Hey @Jay Hinrichs

    In CT, you can file a signed contract in the land records so it will be on title but I don't really know anyone that does this. 

    @Jerryll Noorden Congrats on taking MASSIVE ACTION!

    I actually live in Norwalk, right next door to you and grew up in Wilton. We should get together this week. I have some people you can talk to and I can help you out with comps and paperwork and such.

    @Everyone else. Very few people in our area use direct mail for this type of investing activity. Most homeowners get lots of postcards and mailers from real estate agents trying to list properties, but few get appeals to purchase properties, etc. I am mailing out about 700 mailers a week right now and typically get 10-20 calls a week. Most of them are just curious or upset about the mailers and telling me where I can shove it. Last year I did about 10,000 mailers spread out over 6 months and only got two deals. So this year I am both increasing my geographic area and number of mailers. While I am an agent I don't have time to really by listing properties, so I have also created a team of agents within my office that I can refer listings to for cut. Hopefully this will all help with the success rate.

     Yes Absolutely. There is a meeting on monday .. don't remember exactly where now. But I am going. Why don't you come too?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Tim Shin  you CAN record virtually anything you want..  that's not the issue its recording a document that buggers up a sellers title.. that is the issue.. and especially for a wholesaler who's only hope to close is to find another buyer and does not have the means personally to close.

    You can sue for specific performance if a seller won't sell once you have an executed contract that is binding but you have to put 100% of the money into escrow and leave it there while you duke it out..

    Just willy nilly recording purchase contracts that wholesalers get is pretty dangerous.. glad you do not do that.

  • Construction Trucking Owner / Operator · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    " I will hug him, and kiss him, and will call him George .." Got the reference! Haha ⛄️
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Andrade:

    " I will hug him, and kiss him, and will call him George .."
    Got the reference! Haha ⛄️

     :D :D You have to be old school to get that one!!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tim Shin  you CAN record virtually anything you want..  that's not the issue its recording a document that buggers up a sellers title.. that is the issue.. and especially for a wholesaler who's only hope to close is to find another buyer and does not have the means personally to close.

    You can sue for specific performance if a seller won't sell once you have an executed contract that is binding but you have to put 100% of the money into escrow and leave it there while you duke it out..

    Just willy nilly recording purchase contracts that wholesalers get is pretty dangerous.. glad you do not do that.

     Yeah, I've had a bad experience with another wholesaler who I don't trust at all anymore. He claimed to have clouded title on a deal I had a legitimate contract on but ultimately it turned out he never got the seller to sign the contract because he dropped the ball and the seller didn't want to work with him. So he never had a contract or lock down. He's the only one I know who actually uses title clouding in Houston. I don't do it so I hope my long post doesn't get remembered for this one thing I don't even do, @Jay Hinrichs!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.