I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

I GOT MY FIRST LEAD!!! This thing actually works!! HELP?

Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

OK I got my first phone call. (Well this is the second) but this one seems really serious.

Would it be ok if I asked a few of you to walk me through my first call experience?

I will tell you exactly what is happening and can you all advice what I should do? I know my education and I think I now what to do, but I would rather not make any mistakes. Also other newbies could really benefit from this if it is layed out as detailed as possible.

So:

I just got a call from a seller.

I was completely unprepared. I just send the mailers out yesterday. So I didn't go over the script.

I am not sure if he is very motivated.

He wants to sell,  but he started saying that he wouldn't go below 500K and if you put 100K into it you could easily resell it for about 1.2M

Those are really scary numbers.

So what I am going to do now is do my due diligence, do a driveby, and calculate the numbers.

He said he will be on a business trip and he can not deal with this too much till in March. (not sure if it is a motivated seller).

He did mention the house is not as updated as the others in the neighbourhood.

Other than my research now. 

WHat do you all advise I do?

I told him I will prepare an offer within a few days and I will email him the offer.

PLEASE can ANYONE recommend an attorney?  I don't care where in CT, I just really need an investor friendly one.

2Reply
140 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
10y

Hi @Jerryll Noorden.  Scary and exciting at the same time, right?

I would start by looking up the property address at the county assessor's site. See what info they have on the property - who owns it, sales history, assessed value, lot size, house characteristics, etc. Make sure you are dealing with the owner. Never had one suggest a rehab budget and ARV before! Them being out of town AND suggesting and ARV has my hackles up a little bit. Double and triple check who owns it.

Then I would drive by, take notes and try and get some comps. Hard to make an offer without seeing inside.  First steps I would do.  Good luck and please keep us posted!

See this reply in the discussion

104 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Tim Shin NP wholesaling is pretty wild there in Texas.. I mean you have people tieing up MLS properties then sending them out as wholesale deals.. not sure how naïve buyers are that would fall for that. LOL.. just wait it out and buy when the deal dies and its listed property just put back up offers in... if those deals are closing then the market is too frothy and stupid money is chasing these things

  • Construction Trucking Owner / Operator · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    Hey Jerryll Noorden , I'm in MA and I own a very small construction trucking business. We're done for the season and I find myself with lots of time on my hands. If there's anything I can do to aid you with getting these mailers out I may be willing. If for no more than to experience the process. DM me if I can help in any way
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Robert Andrade:

    Hey Jerryll Noorden , I'm in MA and I own a very small construction trucking business. We're done for the season and I find myself with lots of time on my hands. If there's anything I can do to aid you with getting these mailers out I may be willing. If for no more than to experience the process. DM me if I can help in any way

     Absolutely!!! I can use any and all the help I can get. You are too kind!!

  • Construction Trucking Owner / Operator · New Bedford, MA · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    No. Not that kind. You're having success with a process I've read a lot about and I see an opportunity to maybe learn something. My agenda is absolutely selfish and self-serving. LOL

    PM me and I'll get you my contact info  TTYL

  • Investor · Duarte, CA · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @jay hinrichs interesting comment about wholesalers selling mls properties. I actually have purchased properties wholesalers have brought to me from the mls, and I have also sold properties I tie up from the mls. In all the times Ive done both, Ive made money and I helped the end investor make money. Where you get the deal doesnt matter. What matters are the number. A wholesale deal to me is any deal I can get below After repair value and I have done deals off the mls at 65-75% below ARV. No need to discredit the mls, its just saturated which makes for harder pickings but youvan still make money :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    This is an interesting point I am struggling with.

    A REA called me up yesterday because his client received one of my letters.

    I told the REA I don't deal with listed properties but the REA insisted I look at an other property he had listed with potential for investors.

    So how does one deal with "deals" that ARE listed?

  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Great work @Jerryll Noorden! I haven't had much luck with mailers but when I put out my bandit signs I get bombarded with calls. You will find most are not motivated at all or see how much their house is "worth" on Zillow and think that is the Gospel. So many people are upside down in their mortgages and there's not a lot you can do for them. All it takes is that one deal and boom, you've got the itch.  Good luck to you and happy investing!

  • Longmont, CO · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I agree with Kaizen, enjoy reading all of this and learning a lot too. :)

    Jerryll, find out where are the local REI meetings been held and attend them, check meet-up example. You will meet so many investors, hard money lenders, title people, mortgage brokers, contractors, etc and everyone knows someone in their team, so you will get great leads and friends to brainstorm ideas.

    I know zillow may have outdated info, but you can find “recently sold” homes on that neighborhood and at least get a rough idea how much certain size home sells ion any given market.

    Good luck to an awesome start!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Greg Hammond:

    Great work @Jerryll Noorden! I haven't had much luck with mailers but when I put out my bandit signs I get bombarded with calls. You will find most are not motivated at all or see how much their house is "worth" on Zillow and think that is the Gospel. So many people are upside down in their mortgages and there's not a lot you can do for them. All it takes is that one deal and boom, you've got the itch.  Good luck to you and happy investing!

     Sadly bandit signs here are illegal... I called 4 cities and all said it was illegal, so I gave up. I wish I could use bandit signs. What I did is created a bandit sign magnet for my car. Tacky but since when do I care what anyone thinks about me ;)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mia Sine:

    I agree with Kaizen, enjoy reading all of this and learning a lot too. :)

    Jerryll, find out where are the local REI meetings been held and attend them, check meet-up example. You will meet so many investors, hard money lenders, title people, mortgage brokers, contractors, etc and everyone knows someone in their team, so you will get great leads and friends to brainstorm ideas.

    I know zillow may have outdated info, but you can find “recently sold” homes on that neighborhood and at least get a rough idea how much certain size home sells ion any given market.

    Good luck to an awesome start!

     Yes that is great advice everyone is giving me. I am going to attend my first this coming Monday.

    :) Thank you.

    Yeah I also was tempted into a mentorship program with a guru. ... Glad I didnt...

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    This is an interesting point I am struggling with.

    A REA called me up yesterday because his client received one of my letters.

    I told the REA I don't deal with listed properties but the REA insisted I look at an other property he had listed with potential for investors.

    So how does one deal with "deals" that ARE listed?

    I haven't done of these but theoretically this  how:

    You can represent yourself in the transaction with a purchase and sale agreement or you can use an agent. If you represent yourself, nothing changes on your offer side besides that you need to inform the seller or make sure the seller's agent informs them that they are taking their commission from your offer. You can suggest to the seller's agent that they only take 3% (out of the normal 6%) from the buyer or you can say that you are representing yourself so they get the full 6%. This might sway the seller's agent to push the seller to your price. (Don't try to get me on this one @Jay Hinrichs, like I said I've never done this and it's not really my job to suggest whether or not this is ethical of a real estate agent). Also doesn't change a whole lot if you are using a buyer's agent if you're not going to list your deal on the MLS. If you list your deal on the MLS with another seller's agent you need to adjust the formula. If you're using a generic formula like this:

    ARV*.7 - REPAIR COSTS - GROSS INVESTOR PROFITS (can range between 15%-35% of ARV depending on how risky the flip is, lower % for higher end flips in a hot market) - WHOLESALE FEE = MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE OFFER (MAO)

    You then would advertise the property (non-MLS) for MAO + WHOLESALE FEE = asking price to your investor.

    When selling on MLS you then also have to add in your agency fee of 6% of your your asking price so then you have to adjust the MAO accordingly to maintain your wholesale fee.

    You may also have to show certification of funds which requires you to use transactional lending. They can give you a certificate of funds for any amount but charge you a percentage for you to use at closing which can be like 1.25% of actual sold price. 

    Depending on the laws in your state, you may be required to do a double close. See @Sharon Vornholt's article: https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/12/1... and https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2012/12/1...

    There's a little more risk if you're required to do a double closing with transactional funding because you may be stuck with the property if the buyer backs out.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Wow, thank you very much. Learning a lot here!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Steve Vaughan:

    LA = Listing Agent. Not so bad once you have the purchase and sale agreement (PSA).  Pretty self-explanatory.  Read the assignment section.  Cross out and initial 'not' assignable if printed that way.

    Thought EA was Exclusive Agent!  My tablet keyboard is the pits, too!

     I thought it was "Lazy Ape". But that would make too much sense so I figured it had to mean something else.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Greg Hammond:

    Great work @Jerryll Noorden! I haven't had much luck with mailers but when I put out my bandit signs I get bombarded with calls. You will find most are not motivated at all or see how much their house is "worth" on Zillow and think that is the Gospel. So many people are upside down in their mortgages and there's not a lot you can do for them. All it takes is that one deal and boom, you've got the itch.  Good luck to you and happy investing!

     Yes. That is what I am getting. Either they call me a foreign prick and go back to "italy"  I am not from Italy..  Or they want to see how much I would offer.

    I learned the hard way the importance to establish motivation first before doing the work!

    P.S. Why do sooo many people dislike foreigners? Sheesh man!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    I decided to change my list. Inheritance list is too much of a gamble. Tons of calls no motivation. 

    The struggle goes on. Feels nice not to be completely alone as you all are following me through it all :)

    thanks!

    BTW..

    I have 2 more weeks to get a deal, if not I have to accept that friggin job offer. Working for the man... AGAIN!!!!  *#(@) 59($#

  • Realtor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 916 posts · 296 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    I decided to change my list. Inheritance list is too much of a gamble. Tons of calls no motivation. 

    The struggle goes on. Feels nice not to be completely alone as you all are following me through it all :)

    thanks!

    BTW..

    I have 2 more weeks to get a deal, if not I have to accept that friggin job offer. Working for the man... AGAIN!!!!  *#(@) 59($#

     I would stick with the inheritance list, but expand to other niches too.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Everyone swears by the inheritance list...

    I shall stick to it then... dang it!

  • West Bloomfield, MI · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    I've been on this thread all day. Thanks for posting, and congrats on getting all of those calls. Stick with it and get that deal in the next two weeks! I'm rooting for you. 

    Question: What did your letters say? And do you have some sort of script prepared for when your phone rings? I'm asking as a newbie myself. 

    Good luck and good work!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Hi there,

    Thank you very much.

    My letters just say my name, I look like a monkey, smell like 2, but all monkeys are cute so that is a good thing. and if they do not call me I will  TP their house!

    Dude don't do that.

    I am Kidding.

    I just say my name, and I want to buy their house seriously that's it.

    I have a script but thus far I have not been able to follow it. But I am getting better. My suggestion is record all calls and listen to yourself after the phonecall. It is a good thing you all can not hear me. I have a STRONG accent and I think that is messing me up. People here do not take kindly to foreigners  I have noticed. Maybe I should say.. when they are already angry, they gladly start insulting my origins and tell me I should go back where I came from. This is happening constantly.

    Regardless... I talk FAST, so it is a lot of effort for me to slow down, and try to calm my accent a bit. Here in the USA  often accent = incompetent. They feel like I can't speak English and am suddenly inferior.  I hate it but it is just something I need to work on.

    Once you hear yourself on the phone you can adjust the way you talk to make sure you sound like you want to sound.

    Because I am so nervous I just blank on the script. But now I am more annoyed than anything else and thus I do it a lot better now. I just don't care anymore.

    My mistake was I do too much effort. Drive the house the second they give me an address. I need to first determine motivation.  Shnitzels look at me.. giving advice like a pro. I am just a newbie, just so you know.

    Stay tuned my mysterious faced friend. 

    I have a feeling with my new list I will get a deal after tuesday!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 242 posts · 81 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

    Hi there,

    Thank you very much.

    My letters just say my name, I look like a monkey, smell like 2, but all monkeys are cute so that is a good thing. and if they do not call me I will  TP their house!

    Dude don't do that.

    I am Kidding.

    I just say my name, and I want to buy their house seriously that's it.

    I have a script but thus far I have not been able to follow it. But I am getting better. My suggestion is record all calls and listen to yourself after the phonecall. It is a good thing you all can not hear me. I have a STRONG accent and I think that is messing me up. People here do not take kindly to foreigners  I have noticed. Maybe I should say.. when they are already angry, they gladly start insulting my origins and tell me I should go back where I came from. This is happening constantly.

    Regardless... I talk FAST, so it is a lot of effort for me to slow down, and try to calm my accent a bit. Here in the USA  often accent = incompetent. They feel like I can't speak English and am suddenly inferior.  I hate it but it is just something I need to work on.

    Once you hear yourself on the phone you can adjust the way you talk to make sure you sound like you want to sound.

    Because I am so nervous I just blank on the script. But now I am more annoyed than anything else and thus I do it a lot better now. I just don't care anymore.

    My mistake was I do too much effort. Drive the house the second they give me an address. I need to first determine motivation.  Shnitzels look at me.. giving advice like a pro. I am just a newbie, just so you know.

    Stay tuned my mysterious faced friend. 

    I have a feeling with my new list I will get a deal after tuesday!

     Happy Valentine's Day! Wholesaling is hard so I wouldn't recommend quitting your job to do it. So figure out if you can afford to not take a job. It took me months to get my first deal. 

    1. Figure out your hourly rate at work and replicate that for your minimum wholesale deal per month. 

    2. Don't give up. Keep calling them every 2 weeks.

    3. Write/type your script and build it with blanks for the house details I told you so when you get called you have it there. Carry it with you

    4. You can get a virtual answering service that will take some details down and email you the contact info. This will give you some time to think, look up the property, and make you seem more legitimate and fronted by non accented people. Then accent boss calls the lead back. 

    5. PM me if you want more specific help

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Tim.

    Seriously you rock man!

  • Coon Rapids, MN · Member since 2015 · 67 posts · 23 votes
    10y

     Hey Josh,

    Sure feel free to ask. I do not believe in "competition" so ask away.

    Some things I am experimenting with to see how it works, but when I have a report I will share it all if you like. I just need to send all of my mailers.

    I just wanted to touch on the competition part as a new wholesaler myself. The two phone calls I received recently were from people who received a half dozen mailers before mine. Why they called me? I can only speculate but it was advantageous for me to have competition. Unfortunately they didn't keep their mailer so I can see what they're sending... 

    Regardless, youre doing it right by moving forward with the info you have and figuring it as you go. Good luck!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rob Grove:

     Hey Josh,

    Sure feel free to ask. I do not believe in "competition" so ask away.

    Some things I am experimenting with to see how it works, but when I have a report I will share it all if you like. I just need to send all of my mailers.

    I just wanted to touch on the competition part as a new wholesaler myself. The two phone calls I received recently were from people who received a half dozen mailers before mine. Why they called me? I can only speculate but it was advantageous for me to have competition. Unfortunately they didn't keep their mailer so I can see what they're sending... 

    Regardless, youre doing it right by moving forward with the info you have and figuring it as you go. Good luck!!

     That is interesting.

    And I also noticed something similar. If you go to youtube and you look at all these guys teaching others on how to's, often you see these thuggish guys that start their videos with stuff like

    "YO YO YO WAT UP, Diz iz yo dawg bringing you another blah blah "

    If that is the competition, yes of course people will choose me an educated man, with manners etc. etc. to do a deal with. So yes in that case I guess competition can drive you up.

    People just need to stop, step back and think, see what they are doing. And I bet they will be a lot more successful.

    But look at me.. talking as if I got anywhere. A few phonecalls, successful doesn not one make.

    But a good point you bring up!

  • Investor · Northern California · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 40 votes
    10y

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    :) 

    Good old days!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.