Puerto Rico deal

Puerto Rico deal

Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 12 votes

So, I'm having a really hard time with obtaining all the property information I need to analyze this deal. I'm thinking about doing a contract and forwarding it to a realtor friend of mind. 

Any thoughts?

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
10y

Hi Tangala. Are you from PR? Do you have friends and/or family there? Are you planning to go live there? I ask because I am from Puerto Rico I have friends and family from there and I lived there for 15 years and I have very little motivation to invest there (for now). As you must of heard PR is going through some serious stuff and will be for quite a while and as much as I love my island I love my ROI more. Until they get the job and crime thing under control I wouldn't buy and would not recommend for anyone to buy. Just my opinion.

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    Hi Tangala. Are you from PR? Do you have friends and/or family there? Are you planning to go live there? I ask because I am from Puerto Rico I have friends and family from there and I lived there for 15 years and I have very little motivation to invest there (for now). As you must of heard PR is going through some serious stuff and will be for quite a while and as much as I love my island I love my ROI more. Until they get the job and crime thing under control I wouldn't buy and would not recommend for anyone to buy. Just my opinion.

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 65 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Hi Omar and no I'm not from PR. My coworker mom has a home she's trying to sell because she lives with her in Florida.  

    Thanks for responding. 

  • Wholesaler · Katy, TX · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Tangala Williams I sent you a PM.

  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    PR is near bankruptcy and it would be devastating similar to Detroit.

    I would wait until the dust settles, but when it's clear what the future will be (haha) for PR, buyers will get access to great deals, while IMO, sellers will suffer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced How do you feel about investing in vacation rentals? We're thinking about picking up a property in Vieques or in the La Placita area of San Juan. The prices are very attractive and platforms like Airbnb and Vrbo make it easy to generate ROI...

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Chris Payne I wish I could help you more but I can't advise you because I have no current experience there. I love vacation rentals and managed properly can be a gold mine. If I was going to invest there I would look at how saturated the market is and seek some more active investors in the area for guidance. Hope this helps. Also, stay tuned for the what the government is going to do with the debt. It's quite sad that such a beautiful place has been managed to bankruptcy.

    @Tangala Williams I hope the post didn't come across as harsh. PR is just in bad shape. Once I see the light at the end of the tunnel I would invest in PR. That being said I'm sure there are some smart people making a killing in PR right now. If you have the time and money to wait it out I think it could work.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Omar Merced Thank you.

  • Lender · Camuy, Puerto Rico · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 52 votes
    10y

    Hello Tangala, 

    I'm a lender here In PR (First Equity Mortgage Bankers Inc. FEMBI).. Our main office is in Miami, however I office out our San Juan location and have lived here on the island for apprx 2 years.  I work mainly w/ individuals from the US that have an interest in RE investment opportunities, those looking take advantage of the Act 20,22 tax incentives or those that simply would like to have a vacation home getaway. 

    For help w/ your original question, if you have the legal description of the property I could help you out w/ obtaining property info via some of the websites we have access to here that aren't available to the general public.   

     The residential RE market here is PHENOMENAL both here on the main island and the neighboring ones ( i.e. Vieques) I have contacts w/ a number of agents here and we have attorneys in our office that I can gladybounce questions off of should you need any help.  As for the economic situation, this week is paramount as there is an imminent vote ( check out info about PROMESA) that would really help in turning the tide for the locals here, however from an investment standpoint the rental potential is extremely high depending on the area you buy in, rates are still historically low if you have the desire to finance, and I've never seen home prices so low.   

    Let me know if you still need any help.. Always glad to lend a hand:)

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 38 votes
    9y
    Lawrence Johnson please PM me. I'm interested in investing in PR.
  • Realtor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Lawrence Johnson please shoot a PM my way. My wife and I are looking at some properties in Old San Juan and Vieques, and would love to get some information on potential financing. Thank you!

  • Investor · San Juan, PR · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    I buy properties in Puerto Rico. Send me the properties being sold through aPrivate Message and I will make an offer.

  • Stonington, CT · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Lawrence Johnson please PM me have land that I would like to sell in PR maybe you can help with. Also would like to look into investing in old San Juan. Awesome post guys
  • Realtor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    I do agree with @Lawrence Johnson. Investors are investing in Puerto Rico everyday. 

    Why not invest?

    We have:

    1) The best weather year around

    2) We have some of the most beautiful beaches minutes away

    3) We speak the language (English)

    4) Puerto Rico is not a foreign country. 

    5) US Dollars = US Possession 

    6) We live were people vacation (Tourist loves PR)

    7) Buyers Market with thousands of properties under Market value

    8)............

    There's so much to say, but here's a lil of data for those that don't know. 

    Everyone is talking about PR and what I can say is that Puerto Rico = making alot of $$$

  • Investor · Wayne, PA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    i am planing on going to PR after the hoildays and would like to look at some properties in PR if i can find some one to manage them

  • Realtor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @bill Tallman, I would gladly help you. Msg me!

  • Realtor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2014 · 54 posts · 20 votes
    9y
    Alex Castro , PM me! My wife and I have been looking for REA's to help us jump in -
  • Jericho, NY · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 49 votes
    9y
    I am interested in some PR property as well. Feel free to pm or email me.
  • Realtor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Mark Manship 

    @ Juan Reyes 

    I'm more than happy to help you. Check your inbox. Thanks!!

  • Investor · Sunnyside, Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 213 posts · 159 votes
    9y
    Interested as well. However last time I checked, properties in good areas were only trading at 85-90 cents on the dollar. Not nearly enough of a discount to make up for the downside risk.
  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    9y

    @Chris Payne @Steven Anderson @Mark Manship @Alejandro Herryman @Gerard Gonzalez @Alexander Castro

    Hello All, I'm looking to begin purchasing some single and multifamily holds in PR. Prefiero Area Metro. Have any of you guys jump in yet? My goal is to make my first purchase in the first quarter next year. Also, will be visiting soon. Would like to plan it around a meetup. Any good REIAs out there? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 260 votes
    9y

    Also, just read my post from earlier this year. Funny how things change.

  • Realtor · Vero Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Omar Merced. Great decision!! Check your inbox

  • Stonington, CT · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Omar Merced I have not purchased anything. Was looking to maybe sell land or build on family owned land. Haven't really made any leeway though. Our land is zones agricultural which is killing us.
  • Bayamon, Puerto Rico · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hi all! I was wondering if anyone could share a bit of insight/personal experience about the potential of investing in rental properties over in PR.

    I'm a 21 year old that stumbled upon biggerpockets about 2 months ago and I've never been so excited about something in my life. Ive been reading up on real estate books and listening to podcasts and now I'm looking to learn more about the RE market here in my island. 

    No one in my family or any of my friends have any experience dealing with real estate so when I try to get their opinions on it I always get the same "things are really bad, there's no opportunities on the island." "Move to the states, things are better over there". 

    If anyone could take a moment to enlighten me on the topic and push me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Also, if you live here on the island maybe we can talk about it over some coffee or something (my treat :) ) 

    I'm very eager to learn and take the leap into the world of rental property investing. 

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    @Omar Merced Would be interested to hear what's made you more bullish on investing in PR compared to a few months ago. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.