What would you do with $160,000 to invest???

What would you do with $160,000 to invest???

Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote

What would you do with $160,000 to invest???  Newbie wanting to get involved with real estate investing.  I'm in Baton Rouge Louisiana #rallypossum

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Lafayette/Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 915 votes
10y

I would not tell too many people, first.  Then go out and invest like you have no money and see what's possible.

You'll get a lot of suggestions, but it boils down to your level of risk tolerance and what your goal(s) are?  No matter what strategy you pursue, you should keep about 20% as a cash reserve.  And expect the unexpected!

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Lafayette/Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 915 votes
    10y

    I would not tell too many people, first.  Then go out and invest like you have no money and see what's possible.

    You'll get a lot of suggestions, but it boils down to your level of risk tolerance and what your goal(s) are?  No matter what strategy you pursue, you should keep about 20% as a cash reserve.  And expect the unexpected!

  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 8 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I'm new to this but I agree with Robert

  • Opelousas, LA · Member since 2014 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Ryan welcome to BP!!!!.... This site is great!!!
  • ., OH · Member since 2015 · 361 posts · 127 votes
    10y

    @Ryan Chenevert What are your goals..??  Where do you want to be in 5, 10, 25 years..

    What is your risk tolerance? Is it just you, or do you have a family to add to this equation..?

    Do you want to invest actively (flip / landlording) or passive (notes, HM loans)?

    Give us some details and we (by we I mean myself & other more experienced ppl) can help!!

  • Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Jay J. high risk- i'm young.  I'm open to both active and passive.  I'm a lawyer by day, so I'm looking for income mainly for "retirement."  

  • Investor · Crossville, TN · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    Try most of the time to make 10 % on your money in ample time frame.

    $160000 could possibly buy 2 SFH 's and buying the right ones could pocket a investor $15000 to $30000 per home.

    This all depends on location , available inventory, rehab to unit.

    Welcome aboard!

  • Investor · Baton Rouge, LA · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 219 votes
    10y

    Loan it to me over and over again at 7% interest and sit back and collect dividends!

  • Investor · Andover, MA · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 67 votes
    10y

    Or finance a 500K apartment complex with $100k down, save about 60k for the unexpected, and start collecting rents! 

    As others have suggested, it will boil down to your risk tolerance...

    Good luck on your next moves!

    Flavio

  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    I to work full time as an RN and have the goal of using it as a retirement fund. That being said, Flips and Rehabbing can be a fulltime job because it's very time sensitive. My personal opinion, and that's all it is, I would spend some time looking and talking to other investors to learn how to analyze a property. Then when you have a decent property selected put about 20-30% down on it and see if you like being a landlord. I prefer lower middle class homes due to decent cash flow and less likely to have a whole lot of rift raft if you screen tenants properly (lot of info here to do that, simple check lists really). Plus with decent equity and a little cash sitting back, that's damn good insurance for any newbie mistakes. Cash flow and ROI are what I care about most. All about finding your niche and what your goals are. There is many ways to do this right.

  • IA · Member since 2015 · 304 posts · 152 votes
    10y

    I would leave that $160K right where it is and spend a few months educating yourself on the subject of real estate investing. Read books, this forum, the BP podcasts, and talk to people. Then you can make an educated decision on how that money should best be invested to meet your personal goals. Good luck!

  • Investor · West Monroe, LA · Member since 2015 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    @Tom V. I agree... Educate yourself first. I saved my first DP over a year before I bought my first investment property. But whatever you do dont let analysis paralysis get you. Your first deal doesn't have to be "perfect".

  • Real Estate Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2010 · 21 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    I also agree with Tom, you should study Real Estate carefully before you invest your savings. There are a lot of investors who went bankruptcy because they don't know what they are really doing.

  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP @Ryan Chenevert,

    I think it boils down to what your comfortable handling while working your full-time career. Perhaps spreading out the $160k over a few SFH's would be ideal? Or perhaps cashing down one or two cash flowing SFH's would work for you to manage yourself? Or if you want to be hands off and hire a management company, maybe look for a duplex or small apartment? Definitely a lot of options so take your time and find a niche that you want to analyze. Also @Robert Leonard has a great point to remember to keep a nice reserve budget on whatever choice you pick as many new investors get in trouble by spending or borrowing to the gills then when the furnace or AC goes out they are putting their life savings or credit cards to work or worse.

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    If you are going with single family homes:

    **You could make an all-cash on one house worth $160,000.  Rents between $1300-1500.

    Quick close. No interest deduction. No debt pay-down.

    **You could put 20% down on 4 houses...down payments of $40k each, of about $180-190k. Similar rents of $1500. Cash flow each of about $300, or $1200 total.  Interest deduction, and tenants' rents contribute to debt pay-down.  These features add to your returns.

    **You could put 10% down on an owner-occupied house, and use the balance to improve the property, over time.  Live in the house for 2 years while improving the property.  Sell tax-free, with capital gains exclusion.  Move out, and do another in 2 years.  Move out, and do another in 2 years.  Tax benefits on interest paid.  No rents.  Capital Gains from equity build-up???  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.