New guy needs opinions on a 156 year old house

New guy needs opinions on a 156 year old house

clarendon hills, IL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes

Hello all! The wife and I have been lurking for a while learning as much as we can and reading up on real estate while we saved up for our own home and then began saving up for our first rental property. However, in the last two months we've gone from "we'll buy our home next year and maybe get a rental property a year or two after that" to closing on our home in the next few weeks and an opportunity fell into our lap to have our first rental property in the next few months.

Back story on the property.

My wife's uncle currently owns a single family home that was built in 1860. He inherited it from my wife's great aunt when she passed about 10 years ago and has sat unoccupied since then. Her uncle lives in Florida while the property is in Illinois(2 hours from us) so he maybe gets out to the house once a year. Paying the property taxes are just a drain on his bank account and he wants to get rid of it, but wants to keep it in the family. So rather than sell it, he has offered the house to us. He does not want to be compensated, he just wants us to take over the property taxes($1400/year) and we can keep it as a weekend getaway destination or rent it out. Otherwise he will just sell it. 

The house itself is a two bedroom, one bath with just under 1000 square feet. We know that it needs a new roof, new drywall in a couple rooms, new electrical, new plumbing, new paint in and out, refinish hardwood floors, and new appliances. I can do most of the work myself so I am estimating a $20k rehab.

After all is said and done, based on comp rentals in the area and with no mortgage, it should be able to cashflow $338/month after prop taxes, insurance, and expenses.

We're going to go see the house in a month to check everything out. Being such an old house, what sort of things should I look for outside of the norm? Or should the age of this house put up a red flag right out the gate? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
10y
Howard Knutson Karen O. I agree with Karen get an inspection. BUT not a general one. Get an electrician a plumber and somebody to check the septic system well and service lines. If its on city water and sewer than those service lines need checking. And I mean dig them up and look. In the old days they used tar paper sewer pipe, then clay sewer pipe, and then finally plastic sewer pipe in recent times. They used galvanized pipe for water lines in older houses they plug up with rust barnacles. They also rust from the inside out. They can leak causing a well pump to burn up. If it's a well have the potability and flow checked. If it was dug in the old days it may have been dug by hand and will not have any storage. Any one of these items can burn more than your $20k. Be damn sure about this stuff!! Then get your home inspector he can tell you about the rest. Make sure he checks the foundation. We had 4 houses like the one you described. They are cool but one was torn down and 2 required complete extensive remodels including water and sewers. Very very spendy. The 4 th had been lived in and remodeled as late as 1980. It got the water line and re wired plus a light remake. About 60k. Make damn sure you know what you are taking on. Don't look for a quick turn on a project like this. Look before you leap!!
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Reading, PA · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 119 votes
    10y

    Any time I hold an older house as a rental I just REALLY pad my rehab costs and I factor in a higher maintenance cost.  I flipped an old farmhouse a year ago and once you start  tearing those old houses apart... replacing things isn't as easy as you think.  A lot of new investors also make the mistake of thinking their expenses are: taxes, insurance and utilities. If you are going to hold it as a rental and its a single family home- tenant should be paying all the utilities. But as the landlord, you will have vacancy and maintenance expense. And with an older house you should be factoring in a higher maintenance expense because the home is older (stuff cost more to replace and there are more problems). So, for example, in my area I use a 5% vacancy and 10% maintenance expense. (% of monthly rent). If I buy a really old rental that I'm going to hold (old plumbing, older heater, etc). I might factor in a 15% or higher maintenance expense depending on the age of the building.  So basically.. pad your numbers :) And you should be fine.  It is hard to say w/out seeing the house. My suggestion if it is vacant ... would be to take a contractor with you when you do a walk through. Even if you have to pay them something for their time. Get their thoughts on the age of everything, upkeep, maintenance, etc.  Even when I think I know... contractors have opened my eyes to many things I didn't catch myself... even with experience.    

  • Real Estate Investor · Amherst, VA · Member since 2015 · 386 posts · 400 votes
    10y

    Sounds like a good deal to me, but I would really quadruple check those numbers. You might be able to, but do you really want to do the plumbing, roofing and electrical work yourself on a project like this? I'd be wary.. You haven't told us if you're a general contractor or something but it would be hard to do everything up to code as a DIY-er.

  • NYC, NY · Member since 2016 · 617 posts · 456 votes
    10y

    Since you basically got the house for free, why don't you just pay for an inspection like you would if you were buying it.  A multi page report on all aspects of the house should be included and cover everything from roof to basement, siding to mechanicals, flooring to fixtures.  

    I had one done on a house about 5 years ago, and it spelled out everything that needed attention.  In short, money well spent.

  • clarendon hills, IL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thanks for the input so far everyone! I am not a contractor so I know I would need to hire out for the electrical and plumbing. The rest of the work I have dabbled in and with the minimal holding costs I'd be able to take my time to do it right.

    At a minimum we will get an inspector out to the property and go from there.

  • Investor · Bethel, AK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    10y
    Howard Knutson Karen O. I agree with Karen get an inspection. BUT not a general one. Get an electrician a plumber and somebody to check the septic system well and service lines. If its on city water and sewer than those service lines need checking. And I mean dig them up and look. In the old days they used tar paper sewer pipe, then clay sewer pipe, and then finally plastic sewer pipe in recent times. They used galvanized pipe for water lines in older houses they plug up with rust barnacles. They also rust from the inside out. They can leak causing a well pump to burn up. If it's a well have the potability and flow checked. If it was dug in the old days it may have been dug by hand and will not have any storage. Any one of these items can burn more than your $20k. Be damn sure about this stuff!! Then get your home inspector he can tell you about the rest. Make sure he checks the foundation. We had 4 houses like the one you described. They are cool but one was torn down and 2 required complete extensive remodels including water and sewers. Very very spendy. The 4 th had been lived in and remodeled as late as 1980. It got the water line and re wired plus a light remake. About 60k. Make damn sure you know what you are taking on. Don't look for a quick turn on a project like this. Look before you leap!!
  • clarendon hills, IL · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Ralph R. Thanks for the great input. We will take this into account when we are there. Guess I better make some calls leading up to the visit.
  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @Howard Knutson Not sure what insurance #'s you are using, but if you are using the current insurance program as a reference, I would suggest getting a new quote with the use being a rental.  It's not impossible to get insurance for an older building, but a lot of the insurance carrier do not go beyond 100 years old or prior to 1900. 

    You don't want to get to claosing and find out the insurance is 3-4x's what you expected.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.