Grant Hamlin
  • Bend , OR
Votes |
Should I finish my college degree?

Grant Hamlin
  • Bend , OR
Posted Jun 10 2017, 14:31

Here's my situation, 

My name is Grant Hamlin and I am 21 years old. Right now I am attending college in Oregon and am pursuing a Business Degree. I am 2 years in and am now applying for Oregon State Universities Business Pro School. Anything business related fascinates me and I love learning more about money and starting a business. Although I only have 2 years left, for the past few years I have struggled with the fact that college education is a hot topic and many believe it is not worth it. Growing up I was fortunate to have mentors in my life who are real estate investors and are very successful. They have motivated me and created my passion for real estate. The past few years I have been listening to podcasts on BP and reading various different books. I am so anxious to get started and make my first deal and start as soon as I can. I created this forum because I need some advice. For the past year or so, I have contemplated whether or not I should finish my bachelors degree because of a few different reasons. First off, the college courses I am taking are not satisfying me for the amount of money I am paying. The next two years I will have to take out student loans if I want to continue. And lastly, I know I want to be a real estate investor in the future, which I believe you do not need a college degree. I have spent countless hours in my head debating this situation and I would love to hear what the Bigger Pockets community has to say about it. Here's a few questions for discussion. 

Is college education worth the student debt? 

Thoughts on becoming a agent without a degree? 

Seems like most people have normal jobs and start investing on the side... anyone start out a full time real estate investor? 

Loading replies...