Angry Homeowners From Direct Mail Campaign!

Angry Homeowners From Direct Mail Campaign!

Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes

I am assuming it comes with the territory but I am into my 5th mailing for motivated sellers and I can not believe how angry people get about mail!! Do you all experience the same thing?

Thanks in advance,

Troy

1Reply
118 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 188 votes
8y
I tend to get three versions of the angry caller: 1. Paranoid-“How did you get my name and address?! Tell me you stalker!” Also sometimes a version of “How did you know I was thinking about selling!?” 2. Offended- “Why do you want to buy MY home?” Or “What made you think I would want to sell?!” 3. Misanthrope- Lately these ones have been mailing me back to my PO box. Last one was the front of my envelope cut off with their address circled and “Remove from mailing list” written beside it. My goal on the phone is to still get a number. I am also local so a lot of times I ease people’s concerns about why I’m mailing them or how I got their information by saying “you property meets my basic criteria for something I would want to own. I may have driven by and just liked the way it looked and where is was and decided to mail you. I pull all my info from the county auditors website. I would be happy to remove you from my mailing list if you find my letter bothersome but if you were to sell how much would you need to get?”
See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Hahaha oh yes.  They will be angry.  Not only do I get angry calls from homeowners, but I also get angry calls from their realtors who claim that I'm trying to steal their listings.

    Unfortunately this is just a part of the game.  Learn to brush it off and keep moving forward

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks Michael its nice to have company!!

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 104 votes
    8y
    Par for the course. I thank them for saving me a stamp.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks Joe!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Hey Michael Ablan,

    What has been working best for you in locating off market properties?

    Thanks,

    Troy

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Hi Joe Davalos,

    What has been working for you in finding off market properties?

    Thank you,

    Troy

  • Specialist · Lawrence, MA · Member since 2017 · 365 posts · 150 votes
    8y

    Homes tap into an emotional place @Troy Nonnemacher I would just say thanks for letting you know, empathize with their frustration, and keep on keeping on :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks McKinley!! What is working best for you for finding off market motivated sellers??

  • Investor · Morrisville, NC · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 673 votes
    8y

    @Troy Nonnemacher . Never let this discourage you.  Unfortunately it is part of the "game". Good luck. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thank you Henri!! What's working best for you for finding motivated sellers?

  • Investor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 188 votes
    8y
    I tend to get three versions of the angry caller: 1. Paranoid-“How did you get my name and address?! Tell me you stalker!” Also sometimes a version of “How did you know I was thinking about selling!?” 2. Offended- “Why do you want to buy MY home?” Or “What made you think I would want to sell?!” 3. Misanthrope- Lately these ones have been mailing me back to my PO box. Last one was the front of my envelope cut off with their address circled and “Remove from mailing list” written beside it. My goal on the phone is to still get a number. I am also local so a lot of times I ease people’s concerns about why I’m mailing them or how I got their information by saying “you property meets my basic criteria for something I would want to own. I may have driven by and just liked the way it looked and where is was and decided to mail you. I pull all my info from the county auditors website. I would be happy to remove you from my mailing list if you find my letter bothersome but if you were to sell how much would you need to get?”
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Jonathan Holmes! I appreciate the insight!!  What is working best for you to find motivated sellers?

    Thanks,

    Troy

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    @McKinley Crowley, What is working the best for you for finding motivated sellers?

    Thank you,

    Troy

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    @Jonathan Holmes, Thanks so much for the insight!! I appreciate the insight!! What is working best for you to find motivated sellers?

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    @Michael Ablan, Thanks again for the insight!! What is working best for you to find motivated sellers? 

    Thank you,

    Troy

  • Investor · Warren, OH · Member since 2015 · 168 posts · 188 votes
    8y
    I build my own lists at the moment. Right now I look for owners who either have had the property for 15 years or more, tax delinquency or the property seems rough. Better yet all three! After that I try to figure out if the property meets my criteria which can be harder to determine so when in doubt I mail them. More important than anything is regular consistent mailings that get a response. The calls will come in waves but once I have them on the phone I can dig in and see what there is to see. You will still end up with that vast majority being nothing calls but I believe persistence pays in all things.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thank you very much @Jonathan Holmes!

  • Rayetta ChavezPro Member
    Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 17 votes
    8y
    Hi Troy, I am too going through the same but like they say stay strong and persistent. I was a bit thrown off when I’ve heard couple voicemails. It’s sorta funny when they say stop calling them but yet it’s the mailer they got, I didn’t call them.
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thank you @Rayetta Chavez!! I always wonder if they call the car dealerships and yell at them!! What has been working best for you finding motivated sellers?

    Thank you,

    Troy

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    It goes with the territory. Real estate agents and investors have all gone through it.

    Gotta have thick skin in marketing.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks @David Rubio I appreciate the response! 

  • West Lafayette, IN · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Having been on the receiving end of direct mail, my advice would be not tell the truth or at least not lie.  It takes less that 5 minutes on google to find out that a story about "growing up in the country and looking for land on which raise your own family" is a total fabrication and that the letter writer is a realtor.  That being said it must have worked out for that realtor as he now has 6-12 listings for 10+ acre parcels.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    8y

    they are doing you a favor,  remove them from the list and move on. don't forget to thank them! haha

  • Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 39 votes
    8y

    I find it interesting that the homeowners would get so angry from direct mail. Most people already get a bunch of a junk marketing emails so what's the big deal with another note card? Personally, I kind of like it because it makes me feel like my property is desirable!

    I should also note that I don't get direct mail for all of my properties, which makes me wonder if people just aren't interested in those areas or if they think these properties are bad investments...

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Lewisburg, PA · Member since 2017 · 103 posts · 45 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the insight @Joy Sanchez I really appreciate it!!

    Troy

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.